Ideal Protein Diet - Quest Bar as an alternative

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Quest Bar as an alternative

amberjules
02-24-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm hoping that somebody who's been on alternatives for awhile could review this product for me. I found out on a website for people who eat clean and workout which means controlling carbs:

http://www.questproteinbar.com/?gclid=CMXe5oX4z7UCFe1_QgodmRMAJg

It looks like it's high in carbs, but it's also high in fiber so net carbs would make this unrestricted.

Anybodies thoughts?

amberjules
02-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Oh...and it's sweetened with Stevia which is another plus!

evepet
02-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Several of us on alternatives have been using the various Quest bars fairly frequently. They are definitely suitable. And tasty. They're mentioned on and off in the various threads about alternatives being used.

scorbett1103
02-24-2013, 05:08 PM
It depends on which bar you are talking about.

The vanilla almond, mixed berry, peanut butter supreme, peanut butter jelly, and coconut cashew are no good - calories from fat is more than 30% total calories.

The others look ok.

IdealProteinNewbie
02-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Some are definitely too high in fat, but the Apple Pie, Banana Nut Muffin, Lemon Cream Pie and Strawberry Cheesecake seem to be ok.

amberjules
02-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Thank you for reminding me about the fat. So then we actually do go by net carbs right? Is the rule that net carbs of 8 or more is restricted? Then as Scorbett pointed out, no more than 30% of fat from calories?

Thank you everyone for chiming in.

scorbett1103
02-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Thank you for reminding me about the fat. So then we actually do go by net carbs right? Is the rule that net carbs of 8 or more is restricted? Then as Scorbett pointed out, no more than 30% of fat from calories?

Thank you everyone for chiming in.

Yes, you go by net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber). 8g or less is unrestricted, 9g-16g is restricted, 17g is very restricted.

Alternatives should also be under 200 calories, less than 30% total calories from fat, and at least 12-15g protein.

amberjules
02-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Yes, you go by net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber). 8g or less is unrestricted, 9g-16g is restricted, 17g is very restricted.

Alternatives should also be under 200 calories, less than 30% total calories from fat, and at least 12-15g protein.

Okay that makes sense. I was so excited to find some interesting looking bars that were unrestricted that everything else flew out the window about calories and fat. Glad I have you all! :D

lisa32989
02-24-2013, 07:18 PM
These would still be restricted, at least last time I looked at labels.
But the ingredients are much more acceptable to me than all the soy in the IP bars

scorbett1103
02-24-2013, 07:21 PM
But the ingredients are much more acceptable to me than all the soy in the IP bars

The ones that aren't too high in fat are actually unrestricted - they use a particular kind of vegetable fiber that reduces the net carbs down below 8g.

ragdoll74
02-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Glad this question was asked. I have to go to a conference in California the week after next, and was trying to find a ready to eat unrestricted that I can put in my carry-on. The conference is at the Beverly Wilshire and I can't see pulling out my IP shaker and packet during the breaks.

lisa32989
02-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Rag doll: get the ones from the 100% natural line. They have better numbers.

ragdoll74
02-24-2013, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the tip!
I ordered individual bars to try at netrition, and of course the 3 I picked weren't the 100% natural. I did check the nutrition on the bars I ordered and they were ok.
I might stop at GNC on my way home from work tomorrow to see if they sell the 100% natural ones individually. I don't want to have to buy a box in case I don't like them.

amberjules
02-24-2013, 09:58 PM

What would make it restricted?

amberjules
02-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Glad this question was asked. I have to go to a conference in California the week after next, and was trying to find a ready to eat unrestricted that I can put in my carry-on. The conference is at the Beverly Wilshire and I can't see pulling out my IP shaker and packet during the breaks.

Oh why not?! LOL :D

mompattie
02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Quest peanut butter chocolate from the natural line are AMAZING!!!!!

lisa32989
02-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the tip!
I ordered individual bars to try at netrition, and of course the 3 I picked weren't the 100% natural. I did check the nutrition on the bars I ordered and they were ok.
I might stop at GNC on my way home from work tomorrow to see if they sell the 100% natural ones individually. I don't want to have to buy a box in case I don't like them.

They make a combo box. That's what I bought. I think they're all good!

amberjules
02-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments. I didn't even realize they had a natural bar until Lisa mentioned it. I think you can also buy it on Amazon.com which is typically a bit cheaper than stores.

JenRem
02-25-2013, 01:19 AM

I'm a little confused.... Are you referring to the Quest Bars?
Is there a 100% natural line of Quest Bars and another type of Quest Bars?

Thanks Lisa (or anyone) for clarifying, :) Jen

lisa32989
02-25-2013, 01:37 AM
Right on their website there is the 100% natural & the 9x% natural. 100% has better numbers I got a mixed box so I could try all the flavors if the 100% line

WorldTraveleronIP
02-25-2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments. I didn't even realize they had a natural bar until Lisa mentioned it. I think you can also buy it on Amazon.com which is typically a bit cheaper than stores.

Hi Amber-I use these bars occasionally for snack and so far they are not triggering me to want more like IP bars. The chocolate peanut bar is super yummy and filling.

I also have to say congrats to you on your loss and updated photo; you look fantastic! :flow1:

ragdoll74
02-25-2013, 08:16 AM

I'll look for that one then. Thanks!

DontGiveUp17
02-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Oohh.. let us know which ones you try and like. I think I'll get some of these Quest bars and try them. I'm so excited they are sweetened with Stevia! I've been using the Atkins Peanut Fudge Granola Bar and Atkins CHocolate Chip Granola Bar, which are a little higher in fat and calories but my metabolic Dr. told me there were fine for me since I tend to lose weight a little faster when I add a few calories and fat to my plan. However, even if they come under 8 net carbs, I still only have one a day or have half one part of the day and half another part of the day. Protein bars are my way to get through my sweet cravings! ANd I love the price! I still can't believe the IP bars are $27 for 7 bars! Ouch!! I can get the Atkins bars at Target for maybe a $1 a bar. Thanks again for the info!

DontGiveUp17
02-25-2013, 11:43 AM
I found the Quest bars at this website for the cheapest it seems.. http://www.vitadigest.com/quest-nutrition.html. They have a coupon code of "cupid2save" to get 4% off your order and free shipping if you spend over $100. Otherwise, it looks like Netrition has them too. But I think I might order the sample pack from questproteinbar.com website.. and if you use "sample" as a coupon code you get a free sample and free shipping or if you use "hero" as a coupon code, you get free shipping. Thanks y'all!

Fabulousatfifty
02-25-2013, 11:50 AM
:?:Good Morning, almost afternoon now.

I am starting week 4 on IP = down 12.4 pounds. I am really struggling with morning hunger. Even when I have a restricted breakfast (like oatmeal), I seem to still be hungry after I eat. I then drink tea and water to get me through to lunch at 12 noon. This morning I had a mid morning snack of 1 cup celery sticks and WF blue cheese dressing which I enjoyed.

Yesterday I at my protein (meat) for lunch, and that helped. But having my main meal at dinner is just not working.

Has anyone else had the bad hunger in the morning? Also is the Chicken a la King soup retricted? It was very tasty with Brocolli but it is not on my center's restricted list.

Keep up the good work ladies (and gents)!:)

scorbett1103
02-25-2013, 12:26 PM
:?:Good Morning, almost afternoon now.

I am starting week 4 on IP = down 12.4 pounds. I am really struggling with morning hunger. Even when I have a restricted breakfast (like oatmeal), I seem to still be hungry after I eat. I then drink tea and water to get me through to lunch at 12 noon. This morning I had a mid morning snack of 1 cup celery sticks and WF blue cheese dressing which I enjoyed.

Yesterday I at my protein (meat) for lunch, and that helped. But having my main meal at dinner is just not working.

Has anyone else had the bad hunger in the morning? Also is the Chicken a la King soup retricted? It was very tasty with Brocolli but it is not on my center's restricted list.

Keep up the good work ladies (and gents)!:)

You probably want to post this in the Daily thread (I think Lisa just opened it up) - this thread has a specific subject and you will get more responses if you post in the daily :)

ragdoll74
02-25-2013, 12:28 PM
I found the Quest bars at this website for the cheapest it seems.. http://www.vitadigest.com/quest-nutrition.html. They have a coupon code of "cupid2save" to get 4% off your order and free shipping if you spend over $100. Otherwise, it looks like Netrition has them too. But I think I might order the sample pack from questproteinbar.com website.. and if you use "sample" as a coupon code you get a free sample and free shipping or if you use "hero" as a coupon code, you get free shipping. Thanks y'all!

Great thanks!

amberjules
02-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Hi Amber-I use these bars occasionally for snack and so far they are not triggering me to want more like IP bars. The chocolate peanut bar is super yummy and filling.

I also have to say congrats to you on your loss and updated photo; you look fantastic! :flow1:

Thanks for the recommendation...I love PB and chocolate. I can't wait to try it. And thanks on the compliment. :carrot:

Thanks for the heads up. Also at http://www.amazon.com/Quest-Nutrition-Protein-Chocolate-Peanut/dp/B006W20AFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361826336&sr=8-1&keywords=quest+bar+natural you can get a box (once you know which flavor you like) for $2.06 a bar and free shipping over $25, unless you are a Prime member and it's free 2 day shipping.

IdealProteinNewbie
02-25-2013, 05:24 PM
I love the Strawberry Cheesecake and Apple Pie...nice to get some fruit flavors!

Suzali
02-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Hi Everyone! After reading all the posts last night, I decided to pick up some Quest bars. Slowly making my move to alternatives. Shhh, don't tell my coach. ;)

leannekarella
02-25-2013, 07:33 PM

After reading the first couple posts here, I ordered the combo box. Anything that is restricted or no-go for me, I'll give to my hubby or daughter. They look really good, and would make being away from home so much easier!

lisa32989
02-25-2013, 07:41 PM
After reading the first couple posts here, I ordered the combo box. Anything that is restricted or no-go for me, I'll give to my hubby or daughter. They look really good, and would make being away from home so much easier!

The banana nut is 9 net carbs. All others in the 100% natural box are 7-8 net. I think they're all 5 g fat. I looked at all labels this afternoon.
A little too sweet for me...I'm just not big on sweets. I'd love it if there were more savory unrestricted snacks!

IdealProteinNewbie
02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
The banana nut is 9 net carbs. All others in the 100% natural box are 7-8 net. I think they're all 5 g fat. I looked at all labels this afternoon.
A little too sweet for me...I'm just not big on sweets. I'd love it if there were more savory unrestricted snacks!

I'll cross my fingers that the new non-restricted IP garlic & herb potato chips (coming out in May) don't contain soy or gluten for you!

lisa32989
02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I'll cross my fingers that the new non-restricted IP garlic & herb potato chips (coming out in May) don't contain soy or gluten for you!

I'm planning for them having one or the other so I don't get disappointed. I already hadmy hissy fit about what i gave up. Thank goodness for potato/zucchini muffins!

Ilovesugar
02-26-2013, 01:14 AM
Randomly I just stumbled across these bars tonight. So to confirm they can replace a IP bar but are considered restricted, correct? Any input on the coconut cashew?

scorbett1103
02-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Randomly I just stumbled across these bars tonight. So to confirm they can replace a IP bar but are considered restricted, correct? Any input on the coconut cashew?

No, they are actually unrestricted (under 8g net carbs). The bars are made with a particular plant based fiber that is not digestible so it offsets the carbs.

The ones that aren't really good for IP are too high in fat (fat calories more than 30% of total calories). Unfortunately the Coconut Cashew is one of those. It has 170 calories, 60 calories from fat.

lisa32989
02-26-2013, 06:37 AM
No, they are actually unrestricted (under 8g net carbs). The bars are made with a particular plant based fiber that is not digestible so it offsets the carbs.

The ones that aren't really good for IP are too high in fat (fat calories more than 30% of total calories). Unfortunately the Coconut Cashew is one of those. It has 170 calories, 60 calories from fat.
Besides fat, you'll need to read labels and do the math. One I have is 9 net carbs (total minus fiber). Some are 8, some are 7. The 100% natural line has better numbers than the 90-something percent line. One is FOUR with higher fat.

scorbett1103
02-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Besides fat, you'll need to read labels and do the math. One I have is 9 net carbs (total minus fiber). Some are 8, some are 7. The 100% natural line has better numbers than the 90-something percent line. One is FOUR with higher fat.

That's what I get for posting after working till late at night :)

What I meant to post is that the higher fat items should be RESTRICTED. Not good as UNRESTRICTED for IP. Time to brew the coffee :)

Ilovesugar
02-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Ok- so does that mean the coconut cashew would be ok but would fall under restricted? It's only 1 gram fat off from the apple pie and 1 gram carb off from cinnamon roll. Sorry- I'm new to alternatives. :dizzy:

scorbett1103
02-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Ok- so does that mean the coconut cashew would be ok but would fall under restricted? It's only 1 gram fat off from the apple pie and 1 gram carb off from cinnamon roll. Sorry- I'm new to alternatives. :dizzy:

Yes.

Unrestricted items have 8g or less NET carbs

BUT - if they are higher in fat (if the calories from fat is more than 30% of the total calories), treat them as a restricted. IP does the same thing with their soy nuts.

ragdoll74
02-27-2013, 06:47 PM
I received my shipment from netrition today. I had ordered 3 flavors of the quest bars, apple pie, chocolate brownie & vanilla almond crunch.

I split them into thirds so I could try each one, but still only have 1 bar total. They are very chewy, almost like bit o honey candy if you've ever had that. I like the chewiness of the bar and the fact that it took me much longer to eat one.

The apple pie tasted like the little bits of apple in Quaker Apple Cinnamon oatmeal. It was not bad, but I don't know if I would order it again.

Chocolate brownie tasted just like a brownie when I first started chewing it, then the flavor fades. It's still good, and I would buy them again.

The vanilla almond crunch was soooo good. Reminded me of butter pecan ice cream. I'm definitely getting these again, but not before I try the variety pack of the 100% natural ones.

lisa32989
02-27-2013, 06:50 PM
I received my shipment from netrition today. I had ordered 3 flavors of the quest bars, apple pie, chocolate brownie & vanilla almond crunch.

I split them into thirds so I could try each one, but still only have 1 bar total. They are very chewy, almost like bit o honey candy if you've ever had that. I like the chewiness of the bar and the fact that it took me much longer to eat one.

The apple pie tasted like the little bits of apple in Quaker Apple Cinnamon oatmeal. It was not bad, but I don't know if I would order it again.

Chocolate brownie tasted just like a brownie when I first started chewing it, then the flavor fades. It's still good, and I would buy them again.

The vanilla almond crunch was soooo good. Reminded me of butter pecan ice cream. I'm definitely getting these again, but not before I try the variety pack of the 100% natural ones.
Mine are super soft...bit-o-honey was always stick-to-your teeth for me.
I order mine straight from Quest so they're always super fresh

Ilovesugar
02-27-2013, 07:10 PM

Funny you mention bit o honey- that's exactly how I described them today to a friend. I bought a whole bunch today at my local GNC store, they're buy 3 get one free. Love them and so glad to be enjoying something different.

Blessed900711
02-27-2013, 07:36 PM
I bought some of the 100% natural bars and they tasted great! Mine were super chewy as well, the person who sold them to me at the local nutrition store told me to put them in the microwave for a 10 secs. and that helps a lot!

ragdoll74
02-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Mine are super soft...bit-o-honey was always stick-to-your teeth for me.
I order mine straight from Quest so they're always super fresh

Maybe it's because I ordered individual bars from netrition. Who knows how long those have been in their warehouse. I'm planning on picking up the 100% natural one's at GNC tomorrow, but after that I'll order from Quest.

Funny you mention bit o honey- that's exactly how I described them today to a friend. I bought a whole bunch today at my local GNC store, they're buy 3 get one free. Love them and so glad to be enjoying something different.

It was the fist thought that came to mind when I tried the vanilla almond bar.

Did you buy individual bars or the boxes at GNC?

Ilovesugar
02-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Mine are chewy too. I guess maybe I've only ever had fresh bit of honey. ;
;)

amberjules
02-28-2013, 10:21 PM
I went to GNC today and they had the Quest bars by 3 get 1 free! Loved the sale!

Even more love for the chocolate brownie bar. It was mighty tasty! Actually tasted like a brownie and had the texture of a fudge brownie. I'm in love!!!!!!!! Even better it's made with Stevia.

Ilovesugar
03-01-2013, 03:31 AM
Maybe it's because I ordered individual bars from netrition. Who knows how long those have been in their warehouse. I'm planning on picking up the 100% natural one's at GNC tomorrow, but after that I'll order from Quest.

It was the fist thought that came to mind when I tried the vanilla almond bar.

Did you buy individual bars or the boxes at GNC?

I just bought individual bars because I wanted to try a variety. So far there hasn't been one I don't like.

sanibelover
03-01-2013, 05:44 AM
If you order from Quest, they are super fresh and soft. You can also microwave them for 15 seconds and that helps if you have some that are harder. The bars I have gotten from GNC are always a little hard - worried about pulling out my crowns!!!

Quest bars have saved me more than once!!

Suzali
03-01-2013, 05:59 AM

Try popping them in the microwave for about 15 seconds if you want to soften them up a bit (especially the chocolate brownie). Yum!

Suzali
03-01-2013, 06:02 AM
If you order from Quest, they are super fresh and soft. You can also microwave them for 15 seconds and that helps if you have some that are harder. The bars I have gotten from GNC are always a little hard - worried about pulling out my crowns!!!

Quest bars have saved me more than once!!

Oops. Still too new to remember to read through all the posts before responding! I had the same thought of pulling crowns and fillings. The bars are great especially if I'm running around. They've become a favorite for lunch with celery sticks.

ragdoll74
03-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the tips on microwaving them. I am eating the cinnamon roll one now that I warmed up in the microwave. It's yummy.

I figured out why the first bars I tried were so chewy. They were sitting on my front stoop in 32degree temps for about 4 hours just before I ate them.:)

Once they were room temperature they were much softer. I actually prefer the vanilla almond crunch frozen.

lisa32989
03-01-2013, 08:58 AM
The microwave tip is from Quest website. I think they have other serving tips on their website. I discovered Quest bars several years ago, but overate those, like everything else :o

I know we don't "count calories" on IP but that is because IP products control calories for us. When we stray to alternatives, the calories become an issue and Quest (for me) are higher calories than most of my nonrestricted IP packet choices, which are closer to 100/packet. For this reason, even if fat/carbs are okay for non-restricted, I still count them as restricted. Every one I have ordered has been above 150 cals. (2 had 160, the rest are higher than that)

Each one of these bars has a slightly different ingredient/nutritional profile. Choc/Peanut Butter and Strawberry Cheesecake are the 160 cals, both 5 g fat & 8 net carbs. Lowest of all the Quest bars.

Endless Dieter
03-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Love quest bars (favorites coconut cashew & strawberry cheesecake).

Suzali
03-01-2013, 06:31 PM
I went to GNC today and they had the Quest bars by 3 get 1 free! Loved the sale!

Even more love for the chocolate brownie bar. It was mighty tasty! Actually tasted like a brownie and had the texture of a fudge brownie. I'm in love!!!!!!!! Even better it's made with Stevia.

I was so excited to heard that GNC sells Quest. Went to a store at the mall. They said they were $3.99 each and not on sale because they weren't a "corporate" store but instead a family owned store. They are charging IP prices. I guess I will order them from Quest or go the nutrition store and continue to microwave my bars. :)

Suchawittygal
03-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Okay..I just ordered five boxes from the Quest website:
Cinnamon Roll
Chocolate Peanut Butter
Strawberry Cheesecake
Banana Nut Muffin
Apple Pie

I had to get some stuff that has no chocolate in it for DH, he's now OP with me. This should last us for quite some time.

I can't WAIT to taste them! I like the idea of cutting some of htem up and trying two or three different kinds at once to see which one's I like. :D

ragdoll74
03-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Suchawittygal make sure you warm them up in the microwave too!

50harvest
03-02-2013, 12:01 PM
I purchased 3 different Quest bars at the local Vitamin Shoppe store yesterday ($2.69 each). They also had boxes of 12--all the same flavor-- for around $26.

Amazon also have boxes of the Quest bars for around $25.

Lemon and Vanilla Crunch, the 2 flavors I tried so far, taste about the same flavor wise, lol... but both were yummy. I especially liked that they they are dense and took a while to eat.

Suchawittygal
03-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Suchawittygal make sure you warm them up in the microwave too!

Thanks Ragdoll! I'll certainly do that!

ragdoll74
03-02-2013, 03:43 PM
I purchased 3 different Quest bars at the local Vitamin Shoppe store yesterday ($2.69 each). They also had boxes of 12--all the same flavor-- for around $26.

Amazon also have boxes of the Quest bars for around $25.

Lemon and Vanilla Crunch, the 2 flavors I tried so far, taste about the same flavor wise, lol... but both were yummy. I especially liked that they they are dense and took a while to eat.

I love anything lemon flavored, I was hoping the quest ones would be really lemony. I liked the vanilla crunch, so I will try the lemon too.

Ilovesugar
03-03-2013, 03:43 AM
I actually prefer mine cold and chewy. I keep them in the fridge. I also love that they take longer to eat when cold! :)

IdealProteinNewbie
03-03-2013, 07:40 AM
I actually prefer mine cold and chewy. I keep them in the fridge. I also love that they take longer to eat when cold! :)

Me too!

Look how close to goal you are...so excited for you :D

WebRover
03-03-2013, 09:04 AM
I got 8 at GNC on the buy 3 get 1 free sale, trying different flavors...they didn't have lemon.
Sorry to say I haven't liked any of the three I've tried so far.
I'm going to try the microwave trick.
I've tried the brownie, choc/PB, and coconut ones so far.
They all tasted the same except the coconut had bits in it and a faint coconut flavor.

They remind me of tootsie rolls, which I never cared for.

M35A2
03-03-2013, 09:20 AM
I tried the cinnamon roll one last night. It was actually fairly soft when I opened it but went ahead and microwaved it any way. It was so soft at that point you couldn't pick it up and it was sticking to the plate. I just ate it with a fork. I liked it better than the strawberry cheesecake but still like the IP Cookies N Creme better than any I've tried so far.

ustasmom
03-04-2013, 01:22 PM
I just tried one and I have to say, I don't think that they are worth the risk of damage to my teeth.

M35A2
03-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Got my box from Quest today (ordered it on Thursday!). I got the 100% Natural Sample box. Of course the 1st one I tried I did before going back to read earlier posts and it was one of the ones that doesn't meet the standards (Coconut Cashew). Luckily the 2 of them are the only ones in the box that have too much fat.

That one was very soft and I didn't have any of the hard to chew, crown pulling, tackiness of the ones I bought at GNC.

lisa32989
03-04-2013, 01:48 PM
That's why I order directly from Quest. Always soft, always fresh. No concerns about messing up any dental work ;)

The ones with too much fat: just count as super-restricted and limit to once/twice per week til they're gone. Then on next order you'll know which ones to get :)

ustasmom
03-04-2013, 01:53 PM
I will have to order from them. These things from GNC are a challenge.

amberjules
03-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Amazon.com also has it for $2.08 a bar if you buy the box and free shipping. I just ordered the chocolate brownie one. Love it!!!!!! Seriously tastes like a brownie to me especially when you heat it up for about 10 seconds. Oh yum!!!

amberjules
03-05-2013, 03:50 PM
I had the lemon bars today and the cinnamon roll one the other day. I don't care for either of these, especially the lemon. My fav so far is the chocolate brownie bar...I'm in love! :val2:

ragdoll74
03-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Amazon.com also has it for $2.08 a bar if you buy the box and free shipping. I just ordered the chocolate brownie one. Love it!!!!!! Seriously tastes like a brownie to me especially when you heat it up for about 10 seconds. Oh yum!!!

I totally agree....felt like I was cheating while eating it :)

leannekarella
03-06-2013, 02:09 PM
So my order finally came 2 days ago, but since I plan my eating ahead a day or two I had to wait until this morning to try my first one.

Banana Nut Muffin with a cup of coffee.

I'm hooked. I think I could eat these every day! (But I won't)

DontGiveUp17
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
I tried a bunch of these bars and I really liked all of the natural line. Love heating them up slightly and oh yum!! I noticed if you order from the quest site you can order 12 single bars and you will get the mixed bar discount in your cart. I like this because I like variety in my bars. I just wanted to let y'all know in case y'all didn't want to buy 12 of one kind, especially if this is the first time you are trying them. Oh.. and if you enter the discount code hero, it will give you free shipping as well. If your mixed box discount doesn't show up, use "mixbar,hero" and it will apply your discounts at the end. Thanks for all the info on these y'all! Y'all rock!!

Suchawittygal
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
So my order finally came 2 days ago, but since I plan my eating ahead a day or two I had to wait until this morning to try my first one.

Banana Nut Muffin with a cup of coffee.

I'm hooked. I think I could eat these every day! (But I won't)

I'm so happy to read this! I just received my bars yesterday and am looking forward to eating one of these Banana Nut Muffin bars!

I tried a bunch of these bars and I really liked all of the natural line. Love heating them up slightly and oh yum!! I noticed if you order from the quest site you can order 12 single bars and you will get the mixed bar discount in your cart. I like this because I like variety in my bars. I just wanted to let y'all know in case y'all didn't want to buy 12 of one kind, especially if this is the first time you are trying them. Oh.. and if you enter the discount code hero, it will give you free shipping as well. If your mixed box discount doesn't show up, use "mixbar,hero" and it will apply your discounts at the end. Thanks for all the info on these y'all! Y'all rock!!

this is GREAT info! Thanks!

leannekarella
03-06-2013, 03:36 PM

I ordered from the Quest website, ordered the 12 variety box (so I can try everything) and I got one extra free. And it happens to be the one I tried today, so that's good with me!

I think I need to go order another box to get free shipping!

Ilovesugar
03-06-2013, 05:29 PM
The chocolate chip cookie dough is AH-MAZING! It's falls under a restricted bar but worth every bite. I'm going to cut it up and freeze it. :dizzy:

lisa32989
03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
The chocolate chip cookie dough is AH-MAZING! It's falls under a restricted bar but worth every bite. I'm going to cut it up and freeze it. :dizzy:
Yup. Too good. Some things I just can't have. Like anything that causes cravings for more. This would be one of those things.

ustasmom
03-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Nashua carries them as well. And with the Lifetime discount, they are a few dollars cheaper.

WorldTraveleronIP
03-07-2013, 08:43 AM

Thank you for the tip (free shipping code) :) I had a banana nut muffin bar sent free in my last order and I finally tried it and was shocked how good it is. I didn't expect to like it. I too love the chocolate brownie and chocolate peanut ones as well.

DontGiveUp17
03-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Glad to help y'all! All about saving a little money while we get what we want! LOL! I loved the banana nut muffin too and I wonder how it would taste heated with a little WF Chocolate or Caramel on it. I may have to test this. I just ordered the chocolate brownie ones, since all of you say they are too die for! I really liked all of them.. so this was pretty hard to choose for me! Thanks for all the info ladies!

benice
03-07-2013, 12:15 PM
If you are looking to sample, GNC is still running their buy three get one free promotion. I've been trying all sorts of flavors! These are my favorites (in order):

1. Coconut cashew (This one is higher fat and calories than others so I count it as restricted. I think some people count it as super restricted, but since I walk to and from work (4 miles round trip) each day and work out with my trainer twice a week, I feel like I'm ok with the extra fat and calories)
2. Strawberry Cheesecake
3. Apple Pie
4. Cinnamon Roll
5. Brownie
6. Vanilla
7. Lemon (and I'm a lemon LOVER usually. These taste a bit Pledge-y to me)

Thanks for sharing about these. I've been super board of drinking my proteins and these have been a lifesaver!

lisa32989
03-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Since they are all over 150 calories, I count them all as restricted.

There are two that come close to a non-restricted based on fat/carbs, but both have 160 calories (IP non-restricteds are under 150 but usually lower than that). Those flavors are Choc/Peanut Butter and Strawberry Cheesecake. Both 5 g fat & 8 net carbs. Lowest of all the Quest bars. Based on fat/net carbs, some may choose to count them as non-restricted. I also look at the calories.

benice
03-07-2013, 01:02 PM

There are two that come close to a non-restricted based on fat/carbs, but both have 160 calories (IP non-restricteds are under 150 but usually lower than that). Those flavors are Choc/Peanut Butter and Strawberry Cheesecake. Both 5 g fat & 8 net carbs. Lowest of all the Quest bars. Based on fat/net carbs, some may choose to count them as non-restricted. I also look at the calories.

I agree. I only eat the higher calorie ones on days I go to the gym or as a restricted. The Strawberry Cheesecake I splurge on as a non-restricted with higher cals. :) I should have put that all in there. The one I'm most wary of is the delicous coconut one because I would eat it 3x/day if I could!

leannekarella
03-07-2013, 01:04 PM

I had my first yesterday, the banana nut muffin, 170 calories. What I did, since I use MFP, was just make sure I kept the overall calories for the day low, eating leaner meat for dinner and lower-cal protein packs. Most of my IP and IP alternatives average 100 cal/15-18 protein, so these are on the very high side especially for me. *Diabetic. I do like the high fiber content. And it REALLY filled me up for hours. I won't eat them every day, but it was a wonderful, wonderful treat I will look forward to now and then.

lisa32989
03-07-2013, 01:14 PM
I agree. I only eat the higher calorie ones on days I go to the gym or as a restricted. The Strawberry Cheesecake I splurge on as a non-restricted with higher cals. :) I should have put that all in there. The one I'm most wary of is the delicous coconut one because I would eat it 3x/day if I could!
I feel that way about the cookie dough one
Danger! Will Robinson!
It is on my banned list.
I used to binge on cookie dough and these are just too good.
They just taste like "more" to me.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-07-2013, 01:30 PM
I feel that way about the cookie dough one
Danger! Will Robinson!
It is on my banned list.
I used to binge on cookie dough and these are just too good.
They just taste like "more" to me.

Good thinking Lisa. It's always helpful to know your own personal "triggers."

I read in some IP literature that Dr. Tran recommends (especially in maintenance) avoiding things that "taste like more." I believe he cited nuts as one of those items.

benice
03-07-2013, 02:33 PM
I haven't heard "tastes like more" before. That's an interesting way to phrase it!

leannekarella
03-07-2013, 02:35 PM
I haven't heard "tastes like more" before. That's an interesting way to phrase it!

Mine are potato chips and chocolate. I stay away from the crisps for that reason, and the only chocolate flavors I consume are the IP chocolate drink or the pudding/shakes, and I have them as my evening snack so I don't have the need/urge to get more.

AnnaBoBanna
03-07-2013, 02:41 PM
I bought two bars at a nutrition store a few months ago when I was looking for a snack on the go. Totally forgot about them!

Just bought a naturals variety box from quest, can't wait to get them!

IdealProteinNewbie
03-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Stopped at my local GNC this morning...they are on sale, buy 3, get 1 free.

I bought 12 (equal to what's in a full box) for the price of 9, which came out to the same price as the Quest website, if anyone is interested.

Can't wait to try the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough tomorrow!

M35A2
03-09-2013, 03:34 PM
We got our 2nd box in the mail today. I used the "hero" coupon code and was just happy to get the free shipping. Also got an extra bar for being a "loyal customer" so I am really happy about that. With the extra bar they came out to $1.92 each.

Tailwinds
03-09-2013, 05:13 PM
I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I just ordered 12 bars using the "Mixbar,Hero" combined discount and saved almost $7. I am hoping that they will prove to be a cost and weight-loss effective alternative to the IP bars.

I was especially interested in these bars because they are made with Stevia. I have serious concerns about artificial sweeteners, including sucralose/Splenda used in many IP foods. For this reason, I purchased only bars in the All Natural Line. (Too bad, though, because that chocolate chip cookie dough bar looks sooo good. Though I share concerns with those who fear it may trigger a binge.)

I just wanted to point out that all but the banana nut muffin bar is also sweetened with Erythritol. Dr. Mercola has some concerns, though at least based on what he has written here, they don't raise a lot of alarm bells for me, certainly not compared to sucralose and aspartame: https://plus.google.com/photos/105764245670138901642/albums/5853458809396969793

DRegan
03-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Thx for all the Quest bars info!
Just had my first bar, strawberry cheesecake, pretty good
and picked up a few other flavors too. Hopefully save alittle
$$$!!!! :)

M35A2
03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Anyone have a new shipping discount code? Appears "hero" has expired (or it was only good for a single use).

M35A2
03-13-2013, 12:34 PM
New promo code for free shipping is ONAQUEST

WorldTraveleronIP
03-13-2013, 12:42 PM
New promo code for free shipping is ONAQUEST

THANK YOU!!!

IntheEvening
03-13-2013, 12:47 PM
GD! I wish I logged on to 3FC before I went out and bought a box at The Vitamin Shop! I just bought the Choco peanut butter and it's not bad.

M35A2
03-13-2013, 12:50 PM
GD! I wish I logged on to 3FC before I went out and bought a box at The Vitamin Shop! I just bought the Choco peanut butter and it's not bad.

If you go to their website you can get the All Natural Sample Box for $25.99 with the free shipping. My last order they sent an extra bar so the total per bar price was $1.92. I use USPS and it usually takes 4 days to get the box.

IntheEvening
03-13-2013, 12:57 PM
If you go to their website you can get the All Natural Sample Box for $25.99 with the free shipping.

Dam! I just paid $26.99 for 12. I'll remember this for next time.

M35A2
03-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Dam! I just paid $26.99 for 12. I'll remember this for next time.

The other thing is the ones directly from Quest are fresher. Sometimes the ones from GNC and other stores have a tendency to pull your fillings out as they're tougher and stickier.

LizJazz
03-21-2013, 11:15 AM
I agree, the ones from quest are very fresh!!!

Bella73123
03-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Just wanted to mention that the cookie dough bars don't really meet the IP requirements. To meet IP standards they must have 30% or less calories from fat, these bars have 190 calories, so the fat calories would have to be 57 or less, these are WAY higher than that, at a whopping 70! I would steer clear of these particular bars, I believe the Peanut Butter Supreme fall into this category as well.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=60&idcategory=2#details

usmcvet
03-21-2013, 12:31 PM
I use them and love them. As a side note I really like them in the warmer weather to stash in my truck, not so much this time of year as they are rock hard! But in the warm weather they don't melt like my Pure Protein bars do.

ragdoll74
03-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Just wanted to mention that the cookie dough bars don't really meet the IP requirements. To meet IP standards they must have 30% or less calories from fat, these bars have 190 calories, so the fat calories would have to be 57 or less, these are WAY higher than that, at a whopping 70! I would steer clear of these particular bars, I believe the Peanut Butter Supreme fall into this category as well.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=60&idcategory=2#details

Those two actually are ok, but should be treated as a restricted item.

Bella73123
03-21-2013, 02:24 PM

Those two actually are ok, but should be treated as a restricted item.

I'm pretty sure they don't meet the guidelines, even for restricted. I've quoted Scorbett as a resource, but I know I've seen the info from others on here too.

scorbett1103
03-21-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm pretty sure they don't meet the guidelines, even for restricted. I've quoted Scorbett as a resource, but I know I've seen the info from others on here too.

The Quest Cookie Dough bars have the following nutritionally speaking:

190 calories
70 calories from fat

21g carb-17g dietary fiber = 4g net carbs
21 g protein

Because the fat calories are more than 30%, but the net carbs are "technically" in the unrestricted range, this can be used as a restricted item (kind of like the IP soy puffs or some of the wafer products).

The ones that are NOT compatible with IP are the ones that have more than 30% calories from fat AND high enough carbs to make them restricted. That's a double whammy you want to avoid.

lisa32989
03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Since most of the unrestricted IP products I eat are in the 100-calorie range (80-110) and my only IP restricted I eat (White Cheddar Crisps - everything else has soy or gluten) has 160 calories, I count ALL of the Quest bars as restricted and Quest Bar over 200 cals I wouldn't eat while on P1. This is just me. Not trying to debate what anyone else is doing. I'm still mostly using IP products but had to supplement with alts due to cutting out both soy and gluten.

IP Bars are restricted so it's easy for me to just count bars as restricted. I'm not a speedy loser so I'm probably better off managing my bars this way.

On another note: I had to banish the chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bars. They set up crazy cravings in me. Anything that "tastes like more" needs to be severely restricted in my life to maintain sensible eating behaviors. I guess the only way I can have one is to order ONE. But why risk it?

djs06
03-21-2013, 06:27 PM
I concur on the cookie dough bars. I think I might not be able to buy any more of those suckers... Sooooo good.

I had one for lunch, microwaved, and brought it to a meeting. My coworker said she was about to lunge across the table and grab it from me because it looked and smelled so good. Lol

IdealProteinNewbie
03-21-2013, 07:22 PM
I also count all Quest bars as restricted.

Even though the net carbs are very low, the calories are higher than most IP non-restricted packets.

amberjules
03-22-2013, 01:02 AM
http://www.lamberjules.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/How-to-Choose-an-Ideal-Protein-Alternative-Food1.png#

I get asked quite often on how I pick my alternatives and how to decide if it's restricted or unrestricted so maybe this will help everyone. You an add it to your desktop or print it out.

ragdoll74
03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
On another note: I had to banish the chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bars. They set up crazy cravings in me. Anything that "tastes like more" needs to be severely restricted in my life to maintain sensible eating behaviors. I guess the only way I can have one is to order ONE. But why risk it?

I concur on the cookie dough bars. I think I might not be able to buy any more of those suckers... Sooooo good.

I had one for lunch, microwaved, and brought it to a meeting. My coworker said she was about to lunge across the table and grab it from me because it looked and smelled so good. Lol

I haven't tried the cookie dough bars and after your comments I think I will stay away from them.

DRegan
03-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Since most of the unrestricted IP products I eat are in the 100-calorie range (80-110) and my only IP restricted I eat (White Cheddar Crisps - everything else has soy or gluten) has 160 calories, I count ALL of the Quest bars as restricted and Quest Bar over 200 cals I wouldn't eat while on P1. This is just me. Not trying to debate what anyone else is doing. I'm still mostly using IP products but had to supplement with alts due to cutting out both soy and gluten.

IP Bars are restricted so it's easy for me to just count bars as restricted. I'm not a speedy loser so I'm probably better off managing my bars this way.

I agree, I stick with the lower cal quest bars and have one with
2 cups veggies everyday for lunch at work, I never know if Im gonna have a
ten minute lunch or a half hour, so i need to bring something I can eat and will keep me satisfied till dinner, which they do. Thankfully!!

have a great OP day!
D

BrittStar027
03-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Just ordered a Natural sample box from Quest. Can't wait until they come in to try them!

benice
03-22-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm sure you all saw this, but if you set up an auto-order (monthly or bi-monthly) you can get a 10% discount on whatever you order directly from Quest. Pretty rad.

aliboo723
03-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Picked some up at GNC Wednesday. So far I have tried the apple pie (yum), cinnamon roll (yum yum), strawberry cheesecake (ok) and banana nut muffin (ok). I have not felt the need to eat more than what's in the package. I really don't have that urge with packaged things. I just eat what's in the package. This has gotten me in trouble before IP.....a bag of chips, a bag of cookies.....I guess having smaller packs is what I needed. Oh, and a detailed eating plan to follow. :)

50harvest
03-23-2013, 03:53 PM
http://www.lamberjules.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/How-to-Choose-an-Ideal-Protein-Alternative-Food1.png#

I get asked quite often on how I pick my alternatives and how to decide if it's restricted or unrestricted so maybe this will help everyone. You an add it to your desktop or print it out.

Thanks for the alternative cheat sheet Lamberjules! It's good to have everything on one small sheet.

I purchased a Quest variety pack & so far haven't found a flavor I don't like. I treat all the Quest bars as restricted.

ustasmom
03-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Does anyone else find that they are particularly gassy after eating these? Not gassy, but GASSY!

I bought the chocolate brownie bars and I am killing my family. Do the natural ones do this too?

Jujubie
03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Nashuanutrition.com coupons code for free shipping on orders over $49 until Easter! Coupon code EASTER10:carrot:

benice
03-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Does anyone else find that they are particularly gassy after eating these? Not gassy, but GASSY!

I bought the chocolate brownie bars and I am killing my family. Do the natural ones do this too?

Interesting! I've not experienced this with the Quest bars, but I definitely have this experience with other bars that have fake sugars in them. YIKES! It can be terrible. Detour bars, for example, are a no-go for me.

lisa32989
03-29-2013, 03:11 PM

I've only been eating the 100% natural line. Sugar alcohols can do that tho

M35A2
03-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Another discount code - crossfit

I think after you use each code it expires for your account but should be good for at least 1 use.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Head's up everybody:

I signed up for coupons from GNC...received $10 off my next $20 purchase.

Coupled with the buy 3, get 1 free offer on Quest bars I just picked up 12 assorted bars for $15.11 = $1.26 per bar!

They were all nice and fresh too, I know sometimes they aren't!

workingit50
03-29-2013, 10:43 PM
I ordered the natural sampler box from Quest and I have tried the coconut and strawberry. Yum!!!!!!!!!!

So good! My first venture off IP products. Put in microwave to soften for a few seconds on the coconut. The strawberry was warmed up in my car and was soft and delicious.

Delgen
03-30-2013, 01:55 AM
I bought 2 boxes of the sampler, and they are good. I had the banana nut one and the strawberry cheesecake last night. Didn't care for the cheesecake, but the banana nut was heavenly good!

Nibblet
03-30-2013, 02:44 AM
I've tried the chocolate brownie and coconut cashew. The brownie was better than the coconut but both were pretty dense. I'm hoping some of the other ones fare better but so far, nothing I couldn't live without.

lisa32989
03-30-2013, 07:42 AM
I've tried the chocolate brownie and coconut cashew. The brownie was better than the coconut but both were pretty dense. I'm hoping some of the other ones fare better but so far, nothing I couldn't live without.

All of the Quest bares have similar consistencies.

kellyrn
03-30-2013, 08:53 PM

Using these standards, are sugar alcohols a factor at all? Thank you all so much!

kellyrn
03-30-2013, 09:06 PM

Mmmm....Bit o Honey....I'm going to order tonight!:cp:

ragdoll74
03-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Mmmm....Bit o Honey....I'm going to order tonight!:cp:

I realized after posting that the bars were frozen when I first tried them because they were sitting on my front stoop until I got home from work.

I prefer the vanilla one frozen/very cold, although I haven't reordered that flavor. The others I've tried all tasted better when microwaved for 10 seconds or so.

lisa32989
03-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Using these standards, are sugar alcohols a factor at all? Thank you all so much!
there are sugar alcohols in many IP bars, as well

ZOMBIEDAWN
04-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Bah! Looks like nashua only has two quest bar flavors available....

psjones
04-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Bah! Looks like nashua only has two quest bar flavors available....

There is a dropdown on the Quest pages that allows you to select the flavor. I see six flavors listed.

snickers70
04-08-2013, 02:43 PM
It depends on which bar you are talking about.

The vanilla almond, mixed berry, peanut butter supreme, peanut butter jelly, and coconut cashew are no good - calories from fat is more than 30% total calories.

The others look ok.

Thank you.. I just saw this and made an order for them last night. Just called to switch the order just in time.

ZOMBIEDAWN
04-08-2013, 04:02 PM
There is a dropdown on the Quest pages that allows you to select the flavor. I see six flavors listed.

Thanks, I'll check again!

I did find a few flavors here in town. I tried the chocolate brownie and apple pie. Heaven, heaven! Now I'll just be researching counts for other bars I can have!!

amberjules
04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Zombiedawn - look at you. You've lost 29 lbs!!!

Glad to see you like those Quest bars too. I don't know how they got the chocolate brownie bar to taste to much like a brownie, but it's serious chocolate love for me!

aliboo723
04-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks, I'll check again!

I did find a few flavors here in town. I tried the chocolate brownie and apple pie. Heaven, heaven! Now I'll just be researching counts for other bars I can have!!

Those are two of my favorites! I also LOVE the cinnamon roll one. I keep a box of each at all times! The only one I don't keep extras of is the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. They are TOO good! I don't think I'd overindulge, but I'm not taking the chance either. :D

ZOMBIEDAWN
04-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Zombiedawn - look at you. You've lost 29 lbs!!!

Glad to see you like those Quest bars too. I don't know how they got the chocolate brownie bar to taste to much like a brownie, but it's serious chocolate love for me!

THANKS! Almost halfway there! :)

Those are two of my favorites! I also LOVE the cinnamon roll one. I keep a box of each at all times! The only one I don't keep extras of is the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. They are TOO good! I don't think I'd overindulge, but I'm not taking the chance either. :D

Uh oh. Cookie dough? I should stay away!

lisa32989
04-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Uh oh. Cookie dough? I should stay away!

Yes. Too good. One tastes like I should have another.
I can't buy them
I don't want craving-inducing foods around

amberjules
04-09-2013, 01:00 AM
By the way, the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is 190 calories - very high for any of alternative foods and it's also 36% calories from fat. Very high which make it restricted.

toothgirl
04-09-2013, 07:10 AM
Has anyone noticed if the Quest bars have slowed down your weight loss?

M35A2
04-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Has anyone noticed if the Quest bars have slowed down your weight loss?

Mine's been pretty consistant with or without the bars. I only have 1 a day at most and I don't eat any restricteds due to the soy so I might not be the perfect person to reference.

lisa32989
04-09-2013, 08:58 AM
By the way, the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is 190 calories - very high for any of alternative foods and it's also 36% calories from fat. Very high which make it restricted.
I count them ALL as restricted. There are actually two that can squeak-by as unrestricted and two more that are a bit high for IP P1. Read labels carefully!

This is what I said about Quest bars earlier in this thread: Since most of the unrestricted IP products I eat are in the 100-calorie range (80-110) and my only IP restricted I eat (White Cheddar Crisps - everything else has soy or gluten) has 160 calories, I count ALL of the Quest bars as restricted and Quest Bar over 200 cals I wouldn't eat while on P1. This is just me. Not trying to debate what anyone else is doing. I'm still mostly using IP products but had to supplement with alts due to cutting out both soy and gluten.

bubbleblower
04-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Anyone have a current promo code for the Quest site? TIA!

LizJazz
04-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Onaquest

newday2013
04-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Anybody ever notice having gas/bloating with Quest bars?

amberjules
04-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Anybody ever notice having gas/bloating with Quest bars?

I haven't experienced anything like this, but I imagine that it could possibly depend on the flavor or type of bar.

I typically eat the chocolate brownie bar and apple pie bar.

Which ones are you eating?

Debrasb
04-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Just tried the chocolate peanut butter bar. Not as amazing as I expected, but still tasty and quite filling -- plus took a good amount of time to eat. The 20g of protein were very welcome and it felt like more than other bars.

newday2013
04-10-2013, 05:31 PM
I haven't experienced anything like this, but I imagine that it could possibly depend on the flavor or type of bar.

I typically eat the chocolate brownie bar and apple pie bar.

Which ones are you eating?

Cinnamon roll and chocolate brownie...gosh I hope I'm wrong since they're half the price of IP snacks and made with Stevia....

bubbleblower
04-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Onaquest

Thanks!

ETA: Ooops. It says it's expired. :(

M35A2
04-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks!

ETA: Ooops. It says it's expired. :(

If you haven't used "sample" or "hero" try those. They're usually good for 1 use then you can't use them again. What I do is order once under my name and then once under DW so we get to use the same code twice.

I just did a Google search and looks like "CrossFit" is the Apr free shipping code.

The other option is to sign up for a regular weekly or bi-weekly order and they'll take 10% off but unless you're getting 2 or more boxes at a time that doesn't even come out to free shipping.

bubbleblower
04-10-2013, 07:09 PM
If you haven't used "sample" or "hero" try those. They're usually good for 1 use then you can't use them again. What I do is order once under my name and then once under DW so we get to use the same code twice.

I just did a Google search and looks like "CrossFit" is the Apr free shipping code.

The other option is to sign up for a regular weekly or bi-weekly order and they'll take 10% off but unless you're getting 2 or more boxes at a time that doesn't even come out to free shipping.

Thanks. Yeah, I found CrossFit and mixedbar and placed an order. :)

EmmaD
04-16-2013, 11:03 AM
[This is from the other Quest thread, but I will post here to try to keep most of the info together...]

If you bought them someplace like GNC they're going to be partially stale and harder/chewier than if you get them from Quest directly. Unfortunately you do have to buy them a box at a time there but they are extremely fresh and much softer. One thing you can do with the GNC bought bars is microwave them for 15 seconds and that will soften them up some.

I've been experimenting with the Quest bars (I think I have tried all the flavors so far except Apple Pie and Peanut Butter & Jelly).

I like all of them, but some are definitely better than others. The Banana Nut Muffin and the Cinnamon Roll and the Chocolate Brownie are the best IMO.

What I learned from others here: YES, the GNC ones can be quite stale! I bought 2 boxes (mixed) on sale and "felt them up" individually before purchase. The PB&J was hard as a rock, which is why I haven't tried that flavor yet :p

GNC is still running the special "Buy 3, Get 1 Free" for the Quest bars (also 25% off whole boxes, which is the same discount). I had a coupon also, so I ended up buying a bunch at the same time for ~$1.67 each. They retail for $2.79. Ouch. But still less than IP bars!

I had a long discussion with the clerk in GNC, who said he had tried the bars because some woman came in raving about them. He said he was not impressed. I think it depends on your expectations - for me, almost anything with that much protein, AND fiber, AND no sucralose etc AND no added other ingredients that I don't want to eat means that I would put up with just about anything. They ARE quite chewy - kinda like I remember Power Bars being - but IMO that is a plus. It makes it hard to eat them fast. Some other "candy bar"-type bars go down way too easily :)

Also - it depends on your microwave - but I nuked a Banana Nut yesterday for 15 seconds and it liquefied into a very sticky mess on the floor of the microwave. Microwaving a little definitely helps, but if you haven't tried it yet maybe start with 10 seconds.

SO GLAD I found out about these here! My mother's on IP and I use a lot of the principles/products .... it is great to have an option we are both happy with -

lisa32989
04-16-2013, 11:17 AM
[This is from the other Quest thread, but I will post here to try to keep most of the info together...]

I've been experimenting with the Quest bars (I think I have tried all the flavors so far except Apple Pie and Peanut Butter & Jelly).

I like all of them, but some are definitely better than others. The Banana Nut Muffin and the Cinnamon Roll and the Chocolate Brownie are the best IMO.

What I learned from others here: YES, the GNC ones can be quite stale! I bought 2 boxes (mixed) on sale and "felt them up" individually before purchase. The PB&J was hard as a rock, which is why I haven't tried that flavor yet :p

GNC is still running the special "Buy 3, Get 1 Free" for the Quest bars (also 25% off whole boxes, which is the same discount). I had a coupon also, so I ended up buying a bunch at the same time for ~$1.67 each. They retail for $2.79. Ouch. But still less than IP bars!

I had a long discussion with the clerk in GNC, who said he had tried the bars because some woman came in raving about them. He said he was not impressed. I think it depends on your expectations - for me, almost anything with that much protein, AND fiber, AND no sucralose etc AND no added other ingredients that I don't want to eat means that I would put up with just about anything. They ARE quite chewy - kinda like I remember Power Bars being - but IMO that is a plus. It makes it hard to eat them fast. Some other "candy bar"-type bars go down way too easily :)

Also - it depends on your microwave - but I nuked a Banana Nut yesterday for 15 seconds and it liquefied into a very sticky mess on the floor of the microwave. Microwaving a little definitely helps, but if you haven't tried it yet maybe start with 10 seconds.
FYI: only the Natural Line is sucralose-free.
Chocolate Brownie has sucralose as do all the 99.95% Natural

99.95 Natural (has sucralose)
Vanilla Almond Crunch
Apple pie
Chocolate brownie
Mixed Berry Bliss
Peanut Butter Supreme
Peanut Butter & Jelly
Chocolate Chip Cooke Dough

100 Natural (stevia-sweetened-no sucralose)
Chocolate Peanut Butter
Cinnamon Roll
Strawberry cheesecake (one of the lower cal bars)
Coconut Cashew
Lemon Cream Pie
Banana Nut Muffin

TwoTots
04-17-2013, 01:01 AM
I received my Quest Bar order. I have to order mine from Ireland, I live in Europe. I got Coconut cashew, Peanut chocolate and strawberry cheesecake. I tasted all 3, I couldn't wait. Delicious! They were fresh too! They work out a bit pricey about 2.70 euro each but are worth it.Thanks for all the tips!

DRegan
04-17-2013, 07:35 AM

Vanilla Almond Crunch
Apple pie
Chocolate brownie
Mixed Berry Bliss
Peanut Butter Supreme
Peanut Butter & Jelly

Chocolate Peanut Butter
Cinnamon Roll
Coconut Cashew
Lemon Cream Pie
Banana Nut Muffin

Lisa,

Thanks for the list, I have been only using the 100 natural and only
bars under 170 calories.
Love the cinnamon roll! 8 seconds in the micro, perfect! :carrot:

D

zoological26
04-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Thank you this thread is great

EmmaD
04-23-2013, 10:52 AM

Vanilla Almond Crunch
Apple pie
Chocolate brownie
Mixed Berry Bliss
Peanut Butter Supreme
Peanut Butter & Jelly

Chocolate Peanut Butter
Cinnamon Roll
Coconut Cashew
Lemon Cream Pie
Banana Nut Muffin

ooh good to know! I thought they were all sweetened with stevia...

Cinnamon Roll and Banana Nut Muffin are two of my favorites, luckily. Bad news about Chocolate Brownie and Peanut Butter Supreme, my other two favorites. I'll have to give the Strawberry Cheesecake another chance :)

BrittStar027
04-23-2013, 10:53 AM
The discovery of these bars while on IP has honestly helped so much. They're filling, delicious, and really help curb any cravings i may be having (usually something i can chew for dessert). Using alternatives my second time on IP has really helped me make sure i can stay OP and be a little more creative with my "packets". My first time around there weren't a lot of options that weren't restricted that i enjoyed (although i do treat Quest bars as restricted). I basically lived off the chocolate drink and wildberry yogurt smoothie, and that got old really fast.

Just wanted to share my appreciation for Quest bars! :D

amberjules
04-23-2013, 03:29 PM
The discovery of these bars while on IP has honestly helped so much. They're filling, delicious, and really help curb any cravings i may be having (usually something i can chew for dessert). Using alternatives my second time on IP has really helped me make sure i can stay OP and be a little more creative with my "packets". My first time around there weren't a lot of options that weren't restricted that i enjoyed (although i do treat Quest bars as restricted). I basically lived off the chocolate drink and wildberry yogurt smoothie, and that got old really fast.

Just wanted to share my appreciation for Quest bars! :D

Yeah, these are totally one of my favorite items. Wish they had a peanut butter bar that wasn't so high in calories though. I try to keep my calories closer to 150 or below on these babies.

M35A2
05-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Bump for the new folks.

cajuncarrier
05-24-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm absolutely addicted to these Quest bars.

Cinnamon, banana nut and strawberry cheesecake are my favorite... I tried the brownie but found it entirely too sweet. Personal preference..

BTW 8 secs in my microwave is perfect....:carrot:

safetylady
05-24-2013, 04:46 PM
I found and became addicted to Quest bars a couple of years ago. Now that I am edging into maintenance, I have started eating them for breakfast.

Love Quest bars.

amberjules
05-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Oh yes Quest is so so so so good! Have you tried Apple Pie heated for about 10 seconds?? My fav is still the brownie bar heated!!!!

Kandis Apples
05-24-2013, 05:43 PM
So, silly question here, are you replacing an IP packet with a protein bar and then still doing the lettuce and 2 cups of veggies? Is that the idea? I am 100% IP product but would like to have a few more alternatives.

M35A2
05-24-2013, 06:04 PM
So, silly question here, are you replacing an IP packet with a protein bar and then still doing the lettuce and 2 cups of veggies? Is that the idea? I am 100% IP product but would like to have a few more alternatives.

Yes. Most people consider it as a Restricted so have it in replace of that packet.

Kandis Apples
05-24-2013, 06:07 PM
So more of a treat/snack than an actual meal replacement?

lisa32989
05-24-2013, 06:10 PM
A restricted is one of your 3 packets/day
You would decide if it is at snack or meal time

amberjules
05-24-2013, 08:47 PM

When I first started eating Quest bars I ate it as an unrestricted, but have since switched it to restricted and seen better results.

I also eat mine as a meal with 2 cups of veggies and sometimes as a snack. It's really your choice. One of the reasons I like these babies so much is it's easy to throw in your purse or backpack and go. Easy to travel with as well.

Msbehaving
05-25-2013, 02:59 AM
The GNC website is offering free membership with a $10 order ($15 value) and $1 flat rate shipping. The membership discount was applied to the box of quest bars I ordered. I did it mostly to get the free membership for the discount in the stores.

lisa32989
06-10-2013, 06:23 AM
Bumping the Quest Bar thread

SongofJoy
06-11-2013, 01:53 AM
SO nice to find this thread! I'm still learning the 'ropes' around 3fatchicks...but love the interaction thus far! Thank you for sharing all this information, ladies! :)

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/tulip-bar/slider-hearts/lb/219.6/139/162.5/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

Alamo girl
06-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Anyone have a current code for the quest website??

sstw1
06-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Bumping!

Alamo girl
06-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Got my order and I am enjoying these as a restricted ! So much flavor and density that I don't feel hungry afterwards. Great addition to mixing up my IP options :)

BrittStar027
06-19-2013, 10:49 PM
I swear, on this plan, my tastes for "packets" change so much. I will love something one day and detest it another. The one constant over the last few months have been the Quest bars. I typically order online, but GNC has been having really decent sales and i "squeeze" each one that i choose for softness (they can occasionally have stale/hard ones). I'm so grateful for an option (a restricted one) that i can depend on!

bubbleblower
06-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Anyone have a current code for the quest website??

I am still using mixbar and hero for a discount and free shipping. (Placed an order this morning.)

amberjules
06-20-2013, 10:58 AM
I recently tried the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough - I'm in heaven!!!!!!

SaraJP0804
06-20-2013, 12:02 PM
I am getting these bars for my snacks. What flavor out of chocolate peanut butter or cinnamon roll should I get?? Both sound yummy!

PacNW IP
06-20-2013, 12:43 PM
I am still using mixbar and hero for a discount and free shipping. (Placed an order this morning.)

I got the HERO code to work for free shipping. Is there a $$ minimum you need for the MIXBAR code to work?

lisa32989
06-20-2013, 03:22 PM
I am getting these bars for my snacks. What flavor out of chocolate peanut butter or cinnamon roll should I get?? Both sound yummy!
Get them both. With the mixbar code you can mix up a box and pay box price
I got the HERO code to work for free shipping. Is there a $$ minimum you need for the MIXBAR code to work?
12 bars (one box)

julianna912
06-20-2013, 03:28 PM
I've only tried the brownie bar and it I couldn't eat it at all...not even microwaved. I'm going to order directly from quest going forward.

usmcvet
06-20-2013, 03:36 PM
When I first started eating Quest bars I ate it as an unrestricted, but have since switched it to restricted and seen better results.

I also eat mine as a meal with 2 cups of veggies and sometimes as a snack. It's really your choice. One of the reasons I like these babies so much is it's easy to throw in your purse or backpack and go. Easy to travel with as well.

They keep pretty well in my truck or back pack in hot weather unlike chocolate type ready to eat things like chocolate soy puffs and chocolate covered bars. They get squishy but it works. The soy type puffs and chip snacks work well too.

The GNC website is offering free membership with a $10 order ($15 value) and $1 flat rate shipping. The membership discount was applied to the box of quest bars I ordered. I did it mostly to get the free membership for the discount in the stores.

I buy mine at GNC too. Amazon and Nashua have them as well and I bought there first but GNC is easier for me.

DRegan
06-20-2013, 09:53 PM

Both are delish!!
Cinnamon roll and strawberry cheesecake
are my favorites! Banana nut is pretty
Yummy too!

Enjoy!

D

Atlin
06-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, I haven't read through all the post. This little "tip" has just made my day!!!

= Quest Bar Cookies =

1 Quest Bar

Cut the bar into 6 pieces, flatten each piece until its about half of the original height. Place on parchment paper and bake @ 350 for 8 - 10 minutes, remove when the cookies are starting to brown around the edge. Delicious "real" cookies, chewy on the outside and warm and soft in the center. For a more crispy cookie roll your cookie "dough" thinner before baking and bake a little longer.

Divadani13
06-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, I haven't read through all the post. This little "tip" has just made my day!!!

= Quest Bar Cookies =

1 Quest Bar

Cut the bar into 6 pieces, flatten each piece until its about half of the original height. Place on parchment paper and bake @ 350 for 8 - 10 minutes, remove when the cookies are starting to brown around the edge. Delicious "real" cookies, chewy on the outside and warm and soft in the center. For a more crispy cookie roll your cookie "dough" thinner before baking and bake a little longer.
You're kidding, right?! That sounds WAY too good to be true, but OK, I am totally cutting up my Questbar snack after dinner tonight.:devil: Review to come...

Atlin
06-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Honest - this was by far the closest that I've come to having a real cookie in 10 weeks. Can't wait for your "review" : )

trishthayer
06-24-2013, 07:57 AM
I can't wait to hear the cookies!!! Yummy

evepet
06-24-2013, 09:17 AM

= Quest Bar Cookies =

1 Quest Bar

What a good idea! I don't have any Quest bars at hand right now, but will definitely try this.

Atlin
06-24-2013, 12:39 PM
There's something magical about the Quest Bars - out of the wrapper they are almost like a Tootsie Roll, at least the chocolate muffin one is. Heated in the microwave for a few seconds, and it almost has a brownie texture. Baking it in the oven . . . pure magic, cookies!!! Thank you Pinterest : )

* Quest Bar cookie instructions a couple of post down

Divadani13
06-24-2013, 12:46 PM
There's something magical about the Quest Bars - out of the wrapper they are almost like a Tootsie Roll, at least the chocolate muffin one is. Heated in the microwave for a few seconds, and it almost has a brownie texture. Baking it in the oven . . . pure magic, cookies!!! Thank you Pinterest : )

* Quest Bar cookie instructions a couple of post down

I tried the cookies with the chocolate brownie bar last night. I couldn't actually see the edges get browned, but that's probably because it is already dark brown, so I left them in for the entire 10 minutes and that may have been too long. I got sort of chewy, sort of hard cookie things that pretty much tasted like a hot Questbar. BUT, I will try this again with a lighter-colored bar and see if I can get better results. (Also, I am the kind of person who would much rather eat the dough than the cookie and prefers cookies that are barely browned and very gooey inside, so it may be the "cookie" nomenclature that is wrecking this for me.)

Atlin
06-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Give it one more try - every oven is a little different. With the Banana Muffin you I could watch the colour changing and the center was still gooey. I'm trying the chocolate today, sorry that the first try was a bit crunchy.

M35A2
06-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Tried the "cookie" trick tonight with a banana-nut bar. AWESOME!

SongofJoy
06-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Good Morning! I know I could 'google search' this out, but, I'm wondering if heating the bars in microwave or oven changes the nutrition/enzymes?

I am so enjoying the learning curve in navigating around this site...Thank you all for your interesting posts! :)

M35A2
06-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Good Morning! I know I could 'google search' this out, but, I'm wondering if heating the bars in microwave or oven changes the nutrition/enzymes?

I am so enjoying the learning curve in navigating around this site...Thank you all for your interesting posts! :)

Not sure about changes but the company does suggest microwaving them for a few seconds if they're hard. A FEW SECONDS. Don't go too crazy.

A1Texan
06-25-2013, 09:55 AM
I don't know how I have gone this long and haven't tried these Quest Bars. I am so dumb..LOL They are like a touch heaven in a wrapper
:joker:

gardenhoe
06-25-2013, 11:50 AM
I don't know how I have gone this long and haven't tried these Quest Bars. I am so dumb..LOL They are like a touch heaven in a wrapper
:joker:

You 'betcha - I picked up a variety yesterday and can't wait for my 3 o'clock snack today!

tallgirl231
06-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Last night I cut the Banana Nut Muffin into 6 pieces and baked for 8 minutes at 350. YUM. Felt like I was eating warm banana bread. You have to keep an eye on them cause they can burn quickly.

A1Texan
06-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Last night I cut the Banana Nut Muffin into 6 pieces and baked for 8 minutes at 350. YUM. Felt like I was eating warm banana bread. You have to keep an eye on them cause they can burn quickly.
I hope you mean 8 seconds...LOL

M35A2
06-25-2013, 12:13 PM
I hope you mean 8 seconds...LOL

No she's talking about baking them for 8-10 minutes in the oven at 350 deg. Turns them into "cookies" and the banana-nut does taste like banana bread.

Now if you're microwaving them 8 seconds is probably enough.

NinjaNurse
06-25-2013, 01:51 PM
It's so hot now (but I will never complain) the brownie bars on my counter are so soft and fudgy.
I am not a fan of banana bread but I LOVE the bar.
MH keeps eatting all the Strawberry Cheesecake bars, but I have to limit myself to 2-3 maybe a week anyway.

randygrl
06-25-2013, 02:22 PM
I have a quest bar every day in the afternoon, but I will have to try the cookie idea. :)

A1Texan
06-25-2013, 05:02 PM
No she's talking about baking them for 8-10 minutes in the oven at 350 deg. Turns them into "cookies" and the banana-nut does taste like banana bread.

Now if you're microwaving them 8 seconds is probably enough.
Ahh. I was thinking microwave. My bad :)

tallgirl231
06-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Ahh. I was thinking microwave. My bad :)

Yup, baking in the oven... :) Can't wait to get my brownie bars and try to bake them. So missing cookies.

IdealProteinNewbie
06-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Just made the "cookies."

Amazing!

scarlettx
07-03-2013, 03:11 PM
The Quest bars are super yummy! My vitamin store had a special if you bought 12, so they ended up $2.08 each. I bought one of each, they had all but the Lemon. So far I tried the Peanut Butter and Jelly and the Vanilla Almond Crunch. I love pb&J usually, but the vanilla almond crunch edged that one out. Today I will try one of the lower calorie ones, not sure what yet. Excited to try that cookie idea!

M35A2
07-03-2013, 04:19 PM
So far I tried the Peanut Butter and Jelly and the Vanilla Almond Crunch. I love pb&J usually, but the vanilla almond crunch edged that one out.

Be careful if you're on P1 or P2 as the PBJ and Vanilla Almond Crunch both have too many calories from fat to fit. Your best bet is to stay with the All Natural Line. All but the Coconut fit P1/P2.

ssmith
07-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi to everyone,:hat: Yep I am new, I have been lurking on this board for awhile but think I have figured out how to post hahahahaha I am doing IP and on week 4.

I was so excited after reading this thread that I went out and bought Quest bars.

I ate the chocolate brownie as my restricted item for the day....then I got a head ache. Has anyone else had this happen? I am very sensitive to artificial sweeteners but I can do Stevia....

I did go for a longish walk last night so maybe that was the cause.

Also I think I was up a lb this am (just checking to see if any changes affect my progress when I do something new) now this may not have been due to the Quest bar....I only used it as a restricted item.

BTW my coach, when she started me on teh Caramel nut protein bars said this was in addition to my 3 packets a day and not to replace it with a packet....she was very clear about this. I seems others have said something different on this board but then I am using it as my restricted item.

I was looking forward to making those Questbar cookies so we will see.

Thanks

lisa32989
07-04-2013, 11:04 AM
The chocolate brownie bar is not in the Natural Line, therefore it has splenda. Since you say you are very sensitive to sweeteners, did you read the label?
If you go to the website for quest bars, you can see which ones are in the natural line & have no splenda (stevia sweetened)

Unless you weigh over 200 lbs, IP has people on 3 packs/day, 2 unrestricted and 1 restricted. Even those weighing over 200 just add more unrestricted packs and still only have one restricted (such as the caramel nut bar).

The P1 sheet is pretty clear...

ssmith
07-04-2013, 05:05 PM
ok Thanks Lisa will keep that in mind.

Divadani13
07-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Give it one more try - every oven is a little different. With the Banana Muffin you I could watch the colour changing and the center was still gooey. I'm trying the chocolate today, sorry that the first try was a bit crunchy.OK, I went all out this time and chopped up one of my delicious cookie dough Quest Bars. Turns out that 5 minutes at 350 is perfect for my oven. Crunchy on the bottoms, they spread a little and oozed just like cookies and even though the taste wasn't completely authentic, baked Quest Bar was pretty darned fantastic. Thanks for making me do it again...and again...and again!:carrot:

onmyway1014
07-11-2013, 06:46 PM
I can't believe I've gone this long without a quest bar. I got some today and am looking forward to trying one.
I have one unanswered question even after reading this thread: can I eat a bar as my after dinner snack? I don't do a lot of restricteds and when I do I usually eat them early in the day.
Thanks for the help

lisa32989
07-11-2013, 06:50 PM
I can't believe I've gone this long without a quest bar. I got some today and am looking forward to trying one.
I have one unanswered question even after reading this thread: can I eat a bar as my after dinner snack? I don't do a lot of restricteds and when I do I usually eat them early in the day.
Thanks for the help

You can have your restricted any time of day.

onmyway1014
07-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks Lisa!! In that case I'll have it right now. Well as soon as I decide which one. ;)

ssmith
07-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Had to quit the quest bars ;-( They caused me to have terrible farts....

A1Texan
07-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Had to quit the quest bars ;-( They caused me to have terrible farts....
I hear ya but I'm not giving them up! I just find a safe place and let them fly :D

amberjules
07-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Wow I've never had the baked version of Quest Bars. I"m trying this one out tomorrow!!

dak1lls
07-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I finally tried the Quest bars and I guess it must be a textural thing for me, because I really didn't care for them. I tried baking the chocolate chip cookie dough bar as suggested and it was "meh". DH thought the best one was the strawberry cheesecake, but said it was so/so. Also tried a few others and I don't think Quest bars are for us. Will be getting my order from Nashua Nutrition tomorrow and am so excited to try some new snacks!

EasierWithTwo
07-15-2013, 11:08 PM
I love the cinnamon roll quest bars and try to work out how I can eat one every day, they totally remind me of bit o honey and don't have that aftertaste that so many of these foods have. I really liked the vanilla almond and the chocolate peanut butter, but found the aftertaste too strong.

Alaskagirl92128
07-16-2013, 08:08 AM
They are amazing!!!!!!

Iolani
07-16-2013, 06:21 PM
I started using the Strawberry/cheesecake Quest bars as me daily restrictive. It takes longer to eat/chew and fills me up much more that the IP peanut butter crunch ones. Plus, it saves me $1.50 a day.

idealproteingal
07-19-2013, 02:22 AM
I just ordered one bar of each flavor from the Quest site and used both the mixbar and crossfit coupon codes (enter as 'mixbar,crossfit'), so 14 bars came out to $29.something including shipping. I'm already planning to try each flavor in cookie, chilled/frozen, and room temperature forms. Yum. If these taste good it will save a lot since my IP bars are now $5 each.

onmyway1014
07-23-2013, 08:56 PM
I just baked my chocolate chip cookie quest bar - I cut it into 10 pieces and squished flat with the bottom of a juice glass. 6 minutes at 350 on parchment paper and I had 9 delicious little chocolate chip cookies - I ate one without baking because I'd never had this flavor before. I definitely recommend baking these - they were great!

Calisto
07-31-2013, 07:35 PM
I finally tried the Quest bars and I guess it must be a textural thing for me, because I really didn't care for them. I tried baking the chocolate chip cookie dough bar as suggested and it was "meh". DH thought the best one was the strawberry cheesecake, but said it was so/so. Also tried a few others and I don't think Quest bars are for us.

I am with you, I didn't care for them. My husband LOVES them. I think it's a texture thing for me, I could eat a little of the chocolate chip cookie dough one but not much.

roxanne1
08-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Is there a new coupon code for Quest? Crossfit and mixbar have both expired.

lisa32989
09-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Posting this here so it won't get lost

The Quest Coconut Cashew bars don't fit our IP profile for alts (or maybe you could call them Super-restricted and limit to once/week). They have too much fat. Take fat calories (60) multiply by 3 (no more than 1/3 calories from fat) and you can see that there are too many calories from fat in this bar. You'd want no more than 56 calories from fat to be less than 1/3

The other Quest Bars that don't work (based on fat content) or would be Super Restricted:
Vanilla Almond Crunch,
Mixed Berry Bliss,
Peanut Butter Supreme,
Peanut Butter & Jelly,
White Chocolate Raspberry,
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

All of the other Quest bars would be restricted. There are two that fall right on the edge between restricted & non (Choc Peanut butter & Strawberry Cheesecake). Fat cals are under 1/3 (but not way under) and they both have 8 g carbs. I'd still personally them restricted.

Deana509
09-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Those who use quest bars as alternatives, GNC.com is having a 1 day sale (30% off, and $1 flat shipping) using the code GIVEMEMORE and I think that equals out to 1.65 ber bar if you buy one box, and 1.61 per bar if you bought 2 boxes, and so on.
Just thought I would share this info...

kcandponies
09-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Aw man, I ordered a bunch from Quest a few weeks ago. Was $104 including shipping for 49 bars :(

Desiderata
09-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks, Deana!! I ordered some. (And got another 5% off by going through ebates). Good deal!

Meeshellee
09-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Those who use quest bars as alternatives, GNC.com is having a 1 day sale (30% off, and $1 flat shipping) using the code GIVEMEMORE and I think that equals out to 1.65 ber bar if you buy one box, and 1.61 per bar if you bought 2 boxes, and so on.
Just thought I would share this info...

Just got mine, and another blender bottle for $5 (plus 30% off too)! I love deals, thanks for the tip.

clbott
09-26-2013, 03:10 PM
I tried the Lemon cream pie quest bar for the first time today. Um - the best I can say is that I will truly have to be hungry to eat one of these again - So that's a ....bonus? lol One down, 11 more to go....

Meeshellee
09-26-2013, 03:13 PM
The cinamon ones are amazing if you heat them in the microwave for 10 secs...yummm

clbott
09-26-2013, 03:18 PM
The cinamon ones are amazing if you heat them in the microwave for 10 secs...yummm

Uhoh - thats good to know. I actually am kinda good with the yuckier ones - I am not sure that I am capable of handling something that is super yummy right now. I just don't trust myself yet - so the moderatly edible ones are probably my best bet until I get a handle on WHY I over indulge.

Ill get there - then I will reward myself with yummy stuff again! Or maybe just buy one at a time to dip my toes into the self control pool.

psjones
09-26-2013, 03:40 PM
A new flavor is available on the Quest website: Double Chocolate Chunk. It will be in stores in a month or two.

Meeshellee
09-26-2013, 03:56 PM
A new flavor is available on the Quest website: Double Chocolate Chunk. It will be in stores in a month or two.

Be sure to check ingredients on these. I believe it was Lisa that posted a while back on which ones were and weren't IP friendly. The natural ones are definitely better than the others, and the peanut butter and strawberry cheesecake were the closest to fit IP protocol. The rest were super-restricted I believe.

Deana509
09-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Posting this here so it won't get lost

The Quest Coconut Cashew bars don't fit our IP profile for alts (or maybe you could call them Super-restricted and limit to once/week). They have too much fat. Take fat calories (60) multiply by 3 (no more than 1/3 calories from fat) and you can see that there are too many calories from fat in this bar. You'd want no more than 56 calories from fat to be less than 1/3
The other Quest Bars that don't work (based on fat content) or would be Super Restricted:
Vanilla Almond Crunch,
Mixed Berry Bliss,
Peanut Butter Supreme,
Peanut Butter & Jelly,

All of the other Quest bars would be restricted. There are two that fall right on the edge between restricted & non (Choc Peanut butter & Strawberry Cheesecake). Fat cals are under 1/3 (but not way under) and they both have 8 g carbs. I'd still personally them restricted.

Here is what Lisa had posted previously about the bars that work and/or are super restrictive

Meeshellee
09-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Here is what Lisa had posted previously about the bars that work and/or are super restrictive

Thank you for digging that up!

lisa32989
09-26-2013, 08:53 PM
It is available on the quest website now.
It fits the profile for a regular restricted (9 g net carbs [total carbs minus fiber], <30% fat, 160 calories)

Oh, and the new white chocolate raspberry is more than 30% fat AND 190 cals. I'd avoid that one, too.

psjones
09-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Thank you for digging that up!
There are IP products that are over 30% fat, and some are over 40%. None of them are super restricted, but everyone can use their best judgment.

ecdcslim
09-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Went into my local GNC over lunch - huge deals, buy 3 get one free, 25% off a case. Just bought the Quest Chocolate Brownie, Lemon Creme, Apple Pie and Chocolate Peanut Butter - all 8g or under net cards, 30% or less calories from fat. While I was in there, they had protein shakes that looked really awesome. Nutritional Info: Total Lean - Calories = 200, Fat = 3g, (30 calls), total net carbs = 9g, Protein = 25. The 2nd one is Tripack = calories = 130, Fat 1.5g total net carbs 3g, protein = 25g. Does anyone know anything about these shake alternatives?

Princess Peacock
09-27-2013, 01:57 PM
There are IP products that are over 30% fat, and some are over 40%. None of them are super restricted, but everyone can use their best judgment.

I am not familiar with any IP products that have that much fat. Maybe they are not any of the products I use regularly. Would you mind sharing which IP products you are referring to, that have 30-40% fat? I want to avoid those in the future - Thanks!

kcandponies
09-27-2013, 03:08 PM
My coach gave me a sheet with the nutritional value of all the products. I don't pay much attention right now, I know the % matters more in the later phases. The restricted foods seem to be those higher in carbs, not fat, but I know the more fat you take in, then less you will burn.

High fat items;
BBQ soy nuts 140 cals/60 from fat
Chocolate soy snacks 150 cals/60 from fat
Choc drink UHT 100 cals/35 from fat
Dill pickle zippers 190 cals/70 from fat
Garlic soy nuts 140cals/60 from fat
Peanut butter protein bar 170 clas/60 from fat
Peanut soy puffs 160 cals/60 from fat
Vanill a drink UHT 100 cals/35 from fat

Princess Peacock
09-27-2013, 03:36 PM
My coach gave me a sheet with the nutritional value of all the products. I don't pay much attention right now, I know the % matters more in the later phases. The restricted foods seem to be those higher in carbs, not fat, but I know the more fat you take in, then less you will burn.

High fat items;

Wow! I was right - not products I use, but good to know! Thanks!

psjones
09-27-2013, 08:37 PM
I am not familiar with any IP products that have that much fat. Maybe they are not any of the products I use regularly. Would you mind sharing which IP products you are referring to, that have 30-40% fat? I want to avoid those in the future - Thanks!

High fat items;

Wow! I was right - not products I use, but good to know! Thanks!

KC's list has most of them. Wafers and the caramel nut bar are two more. The BBQ soy nuts are the highest.

amt6
10-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Hi all -- I started running 2 weeks ago and my coach said I need an extra packet on days I run. It's only 3 days per week (following C25k), so I figured Quest bars would be a good addition to my otherwise all-IP protocol, and because I'm burning calories running, I can use them as this "extra" packet.

I have read through this thread and wanted to make sure I am on the right page. The following bars can be used as an extra because they are less than 30% calories from fat and all the other criteria:
-Chocolate Brownie
-Strawberry Cheesecake
-Cinnamon Roll
-Apple Pie
-Chocolate Peanut Butter
-Lemon Cream Pie

The following are no good:
-Double Chocolate Chunk (too many carbs)
-Cookie Dough
-Peanut Butter Supreme
-Coconut Cashew
-White Chocolate Raspberry
-Vanilla Almond Crunch
-Mixed Berry
-PB&J
-Banana Nut Muffin (too many carbs)

I hope this list is helpful for someone, and also that I'm doing the math correctly. Please correct me if I'm not!! Have a great Sunday :)

lisa32989
10-13-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm traveling & on my phone.
Will update later when on my computer & referencing multiple screens at one
I listed good bars to choose a while back
The new double chocolate chunk is a good one for IP

Most of the ones that don't work as well, it is due to fat content.

I count all as restricted (remember IP isn't only calories, only carbs, or only fat)
There are only 2 I would consider as nonrestricted due to carb/fat content but cals are higher than I like my non restricted to be (especially for a 4th packet)
One is the strawberry cheesecake.
I'll have to look up the other when I'm home this evening

Meeshellee
10-13-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm traveling & on my phone.
Will update later when on my computer & referencing multiple screens at one
I listed good bars to choose a while back
The new double chocolate chunk is a good one for IP

Most if the ones that don't work as well, it is due to fat content.

I count all as restricted (remember IP isn't only calories, only carbs, or only fat)
There are only 2 I would consider as nonestricted due to carb/fat content but cals are higher than I like my non restricted to be (especially for a 4th packet)
One is the strawberry cheesecake.
I'll have to look up the other when I'm home this evening

I believe the other one is the chocolate peanut butter.

Tuscany123
10-13-2013, 08:55 PM
I like the Quest bars. Sometimes though my local store has them and they are not as soft as they could be. Lisa suggested that ordering directly from the Quest site means they come in the best softest state possible. I searched for a coupon code online before ordering tonight and the code OnAQuest gave me free shipping! I thought I'd post it here in case someone else needs it.

lisa32989
10-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Here is the list I made again. I added the new flavors. To specifically address amt6's question, the double chocolate chunk AND the banana nut muffin are fine. Neither have too many net carbs (or cals or fat) to be restricteds.

The Quest Bars that don't work (based on fat content) or would be Super Restricted (once/week):
Vanilla Almond Crunch,
Mixed Berry Bliss,
Peanut Butter Supreme,
Peanut Butter & Jelly,

All of the other Quest bars would be restricted. There are two that fall right on the edge between restricted & non (Choc Peanut butter & Strawberry Cheesecake). Fat cals are under 1/3 (but not way under) and they both have 8 g net carbs. I'd still personally them restricted, altho some use them as nonrestricted. Make your decisions carefully and determine what works based on WIs.

amt6
10-15-2013, 10:10 AM
This is the first time I've been back on the site since asking my question. Just wanted to say thanks Lisa for taking the time to answer so thoroughly!

kkids
10-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Here is the list I made again. I added the new flavors. To specifically address amt6's question, the double chocolate chunk AND the banana nut muffin are fine. Neither have too many net carbs (or cals or fat) to be restricteds.

Vanilla Almond Crunch,
Mixed Berry Bliss,
Peanut Butter Supreme,
Peanut Butter & Jelly,

All of the other Quest bars would be restricted. There are two that fall right on the edge between restricted & non (Choc Peanut butter & Strawberry Cheesecake). Fat cals are under 1/3 (but not way under) and they both have 8 g net carbs. I'd still personally them restricted, altho some use them as nonrestricted. Make your decisions carefully and determine what works based on WIs.

Thanks for this list. My coach suggested Queste bars for DH since he wants to follow the IP program since I'm doing it, but I know he won't do the WI.