Weight Loss Support - Which bad habits would you like to quit?

freelancemomma
05-31-2013, 03:54 PM
The "Which bad habits have you quit?" thread gave me the idea to start a thread about the food-related habits we'd most LIKE to quit. Here are my top 3:

1. Trouble with remnants: I can keep one portion of food in the fridge, but half a portion? It drives my OCD brain crazy, so I usually end up eating it or throwing it out (most often a combination of both).

2. Difficulty resisting free samples. I virtually never say no to a free sample in a store, restaurant or on the street. It's almost like I'm trying to get away with something. Well, scratch the "almost."

3. Nibbling. I do a lot of extra nibbling during the day: a spoonful here, a sliver there... It's one thing if I'm eating veggies, but I've been known to nibble a muffin's worth of batter while preparing muffins.

I pledge to become more conscious of these habits next month (June) and take steps to change them. Anyone else?

Freelance

Mozzy
05-31-2013, 04:39 PM
I would love to be able to resist the rolls/bread basket at restaurants. It's a major weakness for me.

Also, I wish I wasn't so picky about food (not liking something because of texture or temperature or whatever.)

elvislover324
05-31-2013, 04:41 PM
I have been doing pretty good with some of my issues but they are still on my mind consciously. These are things I still want to change as it's so easy to fall back into my old habits.

For food samples, now I pretend that someone else could have touched the one I would take so it's "contaminated" so I better not eat it because I'm a bit of a germophobe (my food addiction was stronger than my fear of germs in the past).

Someone else here (Betsy maybe? I apologize if I'm wrong!) had said months ago that they don't eat anything if they aren't sitting down. That really helped me stop eating all of the time. I was in the awful habit of eating while I was waiting to eat (i.e. munching before meals).

I don't eat in my car anymore unless it's an absolute emergency [i.e. traveling home from a doctor's appointment that I had to fast for, on my way into a threatening (foodwise!) environment, such as dinner at a restaurant, the ball park, or the movie theater, etc. that would help me put 100lbs on overnight].

These 3 changes drastically reduced my mindless eating but as I said above, I think about it all the time! I hope in time it may become more natural.

PreciousMissy
05-31-2013, 05:04 PM
The consistent excuse making as to why I don't need to/am unable to exercise.

joefla70
05-31-2013, 05:09 PM
The "Which bad habits have you quit?" thread gave me the idea to start a thread about the food-related habits we'd most LIKE to quit. Here are my top 3:

1. Trouble with remnants: I can keep one portion of food in the fridge, but half a portion? It drives my OCD brain crazy, so I usually end up eating it or throwing it out (most often a combination of both).

2. Difficulty resisting free samples. I virtually never say no to a free sample in a store, restaurant or on the street. It's almost like I'm trying to get away with something. Well, scratch the "almost."

3. Nibbling. I do a lot of extra nibbling during the day: a spoonful here, a sliver there... It's one thing if I'm eating veggies, but I've been known to nibble a muffin's worth of batter while preparing muffins.

I pledge to become more conscious of these habits next month (June) and take steps to change them. Anyone else?

Freelance

Nibbling! that is my number 1 biggest obstacle. And particularly the late night variety which can turn into binging if I am not really careful.

P.S. There are calories in free samples?!?! Doh!!!

lin43
05-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Freelance, your #1 and #3 apply to me as well. Another bad habit I would like to break is the compulsion to completely finish something tasty once I've started it (this may relate to #1). For instance, I love Talenti Sea Salt Caramel gelato but I had to stop buying it because every time I would open a pint, I felt compelled to finish it. There's something so satisfying about eating straight from the pint (rather than putting it in a bowl) and finishing it. I wish I would learn to eat one portion, and put the rest away for another time.

JohnP
05-31-2013, 05:54 PM
Drinking. Wait ... these are habits I would like to quit.

Hmmm ... trick question? All the "bad" habits I have I don't want to stop. :D

Desiderata
05-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Giving into takeout/going out to eat because I don't feel well and want something "extra tasty."

(... Gonna admit I'm teetering on the edge of doing that this very moment! So maybe another bad habit I'd like to quit is rationalizing bad decisions. :lol:)

PumpkinPositive
05-31-2013, 07:02 PM
The consistent excuse making as to why I don't need to/am unable to exercise.

This.

And mindless eating when I'm alone.

pnkrckpixikat
05-31-2013, 07:28 PM
boredom eating

&

the compulsive need to finish something that is tasty even if I am full

Psychic
05-31-2013, 07:36 PM
the compulsive need to finish something that is tasty even if I am full

^ This. This so much.

Oh, and I need to stop drinking soda again. I barely drank it at all over winter, but in the last month, I really started picking up the habit again. I don't even like soda. :dizzy:

thewalrus0
05-31-2013, 07:43 PM
Well the last big habit that is holding my weight loss back is the actual overeating in the evenings.

I do good all day, sometimes for days, but eventually break down during the evening one of those days. Not sure why, but I'm working on it, and trying to break it.

Ultimately I have pretty good habits otherwise. I just frequently break down and overeat. Not because I'm hungry or not getting enough nutrients, it's just a mental urge to eat too much.

I think I'm making good strides though. :D

ICUwishing
05-31-2013, 07:46 PM
June shall be the month that I banish the habit of furtively snacking when I find myself alone.

luckymommy
05-31-2013, 09:19 PM
1. Binge eating (either to relieve stress or for no reason at all).

2. I think about food/my weight obsessively

3. chewing gum every single night (2-6 pieces....I've even had a whole pack over the course of some random evenings when I wanted to binge really bad).

4. Not sleeping well...I've been up since 3:15 a.m. and that's not good.

Vex
05-31-2013, 10:21 PM
1. Not being able to 'waste' food, especially if I've paid for it. For example, if my son has leftover fries from somewhere, I'll eat them instead of throwing them out.

2. The "end" pieces of bread. No one eats them in my house, so I do. I guess that relates to #1.

3. Doritos.

the shiv
06-01-2013, 12:36 AM
1. Reading absolutely everything I can find about diet, nutrition and exercise. I've educated myself a bit about these things, and can go off on tangents and end up thinking I need to do EVERYTHING perfectly right away... Which busts my head, I forget to be mindful about how I'm eating/exercising, and throw myself onto a plateau. To satisfy my need for information, I'm going to focus on learning about one thing at a time (right now it's... I haven't decided yet! ;) ) and experiment with that one thing until it all fits, then move on.

2. Unnecessary stress. I've had a rough few years, and stress has become a bit of a deeply ingrained habit. When I'm stressed, I become depressed. Which is bad enough, but then I add in self-sabotage. I want to do my best to pick my battles, get through stressful situations as quickly and easily as possible, and move on. And let the rest slide. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm actually happy and I love my life. It's like CBT, really. I like my circumstances (mostly), I just need to keep reminding my brain it's not 1, 2, 3, 4 years ago... Things are different now, and I have to actually re-learn how to be happy, because I'm so completely out of the habit of it.

3. Sleep! Damn insomnia. I work bar shifts as well, so it's often getting light when I get in from work. I'm a night owl but that still feels weird. I'm hoping this will get easier to manage as I bring the stress down and learn to relax :)

4. Still sitting on my a** too much. When I walk every day I lose weight. I have the diet part quite well organised. But for some reason I keep un-prioritising it. I have to remind myself that being organised enough to be up in time to walk to work means I can add this into my day with the minimum of mental effort. And there's so many exercises I'd love to do, and I'd love to join a gym... But if I can't form the habit of getting out the door every day, I can't make the habit of walking to and from the gym! I seriously need to re-attempt formation of this habit.

So, everything I want to change is residual cr*p I still do that doesn't benefit me in any way. You can forget about me quitting coffee, diet Pepsi, tea, caffeine, booze, and cake! I actually LIKE those habits :rofl:

I just need to keep it in my mind that changing these things can only HELP - there's no drawback for me except the initial exertion it takes to re-form the habits. Too good a deal to pass up!

Thanks for starting this thread, Freelance :) It really helped me to re-focus :)

crispin
06-01-2013, 09:46 AM

:lol: Me too!

I think the only one I'd like to change is being more consistent with exercise. I'll go through chunks of months where I do it 6 days a week, then chunks where I don't at all.

Pink Hurricane
06-01-2013, 01:35 PM
I want to quit a few things!

*Negative thoughts overtaking positive ones about myself!
*Nibbling
*The way I deal with stress, there are more effective ways

Emma4545
06-01-2013, 05:19 PM
1. wanting to use food as a crutch to get me through the day.

2. looking to candy as something that will fill me up and easily eaten on the run.

3. quitting too early on exercise.

Arctic Mama
06-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Definitely nibbling. I am usually good about logging these and do it worlds less than I did even a year or two ago. But I nibble more than I want.

geoblewis
06-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Staying up too late. I started doing it years ago when I couldn't sleep. Messes with my sleep cycle, then I can't go to sleep at a proper time for nights in a row. Then I overeat in order to stay awake. Bad habit, leads to a cascade failure of my objectives.

Chronostasis
06-01-2013, 07:48 PM
1. Using food for emotional comfort (a big one for me!)
2. Going along with #1, overeating significantly at family meals to avoid conversation or boredom. I tend to eat quite quickly, but family meals normally involve being required to sit idly on a hard bench for 1-2 hours while people yell at each other. That leaves nearly 1-2 hours of absolutely nothing to do but eat while feeling emotionally vulnerable. :(
3. Giving up on exercise because things don't go the way I plan (e.g. treadmill isn't working, it's raining, I can't find my shoes, none of my workout pants are clean, there are no towels I can take with me swimming, someone borrowed my bike helmet and didn't return it...there's almost always something)

Mountain Mamma
06-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Nibbling. I do a lot of extra nibbling during the day: a spoonful here, a sliver there... It's one thing if I'm eating veggies, but I've been known to nibble a muffin's worth of batter while preparing muffins.
Freelance

Nibbling is understandable. What is NOT understandable is finding myself nibbling on stuff I don't care for, such as DH's sugar-free candy! If I don't like it, what are these empty wrappers doing in MY jeans pockets????? :?: :?: It's like my mouth has a life of its own. Anyone else do this?

rubidoux
06-01-2013, 09:43 PM
I was gonna STOP MY NIGHTTIME SNACKING tonight. But now it's 6:40 and I just finished my dinner and entered my stats into my tracker and I just don't have enough calories to call it a day. I'm kinda bummed bc I was really gonna do this today. OTOH, there is that little piece of me that is greatly relieved.

Anyway, for like my whole life I was a bad nighttime snacker and then a couple of years ago I broke myself of it and I was so pleased that it was FUN for me to get through a night without a snack. Like, I looked forward to night time and tv watching and such bc I felt so great about being able to do it. lol And then I let it sneak back in. I do feel now like at least, if I manage things a little better than today, it is within my control.

Tibbits2u
06-02-2013, 12:03 AM
1. stop fixating so much on food ! i dont cheat on my diet ever..but i find myself constantly fixating on when my next meal is, what i am going to make, ect.

2. Biting my nails. its a really gross habit and one i cant seem to break.

thats about all i can think of really. i'm sure there are more but its late.

ShaMac
06-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Overeating on the weekend is one of the many bad habits I had that will not go away. I eat at home mostly during the week so on the weekends I allow myself to go out to eat and I just can't seem to stop, even when I'm full. I eat until it feels as if my tummy is going to explode, and it hurts to get up from the table. I will do better starting today!

freelancemomma
06-02-2013, 06:34 PM

I've got a few of those, too. I can find no earthly reason to stop drinking high-quality coffee, wine (a cup a day), or eating my "good" carbs.

F.

Em Coconut
06-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Grabbing that unnecessary meal replacement bar/other very easily available food when I'm feeling instantly down. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it's still a bad habit I want gone.

Feeling the need to eat something when I watch tv-shows or movies.

Planning what to eat when I finally get some alone time when I don't even need to eat something.

Finishing tasty meals even though I'm full before it's gone...

Happymomof2
06-02-2013, 07:56 PM
1. Mindless eating
2. Emotional eating
3. Eating when not hungry
4. Constantly thinking about food
5. My constant desire for junk food

Whew... Thats feels good to get that all out in writing and really take a look at it, wow!

caryesings
06-02-2013, 08:54 PM
June shall be the month that I banish the habit of furtively snacking when I find myself alone.

This. I have lived alone my entire adult life, including when I lost the weight so I obviously don't need someone to watch me to control myself. Yet since my beau and I have been together (2.5 years now), somehow "alone time" has become "eat junky food in amounts I did when I was fat".

ReillyJ
06-02-2013, 08:56 PM
i just wish i had a "normal" appetite. it isn't normal for a female. i can probably match any male at food intake and i wish i got full very quickly and was picky like my best friend and my husband and that food wasn't that important!

well that wasn't bad habits as much as it was a wish list!

freelancemomma
06-02-2013, 11:13 PM
i just wish i had a "normal" appetite.

Same here. I have a much larger appetite than my husband. In the 19+ years I've known him, I've never seen him pig out. A massive indulgence to him is having an extra helping of turkey and stuffing at Thanksgiving.

F.

Radiojane
06-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Calling this a bad habit would be extremely optimistic, as it's actually majorly disordered eating. I may have changed WHAT I eat, and I may have lost some weight, but I can still binge like crazy, and eat so mindlessly it's insane.

I also need to stop living and dying by the scale. An "up" day, even an expected one will plunge me into a major depression.

Silverfire
06-06-2013, 12:46 PM
1. Nibbling! That's a tough one. Like JohnP said, it's sooooo easy for it to turn into binging. Mindless eating fits in with this too...

2. Red Bull

krampus
06-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Greenery causing munchies, not doing my cognitive skills or waistline any favors.

freelancemomma
06-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Greenery causing munchies.

Very creative euphemism!

;) Freelance

Missys Mom
06-06-2013, 03:25 PM
I would really like to be able to get away from the bingeing and mindless/boredom eating when I dont have anything else to do.....right now the bingeing is a HUGE problem, however, I find I am doing it less than I was a few days ago.....I have been through a great deal the last six weeks and the bingeing has become an issue....its probably just a phase I know but its getting in the way of my weight loss and I am extremely disappointed in myself.

Silverfire
06-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Greenery causing munchies, not doing my cognitive skills or waistline any favors.

:lol: I love it. I also have this problem. BIG TIME. But that ties in with "mindless" eating haha!

francesy
06-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Bingeing is my worst habit as well - so I'm going to go binge-free for the rest of the month... I can do this!

* I also have a sweet tooth that I'd love to curb, it's my greatest downfall when it comes to eating in restaurants!

Euphy
06-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Eating sweets. I managed to kick my soda habit, but I've loved sweet food my entire life. It is a serious addiction for me. Fruit doesn't help my cravings at all. I can say no to pretty much anything except desserts and candy, and if I don't get it, I literally get angry and depressed.

changeforme
06-06-2013, 05:27 PM
I can say no to pretty much anything except desserts and candy, and if I don't get it, I literally get angry and depressed.

omg me too! I feel proud of myself a few hours later when the intensity has worn off if I resisted a craving, but jeeeesh - you'd think someone just kicked me in the shins and called me ugly the way I act when I don't get what I want when I want it. I know it's a problem for me, and one I am definitely focusing on. We ordered pizza at work the other day and I resisted, ate my healthy meal, but I griped about it for hours, it was so stupid. I need to turn my inner brat off.

oxalis
06-06-2013, 07:03 PM
first post!

1. Overeating at family functions. Anytime I am around family & food it is the death of my diet. I shovel it in.

2. Using too much cream & sugar in my coffee; it's adding up, I know it.

3. Grabbing 2 or 3 Skinny Cow Heavenly Crisp bars whenever I'm in the checkout line, to eat in the car; even though they say "skinny" on the wrapper, they're still candy bars :/

mygirlvj
06-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Smoking...oh man I wish I didn't smoke. Really want to get this weight thing under control and then I'll tackle that one.

I'll be 40 at the end of next year so the goal is to quit before then. Here's hoping :)

betsy2013
06-07-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm sure there's probably a limit on how long the posts can be, so I'll just focus on the habits that are sabotaging the weight loss effort! ;)

1) Stick with the "rules" -- Elvis, the sitting rule sounds like me, but I've begun to realize that sitting in the recliner eating peanut butter out of the jar probably doesn't count as always sit to eat!

2) Honestly record my food intake -- I do weigh things, but tend to skip on anything that is less than a tablespoon -- like butter on toast or bar-b-que sauce. They add up.

3) Repeating the same mistakes. I'm currently losing the same 10 pounds that I've already lost twice in the last two months. When I think of what I could weigh........

That's enough. If I could break those, I'd be off to the races on weight loss.

Dottington
06-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Love this thread, can really relate to some of the things others are saying.

For me....it's really going out to eat that does me in. I'll do wonderful for a few days, but then someone will ask me out to dinner and when I'm taken to a delicious restaurant(especially thai or indian or my favorite vegan place) I can't resist ordering yummy calorie ridden food :( And doing that 2-3 days a week totally undoes all my great work and I end up just maintaining. I realized this recently though and am really working on it!

kwin1973
06-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Well the last big habit that is holding my weight loss back is the actual overeating in the evenings.

I do good all day, sometimes for days, but eventually break down during the evening one of those days. Not sure why, but I'm working on it, and trying to break it.

Ultimately I have pretty good habits otherwise. I just frequently break down and overeat. Not because I'm hungry or not getting enough nutrients, it's just a mental urge to eat too much.

I think I'm making good strides though. :D

Yes this is my problem too! I am fine all day and then in the evening after dinner I always want to snack. The way I have been combating this is by going to the gym at 7 or 8 in the evening (when I would usually snack) and by the time I get home I am exhausted and just want to go to bed. It seems to be working pretty well so far!

Joanne M
06-12-2013, 06:35 AM
I like cake batter and chocolate chip cookie dough is the best. Lucky I don't bake to often.

CIELOARGE
06-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Eating crap while on play dates!! It rains all the time here, so we usually go to indoor places with playgrounds, coffee and food!! It's soo easy to eat, eat and eat while you are talking!

My kids are a little bit older, and they play with their friends, so us mommies get to sit on our butts and play catch up! :D :D Fun, but very calorie heavy!

seize the day
06-12-2013, 04:00 PM
1. Like many of you, I have a soda drinking habit that I need to kick (I love diet coke and can easily drink a 2 liter in a day)

2. Going along with 1, I need to cut down on Caffeine

3. Obsessing over food and thinking about it all the time.

4. Having a go-to food that I eat insatiably (I can eat an entire jar of pickles in one sitting and in less than an hour)

5. Chipotle (or really any mexican restaurant) I know the portions are huge, they are full of salt etc. but I love mexican food and while I try to do healthier options (generally low carb options), I know that if I kicked this habit, my weightloss goals would be easier to reach.

fighterchic
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
stop looking at the pinterest food and drink section!!!!!!

freelancemomma
06-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Having a go-to food that I eat insatiably (I can eat an entire jar of pickles in one sitting and in less than an hour)

Hey, at least it's not a jar of Nutella. I've been known to eat a 400 g jar in an hour -- that's over 2,000 cals of pure sugar and fat. On the plus side, although Nutella remains one of my favourite foods, I'm now able to keep it in the house (for my kids) without dipping in more than occasionally.

F.

seize the day
06-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I'm lucky that I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I just wish I could end my binging entirely instead of trading in a regular binge for "safe-food". I worry that the high acid and sodium content in pickles will end up being a problem for me at some point.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you manage to have nutella self control?