Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-05-2004, 05:11 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default Exercise April 5-11: Easter and Passover

and lifting the fork to your mouth DOES NOT COUNT AS BICEP CURLS!!!!!

barb is off to a great start...

and i overslept this morning so i walked for only 30 minutes.

but tonight is a gym night.. so we'll see what happens.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:57 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

where is everyone???

didn't get to the gym tonight.. life got in the way.but i just got back from a 40 minute [or so] walk with the dog, so that gives me a full hour of cardio for the day. no, it's not the elliptical or hiking, but i think doing something different is a good idea.

what's everyone else up to????
Old 04-06-2004, 06:38 AM   #3  

I think spoons are heavier...do they count? they should.

ok, I have a question for you more experienced exercisers. Do you take a day off? The reason I ask is that I got on the treadmill yesterday thinking I would only do a brisk walk and then surprise surprise (at least to me) the running thing kicked in. BUT I gotta tell you I was EXHAUSTED the whole entire day. Not sore, just bone tired to the point where I didn't even want to bend over to pick up a dropped dish towel. I can't afford to be that tired during the day. so HELP!!!

I do feel better today, but I am waffling as to wether or not to hit the treadmill.

peach
ps...I don't want anyone to get any excited notions...I don't run far and I don't run long.
peach pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:38 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

my suggestion: if you're really too tired after exercising, and it stays with you, YOU'RE DOING TOO MUCH!!! back it down in terms of ELEVATION and SPEED. not time. leave off the intervals for now. you're not ready for them. the goal is to keep moving for at least 45 minutes a day. doesn't even have to be all at once!!! and the speed doesn't matter right now, as long as you're getting your heart rate up to the point where you can still carry on a brief conversation with an adult. not mom.

as time goes on and you develop stamina, then you can increase the incline, the speed, etc.

i'd suggest walking on an incline of about 3-4 at a comfortable pace for 45 minutes, and see how you feel after that. <and just for comparison, my own 'comfortable pace' is about 3 mph.> you can also do intervals at just about any pace you want. that running at an incline of 8-10 is too much for you at the moment, peachie dear.

you SHOULD be able to do this aerobic stuff 6 days a week [yes, you DO get a day off!!!!].

you should feel relaxed after exercise, not exhausted. and <can i say it again?> you've been doing too much!!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 11:55 AM   #5  

Hi there! Can I just add a little from my personal experience? I've noticed I lose better when I'm at the lower end of the aerobic range, going a bit further. If I'm at the higher end, getting all gung-ho, I don't seem to burn calories as well, because it's too easy to get into the anaerobic zone, and I can't keep it up for long. OTOH the higher zone does build strength and fitness when I do intervals. So it's a trade-off, for me at least.

And I agree with Jiffypop, I've found if I can't move well the next day, the exercise was well beyond the aerobic range. It's as if my body has to spend all that time just repairing all the damage I've done rather than building new muscle. And I repair MUCH more slowly than I did when I was younger.

It's hard to go gently though, especially when Spring is in the air, and a livelier iris shines upon the burnished dove...
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:41 PM   #6  
Meg

Peachie from the Land of Wonderful Painkillers . Has anyone ever told you that you have a smart sister? Yep, she's right; exercise should leave you feeling good, not exhausted. And it's a good idea to have a rest day every week.

One of the cool things about losing weight is getting back in touch with our bodies. At least for me, in my heavy days, my body was something I had to drag along with me (like a snail shell) but I wasn't very good to it and didn't listen to what it needed (or didn't need). Most of the time I really just tried to pretend it didnt exist.

When I started exercising I was forced to pay attention to how it felt and how it moved. And then it became fun to see a bit of a muscle peeking out or to be a little bit stronger. And eventually it dawned on me that my body was part of me, not my enemy, and that I should treat it kindly and listen to it. So this is a long way of saying "listen to what your body's telling you." If it's saying it's tired, then rest. If it's saying you need a day off or you're going at it too hard, then pay attention.

PS -- I can't help getting excited notions when I hear about Running Peaches!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:15 PM   #7  
Hang In There

Yep, you can do too much. I take the weekends off most of the time. Sometime I work out on Saturdays too, but not often.

Today we did a long 1/2mile uphill hike in the water. don't ask, it's hard for me to understand, much less try to explain to anyone else. Anyway I feel great!
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 02:22 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

barb... does your pool have one of those resistance streams in it? the kind that you battle to make your life more difficult???

how cool. i thiink. maybe. or maybe it's just another form of cruelty????

and thank you meg... peachie is generally amazed when i say three little words: i don't know!!!! she SWEARS that it doesn't happen very often... but she's wrong. there's A LOT i don't know!!!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 10:23 PM   #9  

I went to the gym last night, and had some thoughts of going again tonight, but life does get in the way. I have to clean the house, I have Easter for the family on Sunday. Going to the gym tommorrow night with my daughter. This will be a first that we go excercise together.
Ditzy Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:50 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

gym night... 2 1/2 hours of STUFF including stretching.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:33 PM   #11  

Last night I was back at the gym. 1-1/2 hours of work and sweat!

Barb and Jiff, I was watching those ladies with the trainers. How do you do it? It looks too much for me! I'll stick to my treadmill and my weights.
Ditzy Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:32 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

ditz.. they're actually very nice. and they actually make sure you don't overdue or hurt yourself.

i need to catch up with my exercise posts!!

yesterday: an hour and a half walk with doggie. and then another half hour in the evening.

and today, a brief 20 minute stroll, with EVERY INTENTION of going to the gym tonight, but i never made it.

i WILL go tomorrow, though.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:05 PM   #13  
Hang In There

Nothing but an hour of water Pilates today.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 02:02 AM   #14  

well today I joined a gym, seeing that the walking isn't going to well. My pcp took me off of the diabetes meds and she cut the HTN and cholesterol in half. SHe thought my bp was getting to low when I was going for the walks. So we will see tomorrow at the gym.
smtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:41 PM   #15  
Searching

I already posted this on the 100 lb. club but I wanted to remind you about the funness in excercise:

You gals are so going to want an excercise with Chris video. I hula hooped for 22 min, played with my ball, did 12 reps of all upper body and lower body excercises for 1 set, and then stretched my little brains out, in between I was dancing, smiling, and giggling. This is the way excercise is suppose to be!

Miss Chris
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote