Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-11-2004, 10:44 PM   #1  
Never Fry Bacon Nekkid!

Default WLS Recipes

I thought it would be nice if we had a thread where we could share some low carb, sugar free recipes that are compatible with our gastric bypass/lapband lifestyles.

I'll start with one I tried out over the weekend.

Lemon Ice Pie

1 box Sugar free Vanilla wafers or 1 low fat graham cracker crust
1 carton Carb Sense Vanilla Ice Cream , Softened
2 tubs of lemonade crystal light

Blend the Crystal Lite powder well with the ice cream ( use 1 tub at a time)
Pour into your "crust" and freeze overnight
Serve with light whipped cream.

This is really a great spring/summer refreshing pie!
DixieChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:50 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

dixie... this stuff sounds yummy.. do you have any nutritional info for it? you KNOW how we have to plan what we're eating....

and thanks for the thread.. great idea!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:06 AM   #3  
Never Fry Bacon Nekkid!

I don't have the particular nutritional guidelines, I just copy down all the info from my particular ingredients and divide by number of servings.
DixieChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:34 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

Default copying debkay's recipe

it calls for chicken, but I bet shrimp would work just as well.....right peachie

we had this for dinner tonight......yum, yum good

Saute of Chicken and Broccoli-Italian Style

2 cups broccoli florets
8 oounces penne
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup minced onion
12 oz skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into small dice
2 tablespoons white wine (I used a little more)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 to 1/2 cups tomato sauce (I used 1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
salt and freshley ground pepper (who are they kidding, it came out of a pepper box)

Bring salted water to a boil. Parboil the broccoli for a mnute and remove. Add the penne and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente

In a large skillet heat the olive oil. When hot, add the onion and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken and saute, stirring continuously until no longer pink. Add the garlic and saute a few moments, then add the white wine, oregano and tomato sauce. Add the parboiled broccoli and simmer just to reheat. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with parsley. Drain penne and transfer to a bowl. Top with chicken and broccoli saute and serve.

To my low-carb friends..........sorry about the penne ........but darn this was good. Low carbers.......close your eyes we also had buttered french bread. A nice salad with blue cheese dressing would have been nice also.

originally posted by debkay!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 05:37 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

Default Meg's FABULOUS protein bars

Protein Bars

2 cups protein powder of your choice (I’ve used chocolate Nitrotech, chocolate and vanilla MetRX, and chocolate Grow!)
1 cup uncooked oatmeal
1/2 cup nonfat dried milk
1/4 cup natural peanut butter, either smooth or chunky
Optional (see note below): nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, extra peanut butter

I use my Kitchenaid stand mixer with the flat beater to mix this, but you could mix and knead with your hands also.

Blend the three dry ingredients together. Blend in the peanut butter. Here’s the tricky part — add enough water to make a sticky mixture. The amount of the water depends of the brand of protein powder. For the ones I have tried (above), it’s between 3/4 and 1 cup of water. You don’t want it dry and crumbly, but not too wet and runny either. The consistency should be quite sticky. If you are not using a mixer, you’ll need to squeeze and knead this with your hands until it is blended.

Spray a 8x8 or 9x9 pan with PAM. Press the mixture into the pan evenly. I spray my hands with PAM also before I do this so it doesn’t stick. Refrigerate for a few hours and then cut into individual bars, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate.

I cut mine into six bars, but you could do eight if you wished. The nutritional info is based on six bars per pan, so you’d need to recalculate if you do eight.

Note: — if you are not too concerned about calories, you can add in extra peanut butter, dried fruit (raisins, dried cherries etc.), nuts, and/or chocolate chips. If you want to use any of these, just add them to the nutritional info and recalculate.

Nutritional Information (six bars per pan)

250 calories

26g protein
18g carbs
8g fat