South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/172/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Still not losing and getting discouraged

I'm now on phase 2 and liking this a lot better than phase 1, but I have yet to lose 1 lb! This is really discouraging and I think I need to make an appointment with my Dr. Something doesn't feel right.

I'm eating veggies like crazy, drinking water and not really cheating. In fact I had one cookie for pms and thats it. It was so sweet that I couldn't eat it all! I don't have much of an appetite either. HEre's a normal day:

Breakfast: scrambled egg sub with sausage made from turkey breast meat and 1 cup of mixed berries, coffee.
Lunch: Large salad with extra veggies, grilled chicken and ranch dressing.
Snack: 4 oz of sf yogurt or fruit and cheese
Dinner: Two veggies (steamed spinach or cabbage) with green beans or broccoli and a lean meat like chicken breast.

I've reread the book twice and am getting discouraged. I've stuck with it because the food is great!

I've taken my measurements as well and I'm not losing inches at all.

So its off to the dr. I'm on blood pressure meds and allergy meds, but that's it for the prescription dept. Not sure what she needs to test me for.

Any clues?

amy
Old 05-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

So sorry you are discouraged!

Do you mean you didn't lose anything, even on Phase I? I checked all your old posts and didn't get a clue.

It could be your meds. Please do make that doctor appointment and let us know what he/she says.

You might also run a day's food through www.fitday.com to see if you are eating enough. If you go below 1200 calories, your body can go into starvation mode and hang onto its resources.

The other chicks may peck in with more insight.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:31 AM   #3  

I've been keeping and eye on fitday and I'm staying between 1200-1300 per day. I was on phase 1 for three weeks, not one ounce lost nor 1 inch. I went ahead to phase 2 and still no weight lost.

I'll stick with the diet because its a healthy way to eat, but I really need to lose the weight because of high blood pressure.

amy
Old 05-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

You don't mention how tall you are and how much you weigh. Could it be possible that you don't need to lose any weight?

The height/weight tables are only guidelines. I know that for my height I should weigh between 95-110 pounds. That is an impossible weight for me to try to achieve because of my general build, I'm very muscular with medium to large bones.

Let us know what the doctor says.
Sarah
Old 05-04-2005, 09:50 AM   #5  

How much do you need to lose? Where are you at now and how tall are you? How much have you lost so far?

I have lost quite a bit and have gotten off my diuretic and my beta blocker and been able to cut my ACE inhibitor down to a quarter dosage but I still have not totally gotten off my meds. My doctor said you normally have to lose quite a bit before it helps on the blood pressure. She also attributed a lot of my success with blood pressure to the increase in exercise. I try to get about 5 hours of exercise a week in with at least a couple of hours of cardio. Also, keep in mind that I have been doing this almost a year. I have kept in constant touch with my doctor and visited her about every 2 months so she could adjust my meds as needed. I actually had a problem because as I got healthier, the beta blocker lowered my heart rate so low that my blood pressure was increased. You will want to keep a daily check on your blood pressure and heart rate.

Your menu looks great (although I still usually have a morning snack) so the key may be to add exercise.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #6  
laura

I can really feel for you. I haven't had very much of a weight loss either. I've been on Phase II for 1 1/2 weeks. Initially on Phase II I lost 3 pounds bringing my total weight loss to 7 pounds, but I gained those 3 back so now I'm only down 4 pounds after 3 1/2 weeks of dieting. Gaining weight while on a diet? How discouraging!!! I plan on giving this thing a couple of months before I give up though. If nothing else, I'm more concious of the food I consume when I follow a plan such as this. I did talk to my doctor about it just a couple of days ago. She thinks I may have an ovarian cyst thats causing swelling and a gain of water weight. The point is that there may very well be something else going on. Especially if your taking medication. I think you're smart to get it checked out. God luck, I hope both of our bodies catch up with our mouths very soon.
Laura
Old 05-04-2005, 11:02 AM   #7  

Looks like you are doing everything right. I hope your doctor is able to figure out what the hold up is and get things on track. Hugs for you
Old 05-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #8  

I'm so glad I have you guys!
amy
Old 05-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Amy, I'm so sorry for the frustration! It does sound like you are doing a lot right, but honestly, I'd recommend that you eat more. If you aren't losing at all with that low amount, I bet your body is scared that you are starving. Try to up the amount to 1400 or so, or even a bit more. Feel free to experiment with different foods, different combos, different types of exercise, etc. You may need to exercise, if you aren't already, to get this weight off. You also need your morning snack...try to work that in. Make sure you are getting lots of nutritious veggies in your salad (see my veggie post for more info).

Let us know how the doctor visit goes!
Old 05-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #10  

Default Have you had your thyroid checked?

After I had my first child, I tried to lose weight and nothing worked. I went to a doctor to make sure things were okay and I discovered I was severely hypothyroid. I started taking Synthroid daily and now losing weight is not a problem, as long as I eat right, of course. Some other symptoms of hypothyroid are fatigue, hair loss and constipation.

Please keep us posted. Good luck to you.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:48 AM   #11  

All,

thanks for all the caring notes. I got my test results from the doctor today and have an underactive thyroid, just as I suspected. I start my meds. I'm also starting again at phase 1 to jump start things again.

I still expect weightloss to be slow, but I should see results now!

Thanks for all your support.

amy
Old 05-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lucky girl! (I would love to find a thyroid problem, as it would explain a lot of things!) I'm so very glad that you have a diagnosis!!! Can't wait to see your ticker sliding to the right!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:42 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm glad they found the problem. Thanks for letting us know. I hate it when people just disappear!
Closed Thread