Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-30-2004, 10:18 AM   #1  
Domestic Goddess

Default Made an appt. with my PCP

I can't get in until the 1st of Nov. but that's o.k. I really do want blood work done because I have no idea what any of my levels are...YIKES!!

On Monday I'm going to join WW. I figure that if it's not something that the new insurance will approve of as being medically supervised then I'll switch to what they want me to do. For now that's what I'm going to do. I figure it will show that my intentions are good.

As far as the insurance goes. DH just found out yesterday that they are going to have United HealthCare. We will be able to pick from differnet levels of coverage. So for now that's all we know.

I've been visiting several differnt message boards and trying to gather info on everything. Honestly, the LapBand interests me. But I don't think you could ever do too much research on something like this so I'm taking my time reading and reading.

Maybe tomorrow when I go to the library I'll check out some books and see what I can find.

Has anyone here on this board had experience with United HealthCare? Let me know how there were to deal with.

Blessings to everyone I'm off to give a math test to DS#2. Wish him luck the poor kid get so nervous about tests. I always tell him it's not a big deal and that if he doesn't do well that we will cover the material again re-test. But, I know he want's to do well the first time......
ChrissyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:37 AM   #2  

Hi Chrissy,
I love United Healthcare! I had my lapband surgery in April and they covered it. They're one of the best insurance companies for covering lapbands. Also, I didn't have to prove any medically supervised diet program. The requirements were simply a BMI of 40 or over and having a couple co-morbidities didn't hurt. I switched to them specifically because they were WLS friendly. Your husband should be getting information before you sign up (mine did) and I called the 800 number and asked all kinds of questions before we signed on. If they tell you WLS is excluded unless deemed medically necessary, usually the doc can provide info on why you need it and they will cover.
Good luck!
Chickadee

p.s. I LOVE my lapband. I'm always around if you want to ask questions about it.
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:10 PM   #3  
Domestic Goddess

Thanks for the encouraging news! I'm going to go over their plan with a fine tooth comb and look for any loops holes that I can find.

The only thing that I'm wondering about is what if the insurace has an exclusion from the employer for WLS. Do I go to my DH's corporate office and ask them for an exception?

I find it very frustrating that we pay part of the premium for the coverage but they get to tell us what they will and will not do YUCK!!

The thought of being a private pay has even crossed my mind. I could very easily work a few hours a month to make a loan payment. A few months back someone on the board suggested that to me and I thought being a private pay was CRAZY but the more I think about it the more it does make sence. If I can do something to save my life does it really matter who pays for it...the ins. co or ME!! I know alot of surgeons have financing available and it's not out of the question. It would definately be out of the question if I wouldn't go back to work but I get paid well for the work that I do. I just have to be very careful with my back (herniated disc) !!

I don't know how DH would feel about being a private pay. He knows how much my weights starting to bother me he's really hopeful that the insurace will pick up some if not all of the bill.

I have heard good things about United HealthCare. So until I get these new benefits I'll continue to pray and wait.

Blessings to all,

Chrissy
ChrissyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:37 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

yayyyyy!!!!!!! this is all wonderful news, chrissy. full of hope and possibilities.

as for being self pay - it's a tax deduction!!! not that i'm suggesting for a minute that this is the way to go, but it's a thought.

however, i think you'll be just fine.

keep us posted!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:06 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jiffy, just curious does that mean plastic surgery (to remove excess skin) is also a tax deduction? I was thinking about saving up for that because I know I am going to get to my goal weight I know a lot of insurance companies cover plastic surgery if you get WLS but are less willing if you do it on your own, which I think is crap, oh well. I like to plan and I know I'll have some excess skin since I've been overweight all my life and I have no problem at the idea of dishing out the dough but it would be a nice thought if it was at least tax deductible.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:28 PM   #6  

Default Tax Deduction

Nelie

Sorry to burst your bubble, but plastic surgery is not tax deductable. I wish it was, I just had a lower body lift and the tax deduction would be great.

Even thought I paid for it, it is worth it, I cannot get over seeing a flat tummy and a cute belly button. Am still stiff and uncomfortable (just had surgery on Sept 13), but it is worth it.

Chris
tucsonchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:41 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh well that sucks. I do still plan on getting it when I get to my goal weight. In general, I don't agree with plastic surgery because most of the people that get it, don't need it. I wouldn't ever get something trivial done like my nose but I do plan to get it done on my body and be proud of it
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:23 AM   #8  
Lap-Bander

United Healthcare is what I switched to when I decided to get the Lap-Band surgery. They were great. I switched to them because they were the most Lap-Band friendly insurance I could find. It was a personal plan though, so do make sure hubby's employer doesn't have any WLS exclusions.

Nelie, not true about the plastic surgery thing... I was approved for an abdominoplasty with my current insurance (NOT the insurance I used to cover the band) and WLS was never even mentioned. What was mentioned was the rashes under the pannus, in the belly button and on the thighs, the many days I've had to take off from work due to rashes, sores and the odor, and back and hip pain. You don't need to have excess skin from *WLS*, you need to be able to show that you have excess skin that causes chronic medical problems, and decreases your mobility.
scarletini is offline   Reply With Quote