Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #1  

Default Dr. Phil show question wheat vs. whole wheat

Hi everyone,

I was watching Dr. Phil yesterday and one of the weight loss challengers was shopping with a diet expert and she made the comment that if your bread says wheat bread it is the same thing as white bread. Can someone explain - I thought I was being healthy by buying wheat bread? Is whole that different than plain wheat?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:27 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Wheat can be better than white but whole wheat is where the grains are not as broken down. Some wheats are basically just a darker white bread.

"Like nearly all bread, “wheat bread” is made from wheat flour, and not necessarily from whole-wheat flour. Whole-wheat bread is made from the entire wheat kernel, including bran and germ." is directly from a websearch for "what is whole wheat bread"
Old 10-28-2003, 11:33 PM   #3  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, wheat bread can be weird! I pick up these hearty-seeming dark loaves and flip them over to read how many grams of fiber are in each slice, and most are 2 or even 1!

For WW, to get the lower point (1 vs. 2 per slice), a slice of bread needs 3 grams of fiber. I just look for this... although you can get "diet" bread too and get the lower points through thinner slices or, I dunno, low-cal filler?

I like Arnold's "Bran'nola" myself (yes I know, tempting name, huh? heheh!)

Sarah
Old 10-29-2003, 03:38 PM   #4  

thanks for the tips ladies.

jazze
Old 10-30-2003, 10:29 AM   #5  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs down

Good points. Plus some *wheat bread* has molasses to make it brown, so checking the nutrition label is the weigh to go!
Closed Thread