Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat May 28 - June 3

Happy Memorial Day holiday in the U. S. A good day to enjoy grilled food in right sized quantities. My childhood experience is that outdoor cooking always meant over eating. That thought just won't go away - I have to wrestle it to the mat every time.

We're planning a hike this afternoon on a local hill with a neat view of Boston and surrounding area. Maybe there'll be some birds, but hiking is the thing.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I still want to go horseback riding this afternoon, but my resolve is fading with the forecast of 92 degrees and thunderstorms, and also the pile of office work that I'm facing. I have to rewrite a non-native English speaker's draft of a business report in good, smooth, authoritative-sounding consultant speak. And I have to draft half of a PowerPoint presentation on how to write a particular document type for the rest of the writers in my dept.

There's going to be grilled meat and quinoa and black bean salad somewhere along the way, too, but that will be a pretty brief interval.

Last edited by saef; 05-28-2012 at 07:34 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning and enjoy your holiday Americans! Just a fly by (limited internet this week) - It's going to be a scorcher today in TO so all the dogs are definitely going to play in the lake.

Good day all and watch that BBQ intake Bill

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

saef and Dagmar, The forecast for today for Northern Cakifornia is 78 degrees. Read it and weep.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good luck with the BBQ Bill!

Saef,
Enjoy the horseback riding! Don't worry about the other stuff!

Still so sore from my Saturday boot camp! I'm debating doing both bikram yoga and a special Zumba class today. We will see if I feel up to both. My dumb scale is still up... Maybe fluid retention? But I figure if I do yoga and Zumba the scale is bound to move! Dd is gone all day so I'll be all alone anyway.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Had a horrible game of golf this morning. Couldn't find a par until #16. Got DS to go with us, and for him not golfing in about 18 months, he did exceptionally well. I wish he'd go more often so he'd get better and stop stressing about missing some shots.

Got so many little chores done around the house this afternoon and then ran some errands. Now I have the whole rest of the afternoon and I have no desire to do anything!

Our holiday dinner will consist of burgers (DH's and mine will be served on ww sandwich thins), broccoli slaw (made with low-fat, low-cal dressing) and baked beans (to which I'll allow myself a small spoonful). I meant to buy a pineapple while I was out and I forgot.

I did a few ab exercises after golf this morning and am looking forward to getting my dumbbells tomorrow for a full proper workout!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

The warmth outside and the humidity levels even at 5 AM this morning make me suspect this is going to be a long, hot summer. My gym clothes are hanging over the shower door, drying, and look like they've been washed rather than worn.

I canceled the horseback riding yesterday and rescheduled for next Sunday because I had too much work to complete and that fun thing was making me feel pressured. I am not sure I got enough done. This will be a rough week. Three meetings today and a lot to do before the end of the month. I deserve to buy myself an iTunes gift card at the end of it.

Now putting my head down and trying to focus for the rest of the day.

Last edited by saef; 05-29-2012 at 09:27 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #8  
Workin' It

Saef - it is going to be a hot one here, too. I ordered myself a 50 oz. camelback for runs in anticipation. Sorry you missed your ride yesterday, but it was a good idea to reschedule it if it was stressing. I hope that you get everything done this week and get to relax.

Allison - I last got dumbells at play it again sports, do they have those out there? I got a great rate on them.

Michele - I suspect that the boot camp is the cause of the fluid retention. Zumba and yoga should loosen them up a little.

Bill - outside cooked food just feels like it shouldn't be as bad for you.

I'm trying to get back into the real world today. TOM is killing me, my hands are swollen, I'm sleepy, blah blah blah.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post

Michele - I suspect that the boot camp is the cause of the fluid retention. Zumba and yoga should loosen them up a little.
You would think, but I'm still retaining horribly. Weight is even higher than yesterday with 3 hours of exercise! How is that possible? My dinner could be partly to blame though. I was by myself in the evening and planned to get myself sushi at a new (to me) place that I've been to once and loved. I drove out there and it was closed for Memorial Day! So I went to another restaurant (not sushi) and had a fairly indulgent meal. Even my knees feel swollen if that is possible from fluid retention?

Poor dh is really missing me and our house. He's been gone about 10 days and won't be back until June 9 so he's got awhile to wait. He is looking forward to our trip to Florida as something to hang onto.

I spoke to his parents yesterday and their dear (to them) doggie was just diagnosed with Lymphoma and only has weeks to live. They are devastated. She is elderly but they were still shocked. They are going to London mid June and will have to decide whether or not to put her to sleep before they go. I tried to be the voice of reason, but I have a feeling she may already be doing poorly by then which would make the decision somewhat easier.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #10  

Quote:

I'm trying to get back into the real world today. TOM is killing me, my hands are swollen, I'm sleepy, blah blah blah.
Hope you feel better Shannon!

Quote:

You would think, but I'm still retaining horribly. Weight is even higher than yesterday with 3 hours of exercise! How is that possible? My dinner could be partly to blame though. I was by myself in the evening and planned to get myself sushi at a new (to me) place that I've been to once and loved. I drove out there and it was closed for Memorial Day! So I went to another restaurant (not sushi) and had a fairly indulgent meal. Even my knees feel swollen if that is possible from fluid retention?

Poor dh is really missing me and our house. He's been gone about 10 days and won't be back until June 9 so he's got awhile to wait. He is looking forward to our trip to Florida as something to hang onto.

I spoke to his parents yesterday and their dear (to them) doggie was just diagnosed with Lymphoma and only has weeks to live. They are devastated. She is elderly but they were still shocked. They are going to London mid June and will have to decide whether or not to put her to sleep before they go. I tried to be the voice of reason, but I have a feeling she may already be doing poorly by then which would make the decision somewhat easier.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post

It is never easier.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:

Allison - I last got dumbells at play it again sports, do they have those out there? I got a great rate on them.
We don't have that store around here--I think that's a place my brother used 22 years ago to sell DH's and my ski equipment when we moved to the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post

That's too bad. Such a hard decision in the first place and then to kind of be forced to do it early, that's gotta be difficult.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
It is never easier.
You're right Bargoo. Wrong choice of words perhaps. I just have known them through the years and they have a hard time deciding when it's time.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Tired tired tired after 4 days of standing outside in the brutal Maryland heat watching death, thrash, doom and black metal bands. I had an amazing time and ate at roughly maintenance. Fresh Green supermarket salad bar was a great lifesaver. Way too many granola bars but what can you do? My weight is up to 130.0 this morning but yesterday saw weird sleep patterns, burgers, McDonalds breakfast at the airport, and too many chips/pretzels. Back to routine today and tonight. My new roommate is joining my gym with me!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #15  
Workin' It

Krampus - I'm glad that you had fun at your fest! I saw some pictures from some of the bands that played. I remember being young...

Michele - I'm so sorry about your in-laws dog. It is so sad, and never easy.

I just ate an entire box of mini charleston chews. I went to pick up a bottle of vitamins on the way into work and ended up with candy. Ack. It is that kind of day.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote