Old 03-31-2015, 07:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/140/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Help! IP Phase 1 Week 2

I started IP on March 17, 2015 and I am currently on Phase 1 Week 2. The first week I lost 7 pounds I just offically weighed in for my second week this morning and lost another 5 since the 24th. I noticed the scale had not moved for DAYS and I lost the 5 within the first 4 days in the beginning of the week. WHAT IS GOING ON! WHAT MISTAKES COULD I BE MAKING! All this work and now the scale is steady and not moving!
jconde12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconde12 View Post
I started IP on March 17, 2015 and I am currently on Phase 1 Week 2. The first week I lost 7 pounds I just offically weighed in for my second week this morning and lost another 5 since the 24th. I noticed the scale had not moved for DAYS and I lost the 5 within the first 4 days in the beginning of the week. WHAT IS GOING ON! WHAT MISTAKES COULD I BE MAKING! All this work and now the scale is steady and not moving!
BUT the scales DID move, right? Maybe not for days but all in all you lost in week 2. I freaked out the end of week 1 because I was losing 2 a day for days 1-3, then only 1 pound or so total the end of the week. I realized quickly, through conversations on here that it happens. This method just sort of works this way. I don't think there is anything you're necessarily doing wrong. Maybe take a look and see if you are having too many restricted foods. However, 5 pounds is great! The first week is almost always the biggest loss because you lose water weight as well. Once you are in ketosis and your body begins burning fat for fuel the weight loss with slow from that first week. When you're not losing, or you feel you're not, DON'T GIVE UP! It was just Friday I was kind of bummed but since yesterday the weight loss has picked back up...not 2 pounds a day but any loss is better than a gain and you have to lose ounces to lose pounds. Hang in there.
simplchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplchaos View Post
Once you are in ketosis and your body begins burning fat for fuel the weight loss with slow from that first week. When you're not losing, or you feel you're not, DON'T GIVE UP! It was just Friday I was kind of bummed but since yesterday the weight loss has picked back up...not 2 pounds a day but any loss is better than a gain and you have to lose ounces to lose pounds. Hang in there.
I won't give up! But speaking of Ketosis... I was totally in it last week with the sign of my breath being absolutely horrible! But, now I don't have that? What could put me out of ketosis? I have not cheated at all... I have not touched restricted foods at all including oatmeal. I was thinking possible too many protein shakes? I typically have one for breakfast, a soup for lunch and a shake before headed home from work because I have awful cravings some times driving past all the gross food chains and then make dinner according to the guidelines of phase 1. I sometimes will make a pudding before night time because I want something sweet.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:

Wow - you already lost 37.5% of your intended target weight in 2 weeks! Considering you are only looking to lose 32 #'s, that's amazing.

From my personal experience, week 3 weight loss slow downs are typical. Weight loss is never symmetrical, even on a plan like IP.

Were you expecting to lose 5 -7 pounds per week? That's not realistic on ANY plan - from everything I have been told and read, IP is 2 - 3 pounds per week, so if you've been told / read otherwise, you should check some other sources (like 3FC).

Your current success suggests you are not doing anything wrong. Have a little patience, let your body catch up and you should start seeing losses again soon.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post

Your current success suggests you are not doing anything wrong. Have a little patience, let your body catch up and you should start seeing losses again soon.
Thank you Beth! I feel alot better now! I just was under the impression that the weight loss would slow down later down the road, not yet!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:51 AM   #6  
restart 5/27/14

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Your losses a really great. I don't believe that you are doing anything wrong. I typically lose 2lbs per week.
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 AM   #7  

Quote:
I won't give up! But speaking of Ketosis... I was totally in it last week with the sign of my breath being absolutely horrible! But, now I don't have that? What could put me out of ketosis? I have not cheated at all... I have not touched restricted foods at all including oatmeal. I was thinking possible too many protein shakes? I typically have one for breakfast, a soup for lunch and a shake before headed home from work because I have awful cravings some times driving past all the gross food chains and then make dinner according to the guidelines of phase 1. I sometimes will make a pudding before night time because I want something sweet.
As long as you are following the plan you are in ketosis. I had a headache and an upset stomach (with vomiting) for one day, other than that nothing has been different with me. None of ketosis side effects I read about.
simplchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:46 PM   #8  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Height: 5'4"

Both this time (reboot) and last I never have any of the ketosis side effects that everyone else has. Hmmm, now that I think of it I never had morning sickness when I was prego 29 years ago. I just must be pretty weird!
Great Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:03 PM   #9  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
It's a little soon, but it sounds like your body has adjusted to the production of ketones very quickly. Once that happens (normally around 4-5 weeks in for most of us) you will start losing signs of ketosis. This is because your body has learned how much it needs to convert, instead of going into emergency overdrive to ensure that your body has sufficient fuel (as in the early days of ketosis) and it starts producing fewer ketones. Fewer ketones means more of them get used by the body rather than flushed out as waste products (saliva, urine) and the "signs" of ketosis diminish. This is perfectly normal and one of the reasons we tell people not to waste their money buying ketostix at the pharmacy, because once the body adapts to ketosis the stix stop being helpful.

You mention having a soup for lunch. Make sure you are having veggies with it (raw, cooked, it doesn't really matter - non-free salad items at the very least). This is important on many counts. 1. this diet is restrictive enough on calories, you don't want to drop it any lower than it needs to be. You will not lose weight faster, you will actually tell your body it is starving and to withhold loss 2. you need the nutrients that veggies provide as we have already cut out some pretty major food groups (nuts, grains, pulses, dairy) 3. it will help you avoid constipation.

If you skimp on anything, make it the carbs, not the protein or the healthy fats or the veggies. Make use of your free salad items (lettuce, cucumber, celery) as nibbles or between meal fillers if you're hungry or get the itchy fingers of temptation!

Weight loss isn't linear. You will not lose every day. The longer you are on IP the more you will see patterns. Hormones, water retention (excess sodium), building muscle if you are physically active (because muscle holds more water than fat), constipation. They all play a part in HOW your body loses. Most of us see slow weeks and then "whooshes".

Try not to judge your loss purely on the scales. Keep track of the tape measure, because you'll be surprised how often a lack of movement on the scale indicates big inch losses instead. Bodies are weird things, and they do their own thing. On top of that, our body is constantly juggling both carb-fueling and ketone-fueling side by side. It's a lot for a body to do, try to be patient.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #10  

I really think I am doing something wrong.... The scale still has not moved from this posting date. I am getting upset, all this work.. no prize.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jcondeee

This is my food diary
Old 04-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #11  
Restarted IP 7/3/2017

S/C/G: 273 / 269.8 / 173

Height: 5'11"

I would wait until your upcoming official weigh-in before assuming something is wrong. Weight loss isn't a linear progression, it's starts and stops and slight gains and slight losses, and your body is still adjusting to the rhythm.

Also, you lost 13 pounds in two weeks. Let your body catch up! It might need a breather after all that success.

I briefly glanced at your log and it looks pretty good, I would just be more mindful of sticking to three BPD items per day and making sure you get all your veggies. But you seem to be doing great at keeping to the foods you should be, so good job.

Again, I wouldn't worry too much until the 7th. There's a reason why clinics suggest you only weigh-in weekly.
ImASharkIPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #12  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I really think I am doing something wrong.... The scale still has not moved from this posting date. I am getting upset, all this work.. no prize.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jcondeee

This is my food diary
Just glancing at your diary tells me a few things:
1) You are using alternatives. This is not a problem as long as you watch the sugar content. Many alternatives contain more sugar than IP products. Check out this thread for invaluable info. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-part-6-a.html
2) You aren't getting in 4 cup of select veggies for the day. And you're using prepackaged veggies. Again not always a bad choice but read the label and watch for hidden sugars. This thread might help if you aren't really a veggie lover. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ie-purees.html
3) You are not getting enough calories. Following IP guideline, you should be getting between 800 and 1000 calories a day (depends on the IP products you choose for the day, the type of protein, etc). Taking in fewer calories can cause your body to go into starvation mode and hang onto everything it can.
4) If you work out, are extremely active, etc you need another packet.
5) Be sure to drink at least 64 oz water a day. The "water your body" app for smartphones helps remind me to drink mine!

You are still very early on in this game. Give it time to work. Follow the IP guidelines even if you are using alternatives. Hang in there!
frawniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #13  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Jconde12, stop worrying. This is a normal pattern of loss and one of the reasons that nearly all clinics tell you to only weigh once a week - because people have such massive expectations of losing every day.

The reality is that when you lose weight quickly, your body has to adjust and decide where it's burning fat from next.

Worrying will increase your body's production of cortisol - the stress hormone - and THAT *can* slow down losses.

Your food log indicates a few things that you might want to adjust - not sure if you stopped entering your water values, but you need at least 64oz of water per day (more is better in the early days while you are flushing out excess ketones), you seem a little lighter on veggies (make sure you get your full 4 cups), your protein is lower than I personally would recommend (absolute minimum should be half of your body weight in g of protein) and you seem to have exercise calories in that are reducing your already low caloric intake further. I also see no listing of your 2 tsp of healthy oil (olive oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil) that is essential. Maybe you don't track them, but then you don't have an accurate picture of your daily intake to make comparisons with as you spend longer on IP.

At 140 your base metabolic rate is going to be somewhere around 1300 calories and most days you are struggling to make 600. This is UNDER feeding and eventually your body will go into starvation mode and stop relinquishing fat stores.

You also have only 20 further lbs to lose. After the first week (when you lose between 4 and 10 pounds of glycogen that is stored in the liver and muscles - and the water that goes with it) you will see that slow down. With a relatively low percentage of weight to lose this will happen faster than say, someone with 200lbs to lose.

Please, take a minute to read the Phase 1 Work Sheet and have a look at the What Are You Eating Today, IPeeps thread to confirm that you are getting sufficient nutrients to stop your body from panicking about the reduction in caloric intake AND to ensure that you don't stall your metabolism (which means you will end up with way fewer calories in maintenance).

There will be weeks when you see losses of barely a lb as you get close to goal. If you're this peturbed by failure to lose daily then you won't survive til goal weight.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 196/174/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Clarification, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASharkIPromise View Post
I would wait until your upcoming official weigh-in before assuming something is wrong. Weight loss isn't a linear progression, it's starts and stops and slight gains and slight losses, and your body is still adjusting to the rhythm.

Also, you lost 13 pounds in two weeks. Let your body catch up! It might need a breather after all that success.

I briefly glanced at your log and it looks pretty good, I would just be more mindful of sticking to three BPD items per day and making sure you get all your veggies. But you seem to be doing great at keeping to the foods you should be, so good job.

Again, I wouldn't worry too much until the 7th. There's a reason why clinics suggest you only weigh-in weekly.
Excuse my ignorance (I'm in my first week), but what are BPDs?
SusieCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #15  
Reboot 11 June 2018

BPDs is an abbreviation for the protein shake that jconde12 has listed in her food diary, as she is using alternatives.