Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat June 3 - June 9

BillBlueEyes
06-03-2013, 06:08 AM
This wearing shorts all day is just super. We had dinner on the patio with DW's garden about peak - just heaven, or like in the garden of Eden or sumpn'. We didn't break 100 degrees F this week, but came close.

Unfortunately, heat provides a good excuse to avoid walking so I've got to bite the bullet and just go out.

Welcome home Dagmar - that was one looooong dog sit.

Mudpie
06-03-2013, 06:30 AM
Thanks Bill! Yes it was a long haul. I think once a year this will be the norm for these clients - they are now both senior executive level in their respective fields and can take longer vacations.

I did lose 2 lbs. while there - the result of reading in the evening, rather than watching TV and snacking. :goodscale:

Glad you are able to wear shorts Bill - I am back to 3 layers today :brr:. Summer has apparently forgotten where Canada is.

Good week all - my gosh is it JUNE?

Dagmar :beach: :coolsnow: :lol:

saef
06-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Our weather was apparently more like Bill's than yours, Dagmar. The Columbus Circle neighborhood was sweltering on Saturday, and I was grateful to duck into an air-conditioned movie theater to catch a French film, "Augustine." Even the backs of my hands were slick with sweat.

Oh, and it seems that this summer, I'm supposed to buy a straw fedora with a wide black grosgrain hatband. I can't believe how many women walked past me wearing one of these. There was even a street vendor selling them, but I don't think he was everyone's source.

At least no problem picking up a healthy snack on the run -- there were plenty of street vendors selling fruit, and I relished my small bag of cherries in the dark theater.

It's time to think of abandoning the city on weekends and fleeing Upstate instead.

Mudpie
06-03-2013, 10:30 AM
saef Since DH decided to take the ultimate "suburban" step (for us anyway) and got us memberships in Costco we have been eating frozen berries and cherries. It's hard to get any kind of good cherries up here and I'm finding the frozen ones, partially thawed, to be the perfect evening snack. I'm glad you were able to find and enjoy yours.

DH and I tend to eat popcorn and drink diet cola at the movies. It's a "treat" evening for us and somehow, when we smuggled in our own drinks and pretzels, it diminished that sense of a special evening for us. I'm finding I can't finish a small popcorn now, although I have no problem guzzling a large cup of diet cola.

Dagmar :dizzy:

alinnell
06-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Careful with those berries, Dagmar. The ones at our Costco were (just last week) recalled due to them being tainted with hepatitis A.

We went to see Mud yesterday. Excellent movie.

It's just plain hot here. I don't think we've hit 110 yet, but we were close this weekend. So far, no golf on weekend mornings as we just can't bear it and we had too many other chores to do. DH spent two mornings on the roof--one to clean off all the solar panels (he does this at least 4 times a year) and once to clear debris from our roof drains and to cut some branches from trees hitting the house. I bathed the dogs and ran errands.

I started reading Inferno yesterday. Good book so far--a page turner at least.

And I've managed to get on the treadmill 7 of the past 8 days (took Friday off). Someone on another thread said she loved to read and hated to exercise so she made a pact with herself--she could only read on the treadmill. While I can't imagine sweating it out for my usual 2 hour reading spree, I have been taking my Kindle onto the treadmill instead of watching TV or listening to my ipod. The time does fly!

krampus
06-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Hello maintainers,

I'm back to my "normal" weight after overindulging EXCESSIVELY this weekend. I drank to intoxication for the first time and ate unreasonable amounts of poutine to calm my stomach Saturday night at 1 AM. Sunday was brunch with friends and we stopped at the Texas Roadhouse in Plattsburgh on the way home after being detained and searched at the border for an hour - hoooooly mooooly, their BREAD!

Back to normal today kinda. I represented my organization at our state Assembly's Legislative Disabilities Awareness Day from 10-2 today and had some floppy not-great roast beef sandwich. The cookies were shouting for my attention but I ignored their cries.

Landlord is in town, has offered to take us out to dinner tonight. He wants to move in and be our 3rd roommate and we don't want that, so the awkward "if you move in we're going to move out" talk needs to be had. Not looking forward to it.

CherryPie99
06-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Hi all!

Went out for lunch for my birthday today and excessively over-indulged, but I'm okay with that.

Then it was off to see the new Star Trek movie.

So far a low key and pretty cool day.

Jen

krampus
06-03-2013, 07:06 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Jen! Hope you are having the best day, it's PERFECT weather for celebrating :D

traveling michele
06-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Happy birthday Jen!

I'm still in Houston with dd. Today she rented an apartment! It's quite close to her school which we really appreciated when we got stuck in traffic for an hour this evening. Tomorrow we are looking at cars in the afternoon. The rest of the day will be spent getting pedicures with my BFF (we've been best friends since high school!), going to the gym, and getting sushi for dinner. That's the plan anyway!

It's weird to miss work for a week but I'm thankful I can help her. She's working on her thesis now as I snuggle with her service dog!

Forgot to mention that two of the apartment complexes we visited thought I was dd's friend, not her mom! Pretty cool!

neurodoc
06-03-2013, 08:53 PM
First watermelon of the summer today. Delicious, but I didn't realize until after I'd eaten it that it's nearly 50 calories per cup, and a cup is "hardly nuthin" where watermelon is concerned - I ate about 3 before I blinked.

Alinnell, nearly 110? That's unholy hot. I thought So Cal had the perfect weather? Or is that just San Diego and LA?

CherryPie99
06-03-2013, 09:29 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Jen! Hope you are having the best day, it's PERFECT weather for celebrating :D

Woman are you NUTS? It was freezing cold today!!!

Shannon in ATL
06-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Happy birthday, Jen! We saw "Into Darkness" for my birthday, too.

Mudpie
06-04-2013, 05:17 AM
Happy birthday, Jen! We saw "Into Darkness" for my birthday, too.

What did you think of the movie Shannon?

Dagmar :brr:

Mudpie
06-04-2013, 05:34 AM
Still not shorts wearing weather here - it's currently 8 degrees :brr: outside and my two cats want the heat back on please.

DH and I are attending an event at the request :coach: of his boss tonite. It's a benefit event for an organization that his boss has done work for so she was kinda suckered into buying a "table". It's actually a reception, silent auction, and silent movie screening. :D

DH's boss is showing up at the last minute and expects him to arrive earlier and "work the room" :blah:. DH is not a social person and this is making him really nervous as is the fact that it will be all wealthy socialite type people and we are "service". We don't have the appropriate wardrobe, haircuts, manis. etc. etc. so it will be really awkward. :(

DH is already angry :mad: about it (as he is about returning to work for this woman full time yet again) and I will hear a long tirade on the ride home tonite. He will also have the whole day to stew about it so I may hear a long tirade on the way down there tonite too. He didn't sleep well last night so that will add an extra layer of cranky :tired: to everything.

My suggestion last night was that we also have dinner at home, show up just before the movie, and I will make apologies and excuses :shrug: for not showing up earlier. I do have an elderly client in crisis mode so can use that, although I'm looking after her very elderly dog, not her. DH did not answer back so I have no idea or plan. :dunno:

I am going to say all of this to him this morning. I will show up a bit earlier and stand around feeling stupid if he demands that I do so but I think my plan is better. :yes:

Tonite I will enjoy the movie and I will make myself stay away from much of the reception buffet as it will probably mostly be snacky type foods.

I'm going to enjoy the cold :sunny: day with the dogs as much as I can as I know what's coming tonite. DH and I have been through this scenario many many times. What's different this time is that I will speak up this morning, rather than stewing about it and feeling anxious all day. :cool:

Dagmar :yoga:

bargoo
06-04-2013, 08:54 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEN !!!!!!

alinnell
06-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Happy Birthday, Jen!

Andrea, we're in the desert of So Cal, so yes, we do get outrageously hot temperatures. But our winters are divine! I'm not sure I could handle living near the coast here--the marine layer makes everything gloomy until midday.

We went to see Into Darkness the weekend it came out. Great movie! I loved the references to the old series.

ICUwishing
06-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Happy birthday, Jen!

Bill, I hear you on the heat. And the cold, and the humidity, and the bugs, and the bad pavement, and the stinky roadkills ... :lol: I've raised making excuses into an art form. Nike's right - Just Do It!

Dagmar, welcome back home! A 2lb loss is a nice benefit. :) I feel DH's angst about the social event. We have DS's 2nd-to-last private school function tonight (yay!) and while they're a long way from being agonizing, it's just not my "space". A lot of it does come from overthinking things, and I do find that a medicinal shot beforehand does grease the social rails quite a bit.

saef, it must be a lot of fun to be somewhere that there are seasonal, fresh trends in dress. Here in MI, we are simply swapping out our Red Wings jerseys for our Tigers ball caps! My galpal, who moved back to MI after spending 7 years in DC is having a little trouble with the adjustment. :D

Allison, great job with the treadmill! I wonder if I could find a way to set up my iPad so I can play Bejeweled on the run ... I should seriously explore that.

krampus, hope the dinner with the landlord went well, and he hears you out. Unless there's a major drop in rent that goes along with it ... I overdo it like you did about once every 5 years; I think it's some sort of weird need to see if hangovers still suck. The bad news is that as far as I can tell, they get exponentially worse as I age.

Michele, glad to hear you're enjoying TX and your time with DD!

I've been buried in DS's school year wrapups. He's finishing 8th grade and moving to high school next year; there's all sorts of "graduation" activities on top of the usual annual programs. He decided to bite the bullet this summer and do the morning (7-9am) 5-day/week swimming workouts with the gold-level team; it'll give him a chance to meet some of the high school swim team and the coach. I just have to figure out the driving stuff (as always!). :rolleyes:

alinnell
06-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Becky--a strange thing happened the first time I tried to read my Kindle on the treadmill. I set the kindle up against the control panel of the treadmill and suddenly the treadmill lit up with the results of the last workout. And then it wouldn't respond. I had to unplug the treadmill to reboot it. And then when I tried to turn on the kindle, it had turned itself off (I rarely turn it off--just black out the screen as it takes so long to boot up). I wonder what the relationship of the two electronic systems did to each other? In any case, no way could I play Bejeweled on the treadmill--too much concentration on the game. I have to pay a little more attention to the actual treadmill as I have this Louie cat who watches and has decided lately to take a ride with me. Yesterday I almost stepped on him as he whooshed down the tread! That said, I have found a placement of the kindle so that it stays put without having any electronic malfunction and I can easily "turn" the pages.

saef
06-04-2013, 11:55 AM
I have to pay a little more attention to the actual treadmill as I have this Louie cat who watches and has decided lately to take a ride with me. Yesterday I almost stepped on him as he whooshed down the tread!

The cat was on the treadmill? Yow!!! What did his face look like?

In my effort to relax my rigidity a little, I said "yes" to an email invitation to stop at a tavern yesterday at 6:30 PM. It was 25-cent chicken wing night, which didn't delight me as much as the other people on the email. I worried about this. I ended up eating dinner at home, rather quickly, at 6 PM, before heading out. I drank seltzer with lime, which no one questioned, and discovered a valuable piece of information: The tavern has a steak & portobello mushroom salad that looks absolutely delicious, and would have made a fine dinner for me. This once again suggested that I ought to let providence hold sway, and provide for me, when I go out into the world without any plans. Oh, and I had an okay time. Not wonderful, but the fact that I showed up means something. Also, the chicken wings weren't that tempting because they turn into a pile of unsightly bones.

I'm trying ... I'm trying ...

Megan1982
06-04-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm rather tired/cranky today because the dog has been up and down all night, a lot, lately, waking me up and needing extra bathroom trips around 2 AM. I think it's probably got to do with our later walking schedule (we come come from our 1+ hour walk around 8:30 PM and then she drinks water because it's hot outside, and in cooler months our walks are a few hours earlier) but I'm really not enjoying it! I feel like a mean person taking water away from a dog, but I guess I can give her some without letting her drink a half a bowl that late at night. I'm not sure if it's just the dog or I'm having trouble sleeping for other reasons, but am pretty restless at night despite being tired. Maybe it's the change in season.

Jen, Happy Birthday!!! :celebrate:

Dagmar, I would gladly send a few degrees of warmth your way if it were in my power. It is hot and muggy here. Blech. Good luck being social tonight. It is hard to make small talk when you feel uncomfortable, I know.

Saef, I hate that. When I eat a healthy dinner at home, and discover there is something healthy-ish and appetizing available after all. Maybe your friends will want to go to the same place again (is wing night a weekly thing?) and you will know about their menu now. Good for you for going out and accepting a last-minute invite!

Krampus, did your landlord just decide to move in out of the blue? Good luck and let us know how that conversation goes.

Becky, maybe you can take turns carpooling with someone who lives nearby for those early swim practices.

Michele, enjoy the time with your BFF! Sounds like fun!

Allison, Becky, I love to read on cardio machines. I have a good gauge of how much cardio I'm doing on the machines by how often I have to visit the library. There are clear plastic book holders like this (http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Treadmill-Book-Holder-Large/dp/B000C21CSU) that fit over most cardio screens that keep your book or reader secure. So worth it! Allison, did your Kindle have bluetooth enabled when you set it on the treadmill? Weird.

alinnell
06-04-2013, 01:48 PM
The cat was on the treadmill? Yow!!! What did his face look like?

Impossible to determine as the whoosh was quite fast! The previous day, he did the same thing, but behind me, so all I got was a bit of ruckus as he was catapulted (pun intended) off the end of the machine and he took off running in embarrassment to the bathroom!

Allison, Becky, I love to read on cardio machines. I have a good gauge of how much cardio I'm doing on the machines by how often I have to visit the library. There are clear plastic book holders like this (http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Treadmill-Book-Holder-Large/dp/B000C21CSU) that fit over most cardio screens that keep your book or reader secure. So worth it! Allison, did your Kindle have bluetooth enabled when you set it on the treadmill? Weird.

Hmmm, not sure that the kindle has bluetooth. I know the wifi was turned off. I usually have nothing extraneous turned on so that the battery lasts longer. There's nothing worse than being deep in a chapter and have the low battery warning boop go off!

CherryPie99
06-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the b-day wishes!

I usually can eat massive amounts of food without having a sugar crash, but I think that's what is going on today. I feel groggy and pissy - not a good combo!

And the scale was up - wait for it - 7 freaking pounds this morning!

Been 100% on plan so far today and am having salad with turkey breast on it for dinner tonight. I'm in a :NOT FAIR - I want to eat like a pig and not have any consequences" mood.

Jen

Mudpie
06-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Saw the aggressive belgian sheperd who almost took out my eye dump her owner on her *** this morning. Over a concrete traffic pole no less! Chortled with glee and then looked over and saw her other dog standing there patiently, head lowered slightly and tail tip wagging, waiting like the good dog she is for her owner to get up and collect herself. I felt so sad that this good old dog has to endure this sort of sh*t day to day. Felt like swooping out of my car, grabbing the good old girl, and driving away with her. Then I just drove away.

Dagmar :(

Shannon in ATL
06-05-2013, 01:15 PM
I've been working our catering office this week and am worn flat out. Also planning a gigantic baby shower for Saturday. We invited 69 people. I'm figuring 40 will show. And lamenting the fact that none of the other friends wanted to help with this behemoth. I have been great with food this week, though. :)

alinnell
06-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Shannon~that's a HUGE baby shower! Wow. Good luck!

Sorry for the weight issues, Jen. But I can totally understand. A month ago I decided I needed to really get into this loss thing again (even though I've been trying for over a year). Four weeks later, I've gained 2 pounds. Every morning I weigh higher despite my best attempts. While I did skip my workout yesterday due to a late arrival at home and no time before getting dinner going, I have already decided to go home early today and not only do my workout, but I'm going to add at least 20 minutes of HIIT either on the elliptical or the treadmill (thinking it'll be a bit easier on the elliptical).

Meanwhile, DH and I have gotten back into our DVDs of Breaking Bad. We finished season 3 Monday night and we're about half way through with season 4 (four episodes last night--stayed up past my bedtime!). And I just ordered the first half DVD of season 5 (the second half starts in August--right after we return from vacation).

CherryPie99
06-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Down 3 of the 7 pounds this morning and have been drinking water like a maniac to flush my system.

Feeling better today, both mentally and physically.

Your story Dagmar, about the Belgian Shepherd made me laugh and also made me so sad.

I don't normally run on Wednesdays, but today is National Running Day, so I decided to run today rather then tomorrow. I went my normal route and all of a sudden 4 dogs that I have never seen before went after a guy walking his Rat Terrier. Fortunately there was a lot of yapping and barking, but no fights. I ran around the whole thing and about .25 later, as I just about forgotten about it, this 4-5 month old Dalmation was under my feet. I almost went a$$ over tea-kettle but was able to regain my footing after (accidentally of course) kicking the poor dalmation in the side. I'm not sure who stood there more shocked - me or the dog!!

Allison, DH and I also watch Breaking Bad on DVD. Last season's ending (NO SPOILERS) was literally the first time in my life that I started screaming out loud at the TV and rewound and watched it at least 6-7 times. What an incredibly awesome show!!!!

Jen

alinnell
06-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Allison, DH and I also watch Breaking Bad on DVD. Last season's ending (NO SPOILERS) was literally the first time in my life that I started screaming out loud at the TV and rewound and watched it at least 6-7 times. What an incredibly awesome show!!!!

Jen

Oh, wow! I can't wait! We should get the DVD on Friday. I think we'll finish season 4 tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

saef
06-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Jen, belated happy birthday wishes to you ... and you are a better woman than I am because you were able to face an unfair 7-lb overnight gain without becoming suicidal. I know that would make me feel like giving up utterly, and I'd be in danger of a relapse. But you got back on track, continued with your good habits, and dropped more than half of it, again overnight. Now that is what maintenance is all about.

I had six meetings in CT yesterday ... yes, six ... and had to publish two documents quickly. At the end of the day I sat there, feeling a little shell-shocked, scrolling through eBay compulsively, with my mind shut off. I did that for nearly an hour. Had to make myself get up and leave at nearly 6 PM. Stopped at the grocery store but fortunately bought only what I'd written on my list. Ate dinner and then was in severe danger of bingeing. So I went to bed with a David Sedaris book. I still had a restless night.

Today, unsurprisingly, even after a morning session on the elliptical, I still feel not quite tip-top, in spite of this ravishing weather of sunshine and coolness. I can't believe how much a day like that seems to take out of me. This time it feels like I'm paying attention.

This week is all about paying attention, trying to be mindful. I know I can't live like that forever, but I'm seeing whether being more aware helps.

ChrisMohr
06-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Happy birthday Jen! And BTW I saw the new Star Trek (I've seen them all) in IMAX 3-D; my only complaint was that this volume was so high it made my ears ring. That actually means hearing damage. Wish I had known, I could have brought earplugs.

I've been overwhelmed with work preparing for my opera premiere in New York and then post-production presentations. Wow. Now I have time to post here again!

To summarize my first winter as a maintainer (and winters are when I always gain weight)... In my life I have lost 40 pounds twice, and 30+ pounds maybe three other times, including last year. Until this time, every time I would lose a lot of weight, I would gain it ALL back within a year. This time, with a lot of support from y'all, I lost 30 pounds, gained back ten over the winter, and am now easily in the process of losing that ten pounds. Not absolutely ideal, but way better than ever before.

Karen and I did a bike ride which was a 4200-foot ascent to the top of Independence Pass the day before the road opened for cars. Awesome views! A very tough ride. At the top, above timberline, there was six feet of snow and a paved road plowed right through the middle of it aqll (they use a lot of dynamite to open this road). I've done the bike ride before, always at the beginning of the summer because that's when it's before the road opens to cars for the season. That's also when I'm usually in my worst physical condition so it's extra-tough. This year it was a grunt but not nearly as hard to do, simply becauise I weigh 20 pounds less than when I did it last year! Now we are routinely biking up 1700-2600-foot ascents, several times a week. Them calories they is a burnin'!!! Not bad for two people about to turn 60. The only disappointment is that Karen got sciatica and can't take long hikes, but at least she can bike, amazingly enough.

bargoo
06-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Wow ! Chris that is some bike ride. I haven't been on a bike in years.
I have some Asian neighbors, they either walk or ride bikes to get around. They also do not eat many sweets. Are they slim and trim ? You bet.....sigh.

CherryPie99
06-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Jen, belated happy birthday wishes to you ... and you are a better woman than I am because you were able to face an unfair 7-lb overnight gain without becoming suicidal. I know that would make me feel like giving up utterly, and I'd be in danger of a relapse. But you got back on track, continued with your good habits, and dropped more than half of it, again overnight. Now that is what maintenance is all about.

I hope that you are right! I was feeling a little like a failure in the maintenance department on Tuesday. But another good day yesterday and I was down another 2 pounds this morning. But I've been really hungry this morning. Have restrained myself from snacking so far.

A weird thing happened yesterday - I posted here, but also on the Fitocracy website (the fitness site we've talked about a little here) about my efforts to build up my back muscles more with negative results.

A weight lifter on the Fitocracy site said that I should start increasing my calories because I am - based on the pic - "lean as ****" and that this could be hampering my efforts to build muscle.

His statement that I am "lean" has really freaked me out and I'm not sure why. I mean it seriously has been echoing in my head and making me uncomfortable. I don't know if it's because I don't see myself as lean at all and this is why someone else saying I am is causing a fight in my brain or what!

Of course they very thought of increasing calories - and gaining weight - is there, too, but it's more that statement that has me edgy and freaked out.

Jen

Megan1982
06-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Hi all,
TS Andrea has come and her effects are leaving us now with some much needed rain. It was not a big deal here, other than getting wet today. No injuries, property damage I've heard of here, though I'm sure others on the eastern side of the storm may not be so lucky (but I sure hope they are). My tomatoes are really happy and BF is out surfing because we have some good waves.

Jen, it is so hard to change our perceptions about ourselves. I don't have any good tips - it takes a lot of time. But this guy's comment re: increasing calories to gain muscle could have some merit. I know the idea of increasing calories is scary, too, but if that is really your goal, perhaps you could give it a try. It doesn't mean eating 2000 extra calories of junk. It means eating an extra few ounces of chicken or half the avocado instead of a quarter.

Chris, wow! What a ride! And also such a fun thing to share with Karen.

Saef, good for you for sticking to your grocery list and eating plan despite a stressful day. I often find myself staring at the internet mindlessly, too. It doesn't really help me, doesn't relieve any stress or relax me, so I often wonder why the heck I do it.

Shannon, wow, that's a big shower! Good luck! Way to stay on track with your food, too.

Dagmar, we can't save them all. It's sad but true. :(

Allison, hmm. Maybe your electronics shutting off was just coincidental.

Miss Emma is clamoring for her walk. Have a good evening all.

paperclippy
06-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Hey guys, I'm still here. Baby Allison might get to come home on Sunday! Baby Cecilia will probably need to stay a few more days. She'd been doing really well and we were talking about her coming home at the same time, but then last night and this afternoon had a couple incidents where she choked on her milk while eating and needed a lot of help to start breathing again. Last night they had to give her oxygen and we didn't need to this afternoon, but it was pretty scary (she turned blue, we had to rub her and pat her to get her to breathe and then she'd take a few breaths and stop again). In any case, they are not going to send her home until she stops doing things like that.

On the upside, they are both over five pounds now and Allison is doing really well with her eating! We're trying to get everything in order in the house, like buying diapers and bottles and such. I'm excited to have them home but I'm also kind of afraid of not having monitors on them to make sure they're okay all the time!

bargoo
06-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Hey guys, I'm still here. Baby Allison might get to come home on Sunday! Baby Cecilia will probably need to stay a few more days. She'd been doing really well and we were talking about her coming home at the same time, but then last night and this afternoon had a couple incidents where she choked on her milk while eating and needed a lot of help to start breathing again. Last night they had to give her oxygen and we didn't need to this afternoon, but it was pretty scary (she turned blue, we had to rub her and pat her to get her to breathe and then she'd take a few breaths and stop again). In any case, they are not going to send her home until she stops doing things like that.

On the upside, they are both over five pounds now and Allison is doing really well with her eating! We're trying to get everything in order in the house, like buying diapers and bottles and such. I'm excited to have them home but I'm also kind of afraid of not having monitors on them to make sure they're okay all the time!

Jessica, why not get baby monitors ?

saef
06-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Please, I could use your best wishes and prayers as Tropical Storm Andrea moves up the coast. There is heavy rain in the forecast, probably four inches or more in just a matter of hours, and you all know the history of my apartment complex, and our still ongoing petition before the Zoning Board to raise a floodwall. Well, since the petition has been deferred at each monthly meeting since February, we still have no wall. But we do have sandbags. As I write this, there's actually a payloader within sight of my French doors, shoring up our sandbag wall. I may actually go out and help heft sand bags at some point today.

What I want is to look like a hysterical alarmist after the storm comes & goes & we don't flood. That's preferable to sustaining another flood, which would also put our apartment complex financially underwater.

But at any rate, please pray that the storm changes direction, as Sandy did last year, or that the rainfall total is less than expected.

I will owe you all prayers in return, on the subject or person of your choosing.

bargoo
06-07-2013, 09:15 AM
saef, you are at the top of my prayer list. praying that Andrea will completely bypass your area and you and your neighbors will be safe from harm.

alinnell
06-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Saef~can't your HOA sue the Zoning Board if something happens? I hope Andrea passes over you with just a little rainfall--you know, just enough that the wildflowers are happy.

Jessica~scary about Cecelia choking like that. Hopefully she learns not to do that quickly! Happy that Allison may soon come home.

DH and I drove to San Diego for a construction show yesterday. Gosh, I hate that drive. DH drove down and I drove back and the last half hour is white knuckle. Why is it that coming down a steep, windy road causes me such panic? While I can take the right-hand turns with little to no discomfort, the left-hand turns almost made me want to vomit.

While in San Diego, we made some life decisions. We decided we can never live there because 1) it's too big, 2) it's too crowded and 3) we like the sun. June Gloom hung over the place and it was chilly (65 on arrival and 71 when we returned).

Shannon in ATL
06-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Thinking about you today, Saef.

And Jessia - I'm glad that the babies are doing so well and Allison might get home this weekend. I hope Cecelia comes home soon as well. :)

:wave: to everyone else. Catering week is almost over.

ICUwishing
06-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Update on Grandma, who was doing very well after the broken hip. She picked up C Diff. and after giving it a few days back in the hospital, made the decision to go into hospice care. Intellectually, I get it. Everything else - not so much. I know plenty of you have been on the rollercoaster and understand where I am.

saef, prayers for light gentle rains, an abrupt right turn of the storm, and a perfectly dry apartment complex!

alinnell
06-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Oh, Becky, so sorry about your grandma. C Diff is hard to get rid of (my Dad had it for 6 moths or more) and it's symptoms are rather aggravating, although I can't say that having it warrants hospice care unless she's decided to give up (which is what my Mom did). In any case, you're right--a lot of us have been on that roller coaster and know just what you're feeling. Hugs!

ICUwishing
06-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks, Allison. She's 97, and this was just the last straw. Between the antibiotics making her too sick to eat, and the pain from her hip and this bug, which has done some permanent damage already, she's had enough. Even if she beats it, there would be lasting effects that would decrease her quality of life. Now I know of two people that beat it - your dad, and our admin's aunt, who was in the hospital for an entire YEAR. My comfort food is going to be fresh sauerkraut for a long time (heh!).

bargoo
06-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Becky, I am sorry about your Grandma. CDiff is a tough bug to fight. My ex had it, he did not survive and he was much younger than your Grandma. This and other super bugs seem to be running rampant in hospitals and convalescent homes. My prayer for your Grandma now would be that she be at peace .

JayEll
06-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Just dropping in to say that Acidophilus capsules are helpful against C. diff. Yogurt does not have enough to fight the infection, so you need the capsules. You can find them in health food stores, but they are usually in the refrigerator case (need to be kept cold).

Real scientific studies have shown that this treatment is effective, but most docs don't know about it because it's not a drug that Big Pharma makes.

saef, good luck. We got heavy rain here in Tampa, but not an overwhelming amount.

Jay

Mudpie
06-08-2013, 05:29 AM
Jessica I hope baby Allison is able to join you and your DH at home and that all goes well!

saef Hope the storm bypasses you or there is little effect.

Becky :hug: re your grandmother.

I have a doctor's appointment this morning to deal with what I'm sure is an infected thumb. It's quite horrible looking and so sore I can't touch anything with it. I have been on antibiotics 3 times in 56 years and I believe it's time for a 4th round. I'm hoping whatever they give me will also take care of the now big and sore lump in my armpit.

If my doctor tells me to go and read a book (his advice when I had the back spasm and last saw him) I will slap him!

Dagmar :hyper:

saef
06-08-2013, 08:29 AM
I feel like Francis Scott Key this morning:

"...gave proof through the night ... that our sandbags were still there ..."

And so is my apartment. The water on the parkway did not even come close to overtopping the existing walls.

But last night was definitely not a good night, and I'm looking forward to my mother's arrival on a preplanned visit with mixed emotions. I really need to sleep this afternoon, after I return from the gym, and not plant flowers or pick up lawn furniture from Pier One.

Back out on a sunny, clear Saturday, with the elation of someone who's won a reprieve.

ChrisMohr
06-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Becky wishing you peace, saef happy for your reprieve!

After my first week of greatly increased exercise in the mountains (ah summer) I now have only about 7 1/2 pounds to go to get to the top of my ideal maintenance range. I haven't done any heavy-duty cleansing or strict dieting like I did last year when I lost 30 pounds, and this gradual rebalancing to my maintenance weight seems to be working nicely.

silverbirch
06-08-2013, 09:15 AM
It may be too late to catch you, Dagmar, but a big & sore lump in the armpit is definitely something to mention to the doc.

bargoo
06-08-2013, 10:15 AM
It may be too late to catch you, Dagmar, but a big & sore lump in the armpit is definitely something to mention to the doc.

Agree.

alinnell
06-08-2013, 11:11 AM

Yep. Both should be looked at closely. Lumps are not normal.

So far we're having a good morning. Lots of errands and chores to be done today and boy is it hot! I came home yesterday and thought "gee, this feels different" and then I realized the central AC was on rather than our evaporative coolers. Then I got a text from DS who said he and his friend were playing pool and realized it was very hot in the house, so they closed it up and turned on the AC. It was a welcome relief. I don't know the exact high yesterday, but it was at least 109. More of that to come, I'm afraid.

We're nearing the end of season 4 of Breaking Bad and I just got the first half of season 5 yesterday. I'm thinking marathon. We'll be inside where it's comfortable! And popcorn sounds kind of comforting. I've been "brewing" some rosemary olive oil just for the occasion.

Mudpie
06-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Watched the doc lance my thumb (no freezing - I guess he thinks I'm tough or something) and squeeze out all the gunk :barf:. He poked around in my armpit and announced that it probably was a swollen lymph node (to go with the infection in the thumb). :shrug:

No antibiotics, no nothin' :yikes:. He did put a bandaid on it (wow! :dance:), told me to soak the thumb in hot salted water, and to call him back if things didn't go back to normal in a week. particularly the lump - he wants to send me for all sorts of tests if that doesn't go away along with the thumb stuff.

I realize that all of the superbugs that people are dying from are mostly the result of things that have become resistant to the overabundance of antibiotics that have been prescribed over the years. But I think being told to buy some polysporin with antibiotics in it and being given a bandaid was a little too far in the opposite direction.

Unfortunately I have been to several other docs and my current one is the best of the lot. And he's open Saturday morning @ 8 a.m. so I don't lose a half day of work to go there. SIGH.

And I have to say that the thumb, after 2 soakings and applications of cream and new bandaids, is already much better. I can touch it now without wincing in pain. It's tender but bearable. DH no longer has to do up my buttons or shoelaces. :p

Dagmar :strong:

silverbirch
06-08-2013, 04:35 PM
That sounds good, Dagmar. Glad he'll keep an eye on the armpit lump. FWIW, we do a lot with hot salt water in this household. :)

BellaLucia
06-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Good luck to you, Dagmar. I've had a lump on my armpit, but it went away. It wasn't so big, though.

bargoo
06-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Dagmar, do not ignore that lump if it doesn't go away or if it does and comes bak, see a doctor.

Mudpie
06-09-2013, 05:21 AM
Dagmar, do not ignore that lump if it doesn't go away or if it does and comes bak, see a doctor.

I will. I have a history of cysts and lots of them in the breast area so I do all the stuff necessary - self exams, doctor's exams, mammograms, etc. I have had 4 cysts removed over the years and I am now wandering into TMI territory.

Dagmar :dizzy:

BillBlueEyes
06-09-2013, 05:45 AM
Glad that your sandbags held, saef. For all our rain, we saw no tree limb damage. There was no wind - it all fell straight down.

Glad you're healing, Dagmar - I've soaked in Epsom Salts for many an hour. It's hard to work without a thumb.

My goal for today is to avoid snacking my way through an event that will delay my lunch. The other option is to eat from the boxes of cookies that will be provided.

neurodoc
06-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Dagmar, your doctor is wise: the standard treatment for a "contained" infection (an abscess) is simply to open and drain it. Antibiotics are only necessary if there is a "cellulitis" - a spread of the bacteria into the tissues surrounding the area.

Saef, sorry you had another rainstorm. I think you're going to be skittish around "big weather" for years to come (a version of PTSD?), but the more of them that come and go without inflicting further damage, the more equanimity you will be able to feel when the forecast calls for storms.

My day sort of s*cked. I am on hospital duty this week, so I missed my youngest DS' 8th birthday party, spent the entire day in the hospital, and after dinner, DH and oldest DS had yet another set of arguments (the 6,748th) culminating in almost-15 year old DS crying in his room and DH devastated and furious, and both of them completely emotionally drained. I know this thread is not for major family emotional stuff, but it's hard to think about anything else right now.

traveling michele
06-10-2013, 12:25 AM
Hugs Andrea. So sorry. Family stuff can be so draining. My two dd's were here and they can't stand to be around each other for more than 24 hours. We tried to go to lunch and they had a hissy with each other and one stormed off saying some choice words (this was in the parking lot before we went into the restaurant). We managed to go into the restaurant and eat but it was tense. So, you're not alone!!

I'll turn the family issue into a food question to keep it somewhat on topic.... we had Vietnamese Pho Soup. Any idea how healthy that might be? We had chicken (the other option was beef). I've never had it before but LOVED it-- if it's a good choice I can definitely see having it more often. There are Pho restaurants all over the place here.