Looking Good, Feeling Great - Is it just me...

View Full Version : Is it just me...

ghost
01-21-2013, 02:13 AM
Is it just me or is there a huge gigantic leap between a size 18 and a size 16 in women's pants? I swear, going from a 20 to an 18 was like 12 lbs of loss, and now I have my size 16 goal pants and its like no matter how much I lose I cannot freakin fit into them! I am so discouraged and just...frustrated, like I'll never fit into them. I've lost 18 lbs since I got into my 18's and I still can't get the 16's up over my upper thighs and the calves on them are super tight.

chubbiegurl
01-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Not too sure about the size thing cause I wear so many different brands. Just see it as a personal challenge to get into those 16, u r gonna show them.

ghost
01-21-2013, 02:40 AM
Hats the thing, two pairs of 16's, two different brands, one is old navy which sizes usually run large and the other is American eagle.

Vex
01-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Yes.

Are you sure the 16 is not 16 regular and the 18 you have is 18W?

It took me a long freaking time to get from 18W to 16W to 16R. It's like 3 separate sizes. If it gives you any hope, 16 to 14 is pretty quick. :)

owlsteazombies
01-21-2013, 11:40 AM
This is weird. I'm one inch shorter than you, weigh one lb less than you, and I can still fit into my 22's and 20's and one regular 18 out of old navy and an 18W in levi's.

ghost
01-21-2013, 01:27 PM
No, they are 18 regulars that I have been wearing, 18w never fit me right, the crotches were too long and the legs too short. Owlsteazombies, I always think it is so weird how people of the same height and weight can be so different in shape and size. I carry a lot of weight in my upper body, belly, boobs, arm fat, back fat and about 10 chins, my legs on the other hand, have always been quite shapely, lol!

thnknthin1
01-23-2013, 06:30 PM
I have the same problem! Going from 20 to 18 was a breeze and I have a pair of 16's that I have been trying on every time I lose 10lbs. I still cannot get them past my thighs either, very aggravating! :hug:

elvislover324
01-23-2013, 06:36 PM
I have a pair of Fashion Bug 18s that I started wearing this week and can breathe in (my husband even said my butt looked good, whoo hoo). I have a pair of Old Navy 18s that I am at least 7-10lbs from fitting into.

The Fashion Bug ones don't say anything about being an 18"w" so maybe it's just assumed as it's plus-sized in that part of the store?

XLMuffnTop
01-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Aw, I'm jealous of you guys. I'm 234 right now and no where close to 18s, W or R. In fact, I can barely (uncomfortably) squeeze in my Levi's size 20s. So, I'm stuck with 24s because I don't have any 22's and I refuse to buy any.

When I was down to 219 I was still in 18s. Ugh! Frustrating.

LockItUp
01-24-2013, 04:00 PM
At 220 my 18s were horribly tight, at 205 they fit comfortably, got into 16s in the lower 190s.

Radiojane
01-24-2013, 04:07 PM
I have lost 92 pounds and dropped one single solitary pant size. Ok, two, if you count the one pair of penningtons 32w's I owned. The rest were 30's. I'm now in a comfortable 28, and have been for 40 pounds.

Definitely get your frustration.

PUPMOM5
01-24-2013, 04:25 PM
It's all about body shape. I can be in size 20 for almost forever. Like 280 is where I can barely fit in them, but I don't expect to see a size 18 until I get around 240. I dream of size 16s but I can't even imagine what my body will look like when I hit 14s.

elvislover324
01-24-2013, 04:34 PM
I bought a pair of 14s today on the clearance rack and they look like little kid pants lol. They are women's dresspants so there is no way they are kids but just the thought of me getting into them over the next year is out of my comprehension. I bought them for incentive even though I probably shouldn't have but they are really nice and I just wanted them.

Even the 18s I got into seem so small to me, it's shocking that I can pull them up and button them. I see them on my hanger and say no way I can wear them and then I do! Makes me feel like I am dreaming.

bethFromDayton
01-24-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm in 20s. I don't expect to be in 18s until I get to around 200-205. The 20s are roomy, but they fit.

I do have one pair of jeans that I might put back darts in so I can continue wearing them since they otherwise fit pretty well.

I've as big as a 22 (and things were getting tight). I have 20s and 18s around, but long ago got rid of 16s and belows, so when I get there (and I WILL), I'll have to buy new clothes.

Here's to hoping we all get to smaller sizes!

Devoncroix
01-25-2013, 12:19 AM
I have a pair of 16 jeans, that I could not pull over my hips at the beginning of this weight loss. Now I can pull them up all the way and button them. They are still a smidgen too tight for comfort, although they are more comfy than last week. My hope is they will be 100% comfy in time for the super bowl get together I plan on going to. I can't stand uncomfy jeans or muffin tops so I will only wear them if they are not in the least bit tight.

I second the hope that we all make it into our smaller sizes soon! :cheer2:

ghost
01-25-2013, 02:14 AM
NSV, the old navy pair now go all the way up my hips...no chance of bottoming for a few more inches though!

Back when I first joined 3FC the 20something group had a clothes exchange going on. I sent and received clothes from multiple people. I think it would be awesome to do that again. Not only is it a great opportunity for people low on cash to continue to lose despite not being able to afford a new wardrobe, bit it is very Eco friendly to reuse clothes instead of buying new and wasting resources.
Is 3FC against this type of thing going on, or is it something that one of us could potentially undertake with the blessing of 3FC?

sontaikle
01-25-2013, 08:02 AM
NSV, the old navy pair now go all the way up my hips...no chance of bottoming for a few more inches though!

Back when I first joined 3FC the 20something group had a clothes exchange going on. I sent and received clothes from multiple people. I think it would be awesome to do that again. Not only is it a great opportunity for people low on cash to continue to lose despite not being able to afford a new wardrobe, bit it is very Eco friendly to reuse clothes instead of buying new and wasting resources.
Is 3FC against this type of thing going on, or is it something that one of us could potentially undertake with the blessing of 3FC?

I would love to do a clothing exchange. Heck, I'll send clothes off to anyone who wants them without anything in return (well, as long as they pay shipping. Can't afford to send clothes all over the world). Even after donating a bunch, I still have far too many plus size clothes lying around that I would love to send to someone who needs them.

melsweetie84
03-03-2013, 01:12 PM
I just bought 2 pairs of pants from Old Navy & got them in...same style & color of jeans, one in a size 18 that I've been wearing (in a different color & now they're falling off of me) & the other in a 16. Of course, I had to try to disappoint myself by going with the 16's first and you can imagine how big my eyes went when THEY FIT! Tried the 18's on, yup, way too big. I'm waiting until payday to return them but I'm almost tempted to get 14's when I exchange, simply because wearing the 16's all day at work caused them to relax a bit & by the end of the day, I was hiking them back up as well. I'm tickled half to death, considering I was in 26W's 2 years & almost 60 lbs. ago! 10 years ago, I wore Old Navy jeans religiously, size 18 in high school, and I was about 20 lbs. lighter then than I am now.

elvislover324
03-03-2013, 02:03 PM
I just bought 2 pairs of pants from Old Navy & got them in...same style & color of jeans, one in a size 18 that I've been wearing (in a different color & now they're falling off of me) & the other in a 16. Of course, I had to try to disappoint myself by going with the 16's first and you can imagine how big my eyes went when THEY FIT! Tried the 18's on, yup, way too big. I'm waiting until payday to return them but I'm almost tempted to get 14's when I exchange, simply because wearing the 16's all day at work caused them to relax a bit & by the end of the day, I was hiking them back up as well. I'm tickled half to death, considering I was in 26W's 2 years & almost 60 lbs. ago! 10 years ago, I wore Old Navy jeans religiously, size 18 in high school, and I was about 20 lbs. lighter then than I am now.

14s!!!! Awesome for you!!! I was at Old Navy yesterday, their prices seem so much higher than when I could fit my butt in there last! I haven't been investing any $$ in clothes except at the Goodwill or places like Macy's if I have a coupon. Old Navy had some really cute Spring dresses that I was drooling over. Can't even believe I tried on some XL stuff and it fit!! This was all while I was strutting around in a pair of size 16s from my closet yesterday that I never expected to fit nevermind be able to wear!

Have so much fun at Old Navy, let us know what you find!!

melsweetie84
03-03-2013, 02:37 PM
I'm just thrilled to be able to wear ON again! I boycotted them until recently, starting when they took their plus sizes out of their stores & made them available online only. *I still say they need to put it back in stores: for a clothing company to have NO consistency in sizing...you really have to try things on!*
They definitely are way more expensive than they used to be but I caught them with all their jeans on for $19 online, & I purchased enough to qualify for free shipping. So there's that! lol Their shirts are horrible though. They're shapeless, make everyone look boxy whether it's a size 2 or 20 if you don't get a fitted shirt, and they're so thin that you're lucky to get 2 wears out of them before there's holes somewhere in them. Their jeans, however, always seem to last forever for me though. :) I did buy one shirt that I'm in LOVE with, and it's one of the active compression tanks...I just wish I'd got it in a size smaller to be a little more compressing! So kudos Old Navy, for your jeans & activewear. haha!

melsweetie84
03-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Also, I'm so glad you brought up Goodwill. If my favorite one wasn't almost an hour away, I'd be in there EVERY DAY. Up until recently, I haven't invested much in clothes...like, I'll go to consignment/thrift stores & my fav. Goodwill, and buy a whole new wardrobe for less than $75. Seriously! I still prefer to do that but that first time I put on my sz. 18 ON jeans in the Old Navy store...and I saw what kind of justice it was doing to my butt, LOL It was on! Plus, I work at Home Depot, and that job wears the **** out of some jeans with as much walking/climbing/lifting that I end up doing everyday.

Also, my last time I did the fat clothing purge (about a year ago)...someone started up a facebook yard-sale page for my part of NW Georgia & I listed my old but still good clothes on there & ended up getting about $60 out of everything to one girl (I ended up charging her like, $2-3 a shirt, and $4-5 per pair of pants...some still almost new! So it was a win-win for both of us!). Plus, it almost paid for my "new" wardrobe too. LOL

1961tracy
03-04-2013, 01:08 AM
I've had that problem too in the past when I lost weight. Sizing is all over the place and even petite people have this same issue. I think Lucky or Marie Claire magazine this month has a photo array of real people wearing jeans and they are all around the same weight and some are even the same height. It is very interesting.

I look at it as just a number not a judgement. I try to find what looks good and what I feel good wearing. I have given up on what a size 16 or 12 should be because the designers make it so arbitrary. A true 16 is pretty meaningless so I don't get hung up on sizes.

Scondy
03-04-2013, 03:50 AM
I went through the same struggle. I'm just now starting to fit into size 16 pants closer to the 200 and less mark. A lot of this has to do with the inches around your waist - not weight. Pants 18+ are usually stretchy and more forgiving. At 245 I was pushing a 20 and heading toward a 22. Grab the tape measure and start researching sizes ad fits on websites. It'll help you keep track of how close you're getting!

Porthardygurl
03-04-2013, 05:10 AM
Oh i hate sizing!

I was in a 24 penningtons Jean when i weighed 315. I hit the 290's and managed to jump into a tight 20..I have been in my size 20 forever!!! Like so much so that they will wear out before i even get to an 18...I am now around 284 and still cant fit my 18.. I think the last time i wore them I was probably around 260..I know my "Normal" clothes which are size 15 from Bluenotes Jeans, fit when i was about 258. I will be lucky if i ever fit into a size 14 or 12 again..one can dream i guess..

My issue is the muffin top..Im pretty distributed for fat around my body..my bum is always the first to go, then the boobs and legs and then finally the arms and stomach..but that stomach persisits..and its just not cool to have a muffin top at my age anymore..So until that leaves..i guess it will be size 20 for awhile.

LadyP2013
03-06-2013, 12:05 AM
I have noticed that many different types of brands, etc. will fit differently. Some 18's are bigger than other 18's, longer, stretchier, tighter, and the rise is different on some of them. It all contributes to how it will fit. I'm in a size 18 myself and my mom gave me a pair of size 16 jeans from American Eagle and I can fit them perfectly. So.....It just depends.