Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Sept 9-15

View Full Version : Maintainers Weekly Chat Sept 9-15

Mudpie
09-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Good Morning! It's a new week. I hope you all enjoy it the way Bill is enjoying the trees.

Dagmar :D

silverbirch
09-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Good morning! I have done my exercises. :)

paperclippy
09-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Good morning! We had a nice weekend with my sister and SIL out to visit. Carter got lots and lots of scratches and petting and was quite happy with the visitors. Took the babies apple picking yesterday -- briefly, as it was quite hot outside. But they did get to wear their cute sun hats they haven't had a chance to wear yet! They had their 4 month/2 month (4 months actual, 2 months adjusted age) appointment on Friday and are doing well. Just over 10lbs each, which is about 25% for weight for their adjusted age, but their heights and heads are closer to 40-50%. They made all of their 2 month milestones and some of the 4 month milestones!

My mom and dad will be in town tomorrow night and here for a week. Here's hoping for not too many arguments with my dad, and for DH to not get too stressed out by having my dad around when he's at home with the kids all day. (I love my dad, but having him around can be very stressful.) Maybe dad will stay at the hotel and just have my mom come over part of the time to give DH a break. :lol: MIL and FIL are on vacation this week.

alinnell
09-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Good morning everyone!

I've been experiencing back problems lately. I'm not really sure why this is. I can't say that I've done anything that should have caused it but it's getting to be a bit of a nuisance. An Aleve in the morning seems to help but I don't really want to rely on that. The other day I did some yoga that did back stretches and that really helped--for about an hour and then the pain returned.

Glad the girls are getting out, Jessica! I love seeing the photos on FB!

You're good to get the exercise out of the way, Birchie. I'll come home today and do mine before I fix dinner. And then I'll relax and watch last night's episode of Breaking Bad.

Mudpie
09-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Allison It's a great epi - Breaking Bad - and ends on a real cliffhanger! :eek:

Silverbirch Good for you getting the exercise done earlier :cheer:. I totally lose momentum by the end of the day.

bargoo How are you doing? :hug:

Jessica Glad the girls are doing well and getting out and about. How is DH finding it being a "chick magnet"? :p

I am finished with all of the funeral occasions. Now on to selling the farm, tying up the rest of the loose ends, and disposing of the rest of my father's things. I'm hoping to be done with all of it by the end of 2013. :yoga:

The reno is going well. Our contractor will be done the bathroom today - except for the window install. I have never had a brand new bathroom before and I'm quite excited :twirly: and determined to be the first to shower in it. I might sneak over sometime before we move in and try it out. :D

The floors will probably be installed about 2 weeks from now and that should coincide with the end of the painting. Then a clean up of all the dust and furniture deliveries will start.

Dagmar :dance:

traveling michele
09-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I saw the pictures too Jessica-- so cute!!

Allison-- I hate back issues! Mine has been acting up for over a month now. I got a massage which helped some and I've started doing the foam rolling. It feels decent this morning but that doesn't mean it will later.

Hello to everyone else!

We have a huge fire on the mountain that is nearby (Mt. Diablo). So scary. You can see it from my house and work and the sky is filled with smoke. Very eerie. There have been evacuations nearer the fire but I'm praying they contain it before it spreads further.

Dagmar-- did the funeral/memorial stuff go okay? I'm sure you're glad it's all over!

Dh came home Saturday. My weight is up 3 pounds. Grrrr.... I eat so clean/healthy when he's gone that I sometimes think my body needs to be shaken up a bit. So, he comes home and we eat differently. More quantity wise but still healthy--- though with some cheese and stuff I don't usually have. Now I just feel huge and grouchy.

saef
09-09-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm sitting here feeling guilty because I am working from home today. I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon near my home, when instead, I should be in CT attending the all-company meeting and then setting up my office stuff, which I just packed up on Friday so that it could be moved about 40 feet into an office. This should feel momentous, as I've just moved from a cubicle into an office with a door that I can close. I'll be sharing it with another manager who comes into the office on alternate days, so it will be like those old boardinghouse situations in the coal mining region where the boarders shared a room & a bed but worked different shifts in the mine & so never saw one another, as one was always working while the other was sleeping.

Also debating what to do about my therapist. Now I've got to go to CT on the days when my therapist is working from his home office rather than Manhattan. I don't know if I can change my appointment but I know I can't make the current time, at least not every week. He's been somewhat helpful to me but not really great. I've had better. Also he is expensive. Is this an opportunity to end my visits? Honestly I think my antidepressants, introspection and exercise get most of the credit for keeping me operational. He's been good in the clutch, like when my father was dying or a hurricane was approaching or had just hit. I don't know. I'll be debating this on & off all day.

Shannon in ATL
09-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Shannon I too am a car singer - with the windows closed of course (I can't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow). I also play air drums and guitar and keyboards. Most people at stop lights find me totally amusing.

Dagmar :cool:

Me too, Dagmar! If I'm drinking anything while driving I also find myself using the bottle as a microphone. Yesterday I had a Dasani bottle - great acoustic response when it is about half full. LOL Enjoy the new bathroom. :)

Jessica - saw the baby pics, cute! They look great. My neighbors both had baby girls this summer - both are just over a month old now, and both are in the 50% or higher for head size and length, one is in 15% for weight and the other is 25% for weight. They look great, and your girls do, too. :)

Allison - sorry about the back. Hope the yoga helps.

Birchie - great job on the exercise! :)

Michele - my weight goes up every time I change my eating routine, even if I stay within calorie ranges. Grr.

Starting the week off with a parent teacher conference with the ALP (gifted class) teacher. Had an impromptu conference with myself and the math and homeroom teachers last week when I stopped in to introduce myself to the new teacher. Woo.

Shannon in ATL
09-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Saef - will your PCP continue the prescription for you without you seeing the therapist? I think it would be very inconvenient to have to go to CT for someone who you can't clearly say is helping. Maybe you could find someone else local, or just switch to the PCP for the meds? Exercise helps me a lot more than anything else, I believe.

alinnell
09-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Dagmar~when you said it ended in a cliffhanger, you were not exaggerating! Wow! And only 3 more episodes.

Michele~your fire was on the news tonight. I feel for you. It's scary regardless of how close it may or may not be. Be safe!

Mudpie
09-10-2013, 06:26 AM
I'm still all excited :twirly: by my new bathroom but I do have words of caution to anyone buying fixtures. Make sure you can SIT on the toilet before you buy it. Ours was recommended by an associate in the store and is a reputable brand. We have two made by the same manufacturer in the bungalow we rent and they're great toilets.

The new one I bought, off a wall display and then packed inside a big box, has a seat that can't really be tightened :eek:. So every time you use it you wobble around :yikes: all over the place. I wonder why my contractor didn't call me and tell me the toilet had to go back. He installed it, even though he knew it was a dud. We will have to live with it - I've run out of time to go shopping and return stuff and such. So that's a $250 mistake that will have to be fixed next year sometime. :(

The bathtub is nice and spacious :D. But the spigot leading to it from the shower taps is now too short and the water runs down over the side of the tub. I will have to try to get a longer spigot. My contractor will willingly replace it - I just have to find one. :shrug:

At least my contractor had the sense to not install a wall unit that was supposed to go in over the toilet. It, when paired with the new medicine cabinet, would barely have fit and the doors wouldn't have opened. He does get points for that.

I can't bug DH with all of this stuff as he is working every night and weekend :tired: to get the painting and then the floors done. I see him for dinner and for breakfast and that's it.

SIGH. Live and learn. I wish the learn part didn't have to be so expensive and time-consuming.

And I find myself eating in the evenings again because I'm so tired I'm ready for bed at 8 p.m. Part of this is fallout from my father's death - I do get that. And I'm limiting the eating - small bag of jelly beans, rather than 2 lbs. of 'em.

I am really, really looking forward to having ONE house to look after.

November 1 - I can last 'til November 1. :cheer: :cheer2:

Dagmar :dance: :tired:

saef
09-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Well, I'll stick with my therapist, as he's offered to see me at 7:15 AM on Mondays, after which time I'll depart for my commute to CT. We both get up early so this is doable. It does interfere with my recent habit of hitting the gym before work, so I'll have to go in the evenings. Mondays are now going to become my longest day of activity before hitting my bed time.

ICUwishing
09-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Dagmar, your house remodeling issues are giving me flashbacks! Everything we did in our hall bathroom resulted in fresh chaos. I now know why general contractors are so expensive - they already learned all that stuff! :D We pay for their experience, blood, stress, and wasted material. Yes, you can make it til November. Put that longer spigot high on your priority list, because when you move in, you need to take the longest, most luxurious bath EVER! Re wiggly toilet seats: If the problem is oversized holes in the stool thru which the seat bolts fasten, I have seen rubber grommets online that help reduce that diameter. I'm guessing it's not the seat itself - I once spent 3/4 the price of a new one just getting a missing bolt shipped. :rolleyes:

saef - good to hear you have a viable compromise with your appointment. It's not the greatest to have the longest day on Monday, but it does get it out of the way. Congrats on getting an office with a door! :cheer:

michele - I would imagine that watching a big fire from a distance is even harder than watching a tornado - at least tornados are somewhat predictable and have a limited range of damage (and they go away without human intervention). Stay safe!

silver - well done on kicking off the day and the week on the right foot!

jessica - I'm a sucker for babies in sunhats! :love: Hope the family visit goes smoothly!

shannon - we have the high school open house tomorrow night. I've had conversations with some of DS's teachers via email, but I am really looking forward to putting faces with the names. :)

Re the singing - I am surrounded by gifted singers. I live with two of them, was raised by another, have one for a good friend, have two for inlaws ... and my voice can peel paint. :lol3: It is what it is - I am destined to be a patron and on the receiving end of music. :yes:

I'm still figuring out where everybody has to be and when. DS's schedule is a new beast and I am determined to wrap it around my own swimming 3 times a week. Phew. Too many special events in September; hoping October will find a way to settle into something repeatable!

alinnell
09-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Yesterday I was on the treadmill watching the men's tennis final (normally I just listen to music and stare out the window) and I noticed a word on some of the stuff we bought for DS's dorm room. The word was FULL. For those of you who know dorm stuff (Michele!) you know FULL won't cut it. I had accidentally ordered a FULL set of bed-in-a-bag type stuff when it should have been extra-long twin. Oops! Quick, print out the order confirmation, give it all to DS so he can take it back to BB&B, see if they have the right one in the store and if not get it ordered ASAP! He moves in on the 22nd, so I'm glad I caught it!

ICUwishing
09-10-2013, 10:22 AM
allison, good catch on the dorm stuff! Hope your back is feeling better - it's hard to enjoy anything when you're in pain.

traveling michele
09-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Good thing you caught it Allison! I'm always doublechecking things and I still make those mistakes often.

Dagmar-- when I read what you're going through with your remodel it reminds me that I don't really need/want to renovate any more of my house even though it drives me crazy and is hopelessly out of date.

The fire is scary. Thank goodness I still feel like it's far enough from me to be safe. We are keeping the kids inside due to the air quality. Yesterday it was raining ash and my car was covered!

There is some big training in the library for the next two days. They are taking over.... I have to smile and pretend it's fine. Hopefully I can still get some work done.

Megan1982
09-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi all,

It's still hot here and I'm eagerly anticipating fall weather. Work business is settling from insanely busy to do-able busy as the summer field season winds down. I can really feel how much stronger my core is from the combination of field work and continued yoga practice, since I have not been keeping up with any other strength training this summer. Note to self: don't get as out of shape again when the winter takes hold. I've been busy having auditions and casting the play I'm directing this fall. I hate telling people they didn't get a part. I feel so bad and just plain mean. And of course no casting comes without drama. Hopefully it will be settled in the next day or two and I can get on with regular rehearsals.

Warning: Pet talk in this paragraph. I'm worried about my fur baby who wet the bed, our bed, last night. I think she was sleeping (I was asleep so I can't be sure) but the fact that she actually did it on the bed is what worries me. She had wet the loveseat while dozing a month ago, but I kept and eye on her and when she didn't do it again I dismissed it. I've met a vet appt for her tomorrow. Otherwise she seems fine, but this isn't like her. She's only 3 and lets us know when she needs to go out. I worry about a UTI or kidney infection. Hopefully I won't spend a fortune for nothing, or conversely be racked with guilt for not doing something sooner.

Saef, even though it will make Mondays long it sounds like your therapist is willing to work with you and be flexible. My first inclination was to tell you to shop around, but I remember you saying that can be difficult, like finding someone you have enough chemistry with to want to date, and that makes sense to me too. Even if you don't see this therapist every week it would be good to have him to call upon during those stressful times.

Dagmar, how did the cousins act at the memorial/reception at their house? Were you able to stick to your guns and take the high road? Did I miss the report? Gosh, you are going to take some great relaxing showers in that bathroom in a few months when all of this is over and you have time to decompress.

Jessica, the girls are so cute in their bonnets! I hope you're able to have some nice time with your parents and DD doesn't drive DH too crazy.

Michele, I'm trying to think of something you could do to block out the chaos. Noise cancelling headphones and a partition you could hide behind? Asking your boss to work from home when these events are scheduled in your library? Stay safe with the fire. I have a few forestry friends who are out west working on various fires. It's been a bad season.

Becky, good luck figuring out how to mesh DS's schedule with your own.

Silver, good for you for getting your exercise done early!

Have a good day all.

Megan1982
09-10-2013, 04:17 PM
I thought you might like to see what I've been spending so much of my time doing this summer. These loggerhead sea turtles came out of their nest early because a dog got into it. We do usually try to do everything to let the turtles hatch out of their nest naturally, but if that is not possible, release the babes at night on the beach to give them the best chance of survival. (I should disclose that I am trained and have the proper permits to work with an endangered species! Don't try this at home!) And yesterday this diamondback rattlesnake tried to climb through the bilge pump of our boat. Look to the bottom right of the motor. :eek: I really don't need that kind of stowaway!

Shannon in ATL
09-10-2013, 04:39 PM
The little turtles are so cute!

alinnell
09-10-2013, 04:44 PM
The little turtles are so cute!

That's what I was going to say!!

traveling michele
09-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Megan-- what play are you directing? I'm sure there are many hard aspects to it. The turtles are adorable!!
Regarding Emma-- definitely make a vet trip. Hopefully it is something easy to take care of like a UTI. Female dogs can sometimes have leakage problems but there is medication for it. Keep us animal lovers posted!

I can't really work from home though it sure sounds appealing. For one thing, I need to stay visible and needed-- I'm worried that at some point the school librarian will be phased out and I'll be out of work! Tomorrow I'll be going to visit the Kindergartners for the first time. It should be challenging. They can't come to the library so I have to entertain them for 30 minutes. They will also all have subs as the teachers are in training. So.... I will have 52 kindergartners at a time (2 classes together). I hope I make it. I have some off campus meetings parts of Wednesday and Thursday and then my classes start full time next week so I'll survive. I'm hoping the air quality is better tomorrow so the kids don't have to come in the library for recess. I'm sick to death of watching Hercules!

Mudpie
09-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Megan Has Emma seen the vet now? Hope it's just a UTI. The rattlesnake trying to get into your boat - not so cute, eh? :eek:

Dagmar :cool:

traveling michele
09-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Allison-- how is your back feeling?

Day two of training in the library but I'll be reading to the little ones most of the day. A good thing as one of the teachers just brought in dozens of DONUTS and put them on my counter for everyone. It's bad enough in the breakroom but right on my desk?!? I think I'd go into a sugar coma if I ate one!

alinnell
09-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Michele~how is the fire? Hopefully you're not still getting covered in ash. My back is about the same. If I remember to take an Aleve in the morning, it doesn't bother me too much. If it is bad, I'll use a ThermaCare heat wrap for the day (they last about 8 hours). I haven't needed the ThermaCare for a couple of weeks, but I keep a supply on hand because I never know when it's going to be "that" bad. Last night I found a more green alternative to the ThermaCare in The Sharper Image catalog but I'm not sure if I want to spend $140 for it! Maybe Amazon has it for less, I'll have to check.

Good news! My weight is slowly going down! I'm still horribly high but at least something is starting to work! I'm down 1.3 pounds this week. I think last night's dinner really helped (scallops). Seafood is really diet friendly. I'm certain than once DS is off to school, we'll have seafood at least twice a week. I tried to get him to taste a bite of scallop last night but he said the smell was too much for him. I don't get it, I think scallops are very mild tasting.

My oven gets fixed today! I've got a dual oven made by Amana that is one of the last ones made that is two true ovens (most of the others sold these days are regular and convection and I didn't want convection). I think the really top of the line ones like Wolf might still do two true ovens though. Anyway, I've had an issue with the top one lately. It just doesn't want to heat up! I'll turn it to preheat and 20 minutes later it still hasn't heated up. The bottom one will heat in less than 5 minutes. Apparently it is the thermostat so it's getting replaced today. I'll need that for Thanksgiving!

traveling michele
09-11-2013, 12:03 PM
The fire is much better. It's 60 percent contained and I'm pretty sure we are allowing the kids out for recess today.

The donuts are providing interesting commentary/entertainment for me. It is like a psychology experiment. As each teacher takes one, they make a comment. They tell me "good thing I did zumba yesterday" or "guess I'll be hitting the gym" or "who brought this torture?". Kind of funny to me and very interesting.

krampus
09-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Hi Maintainers,

Hope everyone is doing well - upstate NY feels like...Florida? today, weird weather patterns.

The planets and stars are aligning against me - cat needs surgery to have his bad tooth out Friday, and on my way back from making the appointment/picking up expensive antibiotics for him (scratching/scabs are awful), my car's muffler decided to stop working properly. Sent $900 to my regular account from my "vacation" account - boooooo.

I went to CT to visit BF's family for Rosh Hashanah and general fun this past weekend for 4 days. Ate a whole lot and seemed to have dropped it since returning. Just living life and sort of grimacing as "Birthday Season" (mid September to mid October - at least 6 or 7 friends and relatives have birthdays) and earlier sunsets creep in. Work conference is 4 weeks from today, too.

michele - Glad the fire is contained. I appreciate the hard work firefighters and hotshots and rappellers and smoke jumpers do - one of my good friends works as one half the year. It's funny about the donuts isn't it - why eat them if you're going to feel guilty about it?

alinnell - Good news weight is creeping back down! What is the first thing you're going to make with the new oven?

Megan - hope your little one is OK! I loved the photos of the little turtles and the rattlesnake!

Dagmar - Hang in there, you've been dealing with a LOT of stuff these past few months - it will be great when the house is in one piece.

saef - Good luck with the busy Mondays. It's nice having the busiest day toward the beginning of the week sometimes.

bargoo
09-11-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm still all excited :twirly: by my new bathroom but I do have words of caution to anyone buying fixtures. Make sure you can SIT on the toilet before you buy it. Ours was recommended by an associate in the store and is a reputable brand. We have two made by the same manufacturer in the bungalow we rent and they're great toilets.

The new one I bought, off a wall display and then packed inside a big box, has a seat that can't really be tightened :eek:. So every time you use it you wobble around :yikes: all over the place. I wonder why my contractor didn't call me and tell me the toilet had to go back. He installed it, even though he knew it was a dud. We will have to live with it - I've run out of time to go shopping and return stuff and such. So that's a $250 mistake that will have to be fixed next year sometime. :(

Dagmar, don't go and buy another toilet. Call the contractor and have him come and adjust this one. I have done it to mine

The bathtub is nice and spacious :D. But the spigot leading to it from the shower taps is now too short and the water runs down over the side of the tub. I will have to try to get a longer spigot. My contractor will willingly replace it - I just have to find one. :shrug:

At least my contractor had the sense to not install a wall unit that was supposed to go in over the toilet. It, when paired with the new medicine cabinet, would barely have fit and the doors wouldn't have opened. He does get points for that.

I can't bug DH with all of this stuff as he is working every night and weekend :tired: to get the painting and then the floors done. I see him for dinner and for breakfast and that's it.

SIGH. Live and learn. I wish the learn part didn't have to be so expensive and time-consuming.

And I find myself eating in the evenings again because I'm so tired I'm ready for bed at 8 p.m. Part of this is fallout from my father's death - I do get that. And I'm limiting the eating - small bag of jelly beans, rather than 2 lbs. of 'em.

I am really, really looking forward to having ONE house to look after.

November 1 - I can last 'til November 1. :cheer: :cheer2:

Dagmar :dance: :tired:
Don't buy a new toilet. Call the contractor and have him adjust this one.

Megan1982
09-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Hi all,
Good news, I guess. My fur baby does not have a UTI or infection. Waiting on the last culture to report back in 1-3 days but preliminary urinalysis & ultrasound didn't find anything wrong. It's "probably a control issue" but since it's not a huge problem at this point and she's so young, I'm not planning on putting her on daily medication unless it gets more frequent. I was rolling my eyes at my $185 bill until I saw your post, Krampus. Ouch. At least I have some peace of mind now. Krampus I hope your little one is feeling better soon.

I found this sort of funny, though: the vet said that Emma's lady parts are slightly abnormal on the outside of her body. He mentioned plastic surgery could be done. Are you kidding? "Could trap more bacteria" doesn't sound like a legit reason to me. She's a dog. I love her, but cosmetic plastic surgery on my DOG'S hooha is totally unnecessary. :dizzy: :lol:

Michele, what an interesting psychology experiment. Why do we feel the need to justify/make excuses when we do eat a sweet in front of someone else? If it were possible to record internal thoughts, I wonder what the difference would be between what was said/thought when picking up a donut in front of a) another woman and b) another man versus when getting a donut alone. Glad the fire is becoming contained.

To answer your question the play is called Any Number Can Die (http://www.samuelfrench.com/p/928/any-number-can-die). It's a murder mystery, but also purposefully melodramatic and pokes fun at serious mysteries like Agatha Christie type plays. It is a funny show but trying to get 10 actors coordinated is like herding cats.

Allison, it's good your oven will be fixed before Thanksgiving. What was your turkey day meal count last year? 30 or so? That's a lot of people to cook for! In middle school a friend gave us homemade heating pads her mother had made. She sewed simple fabric squares about 8x10" and filled them with some kind of corn that didn't pop. You could microwave it over and over and the corn would retain the heat. It didn't last 8 hours but you could keep reheating it. It was a sort of green alternative. I just looked and Martha Stewart has directions for one (http://www.marthastewart.com/268735/homemade-heating-pad). Perhaps a simple belt could hold it in place. I hope your back improves with some rest and care.

Of course today my thoughts are going back to where I was on September 11 and all those who lost their lives. I won't forget.

Off to try to herd cats. :crazy:

alinnell
09-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Megan~last year Thanksgiving was only 7 of us. Very small and kind of boring. This year will be much better!

And as for pet expenses--try having a dog with cancer and no pet insurance. Not that I'm complaining! I'd do anything for that dog! But boy is he expensive!

Mudpie
09-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Back from the lawyer who is going to deal with my father's property in Estonia. From a very quick perusal of the documents (all in Estonian) he thinks there might be a $50,000 mortgage on it still outstanding. :faint: As executor I have to somehow pay off all the debts. My father left about $5000 in total at his death.

But I may be able to gift the farm (for about $5000) and be rid of it. That is what I will do and, if possible, I will gift it to the Estonian nation. Rather than to any of my father's relatives.

So my father might have the last laugh and indeed leave me with nothing. I got the main prize - the house here - and I am more than happy with the result of that.

I just want to be rid of all of his messes and him and move on.

Dagmar :tired:

JayEll
09-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Just wanting to make sure that your lawyer told you, Dagmar, that you do not personally have to pay off your father's mortgage. Once the cash and assets in his estate are gone, they're gone. No more recourse. Let the mortgage holder in Estonia foreclose on the house if you can't gift it.

Mudpie
09-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Just wanting to make sure that your lawyer told you, Dagmar, that you do not personally have to pay off your father's mortgage. Once the cash and assets in his estate are gone, they're gone. No more recourse. Let the mortgage holder in Estonia foreclose on the house if you can't gift it.

I'll have to talk to Lawyer #1 again about that when I go in to sign MY will. Maybe I'll stick with lawyer #2 regarding the esto property (the one who speaks Estonian) as he seems much more conversant with the legal situation over there than lawyer #1.

This all will be over soon - reno, move, settling the estate. I'm looking forward to getting on with my own life, even though right now that consists of work, eat, fall asleep in front of the TV. That will change.

Dagmar :tired:

ICUwishing
09-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Went to DS's high school open house on Wednesday to meet his teachers - I have to say, I've been sleeping a lot better since then. He has an amazing stable of passionate, energetic teachers that are going to be able to continue to give him the kind of challenges he had in private schoool. One massive worry off my list. The last biggie is reassuring myself that DS will continue to bring his best game.

I am leaving Monday for a corporate recruiting trip up to my alma mater - Michigan Tech. I get to spend a week frolicking in the beautiful Keewenaw at the prettiest time of year with a bunch of fast cars, meeting a bunch of young hotshots and trying to convince them that the automotive business is alive and well, and that my company is a great place to be.

Life is good. Very good. :D

alinnell
09-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Have a fun trip, Becky!

We had a bunch of salesmen in the office yesterday, one from Ireland. I overheard DH saying that our next trip will probably be to Scotland, Ireland and England. Oh, I do want to go there. England was one of my favorite places to visit. It won't be for a couple years, though. Gotta save time for DD's wedding first.

ChrisMohr
09-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Hi all,
Nice to read about you all, even with all the many challenges! I'm selling my wedding chapel in a month but have a shot at being an announcer/producer on na statewide public radio network (mostly on the classical music side). Quite a roller coaster. Buying apartments for rental income, missing my old business, emotionallay exhausted. Still managing to maintain but not having much luck in weight loss. So this week I've cut out all sugar and overly fatty foods. No rtestaurfants for twelve days (I'm on day four). Really want to lose last year's "winter weight" while I can! Oh and BTW we count our blessings as we have escaped the Colorado floods. Many friends not so lucky!

traveling michele
09-13-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm so cranky this morning:( I pretty much started crying on the way to work but stopped myself because it would mess up my makeup!:dizzy:

Yesterday I was doing bikram yoga and my foot started acting up a bit. I wiggled it some and it seemed okay. After I got home it started killing me and I can't put any pressure on it. Seriously!? I have no idea what even happened. And my weight is up. And I'm "backed up". And my fat jeans are tight on me. Just feeling sorry for myself but I really want a pity party and to just pig out. I'm mad at my body for betraying me I think. I feed it well. I exercise. And my weight goes up and I get random injuries? So, no exercise today obviously. I hope it goes away on its own but I'm at work and severely cranky. Hopefully no one gets on my nerves today.

:p

ICUwishing
09-13-2013, 12:45 PM
michele, :hug: Hope your day goes as quietly as possible, and the foot quits playing games with you!

Shannon in ATL
09-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Something from Leigh Peele that is talking to me right now:

"Looking below, you can gain some examples of what can take place when you have been in a deficit too long. It should be noted most of these things can be general side effects of fat loss or completely separate issues all together. This is not a list to diagnose or confirm any particular illness or disease and is based on review literature and anecdotal evidence.

Sudden inability to complete workouts at standard performing level
Stalled fat loss
Increase in fluid retention on a regular basis
Feeling unmotivated and lacking energy
Increased susceptibility to colds, sore throats and other illnesses
Decrease body temperature from previous normal levels
Alterations in appetite
Decrease in performance
Insomnia
Aches or pain in the muscles and/or joints
Fatigue
Headaches
Elevated morning pulse
Disordered eating habits/thoughts"

Megan1982
09-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Hi all,
This week I started a conversation with my supervisor about getting more support/help for the amounts of field work I do. I thought she listened, then she scheduled me for many more things in the next month. As you guys have probably figured out I'm frustrated with the unrealistic amounts of work heaped onto me... so I'm trying to keep this conversation going and will bring it up again. I'm not sure if I posted since I didn't post a lot over the summer, but I actually made myself sick trying to do too much over the summer. This can't continue.

In that light I'm excited that it's Friday! I've got a scalloping trip planned tomorrow with friends that will be lots of fun. The rest of the time, the usual exercise/walk the dog/hang with BF/house chores/get organizing for upcoming rehearsals applies. What are everyone's weekend plans?

Becky, enjoy your shmoozing. I can only imagine how lovely Michigan is this time of year. Anyplace cooler than FL sounds divine. My mom has gotten a promotion this year and gets to travel more for her job. I'm meeting her in Bermuda next month! She's going to China too, but I'm not invited on that trip. :p

Michele, sorry about all of your woes. Since you can't work out today, how about spending that time you would normally workout doing something nice for yourself to help your body rest and recover. An extra hour of sleep? Some meditation or listening to music you love? A bubble bath with a good book? Maybe some extra healthy fats to satiate you when you're munchy and cranky, and also to help your body heal itself? (I almost always skimp on fat when I cut calories, so I try extra hard to build it into my diet/when I'm cranky that's the first food group I consider needing.) Glad DS's new school year is looking so good.

(Note to self: Take own advice here re: treating oneself nicely when cranky/overstressed.)

Hey Chris, this radio gig sounds like it has great possibilities! Keep us posted! Sometimes maintaining our weight is the best we can do when there's a lot going on, and there's nothing wrong with that. Maintenance is a victory. I'm so glad the floods have missed you. It sounds like a terrible situation.

Shannon, I love Leigh Peele. She is very inspiring and a bad-a$$.

Have a great weekend all. :)

Shannon in ATL
09-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Oops - I put the Leigh Peele thing in the wrong thread. :) We were talking about it in the 5-10. LOL

Chris - the radio gig does sound fantastic!

Michele - I'm sorry for your stress, honey. :hug:

Becky - glad the open house went well! Enjoy your business trip next week.

traveling michele
09-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Megan-- I think I will go home after work and take a bubble bath! Dh and I are going out for sushi tonight but I should have time before.