Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #1  

Default Skeptical....

I just started calorie counting today. I'm nervous because I've always gone to the low carb diets and lost, gained, lost gained more. A friend of mine lost weight calorie counting so I decided maybe this can be more permanent for me. I'm just so uneasy because if really never looked at calories before! I have the my fitness pal app so I started tracking calories today. Any one have any advice for me? Thanks in advance! I have A LOT of weight to lost. About 150 pounds!
swinegeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Just give yourself time to get in the groove.... You will find staples and that will help you.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 View Post
Just give yourself time to get in the groove.... You will find staples and that will help you.
How long did it take you to lose the 52 pounds?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

My best advice?
Record everything that passes your lips, no matter how small.
Keep your calorie budget for the day reasonable and sustainable.

Good luck!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy View Post
My best advice?
Record everything that passes your lips, no matter how small.
Keep your calorie budget for the day reasonable and sustainable.

Good luck!!!
I'm doing 1200 calories. Today it wasn't bad at all I was able to have my 3 meals and snacks in between so that I was not hungry all day long! :-)
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #6  

My advice is to be almost to the point of obsessive about tracking your calories. The more it's on your mind, the more aware you will be of what foods you are eating and how they could derail or support your progress for the day.

I would also advise that you track the sodium content of the food as well (which is easy if you're already looking at the nutrition labels), I try to steer away from any food that has a sodium content of more than 500 mg's.

Good luck!
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #7  

Thanks. Do you all exercise a lot? I really don't like exercising but I'm trying!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

You can eat low carb while counting your calories. That's been the best solution for me.
I understand for a lot of people that feels overly complicated, although using something like myfitnesspal (or calorieking, dailyplate, fatscecret, etc) makes it easier to accomplish.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs View Post
You can eat low carb while counting your calories. That's been the best solution for me.
I understand for a lot of people that feels overly complicated, although using something like myfitnesspal (or calorieking, dailyplate, fatscecret, etc) makes it easier to accomplish.
I did start myfitnesspal, If you don't mind, can you post what you eat in a typical day.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #10  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I love calorie counting. I can eat whatever I want and maintain my weight loss.

Typically I eat a lowish carb diet, as it helps me with my fitness goals. However it's really nice to know that NOTHING is off limits as long as it fits in my calories for the day.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

Sure, I can tell you what I had today.

Breakfast:
omelette made with 3 eggs, mushrooms, and 1 oz sharp cheese
370 cals, 3g carbs (this is with the fiber subtracted from the total carbs for all of these bty)

Lunch:
large low carb tortilla, lean ground beef, mixed salad veggies, and tzatziki sauce (kind of a home made gyro)
400 cals, 9g carbs

Dinner:
chicken salad with light mayo, dill, some more mixed veggies tossed in, and on the side roasted cauliflower with 1 oz parm cheese on top (my fav)
400 cals, 5g carbs

Snacks:
1 oz dry roasted soy peas
130 cals, 8g carbs

Frozen yogurt (just made with full fat greek yogurt and sugar free syrup)
170 cals, 5g carbs

total for the day: 1470 cals, 30g of carbs

I batch cook on the weekends, so I just assemble meals during the week. Really makes planning easy for me.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 185/140/115

Height: 5'0 TALL

If you just started with calorie counting, I would suggest not to start at 1,200 calories. I heard MFP starts everyone on 1.2k cal (default) regardless of weight. Looking at your sig, I think perhaps 1.2k is a bit low for you.
Nayshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #13  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

My best advice??
LoseIT and My Fitness Pal are GREAT tools, but they are practically worthless if you dont WEIGH your food before you eat it.
invest in a 20 dollar digital food scale

That said, since you ARE just starting out, you MIGHT be able to get away with guesstimating portion sizes... at first....
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #14  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I do not exercise regularly. That's a fact I'm not necessarily proud of, but it's shown me that most weight loss comes from diet, and not exercise.

Some things that work for me, and may or may not for you:

Tracking your food absolutely helps me, even though I know the calorie count of everything I eat at this point. There's something mentally powerful about writing it down.

Don't get stuck on exactly 1200. I shoot for around 1200, and have since I started, but vary anywhere between that and 1500. The right amount of calories for you is the amount you will stick to eating while losing weight for the long term. If you find you can't stick to 1200, you might have to raise it.

Don't forbid yourself from eating anything, but control the amount of it you eat. Want ice cream? Don't eat a half gallon, have a 150 calorie bar or cone.

Weight loss is not linear. It's very rarely exactly x amount every week. It's more like 2 or 3 one week and nothing for a week or two. Expect to see weird things on the scale even while sticking on plan. Don't get discouraged.

If you go off plan, it's not the end of the world and you're not a bad person. Just start right back on plan and keep going.

You might be surprised where you'll be a year from now.

Last edited by Vex; 01-08-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #15  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 View Post
Yup. And you might have to experiment a bit to find the amount of calories that's right for you. Lots of people do great on 1200 calories per day. I am not those people. I am now at 1600-1700 calories, which works out to be my BMR and also my eventual maintenance calories. I'm also training for a half marathon (and then a full marathon later in the year), and I do allow myself more calories on long run days. Not a ton, but an extra snack or two.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote