Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #1  

Default Rice and more

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so sorry if it isn't. When I am on a diet, after about a week or so I start to crave carbs like crazy! I end up failing my diet by having some pretzels,rice, or crackers. I am vegan so there isn't a lot of bread like products I can have. Once I eat some rice or a handful of pretzels, I tell myself " that's it, no more" but before I know it, I'm eating chips and other crap I shouldn't be having.

How do I get past the urge to eat carbs? And is rice really bad for you?
Old 01-08-2006, 08:16 AM   #2  
Opulent

Is rice "bad"? No. If it makes you feel like over eating it needs to be monitored though, and I find combining it with other foods helps a lot. I only eat wild, red, black and brown rices, no refined rice for me!

Sounds like focusing on getting more proten would help you. I always eat beans or lentils and veggies with any rice I eat and it helps me feel satisfied and provides a more complete source of protein and nutrients.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:07 PM   #3  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

I have the same problem.

Other ideas include barley, couscous, whole-wheat pasta, and brown rice. I bake quickbreads with whole wheat. (And I have good recipes for vegan quickbreads and muffins. If you want the recipes, PM me. )
Old 01-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #4  
Xer
What a dork.

Try eating slower and drinking water with rice. It expands in your stomach and that should help.. assuming that you're already doing it. Lol
Old 01-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Try the Wholefoods or Trader Joes for some better cracker options. Kashi has some good ones TLC but I am not sure if they are completely vegan.

If you like carbs then try switching to whole grain breads or breads like Ezekiel brand - they are made from sprouted grains instead of wheat flour. Brown rice, wholewheat couscous and whole wheat pasta are better carbs for someone who is a carb craver.

BTW - I keep the Ezekiel bread in the freezer and only take out what I need as it I find it doesn't keep well on the kitchen counter since the bread doensn't contain additives and preservatives like usual bread brands.

Planning some healthy snacks throughout and making sure they are easily available to you can also help with snack attacks.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/213/199

I get to craving carbs too, there could be a couple of issues, the first that comes to my mind is you are not getting enough good quality protein, I totally agree with what others are saying, eat whole grain only brown rice, whole wheat bread whole grain cereals, you will stay much more satisfied and usually these products have a better protein content.
Closed Thread