Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #1  
IR:0, Valarie:1

Smile New here :)

Hi all I've been on 3FC for a while, but mostly in the PCOS area. About me: I used to train full-time in judo and was 170lbs, 17% body fat. After the PCOS symptoms began to wreak havoc on my body I found myself at 250, about 45% body fat... I've been hitting the weights pretty hard for a few months and am down to 39% body fat, still 250lbs, with 158lbs lean mass... I love gaining muscle! I'm working to get down to about 200, 25% body fat- I am eating pretty much whatever I want, but sticking to foods that I could (theoretically...) grow, pick, gather, milk... as natural as possible.

About the origional question: I prefer free weights because they teach you about your body. For me, using free weights taught me what I can and can't do, how far I can push my body, and of how much I am capable. The only thing I still use a machine for is leg press, but I use it in so many ways that I still involve stabilizing muscles, and I do squats as well.

Anyway, I can't wait to get to know more about all of you!

~Valarie~

p.s.- If this gets posted twice, sorry... I think there's a problem with the site tonight!
Valarie250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #2  
Mel

Hi Valerie I moved your post from the sticky to create your own "hello there" thread because most of us would never find you up there!

Welcome to LWL! Congratulations on lowering your body fat and enjoying lifting. Are you doing any cardio? From my (limited) experience working with two clients with PCOS, you'll build muscle very easily, but it's the combo of cardio, strength training and healthy eating which will help you see the changes you are looking for. Did you see the thread about leg cranks? That kind of high volume, high intensity work is what will give you great results

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote