Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

Question Good Video for Weight Lifting?

Okay, I'm ready to hit the weights. I don't have a membership at a gym, but do have a small home gym with a weight machine, a weight bench (dh's), and dumbbells in size 3 & 5, for now. DH has barbells and heavier weights from his teenage days. I really like the convenience of my basement, but would like to have a form of instruction to make sure that I am doing the lifts accurately. I read some previous posts and Kathy Smith's name came up as a good video in regards to this, but are there any others that might be better or just as good for variety?

I have visited www.stumptuous.com which is a great site and read "Weight Training for Dummies" which also gives some great tips in lifting, but I would like to be able to view someone in "real action" to make sure that I understand. Thanks....
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #2  

I don't know about videos, but I always use exrx.net for reference on exercises. Their videos are excellent. There are other sites that have good photographs or videos also.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #3  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

i have used videos and dvd's by Joyce Vedral but currently only have her Definition dvd. I highly recommend them as a great workout with weights.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #4  

I think Kathy Smith is really great for a beginner. Her Lift Weights to Lose Weight is the perfect beginner video because she gives you lots of options.

Cathe Friedrich is one of the most respected video instructors out there and she has all of her usually very expensive tapes on sale on her website because they are getting rid of all VHS. Push Pull is a great total body workout using a ball but she has high rep, low rep, pyramids, supersetting, and all sorts of other tapes

Finally Jari Love is another favorite she has 3 tapes in the Ripped Series that are total body workouts using high rep training that many say is better for weight loss.
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

I'll second (third?) the Kathy Smith DVD - which coincidentally I'll be using this weekend because my gym has some sort of water (or more correctly no water) problem and is closed.... GRRR they closed Mon and Tues for the holiday and are never open on Sundays - I think I need a refund for this month!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #6  

Kathy Smith videos are good for beginners (I use Lift Weights to Lose Weight 2) -- although a warning if you ever want to do any of her step ones, her cueing is terrible.

Of course the FIRM has tons of videos that focus on weights, although I'm no expert in which series to get, but some online research should point you in the right direction.

I have Cathe DVDs that I use all the time, particularily Cardio & Weights, Body Fusion and Step, Jump & Pump. All good and very challenging.

I'm also a fan of Karen Voight, particularly her Energy Sprint DVD (I'm nicely sore across the chest, back and shoulders from doing this one yesterday).

One nice thing about using DVDs is you can mix and match using the chapter functions, skipping ahead to weight segments you may want to do.

One website I like for reviews and information on various exercise videos is Video Fitness

This is great as well.

Also check your local library and try a few out before you make a purchase.

Have fun!

Pat
Remotely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #7  

The 2 videos I have tried were

Shaping Up with weights for dummies (Didn't care for, shows form, but too slow)
Leslie sansone Short Cuts Upper Body (Preferred this one, worked arms, shoulders, back etc, all while sitting on a a chair)

Check out Collagevideo
so that you can see short clips of all the videos
89fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:59 AM   #8  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to chime in with a 2nd recommendation with Jari Love - It's High Rep Lower weight workout (Like Body Pump) but if your just starting out and lifting to exhaustion you will build muscle fairly well despite the low weights - Ive noticed great results in a few months!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote