Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-24-2006, 09:54 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default LWL #265 July 24th - 30th

Hello all!

Been to the gym today - just a quickie workout. Did some back stuff - felt a SOLID tricep and didn't realise what it was! Crossed my arms between sets on the seated row and actually had to look to see what I'd touched! Felt like wood to me!

Ok, enough bragging!

How's everyone?
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #2  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

2Fru – haha! I can’t wait till I lose enough arm flab to actually see or feel the muscles in there. Nice work!

It’s been unbelievably hot here this weekend, and humid too. Since when do we have humidity in the summer in LA? On Saturday I had to be on the Paramount lot at 4 to help set up for a work event. I thought I was gonna be a puddle on the pavement by the time guests arrived. So much for trying to look glamorous.

I managed to get some rollerblading in this weekend, sweating like a pig, but it still felt pretty good. I walked the dog to his class yesterday, so he was too hot and tired to misbehave by the time we got there. We did a full run through of the test he has to take in two weeks and he didn’t fail any of the tasks.

Pretty much living on fruit and spinach salads, it’s too hot to cook. I’m heading to yoga after work today, looking forward to that since it’s been a couple of weeks.

I haven’t really set any weight loss goals for myself in a while, just sort of been coasting and maintaining. I have to say I’m pretty surprised at how much I can get away with and not gain any weight. Must have something to do with the muscle I’ve put on. But I think it’s about time I dig in again, back to counting calories on fitday.com and that whole bit. My next mini goal is to lose 10 pounds by my sister’s wedding, which is Oct 7. That’s nearly 11 weeks, so it should be doable if I can get my act together again. Even if I don’t make that goal by that specific date I’ll be happy if I can start losing anything at all.

Hope you all have your week off to a good start.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #3  
Mel

Thanks for starting the thread, Fru, my life is a little at the moment. hahaha, when is it not?

I started the morning very early (hence not starting the thread) having what seemed like several gallons of blood drawn by a totally inept lab tech. I have a HUGE bruise on my arm, a lot like the one on my legs from where I fall over the squat racks

Next step was a leg workout. Not one of my best- I think I was down a few quarts. Two trainers were fired this morning, leaving me and a guy who is leaving next week anyway. It was hard to concentrate on my workout.

Off to do cardio now, then back to the gym to see if I still have a job

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:38 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Oh my Mel, hope your job is not in jeopardy also...

Shana -- Your plan for just losing weight by the wedding date is a very good idea...

2F -- Wooden triceps that's pretty kewl...

I'm back to basics this week, I measured yesterday and I am up an inch on my hips since Christmas and I do NOT like that... I know the reason is because I am drinking too much wine and beer , so I will limit my alchool to the weekends, I've been having like a beer/wine or two daily, that's not a good plan for losing weight...

This morning I got DD up early and we went rollerblading for about an hour then I went to the gym for legs , and I've just finished an hour weeding the garden... and food has been spot on so far today...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

for you Mel

That sounds like a good goal Shan - I'm aiming for a pound a week loss for my wedding It looks like it might happen too!

Super-clean eating today. Had big stupid bust-up at kickboxing and am very sad and angry. Came home, had salmon and green beans, then wanted chocolate. And ice-cream. Or chocolate ice cream!!!! I've got Haagen Daazs cookies and cream in the freezer. I made myself a chocolate protein shake

Off to polish my halo now....

Ilene - alchohol tastes to me, so I don't have that problem. How about telling yourself you have an "allergy" to it? I tell myself I don't like mince pies at Christmas (I didn't for about 23 years till I tried one! ), so it's a little bit easier to leave them behind. Just a thought
Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #6  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Oh wine and beer. I love the stuff too, especially when it’s so hot out. When I get home from the gym nothing goes better with dinner than an ice cold fizzy beer. I wish I could talk myself into not liking the stuff, but I don’t think that’s possible. Where I’m from people drink beer like it’s water! In the interest of my new 10 pound goal though I think I’m gonna have to abstain for the next couple of months.

2fru - Way to go on the clean eats! I feel like my system is finally recovered from the wedding weekend. All I ate was fatty salty foods, it was actually quite a relief to come home and cook for myself instead of going out for every meal.

Yoga was great last night. We did some pretty fancy balance poses, well at least by me they were. And I only fell twice. And I can definitely feel my glutes this morning.

Off to the gym for elliptical and UB lifting tonight.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Hi all! Vertigo's been pretty bad these last few days, so haven't worked out, but am training my arthritic couple tonight and hope I can hit the elliptical machines afterwards...better for me since I can hold on.

Have an Arthritis training workshop coming up that I'm excited about...will give me certification to train arthritic clients for 3 years. I'm hoping they will help me find organizations to train through. Don't think Bally will do anything for me...they give out training assignments indiscriminately. Then in September I am taking a Strong Women weight training certification workshop....Mel...you may want to look into this. Check out the website StrongWomen.com. It's through Tufts University. You would be perfect for this.

Haven't done diddly squat since last week and am feeling old and creaky. My grandbaby was here this weekend and all my energy went into running around after her. Not that I'm complaining! It was great, but my routines went to pot. need to get back on track.

Susan

Have a good day all!
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:42 PM   #8  
Mel

Susan- I'll look at that. Thanks! Have your docs figured out the vertigo?

I'm still employeed, but kind of sneaking around trying to avoid being there at the same time as the old owner who fired another trainer last night. How silly- they only own the place for another 4 days and the new owner has already moved in.

Last night ds and I went to see the Dixie Chicks. I walked around center city Philadelphia for about 5 hours before the concert, then stood through the whole thing. My legs are aching! They may be canceling concerts in some parts of the country, but it was a sellout here. And loud. With the acoustics of...the hockey arena where it was held. I have so much of their music on my ipod, that I realized I'm usually either running, pedalling, or "ellipticaling" when I hear them

Mel
Old 07-26-2006, 06:24 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, Mel, I'm jealous! I have their new CD at work and listen to it at least once a day, usually more. However, it's 2:30 and the first time I've been at my desk all day, so this will be a one-time day.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:33 AM   #10  
aka Superwoman!

Did some chest and a couple of abs yesterday - I also did some pull-ups Actually, they were cheaty pull-ups - I had my heels up on a step, they were quite hard still!!! I couldn't get my chin over the bar, but that may have more to do with positioning since I felt like I was more under the bar than by the side of it!

Anyways, my shoulder is slightly achey this morning - I've a wierd niggly injury that doesn't seem to get worse and occasionally gets better until I lift heavy or smack someone with a right hook! Will be taking it easy on the old arms till Monday or Tuesday, so it should be ok. I've brought ice packs to work with me - partially for the shoulder, partially to cool down in this stupid STUPID heat
Old 07-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Fru, good luck with figuring out what's wrong with your shoulder, here's a kiss to make it better (smack!).

Mel, what's happening with your job? Have you heard anything positive from the new employer? I wish you luck.

Still don't know what's up with my vertigo...see an ENT in two weeks to rule out inner ear problems...if it's due to the stroke, guess I will have to live with it.

Water rat, how's the weather up north?

Ilene, with all you do, that inch is going to disappear like magic.

Shenanigans...here that the hot humid weather is still stuck over CA. heheh....getting a taste of what it's like in DC all the time. Now you can understand our moaning and groaning. Only good thing about it is that it makes my hair curl.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Ha, Susan, funny you should ask! Yesterday "they" predicted scattered showers, but we paid little attention as they usually don't happen. Well I looked out the window early in the afternoon and it was POURING! That went on for 1/2 hour or so, then slowed to a drizzle/light shower. But about an hour later, same thing again, for longer. Once again it tapered off. Then about 5:30 I was driving over to a friend's house about 20 miles from home. Rained about 1/2 way over then, then stopped. By the time we turned off onto the road that goes the last 8 miles to her house, it was apparent that it had not rained there at all! Completely dry, though we'd had over 1" Weird. Today it's clear and sunny here, but it was 39 degrees this morning! It's supposed to be in the mid-70's (normal to hot for us) though. Good thing as we have our final summer reading story hour - complete with puppies! We want to be out on the lawn vs. in on the carpet.

Oh, and my girls salmon fishing trip was great - esp as I caught my limit! Here's a shot of us fishing. I'm in the red shirt sitting on the engine compartment - a good spot apparently.

WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Pat what a nice picture!!

I'm enjoying this heat, but I have a pool and AC, so I am totally spoiled rotten, the best of both worlds.

I've been good all week except for some wine last night it was DH's first evening of his vacation so we make a small fire and sat around till 11PM, it was nice, almost romantic, but the kids were home ... We have no big plans except good ole R&R...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #14  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated
Anyways, my shoulder is slightly achey this morning - I've a wierd niggly injury that doesn't seem to get worse and occasionally gets better until I lift heavy or smack someone with a right hook!
Frus - what specific movements or exercises make your shoulder hurt? Is it associated with external or internal rotation of your hands/arms at all? And where exactly does it hurt anatomically? Can you put your arm behind your back? Does it hurt to put your arm in a sleeve?

(I now know waaaay too much about shoulder injuries!)
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:20 PM   #15  
Mel

Yikes, that was what I was about to post, Meg!

Fru- shoulders are fragile and poorly designed joints. Yours are getting a lot of use and abuse. If it doesn't seem to be getting better, if you are experiencing limitations in range of motion, and/or getting weaker, pain sleeping on it...go see a doctor. Some injuries you can't just work through. I did a lot of damage to mine (and so did Meg) with the "it will get better if I keep working to make it stronger" approach.

Great pic, Pat! Salmon and cooler summers...Alaska is sounding good about now.

Mel