General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 09:22 PM   #1  

Thumbs down Mid-Atlantic move

Hi everyone, I'm possibly going to move to the d.c., va, md area this year and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I do not do well in cold weather. I'm used to walking and other outdoor activities but am afraid this will be limited in the colder months. I'm so afraid I'll become sedentary.
Thanks
Old 02-08-2004, 09:49 AM   #2  
living, breathing, moving

S/C/G: 230/170/135

Height: 5*5ish

lol, one transplanted southerner to another. " wither away in your bed, and lot's of hot bathes" no just kidding, i so miss southern weather, and being able to just go outside and not worry about freezing/ice and so on.. i would suggest that you invest in some fun workout videos, or maybe take a class or too at the local y..
that is what i should be doing instead i wait wait wait. spring will be here soon, right?
Old 02-08-2004, 03:03 PM   #3  

Thanks for the suggestions. I am dreading the cold! I love snow but hate cold. I'm afraid I'll be trapped under covers by the fireplace for the winter. Hmmm....can I get groceries delivered. lol. I'm going to miss our southern weather but I'm going to love the mountains!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:08 AM   #4  

dina, lol my very first winter up here, i spent in bed. .literally crying "take me home, please i beg you" all my hubby could say was" i told you ohio what did you think?" lol
i did go home but ended up back here. the hardest adjustment other than just the temp itself, is the hassle off snow. no just jumping in car to go.. oh no go start car wqarming, brush snow off, scrape ice. shovelk driveway.. then is car warm? got you layers on? ok now go to store to pick up jug of milk.. lol ok enuff you get the pic. i am surrounded my flatlands pretty much. tons of corn round here. bet the mountains would be nice.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:02 PM   #5  

Hey, DC, Va area is warm compared to where I live! Try living in Buffalo! Anyway, I better go- the snow plow just plowed in my driveway again. Just if your interested, we have about 2 feet on the ground, and snowing right now. It snows almost everyday. On the bright side- shoveling is good exercise!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:32 PM   #6  

Hey, great idea! I never considered shoveling snow, that would definately be good exercise. I'm sitting in Dallas, Texas right now and it's 35 and I'm freezing! I'm such a wuss. I feel for ya.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:24 AM   #7  

Hi!
I used to live in North central Ohio.I don't know if you have ever gone for a walk in "knee deep" snow before,but it's a REALLY good workout!! Get a good pair of boots,maybe some snowpants,and a heavy coat,and head out! Actually,it 's quite fun.I used to take my dog with me all the time!!
-
Old 02-13-2004, 08:11 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner71
Hi!
I used to live in North central Ohio.I don't know if you have ever gone for a walk in "knee deep" snow before,but it's a REALLY good workout!! Get a good pair of boots,maybe some snowpants,and a heavy coat,and head out! Actually,it 's quite fun.I used to take my dog with me all the time!!
-
here here!! lol oh is it. 20 min in knee deep snow is an extra heavy duty workout on my calves . whoowee.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:56 PM   #9  

It snowed....in Dallas today! Yippee! 40 minute walk in it, no problem, o.k., it was only 2 inches.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:50 PM   #10  

Wink From Ohio to VA!

Hi, I didn't make the drastic move that you are having, but it was a change just from Ohio to Virginia. We were in the military, first time away from home too, but anyway....We were south of Richmond, so we had a lot of the ocean air, etc come our way. I just know that my sinuses were the worst they had ever been when we moved there. With the mountain air and weather and the ocean stuff, I was miserable. The heat when its there is hot and humid. You should be use to that though. I wasn't, got pregnant right away and I thought I was toasted inside and out. LOL We didn't have A/C so that didn't help either. I think you will be ok, my brother was in the Washington area and they keep the roads pretty clear, so much traffic. It can be light snow, but it can be heavy too. The only thing that I didn't like was the hurricanes that came inland. So, just know that the snow will be there and just depends on what the Guy upstairs wants you to have. Can't really pinpoint lots of problems, there are to many variables. Just have clothes for all types of weather and lots of sinus meds!!!
Closed Thread