Old 08-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 131/134/120

Height: 5'6"

Firefly, I share your dilemma. I have been trying to do a paleo/atkins combo--which is also a bit split personality. I'm taking things from the induction idea that I'll do for a couple of weeks but am not following it as strictly--maybe eating a little more iceberg lettuce than is allowed--an occasional tablespoon of raw almond butter --and I'll see how it goes.

I have been eating some chicken products and a lot of eggs and cheese, which I normally really don't like to eat so much of. It feels gross and it's hard in my area to find grass fed animal products on a daily basis and I hate supporting the big animal farming industries.

Normally I like to eat a lot of sprouted legumes, nuts, greek and organic yogurt, and lots of veggies, but my weight crept up from too many dried fruits=sugar/carbs and emotional overeating.

I eat canned wild alaskan salmon from trader joes and like it a lot, but don't want to eat several times a week due to mercury.

Can you stock up on a variety of different cheeses and work them in with
eggs?

Kaplods, I'm really interested that you can eat more calories if you have lower carbs and less calories if you have more carbs. This really seems to show that it's mainly the carbs that are affecting your weight loss.
Your commitment is impressive.

I love how people share here without judging. I sometimes worry so much about screwing up that I don't wanna bother managing my eating lifestyle at all but that's counter productive.
change4thegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/129

Height: 5'4"

Change4thegood -- Have you tried sardines yet? I just recently became a sardine devotee! They're relatively inexpensive, often come packed in olive oil, and they're low on the fish food-chain (which means that you don't really have to worry about mercury). My favorite of the readily available brands is King Oscar. I've been getting a bit grossed out about chicken, beef, etc., too -- so, the sardines have been a life saver (similar to your salmon, I imagine).

:-)
SissieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 131/134/120

Height: 5'6"

SissieSue--as a matter of fact I had Trader Joes smoked Sardines for an after breakfast snack today! They are growing on me and I can teach myself to like a food that's good for me.
I didn't think of that -but you're right they probably do have less mercury. I guess I just really like the legume/nuts/vegetables scenario but I'm trying to severly reduce my carbs to get rid of the middle that has grown in the last few years.

I see your weights! Are you finding that a good way source of exercise? I started a month ago and already feel so much stronger.
change4thegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/129

Change4thgood -- I have lifted weights in the past (mainly the "big three": squats, dead lifts, and bench presses), but I've slacked off lately and have only been doing cardio. I've committed myself to getting back into it because, as you pointed out, it makes one feel stronger. Plus, I just like it. It's so awesome to be able to lift heavy weights and see those muscles work!
SissieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #20  
Re-newbie

S/C/G: 161/139/128

Thanks for all the replies and thoughts. It's good to know I'm not the only one who's been through this sort of thing.

I wish everyone a nice, long Labor Day weekend! (Hope everyone will get a day off.)
firefly68 is offline   Reply With Quote