Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-14-2005, 07:36 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Subway!

Anyone else love these subs?

Today I had the sweet onion chicken teriyaki. I usually get the footlong and have half of it one day and the other half the next. I have to balance everything, though, to make up for the calories. And the bread! Since I'm having my other half for lunch tomorrow, breakfast will be just some egg whites.

Anyway, what's your favorite Subway sub? The chicken teriyaki is my favorite, obviously, but I also like the club. And when I'm feeling particularly brave, I get the seafood and crab.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #2  

Subway is one of my favorites! I just tried one of their wraps, and it was awesome! I had the turkey breast wrap with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and bell peppers. Yum!
AzChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Mmm their baby spinach and chicken salad is delish too! I love that I can get it prepared exactly as I like it (lots of veggies plus a sprinkle of parm cheese & vinegar works for me!)
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:13 PM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzbabe
Mmm their baby spinach and chicken salad is delish too! I love that I can get it prepared exactly as I like it (lots of veggies plus a sprinkle of parm cheese & vinegar works for me!)
What exactly do they put in those chicken and spinach salads to make them so fattening, anyway? I used to get those until I found out how many calories and how much fat was in them and I can't figure for the life of me where it comes from.

I hate to be a killjoy, but the values for that salad are as follows and these values do NOT include dressing.

Subway Grilled Chix and Baby Spinach Salad

Calories: 420
Calories from fat: 240
Total fat: 26 grams
Saturated fat: 10 grams
Cholesterol: 215 mg
Sodium: 970 mg

Where in the heck are the calories coming from???

I figure I can make myself a baby spinach and grilled chicken salad at home for half the calories. If I remember correctly, they put bacon and cheese on them. So if you cut the bacon and cheese, you're probably cutting the calories by more than half
Old 12-14-2005, 09:13 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzChef
Subway is one of my favorites! I just tried one of their wraps, and it was awesome! I had the turkey breast wrap with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and bell peppers. Yum!
I haven't had their wraps yet
Old 12-15-2005, 05:02 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I had a wicked toasted veggie delite with bacon the other day! I love asking for a veggie delite with bacon! It's sooooo yummy! I do think subway's a "healthy" option eating out wise. If you have a veggie delite with cheese, it's around 300 cals, not bad at all! Plus you can find all their nutrition info on their website!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
What exactly do they put in those chicken and spinach salads to make them so fattening, anyway? I used to get those until I found out how many calories and how much fat was in them and I can't figure for the life of me where it comes from.

I hate to be a killjoy, but the values for that salad are as follows and these values do NOT include dressing.

Subway Grilled Chix and Baby Spinach Salad

Calories: 420
Calories from fat: 240
Total fat: 26 grams
Saturated fat: 10 grams
Cholesterol: 215 mg
Sodium: 970 mg

Where in the heck are the calories coming from???

I figure I can make myself a baby spinach and grilled chicken salad at home for half the calories. If I remember correctly, they put bacon and cheese on them. So if you cut the bacon and cheese, you're probably cutting the calories by more than half
Not sure where you get your nutitional values from but that MUST include dressing because according to Subway's website the salad includes 140 calories and 3 grams of fat just prepared regular. There is no bacon or cheese on this salad. Maybe you are thinking of a different one? Either case the salad is definitely workable into a healthy diet and when you load up on veggies and sub vinegar for dressing you get tons of nutrients too.

On the other hand the sweet onion chicken teriyaki is 380 calories but yummy too I agree.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:27 AM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzbabe
Not sure where you get your nutitional values from but that MUST include dressing because according to Subway's website the salad includes 140 calories and 3 grams of fat just prepared regular. There is no bacon or cheese on this salad. Maybe you are thinking of a different one? Either case the salad is definitely workable into a healthy diet and when you load up on veggies and sub vinegar for dressing you get tons of nutrients too.

On the other hand the sweet onion chicken teriyaki is 380 calories but yummy too I agree.
Hmm, maybe you're right, but I got that information off of my Subway nutrition guide I keep here at my desk. Maybe it's an old menu and they've changed the salad since then. But that's what it says, I swear!

380 calories is expected for a sub. But I don't think I'd eat a salad that had over that, lol.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:31 AM   #9  
LLV

Yep, you're right, here's the info calorie king has. Wow! That's quite a difference from what it says in the nutrition guide I have. 420 calories, grilled chicken and baby spinach salad and it says values do not include salad dressing.

Hmmmmm... weird.

Calories 140 ( Kilojoules 585 )
% Daily
Value*
Total Fat 3 g 5%
Saturated Fat 1 g 5%
Cholesterol 50 mg 17%
Sodium 450 mg 19%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g 4%
Dietary Fiber 4 g 16%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 20 g
Calcium 100 mg
Old 12-15-2005, 12:06 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
Yep, you're right, here's the info calorie king has. Wow! That's quite a difference from what it says in the nutrition guide I have. 420 calories, grilled chicken and baby spinach salad and it says values do not include salad dressing.
Printed guides can go out of date so quickly, and even things like Calorie King can be out of date for restaurant foods. I check directly on the Subway website.

The sweet onion chicken teriyaki is my favorite, too, and I get it on the honey oat bread (which adds a few more calories, since their nutrition infor is only for Italian or wheat bread). By my calculation, it's about 900 calories for the entire 12" sub (I don't get cheese, just the chicken, lettuce, bread, and sweet onion sauce), so 450 for half (but honestly, I eat the whole thing for dinner once a week and just skimp on calories earlier in the day--it's all about planning ).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #11  
Egy Kis Lany

*thinks about a 12-inch subway sandwich, regardless of type*

*drools*
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:19 PM   #12  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

I love their southwest cheese steak, but I admit I'm bad -- I get it on italian with just cheese, steak, and sauce, no veggies -- but it keeps me full forever!
FL_Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
Printed guides can go out of date so quickly, and even things like Calorie King can be out of date for restaurant foods. I check directly on the Subway website.

The sweet onion chicken teriyaki is my favorite, too, and I get it on the honey oat bread (which adds a few more calories, since their nutrition infor is only for Italian or wheat bread). By my calculation, it's about 900 calories for the entire 12" sub (I don't get cheese, just the chicken, lettuce, bread, and sweet onion sauce), so 450 for half (but honestly, I eat the whole thing for dinner once a week and just skimp on calories earlier in the day--it's all about planning ).
I always get the honey oat bread as well. That or the wheat. And I'm like you, I never get cheese on any of my Subway subs. And the only dressing I ask for, regardless of the type of sub, is the fat-free sweet onion sauce. That stuff is awesome, they need to bottle it and sell it.

But even on the clubs or whatever other sub I may get from there, the sweet onion sauce is the only one I ask for. I never get Italian dressing or any other sauces.

Their wheat bread is 200 calories (for a 6") and the honey oat is 250. So a footlong on honey oat would be about 840 calories for the chicken teriyaki
Old 12-15-2005, 12:31 PM   #14  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Chickie
I love their southwest cheese steak, but I admit I'm bad -- I get it on italian with just cheese, steak, and sauce, no veggies -- but it keeps me full forever!
I don't have the guts to order something like that, lol!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:44 PM   #15  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
Their wheat bread is 200 calories (for a 6") and the honey oat is 250. So a footlong on honey oat would be about 840 calories for the chicken teriyaki
It says that sauces and condiments are not included in the totals [6" SOCT sub on wheat = 380 cals x 2 = 760 cals +100 (for the bread; 50 additional cals per 6") = 860 cals...then then sweet onion sauce is 40 cals per 1.5 tablespoons, but you know they put more than that on there when they just start squeezin' the bottle all over the place ). All of that info is per their website, so maybe Calorie King is different. It's still not an exact art, though, since the cals on Subway's site include tomatoes, pickles, onions, green peppers, and olives, none of which I actually get

Man, I wish we could just stick any food we eat into a magical machine that would give us an exact, tailored calorie amount for everything we eat! 50 or 100 calories here or there doesn't seem like much, and it's not when you're only looking at one day, but over time, it all adds up. I think that's why I tend to err on the side of caution and over-estimate my calories for anything that doesn't come with an exact label Better yet, forget the magical calorie machine--I'll take the time machine so I don't end up in this position to begin with!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote