Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #1  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Default Help with formulating a plan

Hey Guys!! It's been a while since I've written. It seems my health was put on the back burner for a loooong time and now I am finally ready to commit and change my life forever. What I have found over the course of time is that you have to be mentally ready to change not for others but for yourself and that's where am today in my thought process. I bought a treadmill, free weights and tons of Jillian Michaels DVDs.

I have a question for those of you have "walked the walk". I have 60 pounds to lose and I am wondering if I should start with just doing the tredmill (30 mins. to start) or should I start off with doing 1 hour tredmill in the morning immediately followed by weight training? I'm up for which ever you guys think would give me the best results.

I have goals. I give myself until May 2007 to lose 60 pounds. I think it's very realistic. Having said that, I feel that weight training is key to really getting great results. So....what's your advice? SHould I gradually work up or start including weight training from the start?

Thanks, Oh....I am going to start journaling on 3fc to keep track of my progress.

Sandy
SupaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

I would start off small and work your way up, with 30 minutes of cardio, and oh definitely, basic lifting. But I would suggest doing the lifting first, and then the cardio. Just what I have found works for me. If you start too ambitiously, you may lose your momentum and get discouraged. Also, if you haven't been walking/running recently, you may end up with shin splints if you push too hard at the beginning. Baby steps! I don't know about Jillian's dvds, but IMHO her book is very good.

Susan
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #3  
MrsSandysHouse.com

Thanks! I read some where else where they suggested you do weights before cardio. Humm....I wonder why?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

We had a thread on here talking about the difference in the way your body burns fuel and wanting to use the real fuel for muscles and then igniting your fat stores for fuel after your muscles have used their energy for lifting. That's one reason, altho I probably didn't explain it exactly accurately. The second is form, and your form will not be as good after you are potentially tired and winded from a cardio session. Since technique is so important for lifting, you do it first. Cardio is basically just getting up and moving, so there's not alot of technique to it.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:46 AM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Ditto to what hrbabe said.

I wish I had done some weight training while I was first losing weight. I was just walking. After losing 100 pounds I had a lot of extra skin. It is finally getting toned.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #6  
MrsSandysHouse.com

Your transformation is amazing!!
Old 08-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #7  

Hi,

I second that if you do weights after cardio your form suffers, but I usually do 15 mins treadmill before I lift weights to warm up. I think it is a good idea to do some form of warming up before you do the weights, & I take that as part of my cardio.

Did you read Body for life for women by Pamela Peeke ? I do not know that author you mentioned, but I found the peeke book very informative.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote