Old 04-07-2004, 09:36 AM   #1  
GmaTo8

Arrow Why I am "Sticking To It" this time....

Marti asked me and the others who are losing steadily what made a difference this time - here's my story....

When Fern was sick last November, I was sitting in the hospital waiting area, eating chocolate covered peanuts, talking to Neal's brother, the one who just lost his wife - Paul. And I told him jokingly, that I thought I was addicted to food, and he said that I probably really was. I respect him very much, and he is a member of Mensa, so I really value his opinion. So, we talked about it for quite a while - how I would have to think of it the same way I thought about quitting smoking 7 years ago. One day at a time, and concentrate on my health. So, over the holidays, I kept thinking about it, and when I was ready, I started right then and there - not on a Monday, but on a Saturday, January 24. (my mom's b/d) I am following Weight Watchers and Dr. Phil. (He says to avoid processed foods as much as possible, and I think that is really, really helping me.) Anyway, now I hear other people talk about food addition, and it really hits home. I just can't be trusted around a more than one serving of trigger foods like chocolate or chips or pastries. So I don't keep it in the house. Another thing I did, if you remember, is I asked my family to intervene if they see I am slipping. Most of all, though, is the way I plan ahead all of my meals. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail".

I started a Weight Loss Album, and in it, among other things, is a Top Ten list of why I really want the weight off. Here it is:

10. To fit comfortably in movie and airplane seats.

09. To stop fussing with my clothes. (I am always yanking at my top, in the back, to make sure it's covering my huge butt.)

08. For more breath and energy.

07. To find something that fits in ANY clothing store. And not in the fat-lady section!

06. So my knees and feet will stop complaining.

05. To stop worrying about my weight all the time.

04. To know I did it!

03. Because I'm just plain ol' sick to death of being so fat.

02. To be around and dance with Neal at our Granddaughters' weddings.

And the most important reason I know of to get this weight off is.....

01. To honor the body God gave me.

The really awesome part is, so far, I haven't had the urge to overeat. But when I do, I'll get the list out, call on my family, and ask the help of my fellow Jaded Ladies ! You guys have really helped me SO MUCH with all the encouragement and genuine caring. I truly don't think I could do it without you!

One more thing, then I'll shut up - I recently read in Health magazine that people who have yo-yo dieted are the most likely to actually lose weight and keep it off. Why? Because they just keep trying til it works! That gave me a LOT of inspiration!

Well, sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps! Susan, you have lost SO much, what made you stick to it?

Jana
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:37 PM   #2  

WOW! I really needed to read this today. I have been absent from the site and WW for three months. I reached goal and thought I was finished with having to lose weight-WRONG! This is gonna be a lifetime job for me. During this absence I have put on 18# and I am feeling so down. I went from 209# to 147#, but 147# was too hard for me to maintain so I reset my goal at 153#. Today I am 171#. I know I am addicted to food, too. I can't "buy it for the kids", who am I kidding-I eat 80% of it. I often think, "If I didn't have it in the house I wouldn't be eating it". I am the one who buys the food, who pays for it, so it is in my control. I am addicted to sweets and if they are around I swear they call out to me. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone and for your number one reason: "To honor the body God gave you".
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:51 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

Hi Idealperson,

I'm glad you found some inspiration in my words! The way I feel about the junk food is - no body else in my family needs it either! My DH has lost about 10 pounds, and DD hasn't lost, but is eating only healthy things now. On the rare occasion that I do have trigger foods, the family keeps a close eye on me, which helps. Please join us at the Chit Chat thread, okay?

Jana
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:17 AM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

Wink What did it for me BEFORE.....

Jana--
I love your list of why your doing this. And #1 is a great one!!

Ok....this is what got me going BEFORE when I lost 40lbs. I started at 175lbs. And I got down to 133lbs. It took me a year to do but I did it and it lasted for a good two years....then it slowly went up, but I managed to not get to my highest. (yet anyways...if I don't start doing something about it now it just might!) (also. I've managed to lose down to 135lbs again while at sony and managed to let that slowly creep up)

I had gone in for a physical and I was told that my blood pressure was high and that I was too young to have such hbp.....(I didn't know there was an age limit for that) And when the doctor left to get something, I looked down on my information of me and saw that I was in the "obese" catagory for my height and at 175lbs. When he came back I was depressed. Then he proceeded to tell me that if I quit smoking, lose weight, and started eating healthier and exercising more, my BP would come down.

Well I had a baby and I didn't want to be one of those stand on the side moms. So.....living in the country off of a busy highway....I started walking around the field. Every morning and night. I would walk a total of 2 miles each time. And then I would fix my own seperate meals...(which I didn't like doing but did anyway) They weren't necessarily low cal meals or anything...they were just more veggies and less starches. I didn't really smoke much at the time so quitting smoking wasn't a problem. And so this became my routine...go to work, do my walks and cook seperate meals. And it didn't occur to me that I was losing weight (I didn't have a scale) until my 6 month check up (for my BP) and I had found that I lost 25lbs. Boy....talk about motivation!

So....if that worked for me then...why can't I get it in my head this time that I really need to work hard on this? What is keeping me grounded to one spot instead of getting my butt out there and moving? I'm not sure what it is. I want to blame it on stress,,,, but I really don't have a lot of stress. I have a wonderful husband a beautiful daughter, a new house...and so on. But when I get to the thoughts of "I should go for a walk" or "I should take my bike out" or "pilates would be good to do" I quickly push it aside!

I don't know. But I'm going to work this out. I will look and feel better by the end of summer. I'm not going to try and quickly do this so I can wear summer clothes.....I need to do this for my future....and there will be MANY summers to come.....so girls....

Once I find that "go" button that's in me....I'm ready! Now off I go to find it!!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:45 AM   #5  
GmaTo8

The following very touching testimonial was copied and pasted here with Susan's permission:

Motivation?? Let me go back to 1998 Sept. I think this was a major motivation back at that time. I was 245 pounds and the girls were going to a lot of swimming parties. I asked another mother if she would take Rachel and Rebecca in the pool for me because I couldn't bear to see myself in a bathing suite-
I was only 35-
I sat there and watched....the girls were having fun but it was without me.

How much more was I going to miss of their lives due to my weight? Due to my insecurities??
Certainly there are overweight women that can get in a pool, I am not one of them though-
I also was going to their private school and the building had these long stairs you had to walk up- I would always have to rest half way up-
Huffing & Puffing
Certainly the scale wasn't going down- not that I weighed.
I did know that 22 size pants were becoming tight and 2x shirts were now 3x shirts.

So,,when was the *someday* going to become the *now*?? When was I going to be worth putting on the front burner and taken care of?
Was I really going to be a 35 year old lady afraid to take her kids in the pool? Was I going to hide in the back of the room so I wouldn't embarrass them at school functions??
Was I going to stand in front of the stove eating left over pizza in the dark (because calories don't count in the dark).....we never had leftovers!!! I always was eating after everyone was long gone from the table.

Motivation is something different for everyone. It is something deep inside your being that won't allow you any more to live a life that is not yours.....
I didn't have kids to sit on the sidelines of life.

Being 40 just has renewed those feelings because I want to live life at 100% not at 70%...
Losing weight for me just represents that I won't settle for anything less then what is mine-
Time isn't going to stop for us- time is ticking.

Does that make sense?? lol

Gabster is ansty to go.

Best get!

TTFN
Old 05-20-2004, 11:11 PM   #6  

I just came across this thread. I think I will sit down and write my own reasons because when a hard day comes around it may be the reminder I need.

Anyway, I just had to say that reading the post that was pasted by Susan made me want to cry. I swear I could have wrote most of that. It really hit home. I remember when I wouldn't go in the pool with my son. He was heartbroken. And I felt like I was missing out on so much.

I have not lost very much yet. But I think you just know when there will be no more excuses. When you are going to do it. And I know with everything in me that I will reach my goal and I will not stop until I do.

Thanks for the great thread.
findingmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:22 PM   #7  

Height: 5'1"

Glad you stopped in......please join us in the chitchat thread if you would like! So much inspiration with these girls. And they have been wonderful during times I really needed them.

You're going to do a great job at reaching your goal......just know that you have many people here who will help support you during your journey. And if you have an advice that would help in return, it would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to pop in and join us again at anytime!!

Marti
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote