PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #1  
Rattie Lover

Exclamation 10 Foods You Should NEVER Eat...

I got this today from a friend of mine...WOW. Who would of thought 1 doughnut had 10 grams of fat?!

Read all 10 by clicking the link below...

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/10foods_bad.html
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:01 PM   #2  
banned

I agree with the baked goods, noodles and grains, but they have it all wrong with the alfredo sauce and the Grand slam. It's NOT the fat you need to worry about, it's the carbs! So what if the sauce has 1/3 stick of butter in it(my scallopini sauce has 3 sticks in the batch), or if the Grand slam has 50 g of fat and all that cholesterol? That's not unhealthy. The cornstarch/flour in the sauce and the pancakes and toast and potatoes with the Grand Slam are the bad part!
I wouldn't eat the Slim Slam if they gave it away free.
I get the Ultimate carb watch omelette. 3 eggs, sausage, bacon, peppers, onions and a side of sausage. And sometimes I spread butter on the omelette to up my fat intake, which I try to keep near 75%.
Quinadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:39 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there!

I've learned to take Nutrition Action with a grain of salt (ha ha!) because they are SO anti-fat there. But on the other hand, even though I do believe the carbs are the problem for alot of folks, I also believe there is such a thing as too much fat, and too much of the wrong fats. I think the low-carb programs say the same thing.

The important thing, IMHO, is to have a program and stick with it!

SW: 196
CW: Don't know yet--can't weigh for another 2 weeks
GW: 145
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 09:58 PM   #4  
banned

I try to keep my fat intake above 70%, with at least half of that as saturated and less than 5% carbs. I take in 2000-2500 calories a day.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:57 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

JayEll, I agree with you. Find a program that works for you and stick with it. Studies have shown that both low fat and low carb get weight off. But different strokes for different folks!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Yikes 70% fat? I would have a heart attack in 3 days of eating that diet I eat under 30 grams of fat a day!! How do you do it? Do you notice the changes in your skin and hair? I get greasy skin and hair when I eat higher percentages of fat, I dunno maybe its just me

Jenn your absolutely right, different strokes for different folks
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:58 PM   #7  
banned

My skin and hair are much better when I eat over 170 g fat a day(about 90g+ sat fat). On low fat, they were always dry and my hair fell out alot. Actually, high fat/low carb is far healthier for your heart than low fat. Low fat can can cause emotional and mental disorders, because your brain needs sat fat and cholesterol to function correctly.
A high fat/low carb diet will make your cholesterol go down and make you healthier. On low fat/high carb, my cholesterol was over 200 and my triglycerides were over 220. Now my totoal is 160 and my trig. are 46.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:09 AM   #8  
Swimming Mouse

I don't hear or see anybody saying that you shouldn't eat fat, just that a high fat diet may not be the best thing for all people. I have some students with significant seizure disorder who thrive on the ketogenic diet which is a very high, healthy fat diet: I'm jealous of the amount of shrimp these kids get to eat! I love shrimp!
Same for my diabetic students: they are on strict low-carb diets.
However, we also have students with heart conditions who can't have high-fat or fat anything.

Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote