Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Diet soft drinks

View Full Version : Diet soft drinks

mauvaisroux
08-08-2004, 09:47 PM
I found this really good cola at Costco - and I don't really do softdrinks, diet or otherwise...so it must be good! :lol:

It is called Kirkland Signature diet cola - to me it tastes better than Diet Coke and it was a lot cheaper too. It also came in regular cola.

Jheddara
09-07-2004, 08:02 AM
I got "suckered" into trying a new 7-Up product this weekend. It's called 7-Up Plus. And it is AMAZING! It's a blend of 7-Up and fruit juice, sweetened with Splenda (and, admittedly, another sweetener I didn't recognize). It also has calcium and Vitamin C added to it...

I generally dislike 7-Up (I'm allergic to caffeine so I get really sick of lemon-lime pop), but this stuff is really good...

-- Jhed

lizzbabe
02-18-2005, 10:22 AM
My boyfriend brought home the 7-Up plus just last night and I tried it. NOT BAD!! I still wouldn't consider it healthy but it's only got like 10 calories in the can.

Cindy_Gail
04-05-2005, 03:54 PM
I don't drink a lot of soda but I know that if I do I need to be drinking diet soda. I have never been able to tolerate diet Coke or diet Pepsi but yesterday I tried a diet Dr. Pepper and found it to be pretty good!

Gypsydancer
04-06-2005, 09:02 AM
I am addicted to Diet Pepsi Vanilla. I have it whenever a craving for sweets hits.

mauvaisroux
04-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I find diet sprite not too bad but it does have an aftertaste of sweetener.

The worst diet drink ever is diet gingerale of any kind - yechh!!!!! :p

jennie934
04-07-2005, 03:37 PM
diet dr pepper really does taste just like the regular dr pepper. I wish they would share their secret. I've heard it has prune juice in it and more caffine than anything else. but I'm still addicted to diet coke. I'm trying to ween myself off of it with iced tea but some times I just need a diet coke.

AmberM
04-07-2005, 03:59 PM
I am so happy that I'm not the only one addicted to Diet Vanilla Pepsi!!! I HATE diet sodas. I mean HATE. I'm diabetic and that coupled with weight loss goals makes it impossible for me to drink regular soda and diet is so awful most of the time. Diet Vanilla is my ONLY exception. I have no problem drinking it and love the flavor. The vanilla completely covers the diet aftertaste. You can't even tell it's a diet drink in my opinion.

AmberM

2big4mybritches
04-11-2005, 01:08 PM
I got "suckered" into trying a new 7-Up product this weekend. It's called 7-Up Plus. And it is AMAZING! It's a blend of 7-Up and fruit juice, sweetened with Splenda (and, admittedly, another sweetener I didn't recognize). It also has calcium and Vitamin C added to it...

I generally dislike 7-Up (I'm allergic to caffeine so I get really sick of lemon-lime pop), but this stuff is really good...

-- Jhed

I called 7up about that "unknown" sweetener and they don't have any information on it and the lady AND her manager haven't a clue about it's origen. Kinda scary huh? BTW,, I love it too! LOL

2frustrated
04-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Oooh Diet DR PEPPER! It rocks! I also like Fanta Lite, and diet Sprite isn't bad. But yes the definite DIET drink is Diet Vanilla coke!

I gave up coke of all kinds at the beginning of this year (with a couple of exceptions, when there was nothing else diet or was the only thing they had) and I've hardly noticed, I try to drink water or sully skimmed milk instead.

FrouFrou
04-14-2005, 01:30 PM
I too am addicted to Diet Coke! Drink waaaay too much sometimes. I tried the 7UP and didn't care for that at all. It tasted like flavored seltzer water. I've also tried some of those flavored waters-yuck!

Ooops! sorry for butting in on your thread. Thought it was the food thread :^:

Flower Fan 86
04-14-2005, 02:31 PM
How can they not know what is in the 7up?

Love Coke, but I can't have Nutrasweet. So I try to stay away from pop.

Summerrain
04-18-2005, 08:50 PM
I am currently on slim4life and before the program i was a devoted diet dr pepper fan. untill i learn that the carmel color in all dark sodas (even diet cola ext) slows weight loss!!!! I was so sad, but diet sprite and other clear diet sodas are fine :D, in maderation of course ;)

DixieAmazon
04-19-2005, 02:59 PM
I love diet Coke w/lime and Fresca. Diet Rite has some good fruit flavors.

cbeckett
04-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Has anyone tried the pepsi one with splenda? I just heard about it and am dying to try it I HATE diet sodas because of the nutrsweet aftertaste. And YES i can taste it.
cyndie

karen joy
04-25-2005, 12:17 PM
;) Here is a review of diet drinks I have a few: but let me start by saying I hate Diet soda but I am finding some good ones:
1. Cherry Vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper-AWESOME :D
2. Fresca- crisp and refreshing :angel:
3. Minute Maid Light Limonade- 15 calories a serving and really tasty :^:

2frustrated
04-29-2005, 08:02 AM
I am currently wolfing a can of DIET DR PEPPER, I've noticed they've brought out DR PEPPER Z which I guess is just the same, but the shop had run out!

I bought it to stave off the munchies, but it didn't help cos I bought a Dime bar at the same time! :rofl: Only 155 cals in the Dime bar though, so a reasonable treat!

kclay61
04-29-2005, 08:11 AM
*butting in*
Fresca is awesome but it has a TON of sodium in it, which is horrible for water retention, so I try to stay clear of it.

I don't like Splenda - I've been away from sugar, since '92, and hate anything sweet now. I accidentally put a pack of Splenda in my tea, once, and just about threw up when I took a sip. ARG!

I prefer Diet Pepper over everything but can just about drink anything diet. I think Diet Cheerwine (something they sell in the Carolina's) is my favorite "once in a while" drink. It's different.

So I drink water, unsweet tea or a diet drink. LOL when I go to a restaurant I just tell them "diet whatever" since I don't know if they have Pepsi or Coke.

MrsJim
05-17-2005, 07:42 AM
I am currently on slim4life and before the program i was a devoted diet dr pepper fan. untill i learn that the carmel color in all dark sodas (even diet cola ext) slows weight loss!!!! I was so sad, but diet sprite and other clear diet sodas are fine :D, in maderation of course ;)

Link please...since caramel coloring is in a LOT of foods (not just colas) and moreover has been in use for over a century, I wouldn't worry too much about it, personally.

Bensmommy
05-18-2005, 08:41 AM
My husband just tried the new Diet Coke w/ Splenda and really likes it because it tastes like regular Coke. My personal favorite is Diet A&W Root Beer - no caffiene :)

DragonflyRivers
05-23-2005, 08:11 PM
Has anyone tried the pepsi one with splenda?

I LOVE Diet Pepsi w/ Splenda. To me, it tastes like the regular cola. I could never get used to diet sodas of any kind though Diet Dr. Pepper and Barq's Diet Root Beer are the best non-Splenda diet sodas.

The previous version of Pepsi One was one of the better diet sodas as well, but the new version is MUCH BETTER.

I saw that Diet Coke has a version now w/ Splenda, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

kaplods
05-24-2005, 07:23 PM
I've tried the Coke with Splenda, but I haven't seen the Pepsi yet. Can't wait because I prefer Pepsi. Pepsi with lime is a nice change, but I am absolutely addicted to Mountain Dew Code Red. I had to go "off" of it for a couple weeks (where I drank only Walmart's Crystal Light clones - very good by the way. I think they dissolve better than Crystal Light).

I bought a case of Code Red yesterday, and am limiting myself to one can a day during the week and one or two on the weekends (We were going through two cases per week before). I love cherry flavor though and I also love Wild Cherry Pepsi, Cherry Coke, and Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper. I think the cherry flavor masks the diet taste, especially in the Code Red and the Wild Cherry Pepsi).

Uh oh, getting a craving, but since I had my can today, I'll get some lemonade. I found a recipe in a Joanne Lund Healthy Exchanges cookbook for "old fashioned lemonade." It doesn't taste diet to me either, and is so much better than plain Crystal Light.

It does sound a bit weird though (try it at least once though because it is wonderful). You make 2 qts of your diet Lemonade as usual, but then in a blender or food processor you grind 1/8 - 1/3 lemon (peels and seed and all) with a little of the lemonade until it's liquified. Then you pour it back into the pitcher.

I buy several lemons and puree them with a little lemonade all at once, and then put the pureed fruit in ice cube trays and freeze. That way, I don't have to mess with the food processor every time I make lemonade. When I make the lemonade, I put the powedered drink mix in the pitcher, add just a little hot water (dissolves the podwe better). Stir it up and add ice cubes equal to about 1/4 of a lemon. Add a little more hot water, just to cover the ice cubes. And stir to get the ice cubes starting to melt. I then add cold water to fill the pitcher.

spud
05-27-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm also a big fan of Diet Code Red, it's probably my favorite diet soda, but it's sometimes hard to find around here in Seattle. My latest favorite diet drink is the Diet Pepsi Slurpee from 7-11, which uses this weird sweetner called "tagatose" from this company called "Spherix". I don't taste much of a strange aftertaste at all. I used to be a big fan of the Coke flavored slurpees, and the Diet Pepsi ones taste nearly as good.

spud

dakotamidnight
05-27-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm s huge diet soda fan..since my folks are diabetic i was raised drinking diet.

I can't stand the splenda one though....tastes like "real" pop! I'm so used to drinking diet that I can taste the difference, and sugared soda doesn't taste as good.

AngelleNoire
05-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Okay I started drinking diet soda around the first of the year and I am addicted to diet coke and diet cherry coke. So now apparently I have to try all these other ones lol. I used to drink Fresca now I can take or leave it but since I am a firm Coke junkie (that sounds so bad lol) I have to have coke no matter what. What's everyone think of Crystal Light I've never tried it but I thought of buying some of those little packet deals because I usually am drinking bottled water and I figured it would be a good change of flavors and keep me drinking water.

kaplods
05-28-2005, 09:20 AM
I sure wish we had 7-11 around here, I love slushie drinks.

Crystal Light is good, but Walmart's are much better. They come in most of the same flavors and a couple never seen in Crystal Light (cherry, peach and grape). Walmart also has the little single serving packs that you pour into water bottles. Walmart also has a 2 qt drink bottle with a handle and squirt top, so I can make the whole tub and drink it all day.

Musicgal
05-31-2005, 08:51 PM
Spud, I just discovered those Diet Pepsi Slurpi's (spelling?) too at 7-11! For me it's a real treat. Do they have the same amount of calories as a normal Diet Pepsi? It's like a treat that I love and I can have it if it's o calories and no real sugar.

spud
06-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Heya Musicqal, I'm pretty sure they have some calories, I think there is some rule that if your product has 5 or less calories per servings you can *say* that it has zero calories. When I read about the sweetner in the Diet Pepsi slurpee they did say that it did have some calories, but much less than sugar...

Anyway, I love them too, but I have learned to stay away from the huge slurpee containers, I find that that trying to drink a large one will make my stomach pretty rumbly, and sometimes it will kinda even hurt...

spud

Meg
06-03-2005, 08:03 PM
The Diet Pepsi slurpees aren't bad - 7 calories per 12 oz - but calories in the Crystal Lite ones blow me away:

Crystal Light Raspberry Ice Slurpee
40 oz Slurpee - 170 cal/0 g fat/38 g carbs
28 oz Slurpee - 120 cal/0 g fat/26 g carbs
22 oz Slurpee - 90 cal/0 g fat/21 g carbs
12 oz Slurpee - 50 cal/0 g fat/11 g carbs

AngelleNoire
06-05-2005, 04:29 AM
Okies I tried Crystal Light in those on-the-go packets. OMG Yum! I also tried Diet Coke with Splenda. Big Yum! (I have to have a little Coke everyday or I get cranky). I also really like Aquafina sparkling water. Which if you don't like plain soda water it does come in berry and lemon-lime.

brandyns_moom
06-17-2005, 11:27 AM
I just had to put my two cents in. :D

I can't stand diet cola. I'm very picky with my soda and if it's watered down, slightly flat, or diet I won't drink it. But I've just got to have cola at least once a day. (I crave it and that's one thing I just have a really tough time fighting.) Anyway, I recently tried the Diet Coke with Splenda and I loved it. It doesn't taste like coke, but it doesn't taste diet either. Have any of you been to Mexico and drank coke there? There's a slight difference in taste. That's what Diet Coke w/ Splenda tastes like.

A couple of days ago, however, I found Coke Zero! :D I just absolutely love it!!! It tastes just like regular cola. My husband says there's a slight difference, but I can't taste it. It's probably as much of a difference as there is between pepsi and coke or any other cola. I'm definitely hooked.

Christine :moo:

flower
06-19-2005, 03:59 PM
It is good. It has the spicy coke flavor that was missing from the other diet cokes.

NowOrNever!
12-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Wow--nobody has mentioned this yet...Canfield Diet CHOCOLATE soda!

I LOVED this stuff, but haven't lived anywhere that carries it for over 10 years. It *is* available online (not cheap because, you know, SHIPPING) and it *is* sweetened with aspartame, but as a treat, well, I might just order some from beveragesdirect.com It really DOES taste like chocolate.

Otherwise, I'm SO lucky because the place I work has a whole frig full of drinks and our new guy ordering keeps us stocked in a variety of diet flavors (diet coke, pepsi, dr. pepper, 7-up) as well as some natural juices including V-8.

sabriena
12-19-2005, 09:40 AM
I've tried Pepsi One before and to me it tastes like diet pepsi in a way. I didn't taste anything repulsive :P I also don't mind diet pepsi so that probably helps a bit :)

MrsJim
12-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Wow--nobody has mentioned this yet...Canfield Diet CHOCOLATE soda!

I LOVED this stuff, but haven't lived anywhere that carries it for over 10 years.

When you go to Yosemite next summer, if you have a chance to go to the Bay Area, swing by Draeger's - they carry it. ;)

(While Canfield's is good, I liked Shasta's Diet Chocolate Fudge soda better - don't know if they still make it - been YEARS (late 1970s), and there might have been a somewhat personal bias in my preference. ;) )

MrsJim
12-19-2005, 06:22 PM
I just had to put my two cents in. :D

I can't stand diet cola. I'm very picky with my soda and if it's watered down, slightly flat, or diet I won't drink it. But I've just got to have cola at least once a day. (I crave it and that's one thing I just have a really tough time fighting.) Anyway, I recently tried the Diet Coke with Splenda and I loved it. It doesn't taste like coke, but it doesn't taste diet either. Have any of you been to Mexico and drank coke there? There's a slight difference in taste. That's what Diet Coke w/ Splenda tastes like.

A couple of days ago, however, I found Coke Zero! :D I just absolutely love it!!! It tastes just like regular cola. My husband says there's a slight difference, but I can't taste it. It's probably as much of a difference as there is between pepsi and coke or any other cola. I'm definitely hooked.

Christine :moo:

I still prefer the old school Diet Coke w/o the splenda... go figure.

But Jim LOVES the Zero (we call it "Zed") so we buy a 12 pack of each!

NowOrNever!
12-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Hey MrsJim--actually the Raley's in Turlock (where my family lives) carries the canfields. Now...if I fly, that'll be a challenge. But if I get a new car by then (a project I'm workin' on--depends on the bonus for this year), I'll drive and will DEFINITELY stock up. Good idea :) ! I don't remember the Shasta version. My grandpa got us all started on Canfields in the 80s.

MrsJim
12-19-2005, 11:28 PM
I don't remember the Shasta version. My grandpa got us all started on Canfields in the 80s.

Well it WAS a long time ago...here's what the can looked like, back in the 70's -

http://www.canconnection.com/images/shastacans/tabs/H/P1010671_small.JPG

my dad's formula (she said with a bit of pride in her voice...).

Here's another can that brings back memories - another one (of many) of Dad's concoctions:

http://www.canconnection.com/images/shastacans/tabs/H/P1010525_small1.JPG

NowOrNever!
12-19-2005, 11:59 PM
I've never seen or heard of the red apple! OK, ok,....did your dad do TIKI PUNCH? It was SO hard to find diet for that. That was my favorite! And I *do* remember the 70s.....and most of the 60s....

MrsJim
12-20-2005, 11:38 AM
I've never seen or heard of the red apple! OK, ok,....did your dad do TIKI PUNCH? It was SO hard to find diet for that. That was my favorite! And I *do* remember the 70s.....and most of the 60s....

I remember the Tiki Punch but not if my dad 'cooked up' the diet version or not. I haven't looked thru his 'cookbook' (old formula workbook) in some time now...maybe 8-9 years ago was the last time (before they moved).

A lot of those flavors turned out to be released regionally rather than nationally, Red Apple being one of them (I'm guessing that's why you can't find Canfield's in your area...it's like Moxie, which is pretty much impossible to find around here, but when we were in NYC we saw it in several places...not that I was LOOKING for it or anything, because as I recall from sampling it when I was a teenager, Moxie is an "acquired taste" to put it politely!)

PhysDom
12-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Ooooh!! They have Moxie in Maine (where I grew up and still love it wonderfully...)

It's definately 'aquired'... since I haven't tasted it in a while, the best I can liken it to is a non-alcohol and not-quite-as-nice Jaegermeister...

FishWoman
12-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Note to self: If ever in Maine, and see can/bottle of Moxie, do NOT drink!;)

Moon Jaguar
12-26-2005, 08:39 PM
I've never seen Moxie pop but I've seen antique bottles with the stuff still in it-- didn't it claim to be a nerve tonic or something like that? They used to sell Moxie bubble gum and it didn't taste like Jägermeister (I don't like that stuff either but was amused to see that it's sold on tap in some places).

I'm allergic to aspartame and never liked the taste. I used to love Fresca with saccharin for some reason. I tried Diet Rite Zero and I killed a whole six-pack of 20s one after another! The flavor kind of disappeared (like Pocky) and gave me way too much license to drink all the pop I wanted. Too much Coke helped me get into this weighty matter. But I'd like to try the Diet Coke with Splenda if it actually tastes like Mexican Coke (which is regularly imported and distributed by me).

Mina
12-30-2005, 08:56 AM
I like Coke Zero.

Also, my client at work always gives me diet Shasta sweetened with Splenda. It's good.

mauvaisroux
01-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Moxie sounds like this Scottish softdrink that is made of dandelion and burdock root - it is an aquired taste to put it best but I actually like it :lol: