General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 02:56 PM   #1  
210 / 193 / 140

Default Discouraged at New Job

I'm actively looking for a regular job in my field of study, but in the meantime, I'm doing light industrial and other jobs through a temp agency. I'm also determined to 1) lose weight once and for all, and 2) enter a 7-mile race in May, but walking, not running. But--I have a foot injury that makes it difficult to stand in one place very long.

The temp agency was sending me out to a plant where I had to stand for eight hours on concrete floors. I could hardly walk by the time I got home, much less exercise. So last week, I asked to be let off that assignment early. The temp agency has reassigned me to another job where they promised I'd do "occasional standing, but mostly sitting". The new job has better pay, and more potential to move up in the company because of my degree, if I get hired on permanently.

But in the meantime, the new job had me standing an awful lot this week, especially yesterday. And it's ten-hour days, instead of eight-hour days like the assignment I quit. I'm hoping the schedule will be different next week, but I must admit I'm discouraged. This company is considered a highly desirable place to work, and the temp agency feels like they're doing me a big favor to send me there, but it's really getting me down to feel like I'm doing more damage to my foot. I don't really even have a question, I'm just venting because I feel frustrated and stuck, and it helps to put it in writing.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #2  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Do you have any doctor's orders to restrict the amount of time you can stand? If so, share that info with the temp agency and ask if they can speak on your behalf with the company to which you've been assigned.

If you feel comfortable enough, perhaps you could approach the supervisor at the company yourself, but I know how it can be with temp agencies -- some like to be involved with all client negotiations (others don't care).

If you don't have a doctor's note, can you get one? It will strengthen your request for a job that requires less standing.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:45 PM   #3  
210 / 193 / 140

I've considered going back to my doctor, but I'm not sure when I can manage it. The company where I'm assigned doesn't want us to take time off from work for our personal appointments, since we theoretically have Fridays off. But in practice, with the product going into production full swing, we're working five ten-hour days a week, which means I don't get off work till it's too late to get to the doctor.

I just wish I didn't have to choose between bringing home a paycheck and taking care of my foot. And I'm embarassed to ask for special consideration when I'm sure I can't be the only one who has problems standing all day. But if I'm standing most of Monday, I'll definitely have to call my temp agency as soon as I get home that day.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:37 AM   #4  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Ouch! Sounds like you are in a tough position.
What is wrong with your foot if you don't mind me asking? My oldest son has horrid feet and we have spent a small fortune on ortho inserts for his shoes.
And spent many hours in clinics/hospitals due to his feet.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:40 AM   #5  

Ok I'm English/Australian so know nothing about your work rules. However, is there not Occupational Health and Safety Legislation in your country? In both England and Oz an employer has to make reasonable adjustments if you have a medical need that needs to be accommodated, if they refuse, they can be prosecuted by the state.

It's probably way different in the US, but worth checking out where you stand.

For example I am asthmatic. When I started at the company I told them that fresh pain and new carpet and air conditioning are my main triggers. A few months ago they laid new carpet. They were obliged to make a reasonable adjustment, which was moving me to a building with old carpet. If that hadn't have been possible, we would have had to have come to a mutually agreeable arrangement.

Is there someone at the company you could talk to about it without making a fuss?

Your health and wellbeing are important, you only get one set of feet!
Old 03-18-2006, 11:31 AM   #6  
210 / 193 / 140

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It helps me keep my spirits up when I can come here and share my worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
However, is there not Occupational Health and Safety Legislation in your country? In both England and Oz an employer has to make reasonable adjustments if you have a medical need that needs to be accommodated, if they refuse, they can be prosecuted by the state.
Well, there is the Americans With Disabilities Act that requires reasonable accomodation, not that I'm legally disabled, of course. It's just that I hate to seem to be asking for special privileges, when there are people there who are even older (and presumably even more prone to joint problems) than I. But I will ask anyway, if they have me on my feet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da fat n da furious
What is wrong with your foot if you don't mind me asking?
I have pain in the ball of the foot, and it feels like the bones are out of alignment, if that makes sense. It started as a heel spur that went untreated for a long time, because I thought the heel spur was just normal arthritis. I guess all the limping from the heel pain put too much stress on the rest of the foot. My heel is fine now. I can walk for two miles or more without much discomfort, but when I have to stand, the ball of the foot hurts. If I'm standing very long, I develop sharp shooting pains in the arch, and twinges in the back of my knee.

Gee, seeing that in writing is making me take it more seriously. I guess I need to stop whining and start talking to a supervisor.

Part of my discouragement is from the pain/standing after I'd been led to believe I'd be sitting most of the day, but part is also from being underemployed, relative to my education and training. I spent my day off yesterday combing the job ads and working on cover letters. After all my hard work in college, finding myself at a relatively unskilled job makes me feel like such a loser. And then I get down on myself for my attitude, because at least I'm doing honest work, at a good company, making a medical product that's going to save someone's life. Gosh, I'm sorry for the self-pity party, but it helps to vent a little and get a fresh perspective from people who aren't enmeshed in the situation.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #7  
soon to be skinny ;)

I think it's very insightful of you to realize that most of your emotions are centered around the fact that you feel like a "loser". But don't! Life changes at the drop of a hat and if you keep pressing forward, you will find a fulfilling career before you know it. In the meantime, use this as an opportunity to just gain more life experience. Don't resent it, embrace it as time to develop your character. Believe me, this is exactly what I'm doing.

As far as your injury and accomodation - put your foot down (pun intended ) and make yourself a priority. Don't put your needs on the backburner until it is too late! What if the pain gets so bad one day they have to rush you to the hospital, or send you home? That would be much more embarassing than having a discussion with your supervisor. I think it would be important to stress what you were <i>told</i> you would be doing versus what you <i>are</i> doing. As you said, this is not what you bargained for. Remember, these are important needs and so assert them as such. Do not feel guilty for expressing what you need so you can do a good job and give back to the company.

Anyways, I'm so glad you posted this because it feels so good to be able to give someone advice and maybe help their situation a bit. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2006, 09:37 PM   #8  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

What is your field of study? With a college education, I'd be surprised that the temp agency can't work on finding you a clerical / admin / customer service job instead of light industrial. You might want to check out different agencies -- many of them work with different companies and offer much better positions. I've worked as a staffing manager at two different agencies, and trust me, while they may all seem alike from the outside, they're really not.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:21 AM   #9  
210 / 193 / 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosh
As far as your injury and accomodation - put your foot down (pun intended ) and make yourself a priority. Don't put your needs on the backburner until it is too late!
Thanks, Toosh. If I'm standing again on Monday, I will definitely contact the temp agency and let them know there's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Chickie
What is your field of study? With a college education, I'd be surprised that the temp agency can't work on finding you a clerical / admin / customer service job instead of light industrial.
My degree is in the computer science/IT field, which is probably all right for finding a job in this town if you have two or three years of industry experience. However, it doesn't seem to be very useful when you only have the degree with little real-world experience (which is my situation). The temp agency actually thought they were doing me a favor to send me to this job, since it's a growing tech company where a four-year degree might make me eligible for a much better job at some point. I can see their point, but in the meantime, I'm thinking, "I knocked myself out getting a degree like that, so I could stand here ruining my foot while I hand-count tiny washers by the thousand?" I did send my resume to another temp agency on Friday, just in case.
Closed Thread