Alternachicks - January fresh start challenge!

View Full Version : January fresh start challenge!

mauvaisroux
01-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Well now that the holidays are over we can face the new year with a fresh outlook and get into enjoying the winter season. :)

For this month's challenge we can post our goals - i.e. fitness, health or better eating.

The challenge will end on January 31. We can do it! :cheer:

mauvaisroux
01-01-2006, 05:15 PM
I would like to reach my goal weight and be in maintenance by July 2006 :carrot:

So this month I will work on:

Keeping my food journal
Exercising for at least 30 minutes per day
Drinking more water each day
Making ww friendly dinners

ajandpj99
01-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Well since I have been averaging 5lbs per month - that is the first part to be 212 by the 31st (210 by VD).

The next part is that I need to drink more water - this is very hard when it isnt hot out - so if I can do 2 bottles (32 oz) per day that is more than twice what I have been getting - since it got cold.

The last thing is that I want to go horse back riding at least once this month - this may be a tall order since DH never has time and I want him to go too.

:carrot: Good LUCK to ALL!

Tani
01-01-2006, 10:54 PM
This month I'm adding in strength training 3 days a week. I get a bit of it already in my aquacize classes, but I think it's time to add some different moves.

Other than that I just want to keep on keeping on. :) I'll also continue to fine tune my maintenance calories.

lizziness
01-02-2006, 11:22 PM
this month is going to be based on organizing. i want to get a journal going, start up with flylady again because now that my schedule has changed my productivity at home has really slumped.
hubby and i are considering joining the gym and going swimming after work a few nights a week, if we do that, then i'll adjust my jan goal accordingly with that... as it is now, i'm doing physical therapy and i've been in too much pain to do much exercise... but i do have back exercises to keep up and i want to do my best with that to finally feel better.
i also plan to make all the drs appts that i need this month, dentist, gyno, etc and get it all out of the way.
good luck ladies!

KnittinKitten
01-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Wow, I've been gone from here for quite a while. I guess that's what sometimes happens when you get a new job and move. But it is a time for some new goals.
Goals:
-Make it to yoga class on Sundays. My job is stressful and I feel this would be beneficial
-Get back in the habit of really working out again (at least 5 days a week)

tnfaith
01-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Can I join your challenge?

my goal would be 5 lbs and 10 inches

drink more water 60 oz a day

exercise at least 3 times a week

Daffadil71
01-03-2006, 06:06 PM
well...i always like a good challange. Well.. first i need to learn to type. (Just kidding). Seriously... i am shooting for at least 3 days a week at the gym. ( im starting small here folks okay?. I want to drink more water. I can drink enough to sink a sub but at work the cooler is on the first floor and im on the second and i have yet to get my powers to have it magically come to me nor have they given me a butler yet so you see my dilema. I need to get off my lazy butt and get more water. And goal three... i will actually take my lunch break for at least three days a week and use it for me. ( i never do and i think its sucking my brain out) besides why give the state of nj my services for free? Well there you have it..

mauvaisroux
01-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Welcome everyone :wave:

Well I'm onto day 3 of the "back on track" plan and so far so good. I have eaten pretty well, gotten some exercise and feel pretty good. :)

mauvaisroux
01-06-2006, 11:20 AM
I've been doing pretty good this week except for an incident last night involving some fresh crusty bread from the local Portuguese bakery :o

I still need to increase my exercise though.

ajandpj99
01-06-2006, 11:39 AM
So far so good - I have been drinking more water and agreed to let DH act as my trainer starting next week we are gonna work out together 4 times a week - cardio first followed by 30-45 mins of weights concentrating on 1 body section at a time. Arms, Chest, Legs, Back.

And we finished off all the goodies last weekend so no more temptations lying around.:D

Cyl53
01-06-2006, 08:12 PM
For the New Year I am wanting to get back into aerobics consistently. I plan to keep a food and exercise journal as well since I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes 2. I'd like to lose 10 lbs. by March.

On a more personal note, I'd like to work on making a Goddess oriented altar space for myself. I have always been drawn to Kwan Yin...the protectress of women and children.

Blessed Be

Cyl

hannah_phi
01-06-2006, 08:15 PM
This month my goals are:
1. Lose 4 lbs.
2. Shine my sink every evening (yup, I'm a flybaby too).
3. Exercise 4X a week.
4. Drink 96 ozs (3 Nalgene bottles full) of water a day.

I just got back from vacation and I really packed on the pounds while I was gone. I had planned to hike everyday while I was there, but it didn't happen due to the flood of the decade. Now I'm back and I'm totally dedicated to doing what I have to to reach my goals this year.:carrot:

tnfaith
01-07-2006, 10:35 AM
:carrot: i am feeling really good about the whole wl exercise thing this week, i got in my water and exercised did well with the food i had on hand and am down 2 lbs only 3 more to go to my January goal!

mauvaisroux
01-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Cyl - sorry to hear that you have Diabetes :grouphug:

Today DH and I walked down to the local rec center to check out the swimming schedules, fees, and other classes.

We are thinking of getting a family membership for swimming and going swimming 2- 3 times per week in addition to taking a yoga class together.

hannah_phi
01-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Cyl: For journaling you may want to try fitday, if you don't already use it. I'm guessing you need to track your carbs and fat farily closely and fitday is great for that.

tnfaith: Keep up the great work! :carrot:

Mauv: How was the rec center?

I'm always amazed at what a little attentiveness will achieve. I've already lost 2 pounds! I'm half way to my goal!! I've been kicking butt with water drinking, I returned to my normal flexitarian diet (I generally don't eat meat, except seafood, at home) and I've been planning my meals. :carrot: This afternoon I'm going over to a friend's for pizza, beer and football. I'm going to have to be very careful, but I think I'll eat a bowl of cereal before I go so that I'm not hungry when I get there. :cool:

mauvaisroux
01-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Hannah- Good going and keep it up :cheer:

The rec centre was great! I used to go swimming there when I was a teen with my aunt when she lived up the street from it. It was and old building with some lovely architecture but outdated equipment. I used to love the pool though as it had high ceilings and an antiquated feel to it.

I haven't been there in years and it has been completely renovated with an addition and updated facilities. They did keep the original facade at the front which is probably because it was designated as a heritage building. I'm glad as it has a certain charm about it. :)

I think we will be getting a family membership for 1 month to try it out and then see where we go from there. DH loves to swim and has developed a sudden interest in yoga since he picked up a book by a famous wrestler called "Yoga for regular guys" - I guess if a pro-wrestler can do yoga then it's not just for girls :rofl: I figure that I better strike while the iron is hot since I have been suggesting yoga to him for the last 5 years. Apparently I know nothing but if Diamond Dallas Page says it's so then it must be :rolleyes:

Yogini
01-09-2006, 10:07 AM
I guess if a pro-wrestler can do yoga then it's not just for girls :rofl: I figure that I better strike while the iron is hot since I have been suggesting yoga to him for the last 5 years. Apparently I know nothing but if Diamond Dallas Page says it's so then it must be :rolleyes:

:lol: That is PRICELESS!!! HA!

Well, I am ready to jump back into my plan! My gym membership is taken care of, I enjoyed 3 farewell beers last night and I have everything planned out!

I will exercise 30-60 minutes each day, minimum!

I will teach 4 yoga classes weekly and take an additional 2 on top of that, just for me!

I will drink a gallon of water daily!

I will NOT eat after dark!

I will journal everything I eat!

I will stay between 1500-2000 calories daily!

I will enjoy this body, as it is, today and enjoy what I can make of my body with consistent efforts, everyday!

:D

AngelleNoire
01-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Well apparently getting a job...not that great for the waistline. Who knew!? Well fortunately I have just been permenantly hired in so that worry of not being hired is off my shoulders. Course then I looked in the mirror and realized I was not looking the way I'd hoped. Stress eating is a...well you know :o. In any case I am glad to be back as the pc problems didn't help me either.

So here are my goals for January:

1. 1-2 bottles of Fiji water every day
2. Take the stairs more (except when wearing my high heeled boots...no need to be a hero)
3. Do my tai-chi routine 2 times a week (got the dvd on sale after Xmas...gotta love a bargain)
4. Aim for around 4-5 lbs lost this month.

Wanttolossalot
01-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Hope everyone had a great holiday season! I did not do to badly over the holidays as I thought I would have. I do however, need to get back on track again. I hope to lose another 5 lbs this month.
Not too much happening in my life right now that is terribly exciting except I finally paid off my car, :carrot: and am excited by that. Well, gotta go for now, but will keep in touch.
Hugs to all!:hug:
Virginia

Tani
01-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Hmmmm I was hit and miss with my goals for January. My calories were fine, I seemed to have settled on a good maintenance number as I've managed to stay at 137 for three weeks :carrot: I kept up fairly well on my established exercise routines, except for the week I was sick.

But I totally fell down on the added strength training. I did it exactly once :o It was a combination of sickness and working 55 hour weeks that did me in I think.

I'm going to get back on the strength wagon tonight though, in between the Over Time work I bring home.

mauvaisroux
01-31-2006, 10:52 AM
I have once again stayed the same. Its' getting kind of frustrating but I guess its better than gaining :)

hannah_phi
01-31-2006, 07:25 PM
For once I actually met my goal! :carrot: I think it was the combination of weight traning and cardio + setting higher caloric limits, but shooting for lower caloric intake. Somehow feeling as if I could have more if I needed/wanted to allowed me to have less. Strange how that works.

mauvaisroux
02-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Way to go Hannah! :bravo:

I just set up the February challenge sticky if anyone is interested in joining in :)

ajandpj99
02-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Just wanted to congratulate everyone that made their goals or are at least making the effort to!:hug:

I made mine - I dont know how - must be my new home design obsession, too busy drawing to eat. We did weight training twice.

Anyway - dont care how it happened as long as it happens and stays lost.:carrot: