Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-24-2006, 04:37 PM   #1  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default Min. Carb totals for weight lifting?

I eat quite low carb, simply because I have issues with the stuff. I love it, but my body just likes to store it. So....last weekend, I had a fairly high carb weekend, did my ubwo on monday....ate low carb all week, and today, I had to fight with myself to get the same weight totals lifted today.

So....for someone who really cannot eat alot of carbs (because of my addiction tendencies) what would be fairly safe gram number per day, to keep my muscle strength up and growing? I seem to be ok with oatmeal, and brown rice for starchy carbs, and an apple in the evening only seem to be ok.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:52 PM   #2  
Meg

In my opinion, the type of carbs you eat is just as important as the grams and it sounds like you're eating all the right ones. Complex carbs, like your oatmeal, brown rice, and apples will fuel your workouts without triggering carb cravings (hopefully). And those are exactly the same carbs that I eat (plus veggies, sweet pototoes and some other kinds of fruit).

How many grams of carbs are you usually eating now? I typically find myself around 100 - 120g, which some people would call 'high' and some would call 'low'. That generally buys me a bowl of oatmeal, ton of salad and veggies, and a piece of fruit or two.

I've lifted on very low carbs (20 grams or so) and was much weaker than usual. I didn't like the feeling. On the other hand, many people hit their personal bests after a carb-fest -- your muscles love it, even if your weight loss doesn't. It sounds like that's what happened to you.

So what's a typical day for you - in grams - and how do you usually feel in the gym?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #3  

RobinW,
I also find that I do better with lower reps and more sets when I am on a low carb diet. 5x5 or 6x4 (six sets of four reps) with 80-85% of my 1RM (one rep max) rather than three sets of 10 or more reps (~65-70% 1RM). I feel much stronger in the high rep range when I am carbed up.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

You're right Robert, I felt considerably stronger on Monday. Today felt like I did a back slide.

I was also very very happy when I finally finished my workout today, I was very tired by the time I was done. I had even eaten before I left.

I need to eat smarter I think

Meg, typically since monday everyday, (except today) was below 30grams a day. Today when I came home from the gym, I immediately popped one of Mel's protein bars in the nuker the thaw, then ate it. I knew thats what the problem was, but I was hoping I could get away with carbing up just once a week. Guess not Today so far is 67 grams of carbs. Since tonight is movie night w/dh, I'll add some baked doritos and salsa w/light velveeta.

I am not a big salad fan....its the lettuce :P So, I'll have big bowls of veggies instead. When Im having trouble with sugar cravings, I eat only veggies and chicken and fish. When Im ok (in the head) I'll have your's or Mel's protein bars, I'll have oatmeal with my protein drink in the morning. I love chocolate oatmeal!! I'll also eat a bit of brown rice done in a big stir fry with heaps of crunchy veggies. Fruit is very minimal, an apple once in a while, but only in the evening, and fairly close to bedtime (that way if the sugar cravings hit I'll be asleep ) Berries when they are in season, and I dont need to take out a loan to buy them, cantelope once in a while, and way too much watermelon in the summer Ive never been a big fruit eater.

Thanks for the help Meg, I really appreciate it
Old 02-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #5  
Meg

Robin, I think most serious lifters (like I know you are ) eat more than 30g carbs a day. It would be very tough - in my opinion - to consistently lift on carbs that low.

I know you're afraid of triggering cravings and totally understand why you want to avoid them at all costs. But perhaps some experimenting is in order? You may discover that you can eat more good carbs than you do now, work out stronger, and still manage not to trigger cravings.

You could just gradually start to raise your daily totals by 10g at a time to see how your body responds. Or some people do a three-day carb up cycle - fairly low carbs on Days One and Two and a carb up - with GOOD carbs, not sugar! - on Day Three. Others carb cycle - say between 60g and 120g per day ... so it would be 60g on Day One, 80g on Day Two, 100g on Day Three, 120g on Day Four, then back to 60g on Day Five etc. You can tweak that basic idea to whatever suits you.

Maybe you'd consider playing around with the carbs a bit? There's a world of whole grains, sweet potatoes and low GI fruits that could be a healthy addition to your diet.

I have to ask - do you have before and now pictures anywhere? I'm blown away by your weight loss!
Old 02-24-2006, 08:04 PM   #6  
Lovin' Life

I have some in my profile, but those pictures aren't at my highest. I'll dig up the highest ....its around here somewhere.

I'll give the carbs a try the way you have them described and see how it goes. I think the hardest part for me will be keeping the fat intake down when I do this.

I'll let you know how it goes after a week.

Thanks again
Old 02-24-2006, 11:30 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

What I have discovered with MY carb cravings is that I MUST keep them portions controlled! If I only have 1/2 a cup of brown rice or even white rice I am good, I don't question it, I just have the half cup and even if I get the craving I say to myself: " I have had my good unprocessed carbs so my body MUST be happy with it... PERIOD"... But I do know that with ONLY 30g of carbs I would be very weak for weight training and other exercises, Robing it does seem to be very low...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:55 PM   #8  
Lovin' Life

I have to use my measuring cup for my rice or else it just doesnt look like enough

I think Ive got it planned out....tomorrow will start at 60, then I'll work my way up for 4 days. Then back to 60 again.

Here is my highest photo...its over 300lbs, Im not sure what exactly because the scale ground out on the 2nd lap.

The photo in my profile with the dog on my lap, and with me holding flowers are both at about 225. I dont know what Im at in the top 2...just big. I do remember that the white shirt I have on is a 4x.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (1.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 02-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #9  
Meg

Oh Robin -- you've come a long, long way!

And you're in the home stretch now!
Old 02-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #10  
Lovin' Life

I am Meg.....and I sooooooooo want to be in shorts and cute strappy tank tops this summer and not have to hide! I'm going to get there!!
Old 02-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Robin you look awesome
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #12  
Mel

Robin- You're doing fantastically

I tried a very low carb diet (20 per day) with a once a week carb up for a while, and I was miserable. My carb up was on Saturdays, so I spent most of Sunday in a coma, felt great on Monday and Tuesday, and could barely funtion by Friday. I've gone back to eating between 80-110 carbs per day made up of oatmeal, sweet potato, Fiber One cereal, loads of vegetables, about an apple a day, and fresh or frozen berries.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote