Old 08-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #1  
Moving one day at a time

S/C/G: 450/399/160

Height: 5'2"

Default Literally stuck between four pounds.

I need some advice about plateauing. I'm sure I've plateaued previously in this diet, but I never had a scale of my own so I didn't actually know it was occurring until now. I have been eating "under" my allotted calories (My Fitness Pal says 2100, but I've been eating 1600-1700 for the most part) and don't think I'm retaining water. It's been two weeks and I can not seem to get past 387-391. Is there anything I can do specifically to jump over this hurtle? Is my body just "happy" being this big? I feel like the scale is never going to go down at this point, and it's depressing me horribly. Bad enough I'm this big, I figured people as big as I am have a much easier time dropping pounds.
wheezypi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #2  

Maybe go ahead and eat 2100 calories for a day? I know eating more calories every once in a while can give my body a jump. Almost like it's throwing my body a surprise and forces it to work harder to burn the energy. This of course is based on absolutely no science just personal experience.

I have also had periods of time (month) where I bounced around the same numbers for what seem liked forever. Eventually the weight came off in one big weight-loss chunk.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #3  
Trying again

S/C/G: 368/see ticker/218

Height: 5'9.5"

It could be that your body is feeling starved. I know for me I change my plan monthly .. some with higher calories (my max is 1900) and others lower (1600 min) ... I do know, weird as it sounds, you have to eat to lose the weight. I agree with above .. add the extra calories in your day ... really sounds like your body is not willing to let anything go until you give it enough to convince it that it wont starve. Being just under your daily target isnt a bad thing .. but the amount you are missing is probably an entire meal value.

What is a normal day of eating for you??? Do you have just the 3 main meals .. or are you on like a 6 small meal a day plan?? Lots of snacks ... or not many?? What time do you have your last intake of food? When do you drink your water .. and how much do you drink?? Do you drink coffee .. or diet drinks?? I try to have a glass of water before my meal, and another one during ... coffee down to once or twice a week, otherwise I drink green tea (with strawberry), also 250-500ml of OJ a day.

Whatever you do .. dont give up .. its only been two weeks or so ... its a long journey and sometimes you have to give your body time to adjust to a new routine....

I must be one of those lucky ones that it falls of fast to start with .. but then that can also be a curse .. because when you stop losing those numbers you start to doubt yourself and the negative thoughts start coming in, making it even more of a challenge. I have been on this journey off and on for years .. and while I fall off for months (or years) at a time .. every time I restart I have learnt what got me falling off last time and where I went wrong .. so now I know what could happen and how I can react more positively .. and every fall is a different one for me to get through.

PM me if you want a buddy to vent to
Nightkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #4  
awesomeness.

S/C/G: 350-ish/ticker/199

Height: 5'5"

What everyone says is true! Your body has gotten used to the lack of calories and honestly probably thinks it's starving. When I plateau, I up my food game which sounds insane but it always makes me lose in the end.
wishfuiiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 353/340/299 (for now)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fat2jump View Post
Maybe go ahead and eat 2100 calories for a day? I know eating more calories every once in a while can give my body a jump. Almost like it's throwing my body a surprise and forces it to work harder to burn the energy. This of course is based on absolutely no science just personal experience.
I was just going to post this! I was stuck around 299-305 and I noticed that once I increased my calories, the weight started moving again. I agree with everyone else that you should try eating 2100 calories (drink lots of lemon water) and see what happens.
Dreamgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #6  
Moving one day at a time

yeah, I have tried upping my calories for the past few days and I'm still not moving, it almost seems like I'm gaining because the numbers are slowly creeping up. now I've gained like 4 lbs in water weight, my feet hands and ankles and legs are swollen to ****. I think it might be the humidity :/

night, I'm a snacker, I eat 2-3 meals a day and have snacks in between usually. now that school started I'm eating 3 meals a day on the days I have to go in for 9 and maybe having a snack in between lunch and dinner and definitely after dinner. I'm going to give this a try for about a week but if it seems like I keep gaining weight, I'm going to cut back down. I have no idea why my body is so finicky
Old 08-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #7  
Trying again

I had an interesting experiment today ... yesterday I ate about half of my allotted calories (wasnt hungry and slept 12 hours after a bad day the day before) ... so was curious and popped on the scales this morning .. 304.28. Eeek I thought .. I have gone up on last week and yet I have eaten so little this week!! Sooo quickly at midmorning I had one of my shakes .. about 2 hours later I got on the scales .. 302.47. Just like that almost 2 pounds went .. and I wasnt doing anything like exercise ... so now that I have seen it happen I am going to try to make a more conscious effort to have breakfast or brunch at least each day ..

What is your sodium intake like?? I know that when I have a higher day I retain a lot of water .. could that be something that is affecting you??
Old 09-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #8  
Moving one day at a time

I try to limit salt because personally I just don't like it. I'm still not moving at all after eating more calories, so at this point I guess I'm just going to have to wait. I'm still fluctuating between like 389-392 or so now. how can I be gaining when I'm not even eating like a pig? all this effort and I'm seeing no results. this is why people stay fat. >_>
Old 09-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #9  
Trying again

Okee .. so the scales arent moving .. dont stress and focus on the numbers so much .. maybe distract yourself with another goal .. something in exercise .. or thinking about how you are feeling now (physically/healthwise) to how you were when you decided to start this journey.

I think the majority of this journey has nothing to do with w eight or food or clothes or even exercise .. its mainly MENTAL ,,,, not that you have to be mental to go on this journey sometimes .. but it sure does help!!

This really came home to me when a friend of mine had lapband surgery .. she was tired of her weight going up more than down, found it impossible to stay focused ... so for her health she chose this option. Admittedly I was a little envious wishing I could afford it .. but then I thought there are down sides to that as well so will just stick with whatever Im doing regardless if it takes 10 times as long. Anyway .. she lost soooo much weight .. I didnt see her for about 5 months and i almost didnt recognise her .. it wasnt an easy journey for her but I was really proud of her ... only thing was .. her brain hadnt come along for the ride. I think it was still in the "What if I lose this weight.." stage ... so whenever she looked at herself in the mirror she didnt like what she saw .... lots of loose skin sure .. but that too could be fixed .. instead of thinking that way she decided she was happier with the weight and figured out a way to cheat with the band!! I was so shocked .. and sad .. but she said to me she didnt think she was ready to be thin .. you get talked to differently apparently or looked at ... and she wasnt confident because it had happened so fast. Now I know this is not what all people who have this surgery experience .. I know a few people that are just elated with their new lease on life ... but it did remind me .. sometimes the longer road is a good one to go down .. it gives you time to adjust to the changes in yourself and others around you ... it makes every milestone a stone of confidence in your path.

I suppose its like a quick labour verses a long one .. at least with the long one you get time to build up to the birth .. a short one you go from feeling a niggle to ripping in two lol .. (I only think this cos that is what happened to me .... my daughter may have been almost 3 weeks late .... but when she decided it was time she broke the waters and appeared 17 minutes later!!)

Dont bring negative into it .. if something isnt going the way you wish .. focus on something else and give your body time to adjust. I was talking to a personal trainer today and she said you need to eat 6 times a day .. like every 2 hours!! Im like "huh??" but even if you tease your body with 3 grapes for a snack it will make your body think .. ok .. I can let some of this go cos there will be more coming .. she did say it will take about 2 weeks before your body understands properly .. but Im going to give that a go ... just have to convince myself breakfast really is something I NEED to eat . and a cup of chai latte doesnt count lol.

Hugs!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 365/270.4/265

Height: 5 foot 2

I got stuck for a while too so I just got rid of my exercise routine and did something totally different....started some small military style p.t. and I'm back to losing again. For me it works better than changing my eating. When I plateau again...it's time to add weights
sweetcakes736 is offline   Reply With Quote