South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 12:03 PM   #1  
Work in Progress

Default Protein Bars...the scoop from SBD Dish

This is from the Daily Dish..for some reason I get this from SBD and I thought that this was an ongoing question....from the Doctors mouth to our ears!!!

Energy Bars: Hands Off!

It's impossible to enter a grocery store without being bombarded by dozens of bars touted as meal replacements, diet aids, and muscle builders. Which of these, if any, are acceptable on the South Beach Diet? The answer: none. Why? All of these bars (even the ones claiming to be low carbohydrate) contain a substantial amount of carbohydrates. Additionally, none of them are an acceptable alternative to fresh, whole foods.

If you can't resist the convenience of such bars—despite our warnings—eat them before you exercise, read labels carefully, and keep the following information in mind:
Energy bars (Power Bars, Cliff Bars, and Tiger's Milk) are meant to provide energy in a convenient form for high-performance athletes. They deliver large amounts of carbohydrates for sustained activities such as hiking, biking, and running. For those on the South Beach Diet, these high-carb bars can be a diet buster.
High-protein bars (Atkins Advantage and Promax) are a popular way for body builders to increase muscle mass, but their "low-carbohydrate" labeling can often be misleading. Not only do these bars frequently contain large amounts of fat, they also have sugar alcohols that are not included in the carbohydrate count.
Meal-replacement bars (Slim-Fast and Opti-Pro) are designed for the person who has trouble with portion control. These bars limit the amount of food you eat and can leave you feeling hungry—something that the South Beach Diet discourages
Old 10-11-2003, 12:24 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks for posting this, Rowan. I may move it to FAQ once folks have seen it. Good stuff! ....the post, not the bars!
Old 10-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #3  

By the way, everyone can get the Daily Dish and get SBD daily tips from Dr. Agatson. You do have to sign up for the newsletter at southbeachdiet.com, but you don't have to join the online program offered. I think it's a good idea, since we all have a lot of unaswered questions the book didn't address. Just a suggestion!
:flow:
Old 10-11-2003, 10:37 PM   #4  
In Control: E+R=O

Great information Rowan!! Thanks for posting it!
Closed Thread