Carb Counters - Weekly Chat Aug 14-20/06

View Full Version : Weekly Chat Aug 14-20/06

RobinW
08-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Good Morning :wave:

Back to it today...its been a chocolate weekend.

Have a great day ladies!

lilybelle
08-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi Robin, I am back to program for 3 days now. Yeah. I have lost 3 of the 4 lbs. that had crept back on. I am off to PT now. Hope everyone has a great day.

Gotta brag for a minute. My son had been away at Camp Cook, Louisiana for specialized military training. He made the comandants list and was immediately promoted from E4 to E5. I think this makes him a staff sergeant now. He is only 20 yrs. old. I am so proud of him. He never applied himself well in school, but does excellent with his classes in the military. I had heard from older, wiser parents that sometimes a child just doesn't seem to try hard or fit in with regular classroom work and then will excell when learning things that he really enjoys. For Shane this has been the case.
My DD otoh makes excellent grades in school and has been in the gifted program since 2nd grade. She isn't at all atheletic. Her dear brother excels at anything sports related. Sorry to brag on my kids, I just love them both so dearly.

Juxtapose
08-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Guess Who's Back? :) Miss me?

San Diego was great fun. It's my home town, haven't been there in over a year. I'm planning on moving me and the kids back there by the end of the year.

Did tons of sight seeing and walking. Kept on program as much as possible. Weighed myself this morning and I've lost 2 lbs. LOL yay!

Oh, and Lilybelle, we wouldn't be mommies if we didn't brag about our kids. ;)

Happy Monday all!

- Jux
:bubbles:

Idealperson
08-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Happy Monday Everyone....welcome back Jux!

I ate myself through a weekend...raspberry pie, ice cream, I had to throw a perfectly good pie away or I would have eaten it all!

I spent the weekend in New York, the airline travel was okay, not the wait that I expected....this coming weekend is our cabin trip to Lake Superior! Can't wait! Gotta love the summer!

Highest weight 209#
Today's weight 159#

tipsygypsy
08-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi everyone!

I am putting myself on the three-day fat fast because somehow I knocked myself out of ketosis. I don't know how that happened, unless it was the Atkins bars; I should have know better than to eat them when I'm in Induction, darn it. Anyway, I'm tired of things not moving, so I'ma try this. Wish me luck, please!

lilybelle
08-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Welcome back Jux, glad you enjoyed yourself.
IP, I'm back on program too after a couple of bad days. Good luck to you ,too.
Tipsy, good luck with the fat fast. I went on the 2 days egg fast twice. The first time I lost 4 lbs. and kept it off. The second time, I didn't lose anything. I haven't ever tried the fat fast. Let us know how it works for you. If I don't quit eating, I may need it soon.

annieway2lose
08-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Hello Ladies,
I have a question for all of you. Can you eat the Atkins low carb bars and still lose weight? Can you just not eat them in induction phase? I bought some yesturday when I went back on the diet after two weeks of being off and I have been eating them. Maybe this is a bad thing huh? Let me know how all of you feel about this. Thanks,
Annie

tipsygypsy
08-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi Annie,

I know the bars say it's okay to have them on Induction, and for some, it is. But they do stall some people, and I'm beginning to think that I'm one of them. The only way to really tell is to try; if you find that your weight loss stops, I would suggest waiting until you're out of Induction to eat them. Everyone's different. :) I will say, though, that it's generally best to eat unprocessed, whole foods--but I know that's not always possible with our schedules. Good luck!

lilybelle
08-14-2006, 08:47 PM
In the area where I live, I have not seen Atkins bars. I use the Q-smart bars from Wal-mart occasionally with 3 net carbs. I haven't had any problem with them stalling my weight loss. They aren't fantastic tasting, I have to say. But will do for a quick breakfast with coffee, when I'm in a hurry.

tipsygypsy
08-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Hmmm. Well, day one of the fat fast is over, and I'm about to head for bed. So far I've been impressed with how satisfying 1000 calories can be, broken up into snacks that way. I think I may well have to adopt the practice of nibbling five or six times a day, rather than having meals. It seemed like every time I turned around it was time to eat again, and now I'm very comfortable. :D

(Not that I would do the same foods long-term, though. Yikes, the fat!)

Anyone else ever tried this? What did you think?

annieway2lose
08-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks.
I know you are only suppose to weigh yourself about once a week but what the heck I did it anyway just to see if the bars do infact have an impact on the amount of weight I lose. Well even with eating the bars I lost 1.5 pounds in the last two days.:bravo: So I am quite pleased with them. I do know though that the Ketone strips don't seem to work quite right for me. The first week of induction back in the beginning of July they turned color right away and just constantly got darker in color for that week then just slowly went back to just a trace. I still lost weight and have managed to keep it off even when I had to go off the diet when I had surgery. I just can't get them to turn darker pink again. Has anyone else had this problem with them?

RobinW
08-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Good Morning

Annie ...Hi and :welcome3: I cant use the atkins bars at all, they stall me out for about 4 days. The reason I had trouble with my strips was because they were expired....worked great for a while, but then nothing at all, even when I had "camel breath"

Im having a really tough time with my eating. *insert a huge sigh* I need a good swift kick!

Dh and I have been busy with things with the business, I joined a women's networking group...so I need to smarten up...I DO NOT want to be the "fat" one! *insert another big sigh*

Alright, Im off to make some eggs for breakfast...have a great day ladies.

tipsygypsy
08-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Camel breath!?!? http://www.tlmzone.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/4_1_722.gif

Ugh...I just realized that a 200-calorie "snack" isn't enough for me to have in my stomach before I take my lupus meds. NAUSEA!!! I may have to work out something different for tomorrow. :(

lilybelle
08-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone. I've had the "camel breath" this week too. But, I did lose those 4 lbs. that I had put on. Since I had been having 40 carbs on maintenance, I dropped back to 20 or less since Saturday and it came back off. Yeah. Now I don't need to change my ticker. I am being very careful of what I eat again. That really bites when the scale goes up and is so scary. I could just see myself putting the weight back on , with no exercise yet and eating so bad. I am glad that I'm back under control again.
I have to go car shopping with my son and his GF today. That should be fun in 100 degree weather. Hope everyone has a great day.

Idealperson
08-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Lillybelle- car shopping in the heat does not sound like fun, but think of the pounds that are melting off!

I am down 2#, but have not been watching carbs, just eating less. I feel more full with a LC plan but the weight doesn't come off. I am only 7 pounds from goal and it is very hard, I've been struggling with the same 2# for months! Today I ate some Special K with red berries, man was that great...I miss cereal!

It's a daily battle to find what will work for each of us.

Annie- I couldn't eat the Atkin's bars and after a few I didn't want to, they tasted like cardboard after awhile. They stalled my loss.

Take care all and Happy Tuesday, (I thought it was Wed. until a few hours ago) :mad: :dizzy:

lilybelle
08-15-2006, 02:20 PM
IP, great job on the 2lbs. I discovered that the closer I got to goal, that I not only had to keep the carbs low but the fat low as well to lose those last 10 lbs. or so. I am glad that you are finding what works for you. I miss cereal too.

Blporter168
08-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi, this is my first posting to this board. I was on Atkins a few years ago and I honestly lost a little bit over 40 #'s. And then Early Menopause hit and I regained about 15 of it seemingly overnight, this really bites; so I am restarting my Atkins diet. The only problem I am having is was it 15 or 20 carbs a day for the induction phase?

Thank you,
Brenda

lilybelle
08-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Welcome Brenda. It is 20 carbs on induction. Good luck and wishing you the best of success. Feel free to join us anytime in our discussions here.

tipsygypsy
08-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Ooof...just letting y'all know the fat fast was a big ol' bust for me. I feel sooo sick to my stomach after every "meal"; it's just too rich. Back to plain ol' Induction for me!

Idrial
08-15-2006, 08:17 PM
tipsygypsy, what meds do you take for lupus? I'm on methotrexate for RA and if I eat low carb, I feel really sick but I gain weight BADLY if I eat carbs! My PA suggests eating high carbs the day of meds but then I feel brain thick for a day or two and gain a couple pounds. I spend the rest of the week trying to get them off! A few years ago I'd lost over 50 pounds on low carb and felt great, then this all hit. I've gained it all back with prednisone and lack of exercise. I'm walking every day now and not on prednisone anymore. How do you do it? I'm very impressed with your weight loss and with having lupus too. Any tips you can give me is GREATLY appreciated!

tipsygypsy
08-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Hi Idrial,

I'm on Plaquenil. I'm so sorry you're having a problem with eating low-carb! I actually feel better eating that way; it's just the "fat fast" that was giving me trouble with nausea.

As far as exercise goes, I don't get as much as I probably should. But on days when the pain and fatigue are particularly bad, I just try to eat fewer calories because I know I won't be doing as much to burn them off. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. :(

Idrial
08-15-2006, 10:31 PM
thank you for the reply. I"m wondering if I stick it out for a few weeks if my body would adjust and on med day if I wouldn't get as sick. I feel so crummy on higher carbs, bloated, brain fog, headachy. I feel out of control right now and need to get a focus and get my disease back under control. I'm having anxiety and ocd problems too and I think diet plays a great part in that. As I'm typing and thinking here, I'm thinking maybe a lower carb but not low carb might be best for me. Weight loss will be slower but maybe my body would adjust better....I know I'm talking in circles but that's the way my world has been lately! I'm tired of the same scenery :dizzy:

tipsygypsy
08-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Ugh! WHY do I give in to stress eating?!

I'm not going to count it as a "cheat" because it was still low-carb and I don't think I went very high on calories today (it's a bad lupus day, so I knew I wasn't likely to exercise...sigh). But still--I was NOT hungry, and I knew I wasn't hungry. So why did I snack just because I was upset? I hate that!!!

You watch, the scale will be up tomorrow. I'll just bet.

lady_adnerb
08-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Dang it seems like I haven't posted here in ages. Monday registered youngest DD at the Middle School and oldest DD at the High School. First year at each FOR each. So of course we had the temper meltdowns. UGH! I've been OP but still no sign of water or exercise. Just can't seem to get into that mode. Still in the range of 155 and am ok with that for now. Would LOVE to be lower but I'll work on the being OP first. Not sure why I can't do all 3 at once like the 1st time around. Anyway, :wave: hi everyone!!!

Candy In Alabama
08-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Hey everybody :wave:

It's been a while...I've missed everyone..But it's my own fault. :(
I'm still trying to catch up around here....The house is always a never ending story. :fr: LOL... School has started and my 13 yo DD is back in, But matt is still waiting to see his DR. for his post op. app. It's tomorrow. He is doing GREAT..I'm sure the DR. will release him to go back to school..
For some reason i don't clean like i should when someone is home...Sooooo i got a lot of detail cleaning, catching up to do..:dizzy:

I have been on and off plan (mostly off) since matt went in for his brain surgery.. I'm back up to 150..Today i'm 148 again. Not to bad... but loseing the same pounds over and over again is getting old...Its time i do something about it....I need a good swift kick girls :kickbutt: I need to beat it in my head that this ain't gonna work...:frypan:
Sooooo let me have it....I need it, LOL

I hope everyone is doing good...
lillybelle, i hope your foot gets better soon...
Since the kids will be back in school, i will get my computer back and get on more....So here goes starting today (Again) for a healther and fitter me...:D... :running:
:welcome2: to all the newbes i've missed out on....:)
Long Post... See i told you i missed you guys....:D
:hug: ...Candy

lilybelle
08-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Idrial, sorry you are having such a rough time. It is good that you were able to get off the prednisone. I have been on it for 3 1/2 yrs. and gained about 50 lbs. in that time. Starting Atkins is the only program that ever helped me lower my weight while on this evil medicine. I still am on it, but not as high of dosage. I hope you feel better soon.
Tipsy, I stress eat too and beat myself up over it. At least you stayed low-carb so that in itself is a victory in this battle. I hope your lupus flare-up is better soon. Cheer up, you are doing awesome.
Brenda, it's great to see you posting again. My DD started high school on Monday. She already had Algebra homework last night. So far, she is liking school this year. That usually doesn't last long. She is complaining of a lot of right upper quadrant abdominal pain especially after eating anything fatty. I am afraid she may have Gallbladder problems. I will probably be taking her to a doctor very soon if it continues.
Candy, it's great to see you back. I am so glad your son is doing well. Your weight is doing fantastic for all you have been through lately. It's good to have you back.

Good news. My MIL and Aunt that both heeded my advice and started Atkins 3 weeks ago are loving it. They have lost 11 and 13.5 lbs. and are happy as larks. They are really sticking to it and I am proud of both of them. They are great support for each other. Their houses are next door to each other and they have all their meals together. Their biggest motivator was the family wedding that we had last month, they saw the pictures from it and were shocked into trying to lose weight. They are hanging their before pic's on the fridge. Whatever it takes, I am proud that they are trying to get healthier.

annieway2lose
08-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Hello all,
I am so confused. I read in the Atkins book that the ketone strips will change color if you are doing the diet right and mine still show nothing. I am losing weight, about 1/2 pound a day which is great but I sure do wish those strips would change color. Then I could see everyday what is working and what is not working as well.
It is nice to so many people now that school is starting again. My two daughters start on Monday. My son is starting his first year at preschool on the 1st. He will only be gone two hours a day for 3 days a week but I am so looking forward to it. I found out that a church in my area does free step aerobics and yoga in the mornings after school starts. I think I have conviced one of my neighbors to go with me so I can be more motivated. Also during the summer the high school swim team has the lap pool from 7 am to noon. but now that school is starting I will be able to go swim laps again after he goes to school. Yeah!!!!! I love swimming. I dont particularly enjoy walking out of the locker room and to the pool in a bathing suit but once I am in the water I love it. But who knows I have lost 14 pounds this summer so maybe I wont mind it so much. I will at least look better than last year. Well that is all for now my ex-husband is coming on Friday to visit my oldest daughter and I want this house spotless and perfect, not that I want him back I am remarried I just want him to see how wonderful my life is without him. Maybe I am just evil I dont know. Plus I have to get everything ready for back to school. I have a few things to hem and such. Good luck to everyone

Idealperson
08-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Where is everyone today? Happy Tuesday is now Happy Wednesday!

I ate half of a personal pan pizza for lunch...help me, I need some support!

tipsygypsy
08-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Eeek! Pizza! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/smilies/scared.gif

The best thing, as you know, is to get right back on track! Don't succumb to the "Oh, I blew it so I may as well eat today" thinking.

You messed up; it happens. But a) You didn't eat a WHOLE personal pan pizza, and b) This is one blip on the radar screen, NOT a permanent failure. *hugs*

Idealperson
08-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks Tipsy...I was just thinking..."I've already blown it...etc... and was thinking about the oatmeal cookies in the break room...you have saved me!

Whew...that was close! I'm gonna drink lots of water and get back on track for supper tonight!

tipsygypsy
08-16-2006, 04:45 PM
That's the perfect attitude, IP! And you just made my day, saying I helped you. :D

lilybelle
08-16-2006, 08:58 PM
annie, I know what you mean about the Ex. I wouldn't want mine back either. But, I do enjoy making the house and myself look great when he comes to see my son. Show the sorry turd what he's missing. lol

lilybelle
08-17-2006, 02:03 PM
I hope everyone is having a better day than me. My son and his GF split up last night, after a whopping 4 days of having their own apartment together. She has called me crying 3 times this morning. Her sister has also called. Man, I am going nuts. Earlier I felt like making me a pan of home-made biscuits and eating them all with butter and strawberry jelly. Somehow I resisted and ate 2 sausage patties and scrambled eggs with a cup of coffee. He came by at 6 this morning while I was asleep and left a note saying he had left her. I haven't had a chance to talk to him. He is at his friends, sleeping. He had worked all night. Just from things he had said, I didn't expect they'd stay together forever. But 4 days this blew my mind. Anyway, my DH is going to have a man to man talk with him today if he gets a chance. I don't want him to go back if his heart isn't in it. I feel he was there due to a sense of obligation (she had a horrible home life) . Anyway, I posted all about the situation under the general chatter forum. I just know they are driving me crazy and causing me to want to eat for comfort. I think I will turn my phone off now and try to nap just to stay away from the stress and from the kitchen.

lilybelle
08-18-2006, 12:27 AM
I made it through my stressful day without eating anything that was off program. I am happy for this.

tipsygypsy
08-18-2006, 12:32 AM
YES! Go Lilybelle!

I had a bowl of ice cream, so I'm kinda hanging my head. It WAS low-carb, but still. Stress eating is not good for me.

It was one heck of a day, though. :(

Ms Spotdog
08-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Lilybelle - So sorry that your family is having to go thru this. Better now then later, tho. Hope everyone survives alright.

Kel

annieway2lose
08-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Hello ladies,
Well not a lot of time today I have company coming. But just wanted to drop a line to say that I lost another pound!!!! Two more to go and I am at my August goal of 240. Lilly you must have amazing will power. When things go wrong in my life I am reaching for the worst thing I could eat PIZZA!!! Break ups are always bad. When I married the man of my dreams, My child hood sweetheart, I remember thinking I will never have to deal with break-ups again. I guess now that I have children that statement is not so true. Well good luck with it. Everything in life happens for a reason and I am sure that it will all work out in the end.

Idealperson
08-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Lily, sounds like you are in for a long weekend... sometimes mom's just have to step back and let the kids make their decisions, don't let the x-GF pull you in to this. WTG on the LC eating- I have been not eating very well, not gaining yet tho. But I have an awful stomach ache from the junk-serves me right! I know better!

I leave for our cabin on Lake Superior in the morning for a week's vacation, so I'll see you all in a couple of weeks. Miss ya'll and be good!:carrot:

Candy In Alabama
08-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Hello Everyone

Thanks lillybelle, Its good to be back...:D
I weighed this morning now i'm 149 lbs...:yikes: I've got to start acting on what i say...I say one thing and do another....I think i will start fresh monday, then my son will be back in school too ( the dr. cleared him to start monday, yeah ) I will stay as low carb as i can till then...I think i will give induction another shot ...It will be easier for me when i'm here all day by myself....:crossed: I hope....I done this before surely i can do it again.. :kickbutt:..:D
Yesterday was my Birthday...:hb:... I had a good day....DH and kids got me 2 dozens roses...and i get to shop for an outfit this weekend..DH wanted to bake me a cake. I told him that was sweet but i didn't need any cake..that he could bake one though and they could eat it...:D ...

Way to go, Annie.. sounds like you are doing great...:bravo:
Idealperson...Have a great vacation....

My vacation will be staying home and everything going back to normal around here...I'm soooo ready for it...:dancer:
Candy

lilybelle
08-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Yes, it's still stressful here. I am staying on-program with my eating. I have am having diarrhea (Gross, I know), I think it's from the stress. I hope they work their problems out soon or go their separate ways. I worry so much about my kids, no matter their ages. It feels like the hurt is happening to me when I see my children hurt.
I did get to talk to him face to face this morning at 5AM and he is scared and not ready for the responsibility of their live-in situation. I just want him to talk to her. It's not my place, but she keeps coming over in hopes that he will come here. I have stressed to him how important it is to talk to her. He cried (which he never does) and said he's just not able to face her yet. She is here now and I suggested that she and my DD go swimming at their pool this evening, maybe help take her mind off it for a while.

lilybelle
08-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Happy Birthday, Candy. Hope you find you a great new outfit. I so love to clothes shop now. Tehe. It's great news that your son can go back to school.
annie, I am craving pizza too. I bought some pizza sauce, cheese, and low-carb tortillas. i thought I might try making a pizza pocket with these , (also pepperoni). Don't know how it will be, I'll use my quesadilla maker to cook it on.
tipsy, I wouldn't beat myself up over the low-carb ice cream. I have it about once a week and it never hurt a thing.

tipsygypsy
08-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Happy birthday, Candy!

(and thanks, Lily!)

Juxtapose
08-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Man.. I feel bad. I just haven't been keeping up with the boards lately. Everybody's just got so much going on. :) So much to keep up with. *pant, pant*

Well.. let's see... my only exciting news is I'm now wearing a size 16 jean. *big grin* The weight seemed to stall for a little bit, then after I got back from San Diego it seems to be kick started again. Weird. I'm drinking diet sodas now. I wonder if the caffe. is helping.

Happy weekend all. Have fun and stay cool. School starts for the kiddies next week. *whoo hooo* :)

- Jux
:bubbles:

lilybelle
08-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Jux, glad to see you back. Hope everyone is having a great day. my eating is right on target plus I'm drinking lots of water. Yeah> this is the best I can do for now with no exercising.
My son and his GF are still apart but they are leaving me alone for now, which makes me happy.

lilybelle
08-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi everyone. I just wanted to post that I made the recipe for Legal Pizza that is in the entree section here last night. I did put small amt of oil in the bottom of casserole dish and layed down lc tortillas. Then layed pan with ground beef, pizza sauce, shredded cheese, mushrooms and pepperoni. It was great, my whole family loved it. My DH even said "honey, you can make this anytime". He loves the way I cook and so appreciates getting home-made dinners. Tonite I'm gonna try the LC meatball recipe simmered with brown gravy. I love to find new things to cook.

Candy In Alabama
08-21-2006, 07:13 AM
:cp:... Way to go Jux, I always love it when i can get into smaller jeans..:D

Lillybelle, I love Pizza!!! How did the meatball recipe go?

Today i'm starting induction...Got to get off these pounds i've gain and then some...NO EXCUSES!!!...This Morning i weighed 150...:eek:
Candy