Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 09:09 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Unhappy Surgery...not today

Hi all!! So here is the scoop. I was scheduled for gallbladder surgery today. We went to the hospital as planned we had fasted and everything was set to go. I get there and they do the IV and put the little pumps on my legs (to prevent blood clots) and even gave me the shot of medicine to make me "relaxed". Then the lab girl comes in and takes blood for another liver enzyme. Her and the nurse gave me the impression that this was not the norm.

A while later the surgeon comes in and tells me that while elevated liver enzymes are indicative of gallbladder, mine are abnormal and he is worried that there is debris in my bile duct. He would like to confer with an gastroenterologist. Then he comes back and tells me that they both suspect debris and the surgery is post-poned and I have to go down for an MRI to confirm their suspicions. After the MRI results come back I am told to make an appointment to see my surgeon tomorrow to discuss the results. I luck out and the nurse is an old friend, so she gives me the scoop. Yes, I have debris, it's a 6 mil gallstone that is lodges in my bile duct. This will need to be removed by the gastroenterologist with a procedure where they put a scope down your throat and then when they find the stone, they pluck it out! (Sounds like fun...doesn't it) I asked the nurse why we couldn't have just removed the gallbladder and then plucked out the other stone later. From what she said, if you remove the gallbladder and the bile duct is blocked, the bile has no where to go and builds up and can cause liver failure. I guess it would have been a pretty big deal if he hadn't caught it.

So, tomorrow I have an appointment with the surgeon to hear all this "officially" and then it's off to more tests, appointments and procedures, finally ending with the gallbladder removal.

Thanks so much for all your good wishes. Looked like they worked!!
Old 10-15-2003, 09:14 PM   #2  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Wow, I was writing in your other thread & here you are. I am so glad they caught the stone in time. *hugs* Hope everything goes ok tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 332.4/228.4/175

Height: 5'11"

That is exactly what happened to me. However I had my gallbladder removed and found out about the stone afterward. I was in pain for abput 3 weeks after my surgery before being readmitted to the hospital I was in the hospital for about 5 days having test after test to find out what was wrong with me. Finally they did and I had the procedure that you are going to have. Let me tell you how good I felt after that was done. I couldn't wait to get out of the hospital. Lucky for you that they caught it before hand. Hope everything goes well.
Steph
Old 10-15-2003, 11:09 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

such excitement!!!?? my sympathies. i'll bet you thought this would be EASY, didn't you????? at least they're looking out for you and taking good care of you.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Wow! I'm glad the doctor noticed that. You hear of all the bad stuff that can happen so it's nice to hear that they were really looking out for your wellbeing.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:17 PM   #6  
Crazy Canuck

Wow, that was a close call! I know the waiting's difficult, but that discovery no doubt saved what could have been even more discomfort - hang in there girl!
Old 10-15-2003, 11:21 PM   #7  
missaprylj

Thank goodness for second thoughts!

Things will all turn out for you, Sandi. Keep us posted.

*hugs* -Apryl

Old 10-16-2003, 07:31 AM   #8  

How did they find out about the second stone? I am so glad they caught it before they went into surgery! I know you must be disappointed not to have this over yet. Do they know how long before all the other tests and procedures?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:38 AM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Good grief! I can just imagine your anxiety level right now. Well I suppose it is all for the best but I'm sure you are just wishing the whole thing was over now. Hope you aren't in too much pain, how is the Advil working for you?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:55 AM   #10  
Long Time Member

Actually, the pain has pretty much gone away. The stone must have dislodged itself. Let's hope it stays that way!!
Old 10-16-2003, 09:56 AM   #11  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Well considering that you haven't eaten either all day yesterday that is probably a factor too. My dh's stone isn't lodged in the ducts and he still has low level pain all the time.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:19 AM   #12  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

maybe this is the way the surgeons are secretly putting you on a diet.. cancel the surgury once a week.. hehe

I'm glad they caught that in time!

Dana
Old 10-22-2003, 09:21 AM   #13  

Sandi, didn't you say you go see the dr. today? Be sure to let us know how it goes.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:25 AM   #14  
Long Time Member

WOW!! Can't believe that you remembered that!! Yep - 1:00 is the GI to determine what the next step will be. I'll let you know!!
Old 10-22-2003, 12:27 PM   #15  

sandi you better hurry up if we are going to have our surgeries at the same time cause mine is tuesday at 11:30. And i have to have bloodwork that morning i hope that nothing comes back abnormal so they post pone mine. The last 3 days mine has not stopped hurting so i am more than ready for mine to come out. All kidding aside i hope your GI goes well today and that they can do your surgery soon.
Closed Thread