Old 04-03-2004, 09:21 AM   #1  
bzyathome

S/C/G: 199.5/175/150

Default Newbie and Questions

I have found my inspiration....all of you chicks on the Atkins forum. You are marvelous!!!!
I've never been good at sticking to diets. At 48 years old, I've been on every diet there is and the only one that worked to get over 30lbs off 15 years ago was "fat-free" eating which led to extremely low calories. I can't do that any more and so I've started Atkins, once again, and found this site and my inspiration. Thank you!

Right now I'm on Day 5 of my new eating plan. I've lost 3lbs which is great and I'm in ketosis. I have almost 50 lbs. to lose, 46 to be exact. I've never been this heavy before. I'm 5'7 and started at 197 then did Atkins for two weeks in February and got down to 190 but then my DH decided he just couldn't keep it up so we went low cal and I got back up to 196. After 6 week of ?dieting????? I told him I had to go back on Atkins because of the controlled foods and for once, I was losing. He agreed so here we are. I know it's weird to have him so involved too but if he doesn't follow it with me, I have a terrible time sticking to anything. He lost 40lbs on Atkins when he was 20 years old and has always preached this way of eating but at 50, his tummy doesn't like all the protein so it's harder for him. But we've decided to work through it and stick to it longer than two weeks (me, forever). He has 20 to lose so he'll lose it long before I get to my 46.

OK...I've rambled on enough now to the question. What are your favorite "sweet" snacks. I'm craving sweets and am having a hard time finding anything to eat. I've been mixing a 1/4 tsp coco with 2 TBS cream cheese and one packet of Stevia (I don't use splenda or equal). It's too rich and just doesn't seem to cut the sweet tooth out. I don't like jello so I don't make it much. I'm just wondering what you all do for those sweet sweet cravings. I'd appreciate any suggestions you could give....I'm having trouble finding answers in the archives, I'm too impatient.

AND by the way, I'm so excited to have found this forum....hope I can be a part of your great group.

Thank you,
bzyathome
196/193/150
bzyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #2  
Baby Steps

OH wow. Don't get me started on sweet stuff.
Ok. Here goes. If you've just GOT to have sweets (it's forbidden on induction but sometimes ya just GOTTA have it).... there's the "chocolate mousse" recipe (check out the recipe thread). I usually mix some heavy cream, splenda and about a TBSP of sf/ff chocolate pudding. THAT saved me TONS of times. Otherwise there's zcarb bars. And Russell Stouffer (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). Beware the sugar alcohols though. They're known to stall people.
Good luck and congrats on getting your DH to join with you. That's SO great! More people will join in and give you more options (in fact, I'll be checking back cuz they come up with some great stuff!).
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 09:34 AM   #3  
bzyathome

S/C/G: 199.5/175/150

Thanks Brenda. You actually are one of my "favorite" inspiration chicks. I've been reading in the forum for a few days and I love you your stats in your signature. WTG!

I know Induction is strict but just wish there was a "magic" pill to take away the sweet cravings. I love cheese and pepperoni so much on them and have chicken breasts cooked up but they just aren't sweet. I know, I know, the cravings will go away. I've read 3 Editions of Dr. Atkins books and love them. I still gravitate to the first one and that egg white/cream of tartar/ cottage cheese bread. Man, that sounds good I should make some of that....excuse me! :-)
bzyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 09:44 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 6"

Welcome to the boards BZ and hubby!
Before indulging in sweets you may want to try to take the cravings off with something fatty. A piece of cheese, sliver of ham.. etc..
However, agreeing with Brenda.. there are days that you just want something sweet no matter how hard you try to let it pass, and instead of burying your face in a tub of bon bons it is wiser to have a low carb solution.
I rely on ZCarb bars, on occassion the chocolate fluff stuff Brenda mentioned and there is also a recipe there for these little chocolate mint patties that are oooh so yummy! If it's not chocolate but something more fruity sweet your after.. there is also a great recipe using whipping cream, cream cheese and jello (for flavor) that will keep you content. The first time I tried it I used Strawberry Banana and I swore it was yogurt! Very good.
As of now I am deep in experimentation of the creation of a cherry shake It's getting close but until I perfect it .. it shall remain a secret so shhh
Trazzie is offline   Reply With Quote