Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 07:53 AM   #1  

Smile Dieting with Diabetes - October!

Welcome to Dieting with Diabetes! This is the October thread. Join us as we seek to encourage one another in managing diabetes, and losing weight.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #2  

Good morning! I have a doctor's appointment this morning with the nurse practitioner. I guess she will give me my lab results. I don't have a good attitude about not seeing the doctor, but I have never met the NP, so I suppose I ought to give her a chance. I am just kind of irritated. She is a CDE, and I am thinking she is going to want to give me information on diet and such. I did all that research on my own when they first diagnosed me over six months ago. I kind of feel like six months later is too little too late.....

I had hoped my weight would be down this morning, but it is not. The trip to Florida for the funeral did not help. I did not get any walking in, and had to eat what was offered, somewhat. I did try and keep away from the desserts, and did an admirable job of it. I tried to eat small portions of the more starchy dishes and concentrated on veggies and protein. At least I did not gain..but I would like to get losing again. I have been stuck for a long time now.

I will check in after my appointment and report on what my A1C was... I need to get my walk in now!

Old 10-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 228/188/150

Height: 5'8"

Thanks Monet for the very warm welcome in your last September post. I think I have found a good forum for support. Anyway, working out of my home, my online friends carry a great deal of the load for me. Others in my family have diabetes, but when you have all the other family issues, diabetes can get thrown to the back-burner for support.

I hope you have a good appt with your CDE. Keep an open mind. I tend to be a self researcher too. But I try to remember that I learn something new every day. I may have missed something that can challenge my thought process or give me a different perspective.

Good job on your trip and dealing with the food issues.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #4  
Mommy of Skye and Sam!

S/C/G: 203/188.5/160

Height: 6'0"

Hi all!

I have my appt with the new endo in two weeks. It's my first appt in a year. I had to set appts so far out with my old endo that I ended up cancelling most of them due to work: if I didn't have to cancel, I was in and out of his office in 10 minutes, not gaining a single thing!

My parents and grandmother came over for dinner last night, which was nice. I made chicken parmesan with whole wheat noodles then we had a special treat of some Breyers natural vanilla ice cream! DF needs to hurry up and eat the rest of it to get it out of the freezer!

Old 10-02-2006, 02:50 PM   #5  
Never Ever Give Up !

S/C/G: 250/204/150

Good morning everyone,,hope everyones week-end was great We went down for my son's birthday and his step daughters (5 Years ) was fun being around the kids and got to spend lots of time with my grand-daughter who is 3 months old now,,her little legs are getting rolly,,polly,,she is doll my bs was 95 this morning,,was surprised because we all know how it is to be out of town,,,

Monet,,,keep us posted on what happens at your appointment,,hopefully you might like her,,I see a PA and lve him,,and really think he is more informed than drmost of the time,,very wise,,he works under my specialest and i would much more see him when I go,,,so hopefully you will have a good experience,,,

Viki,,,nice to see you coming back,,did you have a nice week-end ? sure hope so,,,

Well thats it gotta clean my house and get ready for work on Tuesday,,long week this week and hunting season right around the corner,,,then we are packed and I don't get a day off until it is over,,, Should be in a good mood by then,,ha ha,,,later ,,jeanne
Old 10-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #6  

I am back from the doctor's appointment with the NP/CDE. She was nice, and it was no different than the doctor appointment...except she is more personable. I still have not been given ANY information on how to control diabetes. Good thing I am a researcher, and found stuff on my own. The crazy carrots are a celebration of my A1C...it was 6.1! I was excited. It was 14.85 when I was diagnosed 6 months ago, 9.0 three months ago, and now it is 6.1. The doctor told me most people gain five pounds for every point it goes down, so I should figure the drop from 15 to 9 with no gain was like a 30 pound loss. Taking that into account with this recent drop of three points, I am pleased with the ten pound loss I had since my last visit. It might have been more if there had not been so much traveling and vacationing the last few weeks. She was willing to change my meds, so I will start on the ten pen of Byetta in a week when I need a new one, and I am going off the Amaryl and increasing my metformin. I hope this works well, because I hate to be taking something that works the pancreas even harder...

VIKIA: I was all worked up for nothing...the NP/CDE was pretty nice.

JOSIAN: I hope the new endo works out well....

JEANNE: I did like the NP. I was glad to be wrong... My grandson is almost 2 months...and I just adore having them live with us. I get to play with him a lot. I am glad you had a good time over the weekend!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #7  

Morning everyone..sry i have been mia..my back that i thought was better is not..i have been on bedrest and advil and ice packs..i know how i re hurt myself.. we have ahigh stepping car and in order for me to get in it i have to really swing my hips ouch bad move..but its getting some better.. i had my dr visit last thursday..my dr was so happy about me she did a happy dance(really) and called me her 5 star patient..she said im doing well, no med change..take advil for my back and try and exercise and she would see me in 6 months..she did say only 1200 mg of advil in a 24 hr as its id hard on our kidneys.. thought id pass that info along..also my aches and pains are age who knew lol..welcone vikia.. im rosey from alaska..nice to meet you.. josian am sry fro all the party poopers in your wedding ..its their loss and you and your guy dont need downers on your speacial day..and it will be speacial..jeanne grkids are speacial arent they..monet.. those are great numbers..mine was 6.1 too..hopefully the new meds will get your weight going the way you want..i am trying to get caught up today.. hard when you are having muscle spasms..but the dh is leaving for a 2 week out of state hunting trip and he has no idea how a washing machine works..anyways hope you all have agreat day(((((((hugs)))))) rosey
Old 10-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #8  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

I saw my endo and my new nutritionist Friday. Endo visit was ok. He's more concerned with getting my thyroid right. He did get on board with the change in my focus from pregnancy to weight loss and took me off the LANTUS!!! Wooowhoooo - I'm very excited about that. He said as long as I do low carbo diet and keep my sugars down, I can stay off it. Also upped my metformin from 1500 to 2000.
He is not comfortable with Byetta since there's little history on it, but he was more than willing to put me on phentermine!!
Nutritionist was REALLY cool! I didn't expect to get much out of the visit because I am a researcher and KNOW what to do - it's just staying motivated to do it that's the problem.
Anyway, I really liked her and she had some very good ideas. mainly, it's the Glycemic Index diet but she wants 60 grams of protein a day - at least 20 at every meal. NO SNACKING, including my sugar-free flavored waters and gums. 3 meals and 1 snack a day -- no eating 2 hrs before bedtime. She explained a lot about cortisol and insulin just rampaging because of the fake sugars and the all day grazing.
Anyway, to make a long story short, I have been totally on plan for 3 days now and MAN do I get hungry before meals and I have lost 1.5 lbs. My sugars have been fine. 99 for fasting today. It was 67 when I got to the endo's on Friday and I didn't even feel low! I guess that means I'm getting used to lower sugars since I used to start getting shaky at 77.
Monet - congrats on the 6.1 - that's a fantastic reduction in 6 months!!
Jeanne - Good work on keeping the sugars down despite visiting. I bet your g-daughter is a doll.
Glad to see you all!
Old 10-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #9  
Never Ever Give Up !

Monet,,, am so proud of you and glad you are doing so good,,,you go girl,,,

Rosey,,nice to see you sorry you have been down,,hope things get better for you

Ottoette,,,glad things are going good for you also,,doesn't it confuse you sometimes the way that our doctors think ?,,,ha,,congrats on the wt loss and the bs control,,,

Gotta run,,just dropped back to see if Monet had posted,,,so happy things went will Monet,,,Jeanne
Old 10-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
welcone vikia.. im rosey from alaska..nice to meet you..
Rosey, so nice to meet you. I have a very dear friend Taughnee, who lives in Anchorage. She is one of my best friends that I met online about 4 years ago. So I have learned alot about Alaska at her Alaska blog. Nice to meet you too!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #11  

Evening everyone! We had a dinner meeting tonight. I did fairly well. I did eat one white roll and a small slice of apple cake. I just made myself a cup of sleepytime tea and had a few pecan cinnamon cluster things I found at Costco for a bedtime snack. I sleep better when I have a small snack just before bed. On Sugarbusters you are not supposed to eat three hours before bed...so don't tell them over there, ok?

I am shooting for walking six out of seven days this week. I need to lengthen my walk to an hour too. I have a splinter in my foot right now, but when it is healed, I will have to start doing the three mile walk, instead of the 1.5 and 2 mile ones.

ROSEY: Oh, dear! I hope your back heals quickly! I hate when mine bothers me. Back pain has to be the worst! What is your hubby hunting for this time? Moose? Caribou? It sounds so exotic up there!

JEANNE: Aren't you on the ten pen of Byetta? I hope it kick starts the weight loss again! I am a bit anxious about the nausea possibilities.

OTTO: Since you are young and wanting to be pregnant, maybe it is a good thing that your doctor is not wanting to start you on Byetta. I hope you decided against the Phentermine. I took that for a while. I lost initially, then the weight loss stopped. Then, when I went off it, I gained what I lost back! I think it messed up my metabolism, and I am paying for it now.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:00 AM   #12  
Mommy of Skye and Sam!

S/C/G: 203/188.5/160

Height: 6'0"

Wow! What a busy thread today... ! Monet, congrats on the low A1c. I need to go back on the pump to get back to my low numbers... I really don't want to go through all that again but it is what is best for me...

Well, winding down from my long drive, time to hit the hay!
Old 10-03-2006, 08:15 AM   #13  
stbakd

to all the newbies. my bs are up again. it took me a min. to realize this was a new thread. glen
Old 10-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #14  
Never Ever Give Up !

Good morning,,cloudy and overcast here this morning,but not to cold,,winter is closing in,

Bs was 125 this morning,,not bad for me but I have to stop snacking at night !! am having a real problem with it just in the last couple of weeks. I think it has something to do with the trips every week end latley ,,just getting a little to lose in my eating and thinking,,,

Monet ,,yes I am on the 10 pen and pick my new one up this morning before I go to work,,I bet it will jump start your wt loss and with the walking I bet you will see it drop,,my is slow now,,but I just keep hanging in there,,the bs are great and really that is the most important to me,,,be careful of the lows,,I really have to watch that now,,the longer I am on the 10 the more lows I seems to have now,,,mine all took months tho to come down,,Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing,,,I didn't have any more side effects with the 10 than the 5,,,sometimes with a new pen I get a little but nothing to complain about,,

Glen ,,nice to see you and glad that you found us ! what do you think is making your bs go up ?

Hi Viki and Rosey and Josian,,hope all is well with you,,,hi to anyone else I missed,,am in a rush to get out the door,,have a good day you all,,,later friends,,,Jeanne
Old 10-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #15  

Good afternoon everyone. Good day so far. As a matter of fact, my BG levels have been really good. FBGs the last two days...102 & 103. No higher than 107 for 2hrs after meals.

Control has been good. Must be all the walking I am doing. Trying hard to do 20 minutes after each meal.

COMMERCIAL WORKOUTS:
Also, I don't really watch that much TV anymore, but when I do, I am going to do stair climbing during EVERY commercial.

I am so tired of the political ads. This is a fine way to escape them. I have a 2 story home with a basement.

I want to see how many complete trips I can get in during the commercial.

Last edited by vikia; 10-03-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Closed Thread