Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-23-2004, 11:11 AM   #1  
~ Berry Happy ~

Default Considering Lapband Procedure....

Hi all - my name is Kari, and I am not new here to 3FC. I've been coming here for quite some time, but quit over the last several months or so.

I am here, because lately I have been considering the lapband procedure to help assist me in losing weight. I have been on every diet known to man, and though I lose, keeping it off is the hardest. Even on a "good" food day, I gain.

I started dieting from April 2003 until about August 2003 and I lost about 50 lbs. After that, I went off my diet, but not completely. I was still watching what I was eating, and working out at a gym reguarly. Even then, I gained ALL the weight back plus more. I have not weighed myself recently, but I can only imagine that I am above 305 lbs. It is horrible.

I feel terrible about myself, and I am worried about my health. I suffer daily from chest pains. I get out of breath just walking around - and doing anything physical.

I just turned 22 years old, and I do not want to live my life like this anymore. I feel like a prisoner in my own body!

So I guess right now, I just want to start my research on this procedure.

Could anyone out there who has had, or will have the procedure, help me out by sharing any information that you may have? This was the first place that I thought to come to.

Thanks so much for any information that you can provide!

~ Kari ~
kari_berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:23 AM   #2  
Lap-Bander

Hi Kari!

I haven't been around here in a while either. Congratulations on researching the band! I'm 20 months out, and have had wonderful success - down 140lbs. I can't post links on here, since I'm not a frequent poster, but please feel free to click on my website link, and I'll send you a PM with some more information.

Alexis
scarletini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:35 AM   #3  
~ Berry Happy ~

Thanks so much! I will read the PM right now.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:03 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Kari,

I am not part of the WLS crowd but I just happened to see your post. No matter what you decide to do, I just wanted to let you know that there are a lot of people who have been or are where you are at. I invite you to come join the 100lb club which has been very useful for me in my weight loss journey. Take one moment, one hour and one day at a time and you can do it.

Last edited by nelie; 09-23-2004 at 05:05 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:58 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

kari.. so sorry to be late with this. i've been on a business trip.

i know you've tried many many diets and plans, and that you're researching this very carefully. the folks on the 100 pound club have lots of wonderful insight and advice that you can apply whether or not you decide on the surgery., but i know you were a regular poster there in the past. so i'm not telling you anything you don't know.

scarletini is a fabulous resource, and chickadee is doing great with it as well.. phil is too. do your research and ask lots of questions...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 08:34 PM   #6  
~ Berry Happy ~

Thanks so much for all of your replies. Everyone here at 3FC is so positive, and supportive of everything.

I've spent the last two days researching the lap band. Currently - this seems like a good option for me, but is obviously not something I will jump right into. It will take LOTS of time for me to research, and decide if this is what I really want.

Currently, I want to find out if my health insurance provider even covers this procedure. I worry about it - but I'm trying not to think about it too much.

Today I checked my BMI. It is up to 53.2 - horrible.

I've been trying to diet off an on for the last year since I quit my last program, but I just cannot seem to stick to it. It's so hard.

I will definatly keep hanging around 3FC - and even stop by again at the 100 lbs club. Everyone here has been wonderful to me in the past

Thanks so much again for the post. You are all quite motivating!

~ Kari ~
Old 09-25-2004, 09:27 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I wish you luck Kari. When I weighed 355 lbs, I had looked into WLS. My insurance company didn't cover lap band which was the only surgery I'd consider, but they did offer gastric bypass. I decided that it wasn't for me.

I wish you success in your efforts.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 11:25 PM   #8  
~ Berry Happy ~

Thanks for your reply nelie. Just a little bit ago I took some time and read the book for our insurance benefits.

I did find three different parts that stated that they do not cover any type of surgery for weight loss. So I think this might be out of the question for me.

I know some people will fight their insurance co's over it - but I'm not sure if I can or not.

I was thinking that when I decide if I want to do it or not, I could always find an insurance company that does cover it, and pay for a health insurance policy that way, and drop the one that I currently have.

I don't know if that would work or not - but I can see. This probably wouldn't happen for a year or so anyways - but it's worth looking into.

Thanks again!

~ Kari ~
Old 10-04-2004, 11:13 AM   #9  
Lap-Bander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_berry
I was thinking that when I decide if I want to do it or not, I could always find an insurance company that does cover it, and pay for a health insurance policy that way, and drop the one that I currently have.
That's what I did! I found out which insurance company people had the most success with for the Lap-Band, dropped my work insurance, got the new one, then dropped the new one and went back on my work insurance when they paid. Good luck, I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you!
scarletini is offline   Reply With Quote