Exercise! - Curves

View Full Version : Curves

Cassandra B
07-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Well, I finally bit the bullet and joined Curves today. They were some of the nicest people that I have ever met. I went when I got off work, so I didnt have a chance to work out today but I cant wait till tomorrow. I have never stuck to anything before, but I KNOW this will be different. So everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Cassandra:p

FrouFrou
07-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Hi Cassandra. :)

CONGRATULATION'S on joining Curves. I am sending you some good vibes and luck for your first work out tomorrow. :crossed: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :lucky: Have fun!

Cassandra B
07-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Ok. I just got home from my first work out at Curves. It is wonderful. I feel so much better even after just one time. Cant wait untill tomorrow. The only bad thing is they are not open on the weekend.

I have some buddy passes but cant find anyone to go with me, but thats ok because when I am all skinny and tan (joined the tanning bed too) they will be begging to go. I will show them...hehehe:D

Thanks for the encouragement!:p

Cassandra

angel4real
07-29-2003, 12:16 AM
Hi Cassandra
I go to Curves to, I am on my 3rd month, and I love it. I made a comittment to myself that I would go at least the minimun of 3 times a week. I have never been one to go to a gym by myself, but going to Curves is Fun and easy to do alone. The best part about it, is that im out of there in 30 minutes. In my first month I lost a total of 3 inches, and by the end of my second month 5 1/2. Im happy with the resluts, even though I have not lost any weight in going, but at least Im losing the inches. I know that the weight will start coming off now because Im dieting also. Im looking forward to August. They will be doing the 6 week challenge, and I cant wait. If you can, get the book, and the workbooks that they sell they are good tools. the book and workbook are about $5 each, and then they have the hardcover book which runs about $15. I haven't bought that one yet, because Ive been busy reading other things, but I plan on getting it. I hear it is really good. let me know how you do after your first measure day. Good Luck.

Jennifer 3FC
07-29-2003, 12:57 AM
I have a question about Curves...I know somebody that goes to one on her lunch break, 3 days a week. Just how sweaty of a work out is this? I'd like that idea because I am only a few blocks from my local Curves and I get an hour for lunch, but I don't want to go back to work sticky and red-faced. Is that the kind of workout it is? Otherwise, I'll have to pick another gym because the hours are so limited at Curves.

angel4real
07-29-2003, 01:41 AM
There are times that I can leave there without ever breaking a sweat. and then there are times when I work up a pretty good sweat. There are alot of women who dont ever break a sweat. How hard you work out is really up to you. I agree with you about the hours, they are limited, but fortunately for me it works out. Some Curves are even open on Saturdays. If you are interested in trying it out, Call your local Curves and tell them you want to try a week for free before signing up. I got my first week for free, but because I really liked it I ended up signing up before my free week was over.

Cassandra B
07-29-2003, 08:59 PM
I usually work up a good sweat. I try to work as hard as I can though. I always leave with a red face. :o Just try it out and I can almost bet that you will love it. I wish my local Curves was open on Saturdays. My goal is to not miss a day in a whole month. I am 5 for 5 right now. I cant wait till the 22nd...thats my measurment day!! yipee:D

I am glad you mention the Curves books. I have been wondering about them. Now I may have to check them out!

Happy Curving!

Amby876
07-30-2003, 01:29 PM
I have Curving for about 10 weeks...My weigh in is on th 19th....so far I have lose 15.25 inches and a lousy 3 pounds...My mom and I are considering purchasing a franchise of Curves...that will be open all day on Saturday and may even have a seperate room for children to play:D

I have bought the Curves Journal...it's for $5 at my Curves...if you are thinking about buying the Curves book...you don't have to ...the Journal is the basically the same thing...pretty same information...but it has areas where you can keep a journal and write things down...

Have a good day

Cassandra B
08-01-2003, 09:19 PM
Opening up a franchise of Curves would be so neat. Ours has a room with a TV and VCR in it for the kids to watch but nothing fancy. The owner has ordered us a new piece of equipment. It is supposed to work on the obliques. This will add about 3 min to the work out but who cares. Whats 3 min. right?! I am excited about it. I am looking for the Curves workbook thing online but can only find the whole book. Oh well, I will keep looking or I will go to Bookland tomorrow.

Have fun Curving!!!

SJR
08-02-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi,

I am not new to 3FC, but I am new to Curves. I will be joining on Monday, when a new franchise opens up near me.

I joined WW in July of 1998 at 280lbs and by that Christmas had lost 50lbs, but did not exercise. Then I hit a huge plateau and it took me until the fall of 2000 to lose another 30 and hit 200lbs ( I actually lost 90 but because I didn't stay under 200 very long I look at 200 as my lowest). The only way I lost the additional 30 is because I went thru some exercise spurts, but could not be consistent about it. Long story short, I faded away from WW because I wasn't losing (because I didn't exercise) and have gained back 50lbs over the last 3 years. Now that I have looked into Curves I am hoping to use the WW points system on my own and do the Curves for the exercise. Hopefully the two will get me back to 200.

I really enjoyed the threads I was on when I was doing WW. Hopefully we can keep this one going.

I will let you all know how my first visit went.

Sheri :):)

shadesOme
08-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Hey ladies!! Just caught sight of these posts.. I have been going to curves for almost 3 months, I go right after work. It's right down the street from my office, the people are fabulous and I love to go. Unfortunately with a sinus infection, I've only made it once this week:( ..

Amby, that would be wonderful, good luck with the curves venture.

Good luck with your first visit Sherry, I'm sure you'll be hooked, I have found familiar faces and lots of smiles at mine.. The atmosphere will keep you going... :)

I work up a lil sweat usually, although there are some girls at my office who go at lunch, no matter when you can fit it in,, ITS WORTH IT>.... congrats to you ladies you have made the committment, the results will amaze you.

Dont be discouraged by the weight not coming off, I lost 13.75 inches my first month and only 3.5#, need to get measured/weighed again.. shame on me.. needless to say the scale isnt showing squat but my clothes are amazingly lose.. gotta love that.. keep smiling ladies and in the words of my sweet boyfriend-- curves are good..

:D :D

apreciousone
08-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Curves is wonderful! I joined almost a month ago, and I work out every day. The staff is very helpful, and the members are so friendly and helpful. I never knew working out could be so much fun ~ I already see results.

Stay with the Curves concept, and good luck!

apreciousone
08-07-2003, 09:40 PM
Hi everyone...I noticed several of you have mentioned the fact that your local Curves is not open on week-ends. Fortunately, the one I go to is open on Saturdays, but only for two hours. Also, the facility is closed during the week for most of the afternoon and reopens for a couple of hours in the evening. This is somewhat of an inconvenience for a lot of people, but I guess that is the luxury of owning a franchise ~ you can pick your own hours. Perhaps, as more and more women hear about and join Curves, our exercise time will become more flexible. For now, I continue to tell friends about Curves and encourage them to get in on the fun!

angel4real
08-08-2003, 05:07 PM
The Curves that I go to is not open on Saturday痴 either, but they have only been open since April.
I was told that once membership increases they would start to open on Saturdays. But would only be open for a couple of hours. The hours at Curves work for me, because I usually go on my way home from work.. I used to stay and work till about 6 then go home, now I leave work between 4:30 and 5 and I知 usually home by 6. I知 a lazy weekend person. I like being able to sleep in, since I usually stay up late on Friday nights. So even if they were open on Saturdays I probably wouldn稚 go anyway.

I have been so sick for the last week, that I have not made it in to Curves to go work out. I知 really bummed about it too. I don稚 like missing more than 2 days in a row, because then it seems as though I知 starting from day one. Being sick has made me miss a week already. I知 hoping that I can start back again on Monday. I think I even get weighed and measured next Thursday. And I have dropped 10.5 pounds since last month, so I知 really looking forward to seeing how my measurements are now.
Ok, well I guess it is back to work for me.

Bye 4 now

Cassandra B
08-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Angel4real... Congrats on your 10.5 pounds. That is great. I hope I lose a considerable amount like that. I think at our Curves if you loose 10 inches in the first month you get a T-shirt or something like that. I cant wait to measure for the first time on the 22nd. All I know is that I can take my denim shorts off without unbuttoning and zipping them! yipppeeee!!!! Thats got to mean something right?

Looking back through the thread I see where shadesOme lost 13.75 inches in the first month. That rocks!!

Well, gotta go eat dinner (health food)
Happy Curving!

apreciousone
08-11-2003, 06:51 PM
"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!"

angel4real
08-12-2003, 03:10 AM
Well Im down another pound. Yipeeeeeee. Today was my first day of going back to CUrves after being sick for over a week. I had to make a note to myself. DONT GET SICK AGAIN. I dont know if it's just because I dont have all my strength back, but it felt like someone tightened the tension on the machines. We also got a new machine today too. We only have one more to go, and we will have them all. well Hopefully tomorrow Curves will be a little easier than it was today. Im looking forward to Friday. I get weighed and measured.
OK, well Im off to bed. Hope everyone is doing well.
Mia

Cassandra B
08-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Glad you are feeling better. My latest problem is my ankles hurt. I have couch potato ankles, they are not used to be pounded on everyday. I have started putting those ace pull on braces on them. I guess it helps. I hope it does because I keep jogging on them everyday. Let me know how Friday goes. Good luck!

SJR
08-12-2003, 09:41 PM
Hi all,

Well I joined Curves last Wednesday and have been every day since (except for Sunday). Our Curves is open from 8-12 on Saturdays.

I do really like it. We only have 8 machines right now because I guess when you first open you have to start with the original 8. I am hoping she is going to get more that work on the stomach area. I will tell you though that the back of my thighs are huge black and blues. I think it is from getting on and off the machines. I didn't realize they were black and blue until my daughter said something this weekend. I don't know why my legs bruise so easily. Must be because there is so much fat ?!?

I did weigh myself at home this week and was the same, but I am pre-menstrual. I also know that when I used to get in the exercise spurts doing WW, I would always gain the first week or so.

Cassandra - I also work up quite a sweat and a red face!!

Well, have to go.

Sheri

angel4real
08-12-2003, 11:24 PM
Sheri,
Wow you bruise easily. I thought I was bad. I used to bruise really easy. If you are getting big bruises and not aware of it happening, maybe you should go see a Dr. You may need iron. Hopefully you are not anemic. I know that when my iron is low, i bruise really easy. At one point I went and got tested for anemia because I was brusing so badly.

Dont worry about the weight right away Sheri. My first month at curves, I think I only lost 1 pound, but I lost inches. Even the second month at curves I didnt losr any weight, but still lost inches. The weight just started coming off within the last 2 months since I started the Atkins diet. I've lost 11.5 pounds. So give it time, it will happen.

I was gonna go to Curves today, but there was so much traffic on the freeway, that I didnt feel like sitting in a parking lot on the freeway, so I decided to just come home and do WATP.
I think that's a fair trade.
Ok well I have to do water changes in my aquariums. Poor fish they need clean water. :-)

Mia

Soon2bHottie
08-13-2003, 02:03 PM
This is my first time posting here, but I have been reading about what you all have to say about Curves, so I thought that I would join in. I went to Curves last night to check it out and it seems like it is a good program. I didn't have time to work out last night, but am going to do the work out on Friday. I think that I will probably go ahead and sign up. Has anyone tried the weight loss program? Do you know if the books that they sell with the program have the same information in them as the book that the founder of Curves wrote? I know that there is a book for sale at Barnes and Noble, but wasn't sure if it was any good or not. Any ideas?

angel4real
08-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Hello Soon2bHottie,

Welcome... The Curves that I go to, just opened in April, and so they havent done the 6 week challenge yet. That's what they call the weight loss program. They are getting ready to start it this month in August. I will proabably participate, Since it seems pretty close to what I am doing now.
As far as the books go, Im not sure if they are the same as the ones that they sell with the program. I have not read the book. But I did by the small one along with the workbook.

I will ask tonight when I go work out if anybody knows if it is a good book or not. I will let you know tonight after my work out.

well i have to get back to work. Hope eveeryone is having a good day.

Mia

Soon2bHottie
08-13-2003, 04:17 PM
Hi everyone!!

I am so glad that I found this thread. I am planning on joining Curves on Friday. I went in last night and checked it out and am going to do my first workout on Friday. I am so excited!

From everything that I see, hear and read I am expecting great things from myself! I have a goal to lose 15 inches the first month. I know that I can do it, but it is going to take some work on my part.

Has anyone tried their weight loss program? I was wondering how it was.

shadesOme
08-13-2003, 08:16 PM
:p sounds like you guys are on the right track..

Glad to hear your feeling better Angel:D

My curves is open from 7am to 7pm and saturday 8-noon, luckily for me they dont close during the daytime at all, even though it wouldnt affect me at this point since I go after work. I dont go on saturday cuz its near my office and too far to drive, although there are some near me I could go to............. ok sorry no excuse there.. just a bum!!

I like the friends you make, how people look for you at your normal times etc, its nice to know they like to see ya coming back.

Dont worry too much about the pounds at first, the inches will come off first.. Its cool though when your pants are so loose that ya dont have to unbotton them to get em on or off..although the one pair is gonna require some help soon to stay up... what do you guys think??? rainbow suspenders??? lol..

well guys.. I'm off, keep curving.. its great for you...!!!

Cassandra B
08-13-2003, 08:51 PM
I second the rainbow suspenders idea!! :lol: Going to buy some right now. :D :D :D

SJR
08-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Hi gals.

Mia - I didn't think I bruised easily, but now that I think about I guess I do on my thighs. Too much fat I guess. I don't think I am anemic, but next physical will bring it up with my doctor. I think what caused the bruises is getting off from the machines. On most of the sit down ones my feet don't touch (although I am not short) so I was leaning forward and pressing my fatty thighs against the seat to get up. Now I am spreading my legs and pushing myself up with my hands. I am going to ask about the 6 week challenge though. Do you know if all the Curves do it? It's probably up to the owner, huh?

Cassandra - Is your dog a lab? We have one that is half lab - half german shepard. He doesn't have the floppy ears like a lab, they look mainly like helicopter propelers, but he is a great dog.

Well, I just got home from my workout. I have been every day so far (except Sunday). I am really tired this week, but I think it is because it is TOM.

A little about me - 37 years old, married for 18 years, two kids (16 year old girl and 12 year old boy), one dog, two cats and two rabbits. We live in New Hampshire, which has been the rainy state for the last 3-4 weeks. Today was the first day it hasn't rained in who knows how long. In my first post earlier in this thread I told about my weight loss (and regain) over the last few years. Would love to know more about you guys? When I first joined 3FC back in 1998, we had a rocker of a thread that was super. We were building a house then and living in a campground, so I used to print the thread out at work and read it at home. It was nothing to have 10 or more pages in just 2 days or so. I "met" some really nice people back then who have pretty much disappeared. Hoping we can get this thread going!!:)

Time to surf for awhile! Nite to all.

Sheri

Cassandra B
08-14-2003, 11:24 PM
Well, I am 26 years old and have been married for 6 years. I dont have any kids due to PCOS. I work as a legal secretary for the state of Georgia Child Support Enforcement. I love all of the doggies and kitties that I can. Cheyenne is a lab mix that we adopted from the humane society. The pic my husband posted is a bad one. Someone had abused her and she had a nervous condition that made her lose her hair. Now she is all fluffy because she gets a million kisses a day. I have about 100lbs of weight to lose and hope to do it really fast (yeah right, dont we all). I think I am on the right track though, I did Curves when I got off work and then went to a local track and walked 3 1/2 miles. Needless to say I am POOPED but thats ok because I am a woman on a mission!

Talk to you girls later!

;)

angel4real
08-15-2003, 04:27 AM
ok, Im a little bit irritated right now, I had a big long post ready to submit, then my window refreshed, and I lost it. Im tired. and Im going to bed, maybe I'll feel up to posting tomorrow.

Good night

SJR
08-18-2003, 10:04 PM
Just wanted to pull this up to the top before it gets lost.

Not a lot new here. Went to my workout tonight, wasn't too bad. On Saturday I concentrated more on the running between machines than working the machines. I heard the leader tell another girl that if you go every day you should work the machines lightly every other day and work more on the cardio. Don't know, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Gotta go, this is a very hectic week for me.

apreciousone
08-19-2003, 12:42 AM
Okay, everyone...I was measured today ~ I lost 11 inches in a month ~ so I'm really excited! I'm loving Curves!!! Drinking lots of water is a plus, so drink up everyone and keep Curving! :)

angel4real
08-19-2003, 12:49 AM
Congratulations and keep up the good work. I wish I would lose that much in a month. My losses are small, like 3-4 inches a month, but hey. better than nothing and staying the same.

Mia

Cassandra B
08-22-2003, 10:25 PM
Ok. I am too giddy right now. I lost 12 inches and 4lbs in my first month. I won a t-shirt because I lost over 10in. It was great. Everyone clapped and yelled. It made me want to work that much harder.

Well, I will post more later. Just wanted to keep you updated.

Curves Rocks!

angel4real
08-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Congratulations Cassandra. What an awesome feeling isnt it?
Unfortunately I havent had time to go to curves much these last 2 weeks, so my next weigh in, may be affected. Although I just bought the Body flex, and started doing that last night, so im hoping that it will help me burn off the inches also.
Well I just got home from my long day, I have to go make myself and BF dinner. Hope everyone is doing well.

Rowan Bailey
08-27-2003, 02:19 AM
I joined Curves but have not gone consistently. After reading all of these posts I am inspired to go again. I like it because it is over right around the time that I am getting bored.....I will commit to the three times a week starting tomorrow...thanks for the inspiration!!!
-rb

Cassandra B
08-27-2003, 10:16 PM
Thanks for everyones kind words...thats why this is such a great board. Everyday since I measured someone new will come in to sign up... and the owner will always say "you see that girl right there...she lost 12 inches." I just smile and giggle. The feeling is unreal.

I hope my little 12 inches inspires all. I know it did me.
(I know you can do it Rowan Bailey)

You all be sweet!

Cassandra

shadesOme
08-28-2003, 10:45 PM
;) Wow Cassandra,, now your my inspiration. I have gone every night this week except Monday. Picnic at school with the girls was more important. I didnt even eat there (hot dogs and chips.. ick)
well ok they taste good but didnt want to blow the eating plan farther than I already have.:) :bravo:

Hey Precious, great job on the 11 inches. way to go girl.. Keep it up.. Fantastic!!:) :bravo:

Havent measured or weighed in yet this month.. Might wait a week or so.. WHOS TOM??? lol, might be the reason I'm putting off gettin measured?

Went shopping and can't find those darn rainbow suspenders, will keep looking cuz those pants are getting toooooo baggy:D : :twirly:

You guys are doing great, dedicating time to going to curves, can't wait to see all the results. I have the curves book and its very informative, lots of eye opening information, especially if you were one of those cut way down on what you eat kinda dieters.. if you are or were please read it. The diet is reasonable although I have not tried either one. There is a low carb and low fat/calorie plan. Tried atkins but it left me kinda tired and cranky.

Who's getting bruised on the machines? I was getting some of those initially when I started too, although I do have a tendency towards having low iron, I found that on some of the machines like the one that you pull the bars down with your arms, if someone left it down when I got on the machine, I could bump the back of my arms on the machine just getting on.. Not hard but enough to leave a mark.. Took me a few to figure out how I got it.:drill:

well girls.. Its time for bed. I did jog 2x this week also but although by eating hasnt been bad it hasnt been great either. Can I have a little fairy to sit on my shoulder and consume anything bad for me when I try to put it in my mouth? SIGH. can I borrow some will power?

Great job ladies. Keep up the curving.. will post as soon as I can.

:comp:

SJR
08-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Hi gals,

Cassandra - congrat on your inches lost!!! I can't wait until my measurements next week. I am noticing a little less tightness and I peaked at the scale last week and was down some (although my home scale doesn't show as much). I haven't figured out if my scales are off or theirs are. They said that they have theirs checked everytime the machines are checked, so I guess I better go with theirs. Mine is just some inexpensive digital ones, although when I was on WW it was pretty accurate. But, then again, WW were digital also. Curves has the doctor's type. Are those supposed to be more accurate??

shadesOme - I'm the bruiser!! They have gotten better and I watch now how I get on and off the machines. I was hitting my flabby thighs on the handles alot and I think that caused most of the bruising.

Rowan Bailey - hope you have recommitted. I go almost every day, except this week it will only be 4 days. I did however get a walk in on the 2 off days. I haven't cut my eating back to WW level, but I notice that I do eat differently the more I exercise!

A big HI to everyone I might of missed!!

Well, time for bed! Hope you all have a great holiday weekend. Kids are back to school on Tuesday, so maybe my life will settle down a bit. These last 2 weeks have been horrible.

Take care,

SJR
09-01-2003, 06:41 PM
bringing to the top so Beacon can check us out

Beacon
09-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks, Sheri! Wow...makes me want to run right over to Curves. Do you know if you can use your membership at any of the Curves locations? Do they have changing areas? I know I will see all that when i go over...but just wondering.

Thanks again!

workinprogress071
09-01-2003, 09:37 PM
I have been a member since June and went 0 times. After reading this post...I want to go now!! I just had surgery the 28th...I hope I can stay motivated to get there in a couple weeks when the doctor releases me! Thanks for posting.

apreciousone
09-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Hi workinprogress....Do go to Curves. It has been the best thing I have done for myself in a very long time. It's fun and easy. You will have a great support system as you "curve" to the music! Hope you are recovering well from your surgery.

workinprogress071
09-02-2003, 12:51 AM
I have only went a couple times. I really enjoyed it when I went. You know how it is when you get out of the habit...or should I say don't get into the habit. Thanks to this thread, I am ready to get started! As soon as I get the ok, I am going to get going again. I only live about 2 miles from my local Curves. Sad, huh.

apreciousone
09-02-2003, 01:03 PM
The closest Curves to me is 8 miles, but I enjoy it so much and have had such good results that the drive to and from there doesn't bother me. You are fortunate that there is a location only 2 miles away. I do hope you are able to get back into it as soon as your doctor allows it. Good luck!

angel4real
09-05-2003, 01:01 AM
Hello ladies,

Sorry I havent posted in a while. I have been so busy, I actually forgot about this group. Besides the fact that I stopped going to curves because i just bought a bodyflex and I wanted to see the results of just the body flex for the first couple of weeks. I was really impressed with my first week. I lost 9.5 inches. Ive been feeling under the weather this week, so I will start back at curves next week, and keep going in addition to my body flex.
I see we have new people here.
Or at least new to me....

workinprogress... I hope you are recovering well from your surgery. I hope it was nothing too serious. Im sure you 'll be back to your old new self in no time.

Beacon- Yes and Yes... When you sign up at a Curves you can ask for a travel pass, and you can use it at any Curves.
I go to 2 different CUrves on a regular basis. One by my house and one by work. and I have been to one by my moms house one time also.
All of them have changing areas. At least the ones that I have been to. And if they dont , They all have bathrooms, and you can use that to change in.

It seems as where I Love there are new Curves Locations popping up everywhere. And to think that I had never heard of them before May, now they are everywhere here.

Ok ladies Well It's 9 pm here and I keep promising myself that Im gonna start getting to bed early, So Im going to do do my Body flex, then Im off to bed. I hope that everyone is doign well, and I will check back again soon.

Mia

Christian
09-05-2003, 09:05 AM
Hi there!
Just popped in to say hi :wave:
You guys are inspirational ;)
I just joined Curves yesterday and am so excited to see if the results I get are as good as the ones many of you are experiencing :D Today is my first official workout so I will come back in a bit and give you the 411 so to speak :lol:
Have a great day guys!!

SJR
09-05-2003, 09:53 AM
Hi gals,

Well today was my first measurement day and I lost 6 1/2 lbs and 13 3/4" !!! :cp Now I am really skeptical about the inches, because that seems like a real lot, but we also do a body fat % and something else that registers on this hand-held machine (hope you all know what I'm trying to explain). Anyways, both of those numbers were down at least 1 whole point and the scale was down. My current jeans seem to be a little less loose, but I still can't get into the next size down, so that will be next month's goal.

We are headed to the ocean tonight for the weekend. A mini family reunion. My sister and nephews are here from Minnesota. Hope everyone has a great weekend and Hi :) to everyone!!

Christian
09-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Just a quick update to my earlier post...
I LOVED IT!!!! :balloons:
I want to go everyday!!!!! :lol:

apreciousone
09-05-2003, 05:34 PM
That's how I feel about Curves ~ I love it and I do go everyday!!! Never did I think exercising could be so much fun!

shadesOme
09-06-2003, 08:50 PM
Hey ladies.. Sounds like you are all doing great.. congats to the newbie!! We knew you would love it;)

I have been so bad.. its been a horrible stressful past 2 weeks this past week I only got to go one time. I feel like a heel, my employer has been sending people out the door in droves and its just not looking good. This week has been terrribly hectic and next week, there wont be any excuses, since I have already paid for this month, even if I lose my job, the travel pass will allow me to go near my home.. I just really dont wanna give up my curves.

Glad to see you guys are doing so great.. I understand about the numbers not seeming right but believe them, they are. Its amazing. Congrats on the results. Cya all soon.

someone send me some smiles.. maybe a hug.

angel4real
09-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Sheri, Believe the results. I had a friend who lost 13 inches her first month also. Just remember, They measure several differnt places and so the 13 inches is overall. I myself only lost like 4 inches my first month. I didnt really give it much effort though. And I only went 3 times a week. I havent gone for the last 2 weeks though. I recently bought the Body Flex, and it guaranteed that you would lose 4-14 inches in your first week. So i wanted to see how I did with just the body flex, and not going to Curves. I must say... I was very impressed. MY first week I lost 9.5 inches. and my second week, I lost another 6.5 inches. Not bad for 2 weeks. So now starting on Monday Im going back to curves and Im going to continue to do body flex. Cant wait to see what the results of the combination of both is.

Christain: glad to hear that you are liking curves so much. I mean really.. what is there not to like abou it?

Dana, If you are not able to go to the curves by your work anymore, You can always transfer to one close to home. They will transfer all your info, and you will be in their system.
I hope that everything works out for you in the work situation.

Dana: Im send you many many many well wishes and lots of hugs, a little sunshine :sunny: even a group hug :grouphug:

Cassandra: Still out there? How are you.....

Hope everyone is doing well.

talk to ya later
Mia
ANgel4real:angel:

Cassandra B
09-07-2003, 08:20 PM
I am still here. Just havent been in the mood. I am still going to Curves almost daily and even though I lost 12inches and 4lbs and thought I looked better I saw some pics my husband took of me this weekend. Needless to say I could just barf! I am so upset I could cry (again)!!
Well, I will post more later when I am in a better mood.
Hope everyone is doing great.

Cassandra

apreciousone
09-07-2003, 08:58 PM
Hi Cassandra...You cannot let yourself become discouraged or feel badly about the way you look in pictures. I understand totally how you feel, but you need to constantly remind yourself that you can do this!!! For me, looking at fat pictures of myself drives me to stay on track with exercise and healthy eating habits. I'm sending words of encouragement your way!

angel4real
09-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Cassandra, No matter what we look like on the outside we are still beautiful. Dont let it dicourage you, apreciousone is right. Use it as motivation. It will happen for all of us, be just need to be patient, and stay focused.

I will be pryaing for you that.

Hugs. :grouphug:

Mia

Cassandra B
09-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks... I needed that!!

angel4real
09-08-2003, 02:00 AM
That's what we are here for.

shadesOme
09-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Thank you angel.. your a doll:angel: I appreciate your message, the well wishes, the hugs.. Things are looking ok for now, I almost wish my job was gone, the tension is still bad.. SIGH oh well..

Cassandra, gf, know exactly how you feel.. please dont let it discourage you, look at what you have done so far, you are doing great, you will continue to do great!! We know you will:cb: just in case, sending you some of this:grouphug: and some of this:dancer:

we're here for ya.. Keep smiling

Cassandra B
09-08-2003, 10:34 PM
I am feeling better today. I went to work and mentioned that I wanted a treadmill and one of my co-workers is going to sell me hers for 175.00. All I know is it has the incline feature. My goal is to work out at Curves and walk 3 miles a day!!! My husbands 10 year high school reunion is at the end of this month and I have to do something. I really dread it!!!!

Well, yall be sweet and I will talk to you later!!!

glynne
09-09-2003, 07:12 AM
Hi Everyone!

I joined Curves in June. I went for about 3 weeks then a health problem kept me from going. I got my dr's ok to start back ~ so today will be my first day back. My health problem wasn't caused by going, but I think what I did there aggravated it. I hope that I am able to continue this time with out problems. I like how I feel after I have gone ~ good about myself and like I have done something good for myself. Liking exercise does not come natural for me (probably part of why I look like I do ~ LOL), so I kind of don't look forward to going, but after I get there I have fun, and am always glad afterwards that I have gone.

SJR ~ I think it was you who was getting the bruising getting on and off the machines ~ I felt discomfort at the back of my thighs getting off the machines, then I started to get off by swinging my legs around the side and that seemed to help.

My Curves is open from 7am-7pm M-F then from like 9-11am on Saturdays. It is closed on Sundays. When I first went, I found it odd, that they discouraged me from coming everyday. They said that people found that it worked best if they only came 3 times a week. I was feeling like ~ I had paid for the membership, and I should be able to come as often as I wanted to if I wanted to. I am not able to go every day anyway because of my work schedule, but I thought I should be able to come as often as I could. Have any of you experienced anything like that?

Well, gotta get ready to go there. Wish me luck. Hope I am able to continue this time.

Gayle

weightylady
09-09-2003, 09:28 AM
I have also joined Curves. . . last week as a matter of fact. I have gone twice, but am planning on going almost every day after work. It gives me some "me" time. . . away from hubbie and kids. I have 95 lbs. to lose, can't believe it, but it's true. I was wondering, those of you who have been successful, have you followed any diet plan, or just watched what you ate? I want to be able to exercise to be able to eat whatever I want, in moderation of course.

apreciousone
09-09-2003, 10:34 AM
When I joined Curves in July, I was doing a liquid protein diet; I drank several shakes daily, but did not eat any solid food. When I lost 25 pounds, I started eating food again. I am not following any special diet...I just watch my intake of carbs and fats; I eat a lot of turkey, fish, veggies, and fruit. In my opinion, the key to weight loss is exercise and drinking LOTS of water. I do work out daily, and that has helped tremendously. Good luck!

Carnation
09-09-2003, 02:26 PM
Yes, they do recommend going three times per week BUT...

Suppose you want to go five or six times per week - On M, W, F you would exercise full out on the machines and then "recover" on the recovery stations.

Then on T, Th, Sat. you would go full out on the recovery stations and recover on the machines by going slower and focusing on form.

The reasons they gave for this method is that your muscles need time to heal from the tiny tears that develop in muscle fibers when exercising. By saying three times per week, they are really saying every other day. That's pretty standard in the world of gym work outs.

I hope this helps some. They are not trying to keep anyone away!!! They just want you to get the best result without getting hurt!

I'm in the middle of my second year of Curves membership. I go mainly to keep my joints loose as I have severe degenerative arthritis and cannot do impact stuff.

glynne
09-09-2003, 02:44 PM
Thank you, that helped me to understand better. This is my first time with any "gym" type experience. Because of my work schedule, I can't go every other day. The most I can do is 4 days one week, and 5 the other week, and I have to do some of those in a row.

Again thanks ~ Gayle

Punkin 1
09-09-2003, 07:34 PM
Hello, Sweeties! :wave: Newbie here!

I just found this site today when a friend e-mailed me the article here on Leptoprin. When I saw the word "forums", I thought "Oh, goodie! Let's go find the Curves thread!"

And here we are! I joined on March 12th (the one-year anniversary of my quitting smoking :encore: ) and have lost 40 lbs and 39 inches. I love my Curves!

Sunday my daughter-in-law and I threw a Surprise 40th Birthday Party for my oldest son. (Yikes! :fr: How could I be old enough to have a 40 year old???) But with my wieght loss, and the tan and cute sundress I got in Maui last month, I was getting lots of attention. And I gotta say, I'm looking good! I still have more I want to lose, but this success just builds on itself so I'm staying the course. I feel so much better and have so much energy since I joined.

I had never had a weight problem and weighed 130, at 5'8", when I was 32. All of a sudden, something happened to my metabolism and I started putting on weight. I am the poster girl for "yo-yo dieting" and had determined not to diet again since it always left me heavier with the weight regained. I joined Curves because (aside from now being able to breath since I quit smoking) I had become such a couch potato and I had such terrible low-back pain if I did any walking or housework. I joined to strengthen my back and get into better cardio shape. I was amazed at the loss of weight and inches! In May my sisters and I went to Las Vegas and I had NO BACK PAIN!!!! In Las Vegas there is Lots of Walking involved in anything you do. I was so encouraged by this that I bought the book at Costco and started the diet.

Do you know what four 10 lb bags of potatos in your grocery cart looks like? :smug: I am now surprised when I mention Curves and so many people know about it and know friends who are members.

I'm very happy to have found this board and can't wait to take a look around when I get home tonite.

Ciao for now!

Lynda

Bev
09-10-2003, 05:39 PM
i am thinking about joining curves but I was wondering do you have to do it by bank draft or are you able to pay cash or check monthly. Also I have heard you will only see results if you are a beginner to exercise. I have exercised for years but only low impact and for 30-45 minutes, I also do weights occasionally. DO you think I will still see results? I am at least 30 lbs overweight.

I have never been to a curves is it ok just to walk in and see what it looks like or do you have to make an appointment for your first visit. I have two in my area that are the same distance so I don't know which one to join.

thanks

apreciousone
09-10-2003, 05:53 PM
its_my_life, I'm sure just walking into a Curves to look around is not a problem, but you would need to schedule an appointment if you are interested in joining. You need to find out about payment options; I'm uncertain as to whether they require bank draft only. Some members are losing weight and toning up after years of exercising. I, on the other hand, never exercised and have had wonderful results since joining two months ago . It's really a fun workout, and everyone I have talked to there has had very positive results. Good luck! :)

workinprogress071
09-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Maybe it's not as busy where I live but I just walked in and joined all the same day. I did not make an appointment. I do a bank draft. I pay 29.00 a month. From my experience the initial fee is always cut in half if you give them some friends names and numbers to call. Also they let me come free for a week to try it out to see if it was something I really would do and like. The curves here is sooo nice and easy to deal with. There are 3 or 4 curves in my area...I can use any of them I want. That could be because they are all owned by the same person????? I would like to give you info on results....I only said I joined..LOL, I didn't say I actually went.;) Hope to start soon and stick with it. This thread is really encouraging. Good look.:D

jdg1574
09-12-2003, 12:33 PM
It seems there is a Curves on just about every corner in Nashville. I just have one question. How much is it to join? Are you locked in a year's contract? Jenn

Punkin 1
09-12-2003, 01:42 PM
I go to the Curves in Millbrae, on the SF Peninsula. The rate here is $39 a month and you have to sign up for auto-deduction from your checking or credit card account. That is for a year's contract. If you want to go month-to-month it is $49 a month. To get out of your contract you pay $10 for every month left in your contract, with a maximum of $50.

I have heard of different rates in different parts of the country. It is pretty expensive to live here :dizzy:, so I guess that's why the rate is higher here. Your best bet is to phone or stop by your nearest Curves and they'll tell you about their rates and contracts. If they offer a free week, take it! See if it's a program you'll stick with. Good Luck!

workinprogress071
09-12-2003, 02:12 PM
I am locked into a year.

SJR
09-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi gals and welcome to all the newbies!!

Well, I only got in my 3x minimum this week.:( My husband has been away since Tuesday and with two kids playing sports I don't have much "me" time. Next week is not looking much better, but I will definately somehow get in at least 3x.

Not much new here, getting some much needed rain right now. Hoping that the Nascar race doesn't get rained out though, or my husband won't be home until Tuesday! He works for NHIS when they have races.

Does anyone do the Curves eating plan besides the exercise? I got the paperback member guide when I joined, but does the hard cover book have more details? I know the WW plan like the back of my hand, but with such an hectic schedule my eating is really out of whack. If I get supper in by 8:30pm, I am doing good. I hate eating like that. :mad:

Well, have to do some scout stuff on the computer. Hope everyone is doing well.

qsilver
09-15-2003, 12:38 AM
Cool, a Curves thread!

I'm a Curves addict, and after reading these posts, it sounds like I'm in good company. :) I joined up the end of February when one opened in a town near us. Since then I've lost over 50 inches and since beginning their eating plan have lost 14 lbs. I'm on phase 3 right now, which is the maintain phase you use when you hit a plateau. I haven't been gaining any of it back for 3 weeks, so it should be about time to get back to phase 1 and losing some serious weight!

It was great fun reading about how well all of you are doing and how much you enjoy your Curves experience. Good luck to you all!

Andria

SunnyD57
09-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Hello everyone...

I have my FIRST appointment at a new place just opening up here tomorrow morning at 9:30! Cannot wait to go! I have heard so many wonderful stories about 'Curves' and I look forward to sharing my progress with you all.

May I join in?
:sunny:

weightylady
09-15-2003, 12:15 PM
I joined Curves a week and a half ago. I never got any kind of membership booklet or any information on anything. Where can I get a copy of this diet plan? Is it worth it or is it just basically like weight watchers?

Any information on their eating plan would be great! Thanks alot!

workinprogress071
09-15-2003, 12:46 PM
I got a free copy of the Curves Book when I joined.

apreciousone
09-15-2003, 12:52 PM
SunnyD, you will love Curves! It's a fun workout with definite results.

In response to posts about free member guides or books, I think the member guide should be given when you sign up for membership. After joining, I referred 5 friends to Curves, and they all joined. Even though they joined other locations, I felt I should be given the member guide, but that was not the case. I had to pay $9.95 for the member guide. Not fair, but oh well...

SunnyD57
09-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Thanks Precious... I can't wait to go tomorrow!

Weightylady ~ I saw a hard cover titled "Curves" at Wal-Mart! It had charts and recipes & diet program in it. I didn't get it because I am on the South Beach Program and it sounded very similar... I have lost 12 lbs since July1st on South Beach... slow (compared to some), but forever gone and want to boost it up with exercise --- curves.

Have a great day!

Bev
09-16-2003, 01:04 AM
I was wondering if most people pay yearly with the contract or go monthly without a contract. My biggest problem is that I will not be able to go 3x a week in the summer when the kids are out of schoool so I am trying to decide which one is the best to go with. I will be lucky if I can go 1x a week because of my husbands crazy schedule.

If other moms have the same problem please let me know what you did.

thanks

SunnyD57
09-16-2003, 07:49 AM
Hi BEV (it's_my_life) :wave: I am going this morning at 9:30 for my first appointment at Curves. But from what I understand it's a one year contract with check drafting to get the cheaper rate locked in (here it's $29.00). If I were to go monthly I would pay $10.00 MORE per month ($39.00). I will ask some questions when I go - and see if I could lend a helping hand. But each owner and area may run their Curves a bit differently. I know that this one I am going to is only open from 9am till noon and then 4 - 7 pm. But the one only 13 miles from here has different hours: 7- noon and 3 - 7pm... so it really varies from place to place AND state to state. Is there one you can call close to you? The one I am going to this moning is less then a 1/2 mile away from where I live --- great!

Have a good day! See you at the Dr. Phil thread ;)

SunnyD57
09-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Hi!

I am back from my appointment with Curves...

The fee's INCLUDE TAX, so make sure you bring enough $ with you to cover that at your first visit. Also... I got this great book from them titled "Curves Member Guide" with graphs, charts, area's to log your own information and food information --- great book! You get it FREE WITH 3 REFERRALS or pay $7.00 for the book W/O Referrals.

I will be starting at three times a week, but may go more often if I can... beginning tomorrow morning.

Okay---gotta go for now. Hope I have helped some.

Punkin 1
09-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Good start Sunny! :cb: I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. The atmosphere at my Curves is so supportive. There are women of all different sizes, and all are there for the same purpose: to improve our health and self-esteem. I'm rooting for you, and for all the other women on this thread! Go, girls! We truly do have the power to amaze ourselves!:cheers:

Lynda

SunnyD57
09-17-2003, 11:18 AM
Thank-you so much Lynda!

I went this morning at 9:00 for my FIRST WORKOUT...
LOVED IT! Loved the people and the music! My fav ~ 1950's!! So sool :cool: Can't wait till Friday. Can't go tomorrow, already made plans :( but will be there bright and early Friday morning!

We have 8 machines, but I heard people talking... there are more machines. How many more? Does anyone know how many machines are out there all together? From what the talk was I am guessing at 12.

I cannot believe I was in and out of there in 35 minutes! I don't work, so I came home to do my stretching-out.
Really Fun!

Bev
09-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Hi everyone, well I just called curves and I have my first appointment on friday morning. I am so nervous now. I am very shy so this is a big step for me. at my curves it is 29.00 per month, if you do the year contract prepay it is 10 % off and you can pay in cash.

Do most people do the year contract or monthly without a contract? I am not sure which one to do. I plan on going 3 times a week except for june and july and I will just go when I can ( kids are out of school)

Sunny- do you feel like you recieved a good workout? I have lost motivation to exercise at home so i am hoping this will help me. Plus I have plaantar fascitis ( inflammation of the tissues of the bottom of your feet and bad knees so I can;t do alot of normal aerobics. and because of this my dr is always telling to do weight training but I am not a normal gym person. Sunny how much was your tax for curves.

bev

Punkin 1
09-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Wow, Sunny! I'm so happy you are enjoying it! And, bev, you've taken a big step in the right direction! I'm sure that everyone is nervous at first. I know I was, and I'm anything but shy! LOL ;) Anything new can be intimidating. But remember that each of the others were new at one time and the day after your first Curves workout there will be another newbie with her first time. I always make it a point to say welcome to anyone I see going through the training on her first day. The thing I noticed is how soon I felt comfortable. Everyone is just so nice and supportive. You'll do great!

Sunny, when I first joined my Curves had ten machines, and it now has twelve. When I was in Las Vegas I went to the nearest Curves and they had eight. At eight or ten we went around three times. Now with twelve we go around twice. :dizzy: Funny, it still takes the same amount of time.

I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this site, forum, thread and the terrific ladies who come here! :love: I have printed out some of the recipes and want to try them this weekend. I do a modified Curves diet and they'll fit right in with my meal plans.

Thanks for the suppport ladies! Lynda

SunnyD57
09-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Hello Bev :)

I was very nervous too! Very --- I chatter :blah: when I am nervous. So I just kept taking slow deep breaths and felt tons better and calmer. It's TRUE what Lynda said... the ladies are so nice and all different shapes & sizes and are just as nervous as you are. Everyone there this morning were all smiles! It was great! I really do think that you have made the BIGGEST step --- the phone call. You will do great. They will work with you and all your ailments, just let them know, okay. It's not like a typical aerobic workout - that's why I love it! I did Jazzercise for 15 years! And have bad joints from it. That's why I chose to join Curves, I need exercise that is lower impact on my joints. This is it! You will love it Bev... I know you will! YES! I do think I received a great workout. It was more then I was doing at home - nothing! :dizzy: I just wore a blk stretch pant with a long Tee & a good pair of shoes... nothing special - nice!

I paid our area tax... so it will depend on what you pay there I guess. Reg. sign-up fee is $149.00 + $29.00 (yr contract), but because of the promo --- I PAID $49.00 (Fee) + $29.00 + tax. First Payment Total was $83.07 and because I went with the year contract I will have $30.89 ($29.00 + tax) put onto my Visa. The place here took a Credit Card if you don't want to have it taken from your checking... at least that was one of my options. So don't be afraid to ask questions., okay. I also went with my Medical List (yep, :o I said list)... I have had many surgeries, so I always keep a copy of dates, surgeries, Dr's & phone #'s & Emergency Phone #'s... I went prepared. I will be thinking of you Friday!! Keep in touch!

I think it's wonderful here too, Lynda... have met so many WONDERFUL people here!!

Cassandra B
09-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Hey Sunny!!! I am so glad to hear that you had fun at Curves. I knew you would. Those inches will be coming off before you know it. I didnt go yesterday or today. I know I am being bad. I will get back in to it tomorrow. I promise.

cassandra

Bev
09-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Ok since I have my first appointment on friday what do I wear. Should it be normal shorts or the gym type of shorts. I am even buying new sneakers so I am ready but scared.

Thanks
Bev

SunnyD57
09-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Thanks Cassandra :) I hope they do come off... I am one sore pup tonight! :stars: Feel them muscles that I haven't used in awhile - that is for sure! Great seeing you! It's been awhile... ;)

:wave: Bev... I saw ladies this morning in regular shorts, but as I said earlier ~ I just wore black stretch pant with an oversized Tee and a good pair of sneakers. That's all. Nothing fancy or expensive. Just wear something you can bend or move in comfortably. You will be just fine. Wish I could go with you, so you wouldn't be so frightened... but when the Lord has you by the hand, you are never alone.

You will be fine, you'll see. And you will have the best time.
Take Care now...

Cassandra B
09-17-2003, 11:13 PM
Bev, like Sunny said it really doesnt matter what you wear as long as your comfy. We have some that come in nurses outfits and some in slacks, and some in spandex. Just what ever you have is fine. I do think the new sneakers is a good idea. I have seen this one lady work out bare footed!!!!! They usually have good music. The best is when it is 140 beats per min. That really gets you going.

Good luck everyone!!!
Cassandra

Bev
09-17-2003, 11:45 PM
Hi, yes I plan on wearing good shoes. RIght now I am looking at new balance 605 to use at curves. I just can;t decide what sneakers to get .I have such wide feet that it is hard to find shoes.

qsilver
09-18-2003, 12:19 AM
Hey everyone :)

Sunny, you sound way into your new Curves experience. Good for you! It is really fun, isn't it. :) If you are getting sore, you really need to do the full stretching afterwards. Also, make sure to use the recovery stations for actually recovering. The other mistake I made at first was to not rest my head back against the equipment. I ended up with such a stiff neck before I learned!

A few have compared hours at their Curves. Ours is 6-1 and 4-7 with 8-11 on Saturday. Our owners are such sweeties. I had a cold and didn't show up for a week, and Judy called me at home to see how I was doing. :)

As far as discussion about what shoes to wear, it doesn't really matter from what I can see unless you are planning on working out super hard on the recovery stations. We have a lot of women who wear stocking feet. Quite a few wear sandals. The rest wear sneakers. I have the same foot problem as Bev and a knee still healing from a partially torn ACL, so I worry about good footwear normally. I wear Birkenstocks to work out there, and I haven't had any problems.

Clothing is also kind of a come as you are thing. I show up in workout clothes or work clothes, just depending on where I'm headed or where I'm coming from. All you need is something that allows enough freedom of movement.

Ok, this turned out to be a pretty long post, so I'd better get outta here! Take care all. :)

Andria

Punkin 1
09-18-2003, 12:24 PM
We are all sooo with you, Bev! :grouphug: Wear anything you are comfy in. And be sure to rush over here and tell us about your experience after your first workout Friday!

Gee, I am amazed at how many people I know are either joining Curves or know someone who is a member. When I first joined last March no one had heard of it. I am on the Board of Directors of my condominium Homeowners Association. Last month I missed our meeting because I was away on vacation. Last night at our monthly meeting I learned that every woman at the table, two other board members and our complex manager, are now happy Curves members!!:goodvibes

I had a nice talk with Marion, my Curves owner, and her sister (who works there) Tuesday. We were talking about how well I have done on the program, how good I feel and how much it meant to me to be in such better shape than when I started. Marion said that she and her husband feel humbled when their members tell them how happy they are and how their lives have changed. She said they had no idea, when they invested in this as a business, that it would be such a rewarding experience for them. We both got a little teary.

Keep up the good work Ladies. We Are Truly Amazing!! :encore:

5'8", SW 224, CW180, GW150. More than halfway there!! Hurray!!

Lynda

Cassandra B
09-18-2003, 08:02 PM
Bev, I think you will like the new balance. I have the new balance 336 and I like them. I also wear ankle braces. My ankles are not used to being ran on everyday, but then again I always try to burn up those recovery stations.
Happy Curving!!

SunnyD57
09-18-2003, 08:22 PM
BEV ~ I have to agree... I have New Balance shoes and really like them. Have gotten that brand for years now... a good shoe! Just a quick note to let you know that I will be thinking of you tomorrow while I am at Curves for my workout @ 9:00am... what time is your appointment??

Please come back and fill us in as soon as you can. We'll all be anxiously awaiting to hear all about it. Take a deep breath in slow and easy and enjoy! You are not ever alone ;)

I also want those in the path of the Hurricane to know that I will be holding them in my prayers that it passes uneventfully with no injuries to anyone.

God Bless!
And a very Good night
for everyone!

Bev
09-18-2003, 10:37 PM
Hi everyone, well I am in Nc ( inland not on the coast) and we are lucky we are just having some heavy rain ( at time) and wind.

My appointment at curves is at 9:30 and I am ready.

bev

glynne
09-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Hi Everyone,

I feel bad, I haven't made it to Curves at all this week. Hopefully next week things will work out better.

Next Friday is my day to get weighed and measured. I think I will have made some progress.

Like Bev, inland in NC here ~ raining and some wind. Glad I am not on the coast.

Take care all ~ Gayle

Bev
09-19-2003, 04:49 AM
Gayle, it is nice to meet you I am from High point , we are neighbors. Bev

glynne
09-19-2003, 07:42 AM
Good morning everyone!

Bev, I'll be thinking of you this morning. Try not to be nervous ~ the people have been really nice when I have gone. I am pretty shy too, but everyone is nice, and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. High Point ~ cool, that is right down the road from me.

Sunny, where in Ohio are you from? My family is up there ~ between Cleveland and Akron. I am headed up there next month to visit them.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Take care all ~ Gayle

SunnyD57
09-19-2003, 08:25 AM
Well a very Good Morning GAYLE! I live about 45 min. North of Akron... small world isn't it!!
Have a great visit with your family next month ;)
Boy, are we ever getting allot of rain from this hurricane here!
I went out to get the paper and everywhere I could see was flooded with rivers of water. So glad to hear you and Bev are safe!

BEV... just want you to know that I am still thinking of you, sweetie :^: You will do just fine and probably say to yourself afterwards... "what was I so nervous about?!" I was so nervous I told them I was 47! I am not 47 till February!!!! My husband says I am mentally preparing myself for another year closer to 50 --- it is to laugh ;)

So you'll be okay, I bet you remember how old you are :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't forget us :)

A very GOOD Morning to everyone!
My thoughts are with you...
Blessings for another day of success.

Christian
09-19-2003, 09:13 AM
hey guys!
Boy has this thread been a hoppin ;)
Thats wonderful!!! :balloons:

Hey Sunny!!!!! Great to see that your here :wave:

Well I am still going everyday to Curves and only miss Sundays and that is rest day ;) so I dont do a whole lot of anything but spend time with the girls, oh and I did miss one day this week on acount of my brother in law had the stomach flu and I had to babysit my 3 mth old nephew... but other that that I am there :D
I will have to check here more often as I have been reading up and you guys are a great support group :angel: Well I am off to clean house and then get right to Curves when they open, I have found if I get there first thing in the morning they play Praise and Worship music and I LOVE it ;) :wave:

Bev
09-19-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone, well I had to cancel my appointment at curves today because they closed school for the kids today. I rescheduled it for monday morning at 9:30. I am really looking forward to it. I am hoping it will really motivate to to exercise. It doesn't even really bother me that it is 6 miles away and will take me about 14 minutes to get there.

Bev

SunnyD57
09-19-2003, 01:48 PM
Hi CHRISTIAN! Great to see you too! You are missed at the Encouragers ;)

WoW! You go to Curves everyday, Christie! You and Cassandra both. Not me, not yet... three x's a week is going to be fine with me for a start... when I reach that first plateau, I will add another day and then at the next plateau, add a fifth day... I think that after I have done that I should be where I want to be and then going 5 days a week will keep me there... you think?

I went this morning and met three new ladies. We will all be going on Mon - Wed - Fri mornings. This progam is so great! I feel like I have something to get up for again :)

Awww BEV~ Bummer. But I am so glad to hear that you set a new appointment right away. And HAPPY to hear that you are looking forward to going - a huge step for you. :bravo:
Keep us informed, okay.

Hi GAYLE! Thanks for the PM... sent one to you too ;)

Hey there CASSANDRA Did you go to Curves like you said? You have done so well already - can't wait to see how I do @ my first weigh-in & measure!

Thanks for the advice ANDRIA! ;)

Hello LYNDA! Hope you are having a good day today! Loved your sharing... I know "my life" has changed already and I am only two days in at Curves ~ so cool!

Have a wonderful day today Ladies!!!

Cassandra B
09-19-2003, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I actually went Thursday. I didnt go today because Todd was home early to go to the dentist and I wanted to take care of him. We are both really spoiled!!!! Glad everyone is having fun at Curves. I am supposed to measured again on the 22nd but I am scared. I dont know why. I guess I am just scared of failure, plus I ate a chocolate utopia from Dairy Queen last night and I wish I had a Twix now. WHATS WRONG WITH ME???? Time to get on that tread mill I guess.
Well, yall be good and keep Curving.
Cassandra

shadesOme
09-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Hey gang.. Where have I been?? new faces.. YEAH.. welcome.

Bev, you will like it, like the girls said wear what your comfortable in.. I used baggy workout pants and baggy tshirts.. mostly, dont forget the duct tape (sports bra).. LOL.

I use Newbalance 856 (think its this) the trail running shoes. yes I'm a closet runner too.. :D I have wide feet also and find that they fit great. New Balance makes most of their shoes in wide for women. I did buy mens and havent had a problem at all even with the heels not fitting.. Love em, have to get a new pair soon.

Here's well wishes for the ones on the coast, hope your all ok..

:angel:

SJR
09-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Wow, this thread has taken off!!:bravo:

Got in my 3x this week. Hopefully next week I can get in more. I have to go a minimum of 3x or my insurance company doesn't reimburse me. I really like that!! Keeps me a bit faithful.

Sneaked a peek at the scale this am and I am the same. That is pretty good with my eating scedule as of late.

I also wear New Balance cuz I have wide feet. They are the only sneakers I wear.

Bev - I was nervous at first too, but quickly got over that. I can admit though I don't like it if someone I know is there. I really do sweat and breath heavy. I tend to jog the first time around and then when I start sweating (or can't keep up with my heartbeat on the counting:o ) I just walk on the recovery stations.

Well, time to hit the shower and run some errands. Have a super weekend.

Bev
09-20-2003, 10:45 AM
ok ladies, I have my new sneakers and my duct tape ( sports bra) so I am ready for monday. Hopefully we don;t get any bad storms or anything to keep me from going. Bev

SunnyD57
09-20-2003, 11:35 AM
http://www.trishastreasures.org/TeacupFairies/MD.gifBEV ~ Now - now :nono:... no thinking like that... You will go on Monday and you will wonder why you did not go sooner... I assure you ;)

Boy-o-Boy :o ! Did we ever get a storm from the hurricane! It headed right for us in NE, OH! Got over 2" of rain yesterday and very high winds... but looks fine this morning --- even see some :sunny: :)

Have a super day!

SunnyD57
09-20-2003, 11:54 AM
http://www.trishastreasures.org/TeacupFairies/PinkETc.gifA very GOOD MORNING to everyone!

Glad to meet you SHERI & DANA :) I have so enjoyed everyone on the thread... such encouragement! I am very new to Curves myself and have enjoyed it so very much! My girlfriend has wanted me to join for over a year now, but the place was too far away and I wouldn't have been able to go during the winter months. NOW... we have a brand new Curves that opened up this past Monday only 3 min. away from my home & less then 1/2 mi !! I went on Tuesday to sign up and began this Wednesday... love it! And am looking forward to going again on Monday morning! What a great program to begin before the winter months when it gets all gloomy and snowy out. Curves will help keep me out of the dumps during those months... I live in the 'snowbelt' and believe it or not - get more snow then my floks do in Maine! And barely see the sun :(

Anyway, I am a happy camper to have joined in BOTH places :) :D :)

Cassandra B
09-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Ok, I am jelous. I live in Georgia and we never, ever get any snow. We make a big deal out of just a flurry. I think that picture of Squirty in the snow is the most we had in years and it only lasted for 2 days. If it is gonna get cold bring on the snow!!!!!!

SunnyD57
09-20-2003, 01:18 PM
http://www.trishastreasures.org/TeacupFairies/4thTCblnk3.gifGood Afternoon CASSANDRA :lol: I must say that when it snows in December most here just love it {me too!}... especially on Christmas eve, absolutely beautiful! A Wonderland.

But by mid January you have had about enough (well, except for the skiers ~ they never get enough.) But you begin to really miss the sun and hate all the shoveling that has to be done. Although, this year - I am going to use it as an exta workout or two ;)

qsilver
09-20-2003, 08:02 PM

I got my 3x in at Curves this last week. :) I also walk with my dad several times a week. We only managed two walks this last week, but hopefully we'll get in one more tonight.

Just something to share about my Curves experience. When I started there, I was just hoping to lose some inches. I didn't have a clue what quality it would return to my life. Since I messed up my ACL I've been gaining weight slowly. I was already around 280 lbs. at that time, but without being able to walk 2-4 miles a day, my weight was just climbing. The more sedentary I became, the more my knee would hurt and the more sedentary I would become. It was becoming a really vicious circle. My high weight was 339. I couldn't walk 1/4 a mile without having to put my leg up for hours afterwards.

I started Curves and felt different almost immediately. My energy levels soared, and so did my attitude. :) I couldn't get one of the machines into position by myself at first, but within two weeks I could do it by myself. I was completely sold on the program long before my first measuring session.

I just feel so good after every workout! I've been to plenty of gyms and tried out so many different programs, but this one is a total keeper.

Just thought I'd share. :)

Andria

SJR
09-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Cassandra - you are welcome to NH in the winter anytime. We got a ton of snow last year, and are predicted to get a whole bunch in February of next year. Of course, we are snowmobilers, so the more the better for us. We also are lucky because my husband has a snow plow and we live close to where we work where we have a bucket loader. Two years ago he had to bring it home twice because we got over 2 feet in two different storms and there was just nowhere left to plow the snow. Of course, two feet where you live would probably shut you town down for days!!

SunnyD57 - My mom and sister lived in Cleveland for a few years about 16 years ago.

SunnyD57
09-20-2003, 11:09 PM
Hi ANDRIA ~ Thanks for sharing! Cool Curves story :cp: "You have come a long way baby!" Good for you! :bravo:

I hope to lose another 15lbs by Christmas (short term goal) and I just began Curves on Wednesday {9/17}. Feeling it today after just two workouts... I may be trying too hard.

Hello SHERI ~ I live another hour EAST of Cleveland... bet we go neck and neck in inches when it comes to snow! Been to VT in the winter and boy do they get it too! We've seen that 2' and then some... I know what you mean (!) especially when it comes to plowing or shoveling, you are lucky to have a large plow, we just have a little one.

Where do ya put that snow after so much falls --- that is the big dilemma. I KNOW!
We'll send it on over to Cassandra this year ;) :lol: :lol:

Have a good evening ladies!
Till tomorrow...

qsilver
09-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Hey, I'll take that snow! We get so little this far south in my state, and I miss it. Used to work at a ski resort, and just couldn't get enough of the white stuff. :)

Ummm... I'd better go try and rescue a freaked out cat. She is tearing through the house with some piece of paper stuck to her.

Andria

apreciousone
09-21-2003, 05:21 PM
I continue to lose inches since joining Curves. I am soooo amazed at that! I was doing a liquid protein diet for three months and lost 37 pounds. Those kinds of fad diets are really just a quick and temporary thing; if you're not careful, you can gain it all back and then some.

Last week I joined Weight Watchers and am anxious for my first weigh in on Tuesday. Hopefully, I will have lost weight instead of gaining. Losing would be a huge incentive for me at this point.

Curves has been wonderful for me ~ I love it and look forward to going each time.

Good luck to all of you, and let's keep this message board going!

Bev
09-21-2003, 06:30 PM
all this talk about snow is making me cold. i lived in North Dakota for 10 years so I have had enough of snow to last me a lifetime. Now that I am in NC we get more ice then snow. So I don't know which one is better.

Ok ladies be thinking about me tomorrow - I have my rescheduled appointment for 9:30 am.

one question though- do you actually workout on your first appointment- I was wondering if I should where my sports bra tomorrow.

bev

SunnyD57
09-21-2003, 07:16 PM
:wave: Hi BEV!

I see that you are #27 on the Dr. Phil Intro thread ~ good for you! I am so excited about it beginning tomorrow. I will be at Curves at 9:00 tomorrow myself; then when I come home I will check to see all that went on while I was gone.

As far as your first day: I didn't work out the first day, but I could have. So if you want to they will take you through your first workout on the day you sign up. Being my place was brand new, the owner wasn't sure at the time I called to schedule if I would be able to. So when I went there I didn't go prepared to workout. If I had - I coulda :)

So go as if you will wrokout and have a great time!
I will be thinking of you!
Come back as soon as you can and fill us in, okay!!!! :^:
God Bless!

SunnyD57
09-22-2003, 01:45 PM
It's me... pesty SunnyD...

Just wondering how you did on your first day at Curves?
Sure do hope it all went well for you!!
I went this morning and had a super good workout.

I anxiously await to hear from you :^:

Punkin 1
09-22-2003, 02:09 PM
What's snow? :lol:

Here's a little weight loss suggestion that works for me and my sister. I had a dial scale and it wasn't very accurate. So I bought a scale that is digital and measures in half pounds. Just watching the weight come off a half pound at a time is encouraging! I gave that one to my sister and bought one that measures in tenths of a pound!

I, too, am anxious to hear how Bev liked her workout today!

I just love this thread and all the lovely ladies that share here. Thanks!

Lynda :love:

Bev
09-22-2003, 02:40 PM
Hi everyone, well I joined curves today but I didn't workout. They schedule an appointment for your first workout. My first workout will be on wednesday morning. I am really excited about getting things going.

Ok one question when I was doing the paperwork to join they asked me to pick a size as my goal. What actually is this for? I am in a 16 now but i picked 14 and I was wondering if if I should tell them to change that to a 10. If it really doesn't make a difference i will not say anything.

have a great day everyone

bev

Punkin 1
09-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Hi, Bev!

Doesn't matter about the goal. You can change it at any time, so think about where you'd like to set it and tell her Wednesday when you go in.

I'm glad you're excited and hope you are feeling a little less nervous and shy. If it's anything like mine you'll feel comfortable in no time.

Lynda

Rosiee
09-22-2003, 03:06 PM
Oh good a Curves forum! I usually check out the PCOS forum since I have that problem but am just finishing up my free week at Curves and saw this and of course had to read every thread there was. :) I think I have actually found something I will be able to stick with and enjoy in Curves. I have heel spurs bad and I didnt have any problems doing their workout and it was actually fun!
I am trying to decide to either go month to month or go ahead and sign up for the year. If I do the year contract it will only be $22.50 a month which sounds like the better deal to me.
Keep posting because ya'll have really motivated me!

SunnyD57
09-22-2003, 03:07 PM
:cp: Yeah BEV!

And I agree with Lynda (HI LYNDA :wave: ) I wouldn't worry over the size goal thing... I use to wear a 12 and went by that, but told her my goal was a size 14/16 right now. I would be thrilled to be in a 14 again!!!

Sounds like you will get the individual attention you deserve when you go back on WEDNESDAY...

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it went. :)

SunnyD57
09-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Welcome Rosiee!!! :wave: You got a great price at $22.50 a month!
I pay $29.00 + tax monthly and signed for the year. W/O the contract it's $39.00 monthly + tax. Feel like it would keep me motivated to sign the year.

Up to you... luck!

Bev
09-22-2003, 03:20 PM
my price per month was 29.00 and there was no taxes added. i think on monday I will tell her to change my goal to a size 10 ( a girl can dream can't she). I know I would like to weigh 145 but I am not sure what size that is.

bev

Punkin 1
09-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi, Rosiee! Jump right in, the more the merrier!

My owner's sister just got back from two weeks training at the Curves headquarters in Texas. She really learned a lot about the physiology of diet and nutrition. She says the mother of the founder of Curves died of obesity when he was a child or young teen. So he has dedicated his life to helping women find healthy ways to keep fit. Lucky for us!!

:wave::sunny:

Rosiee
09-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome SunnyD! The $22.50 is if I pay it all at once which I thought would also make me keep going since having to pay for something ahead of time *should* be a motivator, which when it comes to exercise isnt always the case, but I think with the program being so much fun and having these post to read will help alot!

Rosiee
09-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Punkin 1...I heard some of the instructors at Curves saying they had gone through the training also and that they worked them hard there. I got the impression that there are different levels of training but I could be wrong..u know how it is when u listen to someone elses conversation (shame on me) hehe

SunnyD57
09-22-2003, 03:31 PM
Rosiee... They never offered a 'pay-in-full all at once'. I would have done that... well, now that's a bummer :dizzy:

That's okay, cuz I went this morning and just loved it! I worked for Jazzercise as a Registrar for 15 years (and now have very tender joints from it!) and just going to workout and not have to do anything but take care of "me" is GREAT!!! I have the best time chatting with the ladies while I work out :)

Great Info, Lynda... gonna tell them on Wednesday when I go.

Rosiee
09-22-2003, 03:45 PM
SunnyD..I go in the mornings and sometimes I am the only one there except for the instructor so I dont see many ppl to chat with but that is ok cuz I am in and out fast. I tried to get my friend to go but she wouldnt. Wait till I lose weight and she doesnt, then she will be wanting to go. It took alot for me to walk into Curves all by myself cuz I am pretty shy and of course self consious about my weight but u get to the point where u have to do it yourself or it will never get done. So needless to say I a excited about Curves and excited I took that first step on my own. :)

Bev
09-22-2003, 04:01 PM
I prepayed this morning and I received a 10% discount which brought my monthly payment $26.10 so paying 22.50 is a deal.

SunnyD- I had to ask them about prepaying for the year, they didn't offer it.

bev

SunnyD57
09-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Me too. Went by myself. I don't have any family here in Ohio and all my firends have jobs now, so it was one of the reasons for me joining... I missed being around people. When I go in the morning the owner is suppose to open at 9:00, but I got there at ten of this morning and there were 10 gals already there and working out! Sue, the owner, didn't even have a moment's time to put away the vaccum cleaner! :lol:

We all would like to see the place open at 8:00 --- we'll see.

SunnyD57
09-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Does anyone here have a problem getting in all the water recommended? :p I still do after all this time. I don't drink much in the morning, but after lunch till around 7ish I try to get it in. When I do - I feel better, but it's just not easy for me. My hubby on the other hand drinks it and then some without a problem!

Thanx Bev --- Oh well...

Rosiee
09-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Bev..well she quoted me $22.50 so I hope she was right. Since I am still on my free week I will join wednesday so guess I will see for sure then.

Rosiee
09-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Our water is so bad here that we can only drink bottled water and if I run out of it then i dont drink any at all which i know is bad. I hate water anyway but if i can keep it real real cold then i can drink what i need to.

qsilver
09-23-2003, 12:45 AM

Sunny, I'm a big water drinker, but it did take a while to build up to it. I remember how I used to end up running to the bathroom every half hour at first! I know what you mean about feeling better when you do get it all in. I can really tell when I don't.

Rosiee, bottled water gets really expensive, doesn't it. I keep one of the Brita Fill & Go's at my work, and that helps a lot.

I was at Curves bright and early this morning. I was soooo tired when I walked in, but it always lifts my spirits and gets me ready to face the day. :) I'm thinking about dropping in tomorrow, but we'll have to see what the work schedule looks like.

Andria

SunnyD57
09-23-2003, 07:28 AM
http://members.aol.com/gardenmail/irbird.gifA very GOOD Morning Ladies!

Thank you ANDRIA... need the encouagement when it comes to the water. At one time I was doing pretty good about getting it all in and then some, but began to slack off when I got busy. Don't want to stop to go potty all the time. But I DO feel so much better! I 'think' clearer and my muscles feel better when I do. I'll just make sure I set 6 - 7 bottles in the ref all set for the day (prepare more). I buy a 6 pk of bottled water then use my Britta Filter to refil them for the week. At the end of the week I buy another 6 pk. A little cheaper that way. Good to see you again :^: !

Hi BEV ~ How are you feeling today? I bet you are looking forward to getting started at Curves ;)

Morning ROSIEE ~ How are you doing today?

Hi LYNDA ~ Hope you are doing well today ;)

What ever your plans I pray it is a day
FILLED with 'New Hope' and a 'Refreshed Joy' for life!

http://members.aol.com/gardenmail/irchgr8.gif

God Bless!!

Bev
09-23-2003, 08:55 AM
good morning everyone,

yesterday I had to take my daughter ( who is 10) to the dentist to get 3 teeth pulled. They were baby teeth and she will be getting braces soon so they need the permanant teeth. Would you believe they bleed through the night and when she went to brush this morning they started bleeding again. So know I am waiting until the dentist opens to see if they want me to bring her in or not. I have never known teeth to bleed to much.

bev

weightylady
09-23-2003, 03:38 PM
Well, here it is, the second week I joined Curves (last week) and I only went once. I came down with this nasty sinus headache that had me all stuffed up and I just couldn't go. Actually, I probably could have, but I'll use any excuse not to go. I'm pathetic!!

But, today, I am going right after work. My husband has school, the kids will be at the sitter's an extra half hour and I'll get my workout in. I have my 15 year high school reunion in November and I want to fit into my size 16 navy blue dress suit that I have. I haven't worn it in like 6 years. I am a size 20, but I really want to get into that outfit for the reunion because I know I looked really nice in it. Is that a good goal to have or is that unrealistic?

We'll see, I just have to get my eating habits under better control. I have a weakness for chips with my sandwiches, I guess I should buy those baked ones, instead of the real ones.
Goodness, so many rules!

Hope everyone is feeling well!

SunnyD57
09-23-2003, 04:40 PM
My hubby and I got some sad news :cry: and that's why I haven't come back to post to you all today(sorry).

A very Dear friend, Miss Dottie, passed away at 90 yrs young! She walked her T-mill and road her exercise bike every single day till just 4 weeks ago when she took ill again. She was dying of cancer & has been for many years. Ever have someone just "light-up" when they saw YOU come in the room? That was Dottie! Whenever she would see me she would say "there's my sweetheart... how are you doing precious" Never wanting to speak of her problems and always there for yours.

A Precious Gem! She will be so missed by so many! :cry:
But now the Lord gets to enjoy her company and he surely will!

Sorry this is such a bummer note... I know she's in a better place.

LADY ~ I think it's wonderful to set goals and well you should! I was thinkin' (do that once in awhile :dizzy: )... maybe you should try to be realistic with yourself & you should go out and buy a nice "NEW dress or outfit" for this big adventure in November. Wait till you get fairly close to the date and see what size you will need and go from there. I just don't want you to crash with disappointment if the 16 doesn't happen. What do you think?

I just know how I'd get (really bummed out!) - but the last time I had a big function to go to I did just that, waited. Then I went to Fashion Bug and found the nicest outfit to wear and felt comfortable and had a great time.

Just a thought for you.
Would love to see you have a great time!
They say that the first thing you notice on someone
is their "Smile :)" Luck!

BEV ~ Did you ever find out why your DD was bleeding so much? Is she all right!??

Well, I must get into the shower & get ready...
I have a friend to go visit.
God Bless!

Bev
09-23-2003, 04:49 PM
I took my daughter to the dentist this morning and she is ok. Bev

Rosiee
09-24-2003, 12:16 AM
SunnyD..so sorry to hear about your friend. She sounds like she was a very special person.

SunnyD57
09-24-2003, 08:18 AM
ROSIEE ~ Thank you so much! She was very Special and will be very missed. We have her funeral this morning @ 10 that my hubby Joe will be singing for at her request.

BEV ~ Just wanted you to know that I would be thinking of you today being it is your first workout at Curves... have fun!

To everyone else... Go out and make it a great day!
God Bless!

glynne
09-24-2003, 09:08 AM
Good morning everyone!

I am feeling so guilty ~ I didn't make it to Curves at all last week. I haven't been yet this week. The week is not over yet. I have to work tonight and tomorrow, hopefully will get there on Friday and Saturday. I work the night shift, and I have been having such a hard time sleeping on my nights off. I end up being awake half the night, then falling asleep in the day time and wasting my day off. So frustrating. There is so much stuff I need/want to get done, and I can't stay awake to do it.

I really need the exercise. Eating carefully will only take me so far. I had been losing slowly but steadly, and now the scale is going the wrong way ~ starting to creep back up ~ distressing! I was down to 204 and not very far from "onederland".

Well, gotta go get some stuff done. Hope you all are doing well.

Take care ~ Gayle

Bev
09-24-2003, 09:50 AM
well i am off to my first curves workout.

SunnyD- I am also very sorry about your friend.

bev

fern
09-24-2003, 10:58 AM
Do you pay for Curves by the month or week? Do you find them supportive?

Bev
09-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Hi everyone, well I am back from my workout and it was great. I don't think I have ever sweat so much as I did today. I don;t know what I was so worried about. Some people talked during their workout but most just concentrated on their workout. Our curves has 8 machines ( it has only been opened for about a year.) I am going to go back thursday and friday so I can get in my three times this week. I didn;t find any of the machines difficult to do.

Fern- you can pay monthly or prepay for the whole year. I find the people to be really supportive. I am not a gym type person ( I am on the shy side) but I think I am really going to like going.

Does anyone know the difference between the members guide and the curves hard cover book. I didn;t get the members quide because I didn;t give them three names but I was wondering if I should buy these books. Right now I am doing ww but I am thinking about incorporating low carb with it.

have a great day bev

Bev
09-24-2003, 12:23 PM
one more thing - I did change my goal to size 10 - I figured a girl can dream can;t see ( I think I was a size 10 for about 1 year years ago.) So that is 21 inches difference from what I am now. I would be happy with a 12 though also

bev

weightylady
09-24-2003, 02:10 PM
Sunny, sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts are with you.

Bev. . . I think my right thigh is about a size 10. Good luck on your goal!

I did go yesterday right after work and am going to try to go today right after work. I really pushed myself yesterday on the recovery stations, I was sweating so much! I'm going to take it easier on them today and focus on the machines.

Take care y'all.

kari_berry
09-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Hello, I thought I'd chime in on this thread since I recently joined curves. (I'm assuming this thread is all about curves) :)

So far I have been LOVING curves. When I first signed up, I was a little put off by the woman who was "helping" me. She wasn't friendly towards me, so I actually went home and thought about it. I figured, I'm not buying her, I'm buying a membership to Curves, so I went back, talked with another lady, who by the way, was very nice to me, and I signed up.

The next day they did the work out with me, to show me the ropes, and I've gone the last two days in a row by myself. It's so much fun!

At first, during the work out, I didn't feel much of anything, but once you are done, you know you've done something good! I am going to try and continue going 5 - 6 days per week.

Our local Curves is open Monday through Saturday, and they have NEW convenient late hours. It's great. Joining was the best thing I've done for myself in years!

Well, I look forward to getting to know many of you all!

~ Kari ~

Rosiee
09-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Kari....I also recently joined Curves and like you I love it. no pressure, no lines, and especially no MEN around. This is one place I feel I will actually stick to doing.

aprilbride04
09-24-2003, 10:43 PM
Went yesterday and again today for the first time since Spring. I didn't want to work out today and went anyways - glad I did - feel better. I can already feel my muscles just from 2 workouts.

When I joined Curves last year I could definitely tell that I was going - I felt great! I want to get back into that committment and feel good again - and see MY CURVES!!!

You girls all motivate me and if anyone wants a Curves buddy, I really need one!!

Thanks!

aprilbride04:(

apreciousone
09-24-2003, 11:05 PM
aprilbride, There are many times that I just don't feel like going to Curves, but I make myself go. Once I'm there and get going, I'm soooo glad I went and I always feel so good after my workout! It's amazing what a difference that 30 minutes of exercising can make. So the bottom line here is: Go even if you don't feel like it. We will be glad we did!!!

Punkin 1
09-24-2003, 11:34 PM
Hello, Dahlings! :wave:

I've been out of touch for a couple of days because I had to have a little cyst removed from my right eyelid and have babied myself for a couple of days. Doesn't hurt too much now, but I have to put antibacterial ointment on it several times a day so I have taken the rest of the week off with sick time. I really don't have to but I can't put on eye makeup and just I don't leave home without it! Before you'all think I'm abnormally vain, I've gotta tell you that I'm of Danish stock and my eyebrows and eyelashes are blonde. So without makeup I have no FACE!! :lol:

I'll go to Curves tommorrow with my sunglasses on. ;) Hee, hee!

The water thing is easier for me when I'm at work than on the weekends. Everytime I get up to use the bathroom I drink my glass of water down, and refill it on the way back to my desk. Because I'm drinking all that water, I'm assured to need a bathroom break several times a day. When I'm home for the weekend it's harder to keep up with it. But I see that it really makes a difference. When I get in my 8 glasses I find that I am up several times a night "disposing" of that day's liquids.

Thanks and love to all the regular posters here and a Big Welcome to the new posters. I find this site a great inspiration! If I can help anyone to be encouraged by my 45 lb :fr: weight loss since March,I'm also taking encouragement from you all to keep on working to attain my goal.

My assistant at work really needs to do something about her weight (seriously!). But I can only set an example and tell her how good I feel, healthier and stronger and more pleased with my new look, and hope I can inspire her. Hasn't happened yet, but I'll keep on trying. Subtally.

BTW, I find that I need to get a new driver's license because I don't look like my old picture any more! :dancer: And that is so funny because since I started to gain weight I have always lied on my license applications. I started, when 32, to gain weight and for a long time kept claiming I was 135, but when I got to over 200 I claimed I was 170. That was as far as I was willing to go. :lol: So now I'm going to go back to DMV and say I've lost my license (Hey, I Haven't minded lying up till now!) and get a new one that reflects how I really look now.

Thanks for letting me go on and on about myself! :lol: But that's what this thread is all about, right?:flow2:

Later, Lynda :wave:

Bev
09-26-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone,

well has everyone did their 3 times this week at curves. I am going this morning so I can get in my three. Even after next two times going I can already tell the difference.

I was wondering what does everyone do on the recovery stations: the first cuircuit I walk/jog, the second I twist and the third i use it like a step. So what do you do?

bev

SunnyD57
09-26-2003, 11:39 AM
http://webclipart.miningco.com/library/Thanks/tharv1s.gif A very GOOD morning gang! Have you ladies missed me ;) I sure have missed all of you!!! The last two days have been so sad with the funeral services, but I must say... the workouts have keep me from getting too far down in the dumps. The ladies there are so supportive @ Curves... it's absolutely wonderful. I come home with such a high!

Yes BEV... Even with the funeral services I was at my workouts first; then would come home & get ready to go to the church. I just cannot see my Mon - Wed - & Friday's coming & going now without beginning them @ Curves! The owner, Sue, is so sweet and caring. She has over 200 sign-ups already!!! They have only been open two weeks!!! Can you believe it! Told you, people were really wanting a Curves here. Sue told us this morning that she is going to order another machine already (!) - machine #9 and then in three weeks she'll order machine #10. She told us that there are 13 machines all together and one day would like to have all 13 there... that would be so cool :cool:.

Hi LYNDA, you are too cute! I enjoy your posts and especially the saying at the bottom of yor post --- "...where would you put everything if you had it all???" Too funny :lol: but so very true!

APRIL ~ WELCOME! So good to hear that you have gone back to Curves... me, I just can't imagine not going now :)

PRECIOUS ~ I was like that this morning! So tired after going & going the last two days. But went anyway... (wanted to see my new friends too!) and once I got thru those doors and saw my new firends and heard the music, I was ready to get going! My neighbor joined today :) I haven't seen any weight loss yet, but do see a huge difference in my body shape and in my clothes --- yeah!

:wave: Hello KARI & FERN! WELCOME!! :wave:

:wave:Hi ROSIEE --- Hello GAYLE!:wave: --- Hi ANDRIA! :wave:

"Thank you" ~ ALL~ for your Well-Wishes... it meant allot to me :)

aprilbride04
09-26-2003, 05:50 PM
Hi gang!!

Well, I got my 3 times in this week...first week back and I am feeling great!!! I am leaving to go up north to my cabin but I am going to try and get some long walks in Sat and Sun.

BEV - When I am on the recovery stations it kind of depends on how much energy I have - I usually just jog but when I get some bursts of energy I might do some jumping jacks or punches in the air with my jogs. I think that it just matters that you keep moving and the faster you move the more calories you will burn.

You all really inspired me to keep at it this week. I really think that the first week back is the hardest and now I am starting to feel the "urge to work out" that I get after a few workout sessions and eating better already!!

Talk to you girls SUnday!!

kari_berry
09-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Today at Curves, I noticed that my heart rate was up. I think the chart says for someone my age, it should be right around 25 - 28 for the ten second count.

When I did it today, it stayed around 30. One of the ladies who worked there was asking everyone what their rates were, and I told her 30. She didn't say much about it...but my question is...

When I notice my heart rate is elevated, should I slow down on the recovery stations?

Normally I just march in place on the stations, but I do it at a quick pace. Should I slow down while on the stations?

I've only been at Curves for a week, and I'd imagine my body is wondering what I am doing to it...lol. I'm thinking maybe I just have to get adjusted back into working out again. Who knows...lol.

~ Kari ~

apreciousone
09-26-2003, 08:21 PM
You should definitely slow down on the recovery stations when your heart rate is elevated. When my heart rate is up, I do arm stretches or "twists" at the waist. According to the Curves mentor, who visits all new Curves locations when they first open, you want to give the machines all you've got; that is where the work-out benefits come from...the machines. The harder you work the machines, the better. Also, the stretches after each work-out is important because, if you skip that part, you lose about 40% of the benefit of your work-out. Hope my input helps some!

kari_berry
09-26-2003, 08:30 PM
Wow! I never knew that the stretching was that important! I always leave right after my work out, I never stay for the stretches....I am DEFINATLY going to stay now...thanks for letting me know! :)

Bev
09-27-2003, 10:24 AM
apreciousone, thanks for the info about stretching. I know most leave without stretching. I stretched just because I have plaantar fascitis and if I don't my feet will hurt.

thanks again

SunnyD57
09-27-2003, 10:41 AM
YES! I sure found out how important stretching was that first week. I felt like a giant knot by the second workout and now stay after with my new friends and we all take the 10 to 15 minutes to stretch & breathe. But I also found out that you should be very careful not to OVER-stretch! I pulled the muscle in my lower back-left side that lasted over the whole weekend last weekend... was bumming out because I was so looking forward to going back to Curves on Monday. It all worked out and I was fine on Mon. But now I stretch carefully and take the time to do it correctly. I even get home and take another 10 min. or so (I only live 3 min. away from Curves ;) )

Like your pic KARI... you are a Cutie-pie... did you just put it on? Don't remember seeing it before.

I wish we all had pics - love seeing what you look like - makes it so much more personable.

SJR
09-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi all,

Just got back from my workout. First time since last Saturday! Thought it would be worse, but it really wasn't. There is a reason I skipped this week. My insurance company reimburses me for every 13 consecutive weeks by the calendar year. Because I started in August, I would not have gotten reimbursed for Nov & Dec. I know that these are my toughest months and I didn't want any reasons not to do at least 3x per week, so now I have to go 3x every week through the end of the year to get reimbursed.

I can't believe how much this thread has grown. I've lost track of everyone. :o

Sunny - sorry I didn't get in here to give my condolences on your recent loss. Congrats on getting in your workouts through everything!

I do the stretches, but alot of women just leave.

Lynda - I too lie on my license. Just a bit!! :s: I had mine renewed right after I had lost 50 plus pounds and could not believe the difference. For a long time, I kept both just to compare!!

Well, wish I could reply more, but I have to shower and then we're off to my sons football game.

Have a great weekend.

(Next Friday is my 2nd measure!!!)

aprilbride04
09-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Well it is Sunday. Yesterday I unloaded roof shingles at the dump and it took 2-3 hours, my body is aching!! I keep thinking about what it would feel like if I hadn't been to Curves this week! Although it was my first week back I feel better - leaner, stronger, toner. I have a crazy, late night schedule this week but I am going to make sure that I get my workouts in...I just feel so much better!!

Thanks for the info on stretching - I didn't know that you lose 40% if you don't stretch - which I am awful at! Will have to work harder at doing that!

kari_berry
09-28-2003, 11:46 PM
Lol...just wanted to say thanks...my mom always calls me a "Cutie Pie" lol.

Yes, I just put that picture up yesterday I think. I cannot wait until I lose some more weight so I can put an updated photo up. :) That picture was taken after I lost the 43 lbs. Now just 62 more lbs to go!

glynne
09-29-2003, 05:30 AM
Well, it is a new week, and I hope to get there more this week. I missed the last 2 weeks, either was too tired, or asleep at the wrong time (I work the night shift, and my sleep has been all messed up lately).

Thinking of the stretching, made me smile ~ I do it. The hardest ones for me are the ones where you have to get down on the floor. It is the getting back up that is the hard part. I thought I had a way all figured out ~ that machine that you put your wrists in was at the end where you do your stretches, and I would crawl over there and get hold of that to help myself up. Must have been an interesting site for the other ladies. Then they moved the machines around and I had to figure out another way. LOL.

Hope you all have a good week.

Gayle

aprilbride04
09-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Got up at 6am this morning and went to the Curves down the street from me...what a difference!! The Curves I go to now is next door to my work - there is no instruction and no motivation that everyone on this thread keeps talking about. The hours are awful as well.

The Curves by my house has great hours and they actually have 2 people at all times in the middle of the circuit telling you what you are doing wrong or right...and they also send our newsletters on your health and have 5k runs they sponsor and stuff. I am seriously considering switching my membership...

I am feeling really great this morning - I know that I have a late night at work tonight and it is great to know that I still got my workout in...I think this is going to be the week that I get 5 days of Curves in!

Have a great week!!

SunnyD57
09-29-2003, 09:25 AM
:cp: Yeah!!! APRIL!!! So very happy for you...
I am off and running to get ready for 'my' morning at Curves... so I will catch up with everyone later ;)

Have a great Day gang!

kari_berry
09-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Good Mornin Ladies,
Just got up, and I am preparing to go to Curves. This may sound weird, but do any of you get "completely ready" in the morning before your work out? I mean like, fixing up your hair so it doesn't look aweful, applying some make up, ect...???

I went to Curves a few times with no make up on, and my hair just pulled back in a messy pony tail, and I didn't feel good about myself. For some reason, when I go and have make up on, and have my hair looking 'nice', I feel pretty, and it makes me want to work even harder.

Do you think this is weird? Does anyone else do this?? lol...

~ Kari ~ :hun:

Bev
09-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Kari, actually I have my curling iron on right now so I can get ready to go. Bev

SunnyD57
09-29-2003, 11:20 AM
http://www.countrycolors.nu/graphics/faery/purpfae.gif I do too KARI :) I put it on every morning or I just don't feel well. I usually wash my hair the day before (because I have pretty long hair and don't like to wash it and try to get it all dry before I head out---takes forever!) and apply my make-up as usual. I just don't feel right going out the door without my face on. I don't wear a heavy make-up at all, so some don't even notice I have it on, but I do... that's good isn't it ;) I am a very cheery morning person and I love the fact that the ones who come in the morning are also. I have seen others with their make up on too. Cuz they leave Curves and go on their errands. Not me---gotta come home first and refresh myself :lol:

I just got back from Curves and am so happy with the place I go to and the owner. They make you feel so Special. But I sure hope I see some results soon... I was feeling a bit disheartened this morning, but now that I have been to workout feel better. I am a bit anxious I guess.

Has anyone been going for awhile?? This is only my 6th visit and I was wondering how long before you noticed real changes in your body and in weight loss??

A very Good Morning to BEV, GAYLE, SHERI, LYNDA, APRIL, PRECIOUS, FERN, ROSIEE, ANDRIA & CASSANDRA!!!!
Sure hope I haven't forgotten any one &
if I have a Great Morning into day for you too!!!

Punkin 1
09-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Hey, Ladies! :wave:

I'm back to work and feeling just great! Yesterday my granddaughter, Lindsey (named for me :) ), 8, and I took a luncheon cruise on the Bay. The weather was perfect and we saw San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, and Pac Bell Park with a Giant's game going on, from a completely different perspective out there on the water. We had a marvelous time.

It just seems that I enjoy everything so much more now. With the weight loss, I look so much better and can buy cute clothes. I have so much more stamina, because of Curves, and No More Low Back Pain!!

Sunny :sunny: , several pages back in this thread I explained how I came to start going to Curves (March 12, 2003). It wasn't for weight loss, but because I had such horible low back pain from any activity. I didn't change my diet at all and was so surprised to find, at my first measuring and weigh-in, that I had lost 9 inches and 5 pounds! By mid-May, when my sisters and I went to Las Vegas, I walked all over the place, tirelessly and without back pain. By that time I had lost about 15 pounds. So, after that vacation, I got the Curves book and started the diet (modified to my tastes).

Several of the women I have talked to at Curves have told me that they don't lose any weight, but have lost inches at every measuring. So, to answer your question, I'll bet you find you've lost inches on your first measuring. With your water intake and if you watch your calories and carbs, combined with the exercize, I'm betting you'll enjoy weight loss too.

Thanks, again, all of you who come here to share, encourage and inspire! :cheers:

aprilbride04
09-29-2003, 08:26 PM
It is the evening and I still am in shock at the difference in Curves this morning. Everyone on this site is always talking about the commoderie between Curves members at their Curves and I never saw or experienced it before today...it was so motivating.

I have to say that my stress is getting better all the time with each workout I do. Planning a wedding and running a business have really taken its toll on me and I have to say that I NEED TO WORKOUT. I am SOOOOOOO MUCH HAPPIER!

SunnyD - This is really my second time around with Curves. Last fall I worked out for about 10 weeks and lost about 20 pounds. (I was doing about 30 minutes of cardio 3x a week as well and following weight watchers too. Too bad I didn't stick with it - gained it all back!) But, I felt like I had lost 30 pounds!! It is funny, after a week back at Curves I FEEL THINNER! Of course, I am a big girl - tall and 235 and haven't really moved in a while...but I feel as if my muscles have been pulled up somehow!! (Does anyone know what I am saying?) How many weeks have you been going? I know that you said 6 workouts but how long of a period has that been over? If you haven't seen your results yet, you soon will - just keep at it!!

Kari and Bev- you crack me up!! I am one of those slobby girls that gets out of bed with last nights makeup on, rub my finger under my eyelid, and leave. I am sure that I look charming!! I just can't get myself to spend the time fixing myself up when I am going to be doing it in another hour!

Punkin - That is reassuring about the back pain. I have awful pain in my lower back all the time and am always pulling my back out. I like to see that your back problems are relieved...That inspires me to stick with it!! I have seen the Curves book and have been tempted to buy it...what do you think about it? Is it all about diet? I am really sick of diets!! I want to just eat normal and exercise regularly and never quit!!! I am sick of yo-yoing. Is there anything different about the Curves book?

Ok gals, great talking with you!! Have a great night!!

SunnyD57
09-29-2003, 10:15 PM
Thanks LYNDA & APRIL for all your input.
APRIL ~ I began on Wed-September 17th (I see that was KARI's birthday - Belated Happy 21st B-day, KARI!) and go every Mon - Wed - & Friday right now. So this coming Wednesday will be 2 weeks for me. I am also doing the SBD along with Curves. I have already lost 12.5lbs since Aug 1st, nothing more ~ but (!) haven't gained either - I'm in a 'holding' pattern ;) so I guess that's good, huh. WoW :o you lost 20 & LYNDA lost 15 - I would be happy with that kind of results in 8 - 10 weeks :)

Feeling very tired tonight, so I will catch you all
in the morning. Thanks again!

aprilbride04
09-29-2003, 10:32 PM
Sunny - Yes, I lost, but that was last fall and unfortunately I gained it back because I quit. I think that we should all make a pack NOT TO QUIT THIS TIME!

Like I said earlier - can't believe the energy I have after only a week - and how great I feel! I just jumped on my elliptical trainer and did 30 minutes so I got an am and pm workout in and I feel AWESOME!!

Happy b-day Kari - 21st is a blast - did you do anything fun? (Hope you didn't worry about your diet that night!!)

Ok - I really am done for the night...talk to everyone tomorrow!

Bev
09-29-2003, 11:13 PM
I was wondering what type of exercise does everyone do on their non- curve days.

bev

kari_berry
09-30-2003, 06:58 AM
Sunnyd57 and aprilbride04 - thanks for the belated birthday wish. :) I finally turned 21 and the big lush that I am, I haven't even drank yet!!! LOL....most people go out drinking when they turn 21. Not me...I'm not interested in all that hype with drinking. My finace' and I ended up going to Cedar Point Halloweekends since our birthdays are exactly 8 days apart, to the minute! :) I pretty much ignored my diet, but I tried not to be TOO bad...lol. We ate breakfast at the Cracker Barrel. I had a Funnel Cake, and a Lemon Smoothie at the park, and we had dinner at a nice restraunt (but I can't remember the name) lol. It was a fun day. :)

its_my_life - I have been trying to go to Curves everyday, but on the days that I haven't been going, I like to walk. There is a nice park by our house now, that has a nice walking trail. I need to go buy a pedometer though so I can figure out how far I am walking. I'm not sure what else to do, than walk. The only piece of exercise equiptment that we have at the house is an exercise bike, but after my tail bone/back injury from a car accident, I have been unable to sit on it because it hurts to bad. I used to also enjoy the Richard Simmons tapes. Granted, the guy is a little goofy, there was still fun music to dance around to, and it got my body moving :)

~ Kari ~

Punkin 1
09-30-2003, 12:31 PM
Morning Ladies :wave:

April, to your question about the Curves book, it has been months since I read it. It's not all about diet, but about the full Curves program. It discusses diet, nutrition, exercize, and I found it to be very interesting. Silly me, I had no idea that carbs are not our friends! I felt that if I picked everything that said "Low Fat" while shopping, I was eating well. Of course, I never lost any weight! I ate a lot of pasta (my favorite food) and a lot of prepared foods that were high in carbs.

The Curves book, when it gets around to the Diet, offers two different diets. You are given several questions, and the answers help you determine whether you should follow the low carb or the low calorie diet. I personally don't see a whole lot of difference between the two :dizzy: , they're both low in cal and carb.

I found the recommended diet plans too much work. I guess in the interests of keeping your diet interesting they have quite a variety of different meals. Way too much cooking for me! I have a busy job and when I come home I just want to fix something simple or defrost something. And I don't require a lot of variety in my diet. I can have the same thing a few nights a week and as long as I like it I'm satisfied. I now look at the calorie and carb contents of everything I buy. I have a little calorie/carb counter book I carry in my purse.

In the Curves diet there are a number of Free Foods. You can eat as much of these as you like. Fortunately, I like a lot of them! To name a few: onions, mushrooms, zucchini, lettuce, asparagus, broccoli, celery, garlic, dill pickles, and red, green, yellow or orange peppers. I love to cook and it has long been my habit to cook up a big batch of a favorite food and freeze it in those marvelous little Glad containers. (Now, though, I freeze it in the smaller containers instead of the larger, entree size containers, controlling the portions.) Because I do this every weekend, I have a variety of different favorite, homecooked foods to choose from after work.

Hmmm. I seem to be somewhat gabby this morning and I don't know how many of you are interested in how I happily survive the diet. I wouldn't mind sharing some of the recipies I really enjoy, but I think there is another thread for that.:^:

Have a lovely day everyone!

Lynda

Go GIANTS!!!!!!

SunnyD57
09-30-2003, 04:00 PM
STOP POSTING HERE...

>>>GO TO "CURVES #2" Thread to continue on :) See you all there!