Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:59 PM   #1  

Default Diabetic needing advice

I have struggled with my weight for MANY years..losing then gaining 100 lbs only 2x in my life...one with OA (eating no starch or sugar) and then again with Phen-Fen.
I am a full blown Type 2 diabetic now taking 2000 mg Glucophage and 1 Actos daily. My eating is out of control and I know I have to make changes Now if I want to live. My question....I would like to hear from other Type 2 diabetics who have had success with different diets. I am so confused....Is it Atkins, South Beach,..ADA????? I've done sooooo many and spent thousands on every diet book and program that comes out. I will appreciate any suggestions you many have.....Patty.
PStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:26 PM   #2  

Hi i sent a message to you let me know if you get it I will be glad to help if I can Jean
grandma57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:25 PM   #3  

Smile type 2 also

patty i amalso diabetic and struggling. i am having some sucess with atkins. pretty much like no sugar or white flour. it is going slowly but i have lost about 40 lbs. since oct. being diabetic makes it harder to loose. some of the meds make you gain. i know i gained almost 50 lbs. if i am strict i can get by with no meds, snd i was on 8ameryle and 1000 metform. talk to your doc. about your meds. good luck and let me know if i can help. pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:07 PM   #4  

I am type 2. Five years ago I had major surgery and for the first time in life I was uninterested in food for about ten days. When I started eating, I eat in small quantities. Ate oatmeal for breakfast, cup of soup with whole wheat crackers for lunch and Healthy Choice meals for dinner. If I wanted dessert I ate fruit. Drank V-8 juice instead of wine or soda, ate laughing cow light cheese cubes for appetizers or cottage cheese in with tomatoes or half a bell pepper. The secret: no butter or mayo. Kept them out of the house and off the sandwich if I ate out. Bought everything in individual small containers: frozen dinner; cottage cheese; cheese; v-8 juice. When I had recovered from my surgery, I started walking. I lost 85 lbs in about 7 months, felt great and was off meds. I'd like to say I kept it off, but a combination of stress factors and orthopedic injuries broght me back to my old habits and without the ability to exercise I've put it all back on and then some. Plus I started taking Actos (along with Glucophage and Glucotrol) earlier this year which has compounded the problem. The bottom line here is that you don't need a "name" diet to lose weight, what you need is support and motivation. Right now, I'm in the same boat as you. I know the right moves but can't seem to get motivated even though I know my life depends upon losing the weight.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 01:29 PM   #5  

I'm so glad there is finally some activity on this subject. I actually stopped checking this forum for thread having to do with diabetes. I also have typeII diabetes. When ever I find people with diabetes they seem to have it under control with little or no meds. Well, I unfortunately am not one of them. I have had type II for yrs. Struggling with the weight the entire time. My doc says it's definitely weight related and has even suggested gastric bypass surgery which I have thought about at length and don't want to do.

I was on 2500 mg of metformin and 5mg of glucotrol with fasting numbers still in the 200's. you can see my situation is quite critical. I started exercising regularly about 3 mos ago and without my docs permission I went of my cholesterol meds(they make me feel horrible) and went down to just 2 metformin(1000) at night, no glucotrol. I try to watch what I eat and the numbers reflect that. My fastings are still bad 180-200 but actually better than when I was on all the meds. I have lost about 14lbs which while doing the same thing on the meds I lost nothing. I am now trying low carb, very low. I need to get the numbers down. I feel like I am running out of time since my mom died at 49 from type II complicated illness(heart) and I'm already 44 and who knows how much damage I've done in the last 10 or so out of control yrs.

Maybe we could form our own little group and see what we can do to beat this dreaded disease. I have a long road ahead of me, but have to do it.
Hope to hear from you all. Thanks
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:51 PM   #6  

donna congrats on the 14 lbs. i realize how much work that took. you can do it. pat
Old 07-25-2004, 08:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Good Luck to you ladies dieting with diabetes!! I've heard it is a hard thing for a diabetic to diet. I don't know too much about it but I wish you guys luck
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 224/224/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Hi all,

I've had Type II diabetes since 1998 and PCOS since 1987. Between the two it has been made very clear to me that weight is an issue.

Right now I'm taking 1500mg of Glucophage daily along with 100mcg of synthroid. My endocrinologist recently wanted to put me on Avandia because I get high fasting blood sugars in the morning (high meaning 130-150) and sometimes I can't figure out why. But I'm really resistant to taking any more meds. So I'm hoping that following the Zone eating plan I can control the blood sugars better and reduce my meds.

When I followed the Zone once before I did pretty good with it. And my endocrinologist lowered the glucophage to 1000 mg. But I have a new endocrinologist who isn't as good at answering my questions and constantly seems to be pushing meds. Which just frustrates and ticks me off. My blood sugars usually range in the 110 to 130 range. This doesn't sound bad to me but my endo wants them below 110. I can appreciate her dedication but she's driving me nuts.

I look forward to seeing this thread get a bit more active.

Bee's Blessing,
Debbie
drlake66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:18 PM   #9  

Hello, I too having been watching the boards for type II information I have had good blood sugar #s using the GI diet it. Good Luck and I will be keeping my eye out for any new info tho share.

Melissa
melissa/dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:19 PM   #10  

o,k. i need advice how come my blood sugar goes up at nite. it was 101 when i went to bed [i did not ear after5] and this morning it was 169. anybody got an answer for this? pat
Old 08-04-2004, 09:15 PM   #11  

Cool

My former endocrinologist told me that my blood sugar is high at night because of the liver (I forgot the technical details). I notice mine has been higher than usual lately and I've been good! If anyone else has a better explanation, I'd sure like to know too.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:06 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperdoll
o,k. i need advice how come my blood sugar goes up at nite. it was 101 when i went to bed [i did not ear after5] and this morning it was 169. anybody got an answer for this? pat
Pat, I have the same problem and it drives me nuts. My doctor's only response is to increase my meds (to which I am completely opposed). On other diabetes boards I've heard it called the dawn phenomenon. If I understand it correctly (and I might not ) the liver dumps more glucose into the system at night because the body needs it. What I've seen recommended as a solution is to have a healthy midnight snack.

Here's a paragraph about it I found on WebMD:

Dawn phenomenon. The dawn phenomenon is the end result of a combination of natural body changes that occur during the sleep cycle and can be explained as follows. Between 3:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m., your body starts to increase the amounts of counterregulatory hormones (Growth hormone, cortisol and catecholamines). These hormones work against insulin's action to drop blood sugars. The increased release of these counterregulatory hormones, at a time when bedtime insulin is wearing out, results in an increase in blood sugars. These combined events cause your body's blood sugar levels to rise in the morning (at "dawn").
Old 08-05-2004, 09:37 PM   #13  

Cool

Thanks, Debbie, for that explanation. I couldn't remember what my doctor had said about the liver. While my blood sugar is high in the morning, by lunch time it goes back down. Still, I'm going to discuss this with the doc when I see him nex. I hope he doesn't increase meds. I'm swallowing enough pills already.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:58 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosettastone
Thanks, Debbie, for that explanation. I couldn't remember what my doctor had said about the liver. While my blood sugar is high in the morning, by lunch time it goes back down. Still, I'm going to discuss this with the doc when I see him nex. I hope he doesn't increase meds. I'm swallowing enough pills already.
No problem rosettastone. Glad to be of some help. But I know what you mean about meds. My endocrinologist wants to put me on Avandia and I'm resisting it kicking and screaming
Old 08-06-2004, 06:45 PM   #15  

thanks debbie for the info, makes me feel better to know i am not alone in this fight. pat