Old 09-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #16

Good Afternoon! It's been a cloudy gloomy day with a breeze blowing, but nothing like the awful wind yesterday. I didn't set the alarm last night and slept too late to make it to church on time. The washer, dryer, and dishwasher have been doing their jobs while I counted the gift shop money and finished that paperwork for another week. I was surprised at how much we sold considering we don't have much on display. Boxes are piling higher and higher in the coffee shop, covering one window now. Bob has been working on the boat to get it ready for winter.

Not much else going on here. The sun is trying to shine which would be most welcome! Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 09-04-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #2  

Good afternoon all. It is cooling down finally as it has been hot all day pretty much. I am hoping the rain holds off until Thursday so all those boxes don't get wet beforehand. With our stupid garage leaking there is no sense putting them in there.

I got the downstairs all cleaned now and Jack changed out the light bulb. We are going to Lowes in the morning and get a new switch for the bathroom so he can change it out tomorrow and hang both the picture and clock tomorrow. The man is a procrastinator, but I told him the stuff has to be done this weekend. We also need to pick up the eye drop prescription and go to Krogers and get ice cream and bread. I want to go to the liquor store and get a bottle of burgundy to make burgundy beef for dinner one night this week.

Woohoo Cubs just now won in 13 innings!! We haven't eaten dinner because we were waiting for the game to finish and it just kept going and going. I told Jack just to run get us a sandwich at Arbys for dinner.

Short week for Jack this week and then a short week next week as his surgery is the 16th. He said his hand wasn't hurting too much today, but then he hasn't done a whole lot today.

Jean: Glad you had a nice anniversary weekend. Can't believe it is September already and we are going into fall. I have been watching and waiting to book my hotels for our cruise next year and to buy our drink packages. I hope it is available in the next couple weeks. We have our one excursion booked. We are only doing one next year, but it is a new one we haven't ever been on. It is still a resort style thing with pools, slides, lots of food choices etc. Did I remember right you are doing the actual moving of the gift shop tomorrow? I am sure you will be glad to have that all done.

Everyone have a nice Sunday. Talk to you all tomorrow.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #3  

Good morning. I am up and almost dressed. I have my hair and makeup done and my meds taken. We are heading out in about an hour or so to get the errands done and Jack is taking me to breakfast. We are going to Cracker Barrel, which is close to Lowes. I am not fond of this restaurant because their chairs are so darn uncomfortable, but it is close by and Jack likes their French toast.

I am coming right along on the chevron blanket. I made a goof like I always do, but fixed it and seem to be knitting up a storm now. I will be glad when it is done and I can block it. I can then go back to knitting my friend's blanket and get it done and make some pillows for her.

I got my AARP cards the other day and need to send in my membership dues. They aren't due until February, but I don't want to forget. I don't like the politics of them, but I have to carry it to take my life insurance through them. I don't need them anymore for hotel deals as Jack is over 65 now and none of the hotels we use has a higher age for a senior rate. The senior rate and AARP rate is always the same pretty much and AARP is never lover. Their magazine and newspaper can be interesting at times, but for the most part I am not keen on their political views.

Jack is going to put up my clock and picture today and I am anxious to see how they look. I have to buy more batteries as I am out of double A again. My scent diffusers, my "fake" candles and my clock all use the same batteries and I am always needing the darn things. I am buying a big box today or at least a couple of smaller ones. My diffusers take two apiece and I have 9 of them around the house. I like them better than the plug ins and they are safer. I had a plug in catch on fire once and never will I use them again.

I hope everyone has a nice Labor Day.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! It's been a very strange day for weather! We got up to rain with a breeze then the sun came out this afternoon. The humidity is on the rise as the day goes along. Every night, for the rest of the week, there are strong storms predicted. It has been a lazy day for us. Bob says these long holiday weekends make him tired. I made a meatloaf for dinner and it turned out blah in my opinion. I think my taste buds must be changing because nothing I make tastes like I want it to. Tomorrow starts six weeks of three games a week. After the first week we will choose one or the other for football or soccer for Ian and Zowie.

"Gma," going to the liquor store made me wonder if your grocery stores don't carry alcohol. Both of our stores carry a large selection plus we have a locally owned liquor store. I know where my favorites are located but don't know about burgundy. What do you get when you buy the cruise drink packages? I noticed there was one listed for water, another listing fancy coffee, and still another one for pop. I know one has to pay extra for alcoholic drinks. I assume one can purchase a can of pop any time without buying the package. The gift and coffee shop was supposed to have moved last month, but now will move on the 13th. We keep getting merchandise, a lot being Christmas items to be stored for awhile yet. Someone on FB said that Christmas trees were on the shelves at a CA store. Now this is way too early! I never use my AARP card but do read their magazine and newspaper. What brand of scent diffusers do you use? I'd like to put a battery operated one in the basement.

Susan and Maggie, you have been missed! Hope all is ok with you both.

Bob just asked, "what's for supper?" We usually have popcorn on Sunday nights but somehow missed that by grilling later than lunchtime, then went for ice cream. Maybe it will be popcorn tonight! Hope you all enjoy a nice evening and remember tomorrow is Tuesday!

Last edited by Jean; 09-05-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. It has been so hot and very humid here the last few days and it looks like no let up for us. Luckily no rain so the boxes didn't get wet and today is trash day and that husband of mine left them sitting on the patio table so I just rushed them out to the corner in my nightshirt to make sure they got picked up. He is going to get an earful after I am done here. The man is so scatter brained lately.

I paid bills, balanced my checkbook, put away dishes and took my meds. I am going to get some breakfast then read for about an hour and get upstairs and clean the hall bathroom and make the bed.

I am making beef and noodles for dinner tonight so I need to get in there and sauté the cubes in flour so it makes a nice gravy consistency for the noodles to be mixed in. I like super fine noodles instead of the big ones. I think it goes back to my grandma who used to make the really fine noodles.

Jean: You can buy juice or water or alcohol or soda packages. We buy soda packages as tea is free as is coffee and that's the only other things we would drink. The water in the taps is safe for drinking, since we book a suite we get bottled water and fresh fruit and treats delivered to our room every day. You can buy glasses of soda not cans and it costs you a bundle that way so you are better off to get the drink packages if you are a soda drinker. If we were big alcohol drinkers we would probably get that package as they charge you an 18% gratuity on each drink you order individually. If we have a cocktail we refuse to put more of a tip on there since they already get it. Our drink packages for 2 cost around $100 total. We sat down and figured out if between the two of us we had 10 sodas a day and they charge $4 apiece for a glass that is $40 and for 7 days that is $280! You think about sitting down in a restaurant for lunch and dinner how many glasses would you have? More than likely at least one and a refill so that's 4 for lunch and 4 for dinner between you not counting at the pool or whatever. I love popcorn but can't eat it. It tears up my colon most of the time. I will get a big urge and eat caramel corn once in awhile but not very often. The farmer's Market in Indiana has a place where you can get caramel corn fresh and it is still warm. It is the best stuff I have ever had anywhere. I saw the Farmers' Almanac is predicting a harsh winter for you guys this year and unseasonably warm down here. I buy both the Airwick and the Walmart brand. The Airwick sprays out more freshner than the WM brand, but WM has this Japanese Cherry Blosson I really like. I bought a couple of pumpkin spice of the Airwicks a few days ago and it makes everything smell like fall. Be aware though that they go through batteries like crazy!

I guess I better get a move on as it is almost 8. Have a great day all.

Last edited by gma22; 09-07-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! It's been an off and on again rainy day in my neighborhood. The sun is trying to peek through the clouds now. I worked in the gift shop this morning, sold two gift cards and a greeting card to the same person. There is no more room to pile any more boxes! I worked on a greeting card order and visited with people coming through. My gift shop bank statement didn't balance big time this month; now I think the mistake was last month; I worked on the statement then I got interrupted and put it away thinking I was done. I have a call in to the accountant to check her deposit so I'm hoping she will call me back yet today. Mid yesterday afternoon we left for Ian's first football game. It was 80 degrees and humid here when we were getting ready to go. Bob was debating on shorts or jeans while I was planning to wear capris. The weather at the game site was 75 and sunny. Bob decided on jeans so I changed into jeans too, and grabbed a nylon jacket on my way out the door. We drove through some rain on the way, but it was cooling down and very windy at the game. There was a light mist to add to my misery! I'm just thankful I wore jeans and had my jacket. Jason had a blanket that he gave to me. Ian had several good tackles/plays (like I would know!), and his team won 18-0, so I was glad for him. The school colors are royal blue and yellow/gold; Ian's shoes are two toned, half white and half yellow/gold. He is pretty proud of them.

"Gma," do you suppose anyone saw you out running around in your nightshirt? I hardly ever order any drink, besides water, when we eat out. Pop is so over priced and half the time has no taste to it if it is fountain pop. I am not a big pop drinker anyhow. If we are out eating breakfast I will have coffee to start the day. From the cruise prices I guess it's good that I'm not a big drinker. Maybe I will splurge on a glass of wine or two. I'd rather have Wifi! I have heard it is supposed to be a colder winter for us. I hope not! I've also heard we won't have as much snow, which could be good or bad for crop soil. My Amazon order finally arrived! It was shipped from Kentucky Aug. 28th, has been to IL, three separate stops in Iowa-one being 40 miles from me, back to IL, then NY, back to IL, then the three separate places in IA, and finally to my door today. So glad it wasn't something perishable!

I see the mailman has just stopped so guess I will go see what junk might be in the mix today. Hope you enjoy a nice evening!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #7  

Good evening, ladies. Hot and humid.

Hermine only gave us .6 inch of rain but the wind brought down a lot of leaves and limbs so a mess to clean up. Fortunately I have Scot to do that.

I've just been lazy lately and reading all afternoon. I have to finish a quilt for next Wednesday so I'll have to shift to audiobooks.

Donna, you didn't need to buy glasses. You just take the lens out of the eye that is fixed. My surgery was $2,100 per eye and I had a $210 copay for each one. I'll be praying for Jack to have a successful surgery and quick recovery. I'm sorry to hear about Kelly's attitude and her father-in-laws death. If I have coffee and water, I'm good for drinks. I never get anything but water when we go out.

Jean, busy as always! It's hard to believe school is back in session and the sports have started up.

Have a wonderful evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. It is already very humid this morning and going to be another hot day today.

I need to get upstairs this morning and get some light cleaning done then I am done with that for the day. I have been working a lot on the blanket, but frankly am bored with it so will be glad when I can get it done. I think I am going to put a single crochet row around it as I don't think the side edges look very nice. This pattern didn't have base rows to make a border.

I ordered the cutest necklace and earrings last night. I went in to pay my credit card bill and they were on air so the picture was there on the website. They are Italian so not so cheap, but they are these dolls made of crystals, stone, beads, etc. You can buy different styles of them and they are just adorable. I bought a "Party Girl" one in all white. She is like a little stick figure with a dress and shoes and handbag. Her head is either a crystal or pearl. I would love to have a couple more of them, but they are too expensive as they aren't gems and not real gold or silver. I figured the white would go with anything.

The Mariner's got to go to the dealer. Jack said the check engine light and some throttle thing popped up on it coming home yesterday so he figures it is a sensor gone bad. He is going to take it to Auto Zone on Saturday and let them put the machine thingy on it that tells you what is wrong. I told him just to use the MKS the rest of this week and next and we'll take it in while he is on medical leave. He won't be using it for 3 months so it isn't a big hurry.

We get our new kitchen trash can today and I sure hope we like it because the darn thing was expensive. It is battery operated and opens and closes by itself. It is a bigger can that our plastic one. I got tired of cleaning the plastic one all the time. It was white and stained like you wouldn't believe. I told Jack it won't be long until the cans will talk back to you, "Hey man, what's with the rotten banana?" "Don't put that stinky thing in me!" He just looked at me and rolled his eyes.

Susan: I was nervous about possibly breaking my current glasses taking out the lense so I just bought the exact same glasses. They cost me $16 so I didn't feel I was giving away the farm. I have the drops I have to put in before the surgery and they give you a clear eye patch and other stuff to wear. I got a whole folder on procedures and do's and don'ts, etc. I am ready to get this going. My vision can be totally blurry on some days. Today seems like one of those days in both eyes. Hope you get your quilt done. I don't have any upfront costs but I imagine Tricare will be billing me for a copay. My office visit copay was $12, but she said the day of surgery I have nothing to pay. I don't know what Tricare will charge as it is a day procedure and not in a hospital. Gonna be interesting as I get dizzy lying flat so I have to be sure and let the nurse know so I can just sit for a bit when I get up until it goes away. I am told it is my medication that does that.

Jean: I went in and saw they have new packages starting this year and I could go ahead and pay for ours. Well they have increased the prices by about $40 total! I went ahead and paid for them anyway as they will have upped the prices per glass too. Jack drinks coffee and iced tea and soda. I am a soda and water drinker and hot tea occasionally. I hate coffee and never drink it. Hope you get your snafu figured out.

Everyone have a good Thursday.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #9  

Good Morning! It's sunny and cool in my neighborhood this morning. I've been working on the gift shop check book all morning. I did a stupid move and entered a payroll amount I assumed would be deposited along with a credit card amount from a sale in July. It was not on either of my last two bank statements so I had a call in to the accountant yesterday afternoon. Last night I redid the credits and debits from my goof to now. The payroll accountant just called and realized she hadn't paid me so will have another $4000+ in my account tomorrow. I still don't balance so am going to call another accountant after lunch. The one who usually handles my account is on her honeymoon so I'm hoping another one can help me. I may have to wait until Monday.

Susan, I was glad to see you today! I like your kind of lazy!

"Gma," can you and Jack share one drink package? What happens if you drink more than what the package costs? The new jewelry sounds cute. Do you have a picture? Bob's pickup had a hiccup and it was due for an oil change so the mechanic said they would put it on the computer. Of course everything checked out ok, but they did replace the transmission fluid because of the mileage and he had pulled the tractor trailer a few times. Hope that fixes it. Will the garbage can open if you stand by it, or what do you do to make it open? I've never seen one.

We are going to Maddy's soccer game tonight. She plays at 7 so will be mostly dark by the end of the game. It is pitch black when I get up in the morning. Fall is almost official. Hope you all enjoy a nice day!
Old 09-09-2016, 04:21 AM   #10  

Good morning to you all. My allergies were acting up and I went to the bathroom so just decided to come downstairs this morning. It sure is still humid here and pretty miserable even overnight. I know they are extending the early work hours at the plant for another month and they usually cut it off in Sept. Jack doesn't like having to get up at 4 am so he works his regular hours. At least they give you a choice.

We are going to do our regular WM run this afternoon instead of tomorrow. Jack promised me he would get the clock up tomorrow so I am going to hold him to it. I want it on the wall before he goes on medical leave because then I won't get it hung up until Christmas time.

Jean: You cannot share drink packages. First off, you have your seapass card which has a Coke emblem on it and to get glasses of drink you have to show them your card when you are in the dining room or one of the restaurants but secondly you are given a plastic traveling type cup that is in your stateroom when you get there and it has a chip on the bottom. They have self service machines all over the ship and you sit you glass on the machine and it reads your chip. You can only get a soda fill up once every 5 minutes I think is what the time line is on the drink cups so you can't just fill it up and transfer it. It is unlimited so there is no limit to how many sodas you can have. You can drink to your heart's content. I included a picture of one of the little doll pendants. Mine is the same style but all white. They have different styles and they are all cute. These are about 3-4 inches long so they aren't little and the chain is 31 inches. Hope you can get all your finance gift shop woes cleared up. Have fun at the game and hope she wins!
We have to wait until tonight to get my trashcan going. I had 3 D batteries but they were old and obviously have run out of juice so I have to buy some this evening. Supposedly it has a sensor that when you walk up to it, it opens up. The trash guys didn't take the old one yesterday. I guess they thought it was an outdoor trash can even though it didn't have a darn thing in it! I will put a post it note on it next week telling them to take it.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg party girl.jpg (6.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! It has been a rainy gloomy day in my corner of the world. I spent the morning doing some laundry and going over the gift shop checkbook again. The accountant agreed to look at it so I dropped it off this afternoon when I did the end of the week paperwork. I had high-lighted different parts in different colors for my benefit, then crossed out three pages of the balance column and redid debits and credits on lined paper. She wasn't in her office so I left it on her desk. Hope she can figure it out!

"Gma," thanks for the drink information. I don't even know if we would drink all the bottled water in that package, and would hate to waste the money. Guess we need to take time and go over the information we have received. I did look at the excursions; some were pretty pricey and we aren't in any one place for very long except when they turn the ship around. Your necklace is so cute! I have visions of your trash can snapping at you when you walk by.

Our cable company is rearranging the numbers on their channels next week. I have to make sure I get the programs I like to record changed over. We supposedly are getting some new and improved choices; yeah, right. I need to dream up something for supper, maybe a frozen pizza or something simple like that. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening!

Last edited by Jean; 09-09-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all. My knee was killing me so much yesterday I slept downstairs as I wasn't sure I could climb the stairs. I even got out the walker to get to the bathroom faster. It is hurting this morning, but I have to go upstairs so I can take a shower so will have to bear it.

I got the cutest card for Thomas for getting his driver's license. It came in the mail yesterday. I had looked in town and couldn't find one.

I ordered three new tops for fall and winter and I hope they fit. One of them laces up the back part way, but it doesn't show skin. The other two are sweaters,, one a long turtleneck tunic and the other is an Native American print on it.

Jean: Hope you figured out dinner and didn't starve last night. We went to Rafferty's as we were planning on doing the WM shopping, but my leg hurt so bad I asked if we could go do it this morning. We had prime rib and I brought most of mine home. They give you one side and a salad and the salad is huge and delicious. It has potato sticks, bacon, tomato, hard boiled egg and a variety of greens. I always eat the whole thing and my potato and don't eat much of my meat and always bring it home. It always drives me nuts when I can't get something to balance. At least you have a backup that can help see where the problem is.

Everyone have a great day today. I am off to the showers.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:21 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! It was 50 degrees this morning, a little chilly at the game but sunny and a beautiful day all day. We were out the door by 7:30 this morning and I'm hoping I can hold out until my regular bedtime. Zowie made a goal and her team won so I'm glad we went. Her game next week is at 8 and we will pass. Jason was in southern Iowa hunting with his buddies who get together every fall. They used to go to SD and hunt prairie dogs but some sort of disease spread through and killed most of them. Zowie's other grandma came to the game too, so we all went out for lunch after the game. We found out Ian is the drum major for the marching band, and their homecoming parade is next Friday; we will be going back for the parade. His football game this week is close to Sioux City so we have decided to start at Maddy's game and leave at half time to travel and see the second half of Ian's game. That will save us an extra trip the night we have a meeting at church which we missed the last time. I need a secretary!!! When we got home Bob decided to clean the area rug under the kitchen table, the big round one that has the cat toy box and scratching boxes, and the rug by the front door. I cleaned out the coat closet and started another box for the SOS store. Found a lunch bag/box from my school days.

"Gma," I hope your knee feels better soon! Are you thinking about a new knee after Jack recuperates? There is never a danger of me starving! I could survive for quite awhile on the excess fat cells for sure. I buy the small square pizzas and they aren't too bad. They are quick and easy, my kind of cooking. I love the kind of salad you described and often order them with grilled chicken. The hospital accountant wasn't overjoyed about helping with the checkbook. When I explained what mistakes I had found, she asked me what I wanted her to do. I started the whole conversation by saying I needed help! I really wanted to go through it with her but since all the accountants were away from their desks I assumed they were in a meeting. Different departments were moving cart loads to their new destinations so everyone was a bit testy. The coffee and gift shop will close at noon Monday, finish packing, move and unpack Tuesday, and reopen Wednesday hopefully. I offered to help but so far haven't heard anything which is ok. Hope your new clothes fit and you like them.

I need to change laundry loads and help move some furniture back in place. I know there is leftover meatloaf for supper so will dig for something to go with that. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:59 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all. It is very sticky today again but the temps are going to be in the 80's instead of 90's. We aren't done with the 90 degree temps just yet though.

Today is commissary day so I am sure Jack and I will be grumbling when we leave there. Last time we were in there and we finished up the shopping they had no cashiers, none. We had to stand at the end of where all the cashier lines are and just wait. I get fed up pretty quickly so I was about to go snag someone and give them what for when one cashier showed up. Of course there were people lined up behind me. I have complained to everyone I know and repeatedly and I am telling you if we go in there today and there are not cashiers and we have to stand and wait, I am contacting the base commander. I am fed up. If we didn't save money and if I didn't hate Kroger so much I would quit going out there. I won't buy most meat from WM because they package it for families of a bazillion not two. I went in there one time to get chicken I had forgotten at the commissary and the only pieces packages they had were the ones that have like 16 legs or thighs, etc. They had small packages of wings, but who wants those except you know who.

We put the batteries in our trash can yesterday. When you walk up to it, the lid just opens nice as you please, you put your trash in and walk away and about 3 seconds later this kind of slaps down like the jaws of an animals eating. It gave me the giggles the first time I went to put something in it. It is pretty big too so we won't have to change out trash bags as often, but then that means heavier trash so guess there is a trade off. I have only a few days then I have to take over that duty along with everything else.

My new clock is up on the wall and even Jack likes it and I thought he wouldn't. The clock face is big enough you can read it anywhere in the room, which is nice. All we had before is a small gift clock my sisters bought us for our 25th wedding anniversary and if the face is not exactly in the right spot you can't read the darn thing.

Jean: We were in WM yesterday and I came zooming down the main aisle in my scooter and I saw YOU!! I mean this woman was your doppleganger for sure. She looked just like you glasses hair and all. I know she thought I was nuts as I was kind of laughing when I went past her thinking of how much you hate WM. I think whenever we finally get the floors done I am going to put an area rug in the living room. I am not sure Jack likes the idea, but I want one anyway. I got scowls yesterday because I had to buy a whole bunch of the cans of air freshner for my diffuser thingys. He hates fragrance in the house and hates those things spritzing out spray. They have caught him a couple of times even though I try to face them out where they won't. I make individual meat loaves when we have it and so we never have leftovers which is a shame. I like meat loaf sandwiches. I make the individual ones so we don't overeat it. Glad Zowie won her game.

Everyone have a good Sunday.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:32 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon! It's been a nice sunny day but very windy. We went to early church and enjoyed the new digital lighting that Bob did the leg work finding someone to finally come and do it. It's been a two plus year process getting passed from person to person. The difference is amazing! I spent most of the afternoon working on my annual report for the auxiliary meeting Wednesday, double checking figures mostly. I hope the checkbook is "fixed" and I have it back tomorrow. We are thinking about going to the fair after I'm done counting. Bob has practice at 4:30 so will be a quick trip if we go. I like to walk through the buildings and just look at the displays. I register for prizes but never win anything. Bob always has to look at the farm machinery.

"Gma," I hope your commissary trip was short and sweet today. It's nice that your clock is hung and Jack likes it too. I have heard that we all have an identical double somewhere. A friend sent us a smartphone picture of "Bob" at her daughter's softball game in Nebraska. It did look like him. We bought a large piece of carpet and had it cut into area rugs, then bound around the edges. They are heavy enough that the corners don't curl; I was afraid they might and people (me!) would trip. Wish I could share the icky meatloaf! Bob warms his up again but I eat mine cold in a sandwich.

I have a few dishes to do and a counter to clear off. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening!

Last edited by Jean; 09-11-2016 at 07:33 PM.