South Beach Diet - Phase I thread, 1/7 - 1/13

View Full Version : Phase I thread, 1/7 - 1/13

TwynnB
01-09-2013, 08:07 AM
I realized we don't have a thread for this yet, it tends to be a *great* resource for everyone just starting out on phase I. Look for advice, gripe to each other, share successes and menus, etc. It makes it so much easier to stick to when you have support!

How's it going on phase I, chicks!?!?

Nina1979
01-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Well I'm on day 3 of phase 1 and feel much better today then I did the last few days. I had a bad headache the first 2 days but not today.
I haven't really had any cravings yet so hopefully this will continue. Lost 2.5 pounds so far so hope it will be a few more till the end of this phase (want to lose about 60 in total).
I orignally planned to start working out when starting this diet but felt it was a bit much. I will probably start next week when my body has adapted to the new diet.

Chantea29
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm on day 9day of Phase 1 so far soo good lost 5lbs hoping for 2-3lbs more. I walk on my treadmill 3-5days a wk for 30-60mins but after working out last night I felt really weak so I was wondering can you have protein shakes on phase 1??

TwynnB
01-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Chantea - they normally don't recommend working out on phase I, I personally wouldn't. As well, many protein shakes have added sugar (and other nasty stuff). Really, you're probably not lacking protein right now, but simple carbs...which would cause cravings and stop your progress. Since you've only got 4 (!!!!) more days to go, I'd just wait, or do shorter times on the treadmill.

Great job so far, chicks!! I know the old threads really helped me for phase I breakfast ideas. You have to think outside of the box!!

Nina1979
01-10-2013, 10:11 AM
First day I'm kind of struggling. I'm hungry and craving carbs and got another slight headache. Drinking lots of tea and hoping that will help and the cravings will be less tomorrow.

jenne1017
01-10-2013, 02:04 PM
you can make your own protein shakes but without fruit - not sure how tasty they'd be: can use protein powder (no sugar), yogurt, almond milk, spinach and chia seeds, even natural PB.

Good job everyone!!! Keep it up!

yankeeinsouth
01-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Ok Tammy but now I'm lost about where I should be posting. I was following all of the establish people in the daily post... now I'm in the newbie post. I'm not sure I can do both but I thought I'd start with this one for now.

Day 10 !!!! I think. I have been following paydaymom so that I know what day I am on but I didn't see a post from her today. Thinks are going well. I think my husband is getting excited about the weight loss and he even packed our snacks for us yesterday when I didn't have time.

New today are lettuce wraps and pepperoni crisps. Both were great!!!! I think I can become a lettuce wrap chef in a few more tries. I ate the pepperoni crisps with hummus and it was just the crunch I had been missing. Now.... I do have one down side. The pretzels the girls were eating for their after school snack were talking to me. Just like something you would see in a sit com. My whole field of vision was that one little pretzel and he was saying, "eat me, eat me, come on!!" I didn't eat it!!!

The cravings are not bad at the grocery store and I think that my grocery shopping is more efficient because there are now several aisle I don't need to enter at all. Really I think I only need 1/2 the grocery store which tells you how much of it is processed food.

Tomorrow I am going to try the orange dreamsicle smoothie. I can't think of a smoothie that will be easy and work on phase 1 so .... fake orange it is.

So far I have tried the taco bake and the meatball casserole. Both were great dinners that worked well for myself and my husband but also for our three kids. What has everyone else tried so far?

need to work on getting more vegetable in ( I hate them all but have asparagus in the refrigerator for the first time in YEARS!!) and more water.

Nina1979
01-11-2013, 04:14 AM
Starting day 5 and I just went up a pound... I am hoping it's due to me getting my period this week, but still...
I did eat a jogurt yesterday that I thought had no sugar (i checked in the store), but I checked again this morning and it does. So in the trash it went. But I can't imagine the weight gain is just from that.
Sticking with it but the cravings are more difficult to deal with and I feel light headed sometimes, especially in the afternoon.

TwynnB
01-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Yankee - you can post wherever you want, but for first time phase I chicks...it's just harder! Historically, this was a popular thread, exactly for your great post....the struggles, new finds, cravings or not, etc. Feel free to post anywhere and everywhere.

Nina, it sounds like the weight can definately be from hormones...when you weigh yourself daily, you see how much your body fluctuates. I actually gain weight when I ovulate as well, I found out.

paydaymom
01-11-2013, 10:27 AM
I am here!! Day 10!!! Yesterday was horrible. I had a lot of running to do yesterday and all with a PMS migraine. Usually I am ready for b/c I get awful cravings right before that TOM but this time I had a moment of doubt the day before if I had ate something wrong b/c I wanted extra. It completely took me off guard until i awoke this morning. I should have known that is what the migraine was coming from but didn't.

I am preparing for phase 2... reread that section in the supercharged book and trying to do the exercises in the book too. Some days like yesterday it just doesn't happen but I pretty much think i stayed on plan!!

I went to the grocery store on Wednesday and felt like I had never been before. It will get easier as some small things I changed I figure out where they are!!

yankeeinsouth I am going to have go look for the meatball casserole recipe now. My bunch would love that!

Nina1979
01-11-2013, 10:41 AM
I know how you feel PDmom - I had one of those PMS migraines on Tuesday. It helps when I take magnesium and vitamin C a few days before - but i forgot to take them early this time around.
I made a vegetarian chilli for lunch - very filling and the right thing for this cold and dreary weather. Will have to check out the meatball casserole.

paydaymom
01-11-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm on day 9day of Phase 1 so far soo good lost 5lbs hoping for 2-3lbs more. I walk on my treadmill 3-5days a wk for 30-60mins but after working out last night I felt really weak so I was wondering can you have protein shakes on phase 1??

have you read about the interval walking in the supercharged book? I am starting mine today but I have to do an eliptical (sp?) baby steps. I have to get the clothes of it first....:carrot:

jenne1017
01-11-2013, 11:00 AM
try the http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/desserts-phase-1/40576-peanut-butter-cup-phase-i-onward.html

It really really helps me during PMS and I am NOT a fan of chocolate but sometimes a chick needs it! Just make sure the PB is natural and is your nut allotment for the day

paydaymom
01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
First day I'm kind of struggling. I'm hungry and craving carbs and got another slight headache. Drinking lots of tea and hoping that will help and the cravings will be less tomorrow.

The more water I drank the better for me the first few days. On day 4 I had a bad day and someone suggested drinking some LF milk. It really helped.

paydaymom
01-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Chantea - they normally don't recommend working out on phase I, I personally wouldn't. As well, many protein shakes have added sugar (and other nasty stuff). Really, you're probably not lacking protein right now, but simple carbs...which would cause cravings and stop your progress. Since you've only got 4 (!!!!) more days to go, I'd just wait, or do shorter times on the treadmill.

Great job so far, chicks!! I know the old threads really helped me for phase I breakfast ideas. You have to think outside of the box!!

I am confused I just reread supercharged and he has phase 1 exercises that last two weeks. I will look again to make sure. It is also for only 20 minutes and intervals.

pinkcandiez
01-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Starting P1 for me has been very difficult as the Christmas break was traumatic in food choices. I'm only on D2 but I'm suffering from severe sugar cravings. I have a bit and I'm not satisfied. Plus, I was eating more during the break so getting back to my normal human sized portions is a bit hard. Though it is getting easier. Day before starting P1 was hard but my portions are getting more reasonable and cravings a BIT more manageable.
I really want to try that desert recipe but I don't have any fudgicles available in England u.u

And yeah I agree with the no strenuous exercise. Walking isn't really that strenuous so I'm sure it's ok :)

yankeeinsouth
01-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Hi All!!

Remember that nice upbeat post from yesterday...... not so good today. Is there something about day 11 I should have been prepared for? Payday, How was it for you? I had an okay day but made severe errors that put me in a bad place tonight. I didn't have a dinner plan and I had a husband that was willing to wait for me to get home an hour late from work so that I could cook dinner. Needless to say, no dinner. I have been snacking for hours and nothing seems to satisfy me. I have eaten a month's supply of nuts, pepperoni, cheese, cheesecake muffins and a lettuce wrap that was suppose to count as dinner so that I would stop eating. On top of that, why is day 11 making my children whiney and ill tempered??!! The 8 year old through a fit about not having a popcicle RIGHT AWAY, she is crying and thinks we are unfair and don't love her. UGH!!! It is just one of those nights. Tomorrow a nice co-worker is bringing dunkin donuts from a store that just opened in the neighboring town. For those of you that aren't from the south I am trapped down here with only crispy creme donuts to eat and I really, really miss dunkin donuts!! So..... send good mojo for tomorrow morning because I am going to stick to this diet and pummel that girl with her donuts. ;)

I do have one question.... no donuts ever again?? my plan is to stick with this diet until Easter then binge for Easter and go back to it after the weekend. That is one of the things that is helping me keep on the plan. What do you think??

Thanks for reading! I hope everyone else had a better evening!

Maria7
01-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Hi
I don't like the taste of the ip jello, can I eat the jello in the little boxes from the grocery store? They do have aspartame.
Thanks!

kaylae24
01-12-2013, 12:30 AM
I am starting my first day Sunday and I am soooo nervous I have read so many posts the past few weeks and am very excited to start but also very scared to say the least! I am 24 years old and 308 lbs I can't believe I let it get so bad :( I am ready for a change and I mean now!!! I'm hoping I can stick to this diet I am ready to be skinny! :)

TwynnB
01-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Awww, yankee, how I miss you :D. You can have a donut again in your lifetime, but I would wait til maintenance or a special occasion. It really does send you into such a spiral. Make sure you visit the crock pot section, it is great for those late days!

Maria - a lot of chicks will use the sugar free jello...they also like to put it in yogurt too! Just be careful, for some it sets off cravings.

Kaylae - welcome!! This is a great place to be :)

paydaymom
01-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Oh Yankee!! I am on Day 11 today plus it is TOM for me BUT so far so good. I can't believe you do not love our Hot n' Now Krispy Kreme donuts. Once I went to a diet Dr that was right behind one hahahahaha.

Today I plan to get a lot of house work I am behind on b/c of work. Maybe I can get some steps in today b/c yesterday was not hitting on much. My shoulder is giving me a fit from my fall on Monday and I can't find my ice pack. I didn't eat enough veggies or drink enough water yesterday but after reading Yankee's I am going to get going early just in case.

Check in with you all later! Oh BTW, I am down 10 lbs!!! A couple more of those and I will be in the double digits on what I have left to loose hahaha:carrot:

Nina1979
01-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Day 6 and I relost the pound I had put on so down 2.5 all in all. Hoping it will be one or two more in the next few days after my period.
Cravings are getting better but I am getting tired of eggs in the morning. I did make this for breakfast today (well sort of - I made it in the frying pan and with feta) and that was yummy so will probably have it again tomorrow.

I live in Europe and I haven't really found any sugar free options for treats like yello or popsicles. So I am looking forwart to some fruit in 8 days.

Btw - having somewhere to chat with others in the same boat really does help. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Nina1979
01-12-2013, 12:03 PM
mmh I can't post the link yet. Well it was from Kalyn's Kitchen - the egg beak with broccoli, ham and mozzarella.

paydaymom
01-12-2013, 12:20 PM
I am starting my first day Sunday and I am soooo nervous I have read so many posts the past few weeks and am very excited to start but also very scared to say the least! I am 24 years old and 308 lbs I can't believe I let it get so bad :( I am ready for a change and I mean now!!! I'm hoping I can stick to this diet I am ready to be skinny! :)

Welcome!! My highest was at 307! So I know where you are coming from. In my personal opinion this is the best place for you to be as those of us who are so big the weight loss will be significant until we get much smaller and that in itself is enough to help us keep that much needed momentum going!! Drink lots of water, eat your snacks and eat those veggies and the rest falls into place!!

yankeeinsouth
01-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Today is much better so far!! and the donut girl.... she ate too much last night and when she saw her weight on the scale decided not to bring donuts today!! :) I think I could have handled it though. I had cheese and pepperoni for breakfast, worked well past quitting time and still felt ok.

Payday we're on the same day so you were already out of danger! It's good that I scared you into drinking your water and eating your veggies though!

Kaylae, we are here for you. Get started!!

Today... I'm going to the store to get the ff cottage cheese I needed for the smoothie and didn't have. I have the chick peas to try for that snack and that asparagus is going to have to come out of the refrigerator. In fact everything has to come out of the refrigerator. With 5 people in the house and all this new food plus the food for the kids I can't find anything in there!!

maybe a walk with the kids??

off to drink water now.

bye

paydaymom
01-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Day 12! Sundays are hard, especially on phase 1 as we have the big Sunday dinner at my mom's house. Last Sunday I was able to stay on plan, praying I can this Sunday.

Good luck to everyone!!

ultimatebea
01-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Someone said Krispy Kreme . . .
I grew up in Chapel Hill, and I still dream of them . . .

Nina1979
01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Day 7 and doing much better. Since yesterday I feel like i have more energy and less cravings. I've stuck to the plan except once when I eat a diet yogurt and only saw after that it DID have sugar although I checked before (I think my brain was missing the sugar this week - I kept forgetting things).
I even worked out for the first time since starting P1 - did 30 day shredd and although I am out of shape I felt good.
After a week I've even gotten used to having my tea with only sweetener and think I might try it without because I really don't want to eat too much artificially sweetend things.

shelflife
01-13-2013, 03:03 PM
second last day of P1 for me! I'm trying to figure out my transition to P1.5-P2. TwynnB, what is your strategy? Are you totally grain free or just wheat product free? How about sweet potatoes?

I feel like wheat products open up too many options for me and set off cravings for me, and I'm also beginning to wonder if I have a bit of gluten intolerance. I do enjoy oatmeal and love quinoa though.

Thinking I may go until next Sunday with no grains and 1-2 fruits per day, then see how 1 starch (from non-wheat grain or sweet potato) a day effects me.

TwynnB
01-13-2013, 03:10 PM
I'll be honest - I didn't transition to phase II well - but learned on here afterwards. Most recommend to add 1 fruit OR 1 grain weekly, and find out what happens. I find that apples make me hunnnnngry! Many find they can't have grains for breakfast, because they trigger cravings. That's why you do it slowly, is to make sure what works and doesn't work for you!

yankeeinsouth
01-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Good luck today Payday!!!! Maybe you can bring your own side dish to help? I was reading the restaurant portion of the book today, maybe you can treat your Mom's like a restaurant?

Sundays are a hard day for me and for some reason I have started snacking continuously. Especially on the nuts! I'm putting them up in the cabinet.

I'm scheduled for phase II Wed. But I'm not ready. I'm gonna stick with phase I for another two weeks. I still need to get the vegetables down and the water.

First yoga class ever today if I don't get called into work during the one hour I try to do something.

silverdaisy
01-13-2013, 08:34 PM
I am on Day 10 of Phase 1. This is the first time I have ever done SBD so I studied up a lot before beginning. I am a little sad that I have only lost 1 pound, but it is better than gaining a pound!

I never cooked much before this, and I have to say that I don't really enjoy it. The cooking isn't so bad, it is the clean-up that sucks. Oh well...I will think of it as exercise. I feel like I am going through vegetables faster than a garbage disposal. I should probably add more protein...

paydaymom
01-13-2013, 08:40 PM
I am on Day 10 of Phase 1. This is the first time I have ever done SBD so I studied up a lot before beginning. I am a little sad that I have only lost 1 pound, but it is better than gaining a pound!

I never cooked much before this, and I have to say that I don't really enjoy it. The cooking isn't so bad, it is the clean-up that sucks. Oh well...I will think of it as exercise. I feel like I am going through vegetables faster than a garbage disposal. I should probably add more protein...

I hate clean up too!!!

I get protein at every meal and almost all snacks, even if it is just milk and I do believe that helps.

Are you have cravings? I lost a lot of weight because I am so big so do not compare yourself to others.

yankeeinsouth
01-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Made it through the weekend!!! The asparagus was okay. The kids were willing to eat it to get a Popsicle. Had scallops tonight and they were yummy. I finally made the orange dream shake and it was good. Not great, a little "chalky" and I used 1/2 the Mount of orange extract and kook aid. It had a nice flavor, was very filling and hubby and I agreed it would be a good breakfast.

Kaylae - How was your first day?

Nina1979 - we were sick of eggs quickly too. Those cheesecake cupcakes really saved us. I made the whole recipe about 30 cupcakes and then froze them. In the morning or anytime I want some thing sweet we will get one out.

Ultimatebea - I thought I might be panned for mentioning KK. ;) sorry for the memories.

Shelflife - I. Going to hold on phase I for another week or two. Will you keep me posted about life on phase II?

Have a good Monday everyone!!!!