Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #1  

Question Too Fat to be a bodybuilder but need some help

I have just gotten my home gym together and i am interested in using it to speed up my metabolism to assist in losing weight, and eventually to look toned. Does anyone have any suggestions on a website or book for beginners to reference, that give fact about different types of lifting etc?

Thanks
tattooedmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:26 PM   #2  
Warrior of Grace

Hi! I weigh 330 lbs and I am building my body from the inside out. I have been doing the Body for Life program and I'm in my 7th week. I have lost over 20 lbs and I'm getting stronger every week. Check out their website (bodyforlife.com). There are animated exercise demos that show you how they are done.

In my opinion, the BFL techniques are the best way to strike fear in the heart of a slow metabolism! Eating 5-6 small, balanced (protein and carb) meals a day and working out in some form every day has done wonders for me.

I'm sure you'll get some other great advice here.
Qadira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #3  

First, cut the negative self-speak. You are never to fat to be a bodybuilder. We all need to start somewhere and weight lifting is important to any weight loss and maintenance regime. I remember Susan Powter saying that you must tone and sculpt the muscle as you lose the fat so when the fat is gone the muscle looks fabulous. You are very smart to incorporate weights with your cardio and chaning your eating habits. Some say this is the winning 3 prong approach. I believe there are actually 4 and mindset is very important. You must believe in yourself and that you can make these changes to your lifestyle.

Whew, sorry but this is a sore point with me. The negative self speak has taken me years to overcome and I don't want to see other people caught in the same self defeating spiral.

I agree with Qadria that BFL is a great place to start. The most important part isto make sure you have perfect form before worrying about how much weight you should be using. Be sure to use a mirror or ask someone to spot you or hire a personal trainer to make sure you get this down. Perfect form will ensure against injury and that you continue the program. Good luck!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #4  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Hi tattooedmommy!
The best site I’ve found on women and weightlifting is Krista's on: http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
She writes about why and how we should lift weights, suggests workouts and give an overall excellent introduction into the world of weightlifting! She’s also very smart, funny and inspiring!
In my opinion, she has the best site out there – and I can’t recommend her warmly enough!
Good luck on the lifting!
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:48 AM   #5  

hi tattoedmommy,
I fully agree with mette ! I also find Krista's website the best!
good lifting luck,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #6  

I love Krista's web site so I highly recommend it as well.

As for books, the two best "beginner" books I've found are Strong Women Stay Slim and Lift Weights to Lose Weight by Kathy Smith. Kathy also has two videos by that name. When I started lifting at home I found it easier to follow a video than a book, although reading those books gave me a LOT of good information, not only about weight lifting but fitness and weight loss in general. At that time only the original LWTLW was available, but she has since come out with a volume 2 that's also great and very innovative.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #7  

Thank you everyone for the information!
tattooedmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:51 PM   #8  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I really like Getting Stronger by Bill Pearl. Oldie but goodie. Has a lot of exercises but not a lot of text. I take it to the gym every time I go to lift. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote