Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Did a VERY bad thing to my back...

Only thing is, I'm not sure WHAT I did! I got up this morning feeling fine. Did my 20 min HIIT on the treadmill, then popped in & took a step class that I absolutely love but don't often have time for. Nothing really out of the ordinary or that I haven't done before. . .

And now, my left sacroiliac joint is SCREAMING in pain. Just sitting at my desk hurts so bad!

Any idea on what I could have done? Any idea as to what (a particular stretch, or just ice & ibuprofen, or what) I might do to help this particular area?
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #2  
Mel

Are you sure it's the joint or do you have sciatica?

My suggestion would be try NOT to sit- it puts the most stress on your lower back. Rest, ice, a chiropractor who does deep tissue massage rather than just bone cracking if you use one, or your doc if it persists for more than a day or two....

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My chiropractor uses an awesome message thing on my SI joint 'flaw' Then does a very gentle bone pop that I can hardly feel

I do a stretch I learned from Buns of Steel. Sit on the floor with both legs sticking straight out in front of you. Take the affected leg and cross it over so that you foot is kind lined up beside the outside if the other thigh. Hug your leg to you chest and feel the releasing of the tight butt muscles. Be careful, slow and mindful of extra pain.

The chiropractors suggestions were to make sure the heel of my shoe fit very well (no side slop) and to pitch my shoes when the outside of the heel starts to wear.

However, if it is sciatica ... he'll be able to tell you that too. And that's another matter entirely.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #4  

To my knowledge I don't have sciatica...and the pain doesn't radiate down the leg at all, it's completely localized on the joint.

I WISH I could not sit - it doesn't hurt so bad when I'm standing - but I have a major project for work right now, so not an option.

I think I am gonna call my chiropractor & see if he can get me into one of his early-morning slots tomorrow. . .but he is strictly a bone-cracker, so who knows.

Ouch ouch OUCH!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, OUCH! I feel your pain, but unfortunately have no further advice, except maybe ibuprofen. I do have sciatica - radiating down my right leg - which interestingly bothers me only when I'm lying in bed. Ibuprofen helps some, but I think it's as much the getting up to get it.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #6  

How weird. I am COMPLETELY better this morning. The entire time I was at work yesterday was total agony - I just can't quite believe that pain that bad could come on so suddenly, and then leave just as suddenly. But I'm sure glad it left!
Old 12-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Last summer I had a bad fall and did something to my coccyx -- it hurt to sit, to lie down and ESPECIALLY, to go from sitting to standing. But it didn't leave quickly!

I'm glad you're feeling better!! Though I agree it seems odd.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote