Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #1  
MaryKay

S/C/G: 230/221/175

Height: 5'11

Default Bored eating

Hello I'm new to this site. A couple of years ago I lost about 60 pounds. Now I've gained it all back plus some I'm sick of my clothes not fitting, and getting winded walking up stairs. Recently, someone told me I's be very pretty if I lost some weight...talk about kicking a person when they're down right?! My boyfriend is super supportive and joined a gym with me, but he's the kind of person that can eat anything and everything and not gain anything, where as I look at a salad and gain 10 pounds.

I recently got a new job. It's pretty boring and all I do is sit all day. I find myself eating even though I'm not hungry just because I'm so bored. It's the same thing when I'm at home, I eat because I'm bored, not because I'm actually hungry. Does anyone else have this problem? Suggestions? Supportive words? Thanks!
MaryKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #2  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

A lot of people recommend keeping a water bottle handy just so that you have something to reach for and put to your mouth that isn't junk. If you take a drink instead of snarfing something filled with calories, you save a bunch over a period of time.

At work I imagine that you don't have a lot of freedom, but at home you could try to work in some exercise or look into a hobby that requires sufficient concentration and use of your hands that food won't be a distraction. When I'm drawing, the last thing I want is greasy fingerprints and crumbs on my sketchpad, so I put away the chips.

In any case, best of luck to you! If you've already lost a substantial amount of weight, you know that it CAN be done as long as you put your mind to it.
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I sit all day at work, too. There is nothing to eat except what I bring for myself, so I am careful to only bring healthy food to work.

Yes, I have the same problem, in general. Not that I am totally successful, but I think what people on here say is that you have to be totally committed to your lifestyle change. I try to think about what my stomach feels like as far as hunger goes, and if I am not hungry, don't eat, but you know how that goes.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330 / 320 / 175

The cure I have found worked for boredom eating was keeping Crystal Light popsicles and slushies around. They satisfy the craving but are still good for you.
Crazy Newfie Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

Something that really helped me break the habit was writing down every bite I put into my mouth and then posting it on my daily check-in thread here. Also, I still take things such as fresh fruits and veggies to keep at my desk, although now that I have broken the habit of constant eating, I often do not even eat them.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Keeping water or tea handy really helps me. I was/am a big boredom eater, but I've really turned into a "boredom drinker" instead.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #7  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
Keeping water or tea handy really helps me. I was/am a big boredom eater, but I've really turned into a "boredom drinker" instead.
Ooh, I like the idea of a "boredom drinker"! I'll have to strive towards this... so much better than being a boredom eater!!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #8  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and Good luck on your journey!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'8

I have the same problem. I find that the water bottle suggestion is very helpful. I also started knitting and crocheting which helps keep me busy. Also, keeping track of everything I eat in my fitness pal helps keep me accountable and aware of everything that im eating. Good luck!! You can do it!
RachelRawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #10  
MaryKay

S/C/G: 230/221/175

Thanks everyone!
MaryKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #11  
Hero Of Time

S/C/G: 155lbs/143/115

Height: 5'2

Yeah I would just make sure to bring healthy things with me to work, and i'm a big "boredom drinker" I have all my different flavors of hot tea that i can choose from, and I sweeten them with splenda. So whenever I get the urge to go in the kitchen to snack because i have nothing better to do, I instead to pick out my tea and make it instead. I'm really bad at snacking in the middle of the night (of course, when all I will be doing all night is laying in bed and not burning calories.) and this has helped me tons.

For work though, instead, you could have your water bottle and then buy a bunch of different kinds of mio flavor so you have something to 'pick' flavors from. Having a variety is the biggest thing for me. Somehow it tricks me into thinking I'm getting a treat rather than replacing junk food. Which i guess it is a nice little treat.
farore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 157/157/120

Height: 5'0"

I tend to binge during my son's naptime. I'm not really bored since that's my one real break during the day and I always have stuff to do, but I know that if I sit on the couch with my laptop I will eat. Sitting for long periods of time is a trigger for me. Unfortunately it is frowned upon to take a walk around your neighborhood while your child is home sleeping.

At my old job it was a pretty 50/50 split between field work and sitting at a desk. During days I was in the office all day, that urge to snack would hit and I would make myself get up and do a lap around the office. Or go walk up and down a couple flights of stairs. If either of those are a possibility for you, see if that helps make you forget about the urge to eat for a bit.
emurph is offline   Reply With Quote