Old 07-17-2006, 11:50 AM   #1  
mostly harmless

Default 3000 calories per day not enough!

My husband's bloodwork came back and his triglycerides are far too high, so he joined me in calorie counting last Friday to drop some weight and see if that helps. I figured for him that a 3000 per day calorie level would be a nice easy sustainable drop for him. He's 6'2", 238 lbs, and fairly active.

He's losing a pound a day! That's far too fast.

According to our fat percentage scale, he's only 26% body fat, so we are only aiming to take him down to 208 lbs, which will be about 14% body fat.

As part of the treatment for high triglycerides, we are upping the percentage of protein in his diet and limiting carbs- I wonder if that's causing the precipitous drop?

This is troubling. 3000 calories per day should have caused about a half pound a week, not a pound a day!

Weird.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The first week often takes off a huge amount of water. It isn't unusual to take off 3 to 4 times what will come off the following weeks. If he isn't unbearably hungry, he might want to see what comes off the second and third week before deciding whether to change what or how much he is eating.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Yes, don't go by the first week -- water weight is very likely the culprit. Give it some time. 3000 calories may even end up being a little high for him to lose weight... everyone is different. But it sounds like you are taking a good tack here and starting to make modifications and get him to think about what he's eating -- that's the important part!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree as well...see what happens over the next couple of weeks as well-the weight loss should slow quite a bit. If he lost 5-7 pounds this week, then next week it would be perfectly normal for that to drop a bit to 3-5 pounds in a week, etc.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #5  
mostly harmless

I don't see where the water weight would be stored on him- he's got muscles like a body builder, and the only fat on him is in his abdomen. His belly does look something like a basketball- or did. I guess the "water weight" was in there.

He's one of those guys whose belly fat is INSIDE the abdominal wall, which is supposed to be a definite indicator of metabolic syndrome which is a precurser to diabetes.

I'll be much happier about his health when he loses that interabdominal fat. It's a definite dangers sign, no matter how healthy the rest of his body is!

I just figured he'd do it over a year, not a month!

I agree with you all. I'm sure his weightloss will taper off after the first week is done.... although, you never know. He is an athlete and quite active in his judo club. They have two grueling workouts a week, and he's now joined me with weight lifting twice a week, too. He's definitely burning a lot of calories. We'll see.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #6  

Quote:
I don't see where the water weight would be stored on him- he's got muscles like a body builder, and the only fat on him is in his abdomen. His belly does look something like a basketball- or did. I guess the "water weight" was in there.
Actually, over 50% of our body is composed of water, if I have my facts straight, and it is all over our bodies. That's one of the reasons why it is important to stay hydrated, keep the levels of water in our bodies high.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

This is correct.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:43 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaOfColumbia
I don't see where the water weight would be stored on him
Like wyllenn said, water is everywhere! I notice when I start losing (losing water weight in particular), my wrists and ankles get much thinner. Now, of all places, would I have thought I was storing water there, or would anyone else notice they got thinner? Heck no! But it happens. Pick up a gallon of water--that's heavy stuff. But imagine that gallon of water spread throughout your entire body--it would be a very thin layer, likely unnoticable, so of course you won't miss it when it's gone, either
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

You might take into consideration that his metabolism is not whacked out from constant dieting. We women who have been on and off diets for most of our lives have (in some cases) really messed up our metabolism. Men don't typically diet, and they are generally more active, so when they do start a diet, their bodies react faster. I agree with everyone, wait a week or so and then start looking. It could be the water or it could be the male body itself!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Yeah, I always thought one of the reasons I was so successful this attempt was the fact I hadn't "dieted" in 5 years. I lost weight very consistently which helped me stay motivated to keep at it.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #11  
Susan hockeyfan7

Eating high protein will also make the weight come off differently. When I was on the Atkins plan, it was not unusual for me to drop 5 lbs a week and that kept up for quite a while. I dropped 30 lbs the first month. But then I was also 390 lbs when I started.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #12  

Susan -- You are really doing great! 140 pounds lost -- that's fantastic!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #13  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Maria.. maybe you should do some research on lowering blood fat levels and see what your research comes up with. Perhaps it's more 'what' is being eaten than how much, that could be the cause.

Try adding some oatmeal/fiber sorts of items to his diet, I have heard that can do wonders. I think it soaks up the goo and flushes it out over time! heheeh Are his cholesterol levels fine and it's just the triglycerides?
Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #14  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
Like wyllenn said, water is everywhere! I notice when I start losing (losing water weight in particular), my wrists and ankles get much thinner. Now, of all places, would I have thought I was storing water there, or would anyone else notice they got thinner? Heck no! But it happens. Pick up a gallon of water--that's heavy stuff. But imagine that gallon of water spread throughout your entire body--it would be a very thin layer, likely unnoticable, so of course you won't miss it when it's gone, either
Jill thanks for your post, I was looking at my ankles last week and wondering why they looked so frighteningly thin. Seems like I am losing weight from the bottom up, my ankles and calves are now SO THIN in comparison it just makes the rest of my look bigger instead of smaller! Okay, I will get used to the shape eventually, but I was wondering how I could possibly lose from my ankles, now it all makes sense!
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #15  
Susan hockeyfan7

Another thing that really helps drop cholesterol is red yeast rice. You can get it at Vitamin Cottage or Whole Foods. It's been used in China for years - it's a fermented rice.

My husband took it for 8 weeks and quit his medicine - his numbers went back to normal. A friend of ours took it as well and gave up his meds too.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote