Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Trying to Hang in There

I am going into Week 5 of my lifestyle change, which includes a focus on healthy cooking, portion control, limiting sweets, and working out at a gym.

The newness of everything has worn off and I am getting sick of it. I had some trouble around Thanksgiving with my diet (which is expected, I know) and I didn't lose weight this week. Before I was seeing progress each week and it was a strong motivator for me. Now I just wish it was over.

Now I'm feeling like, wow, this will NEVER be over. I will NEVER be able to just eat healthy food freely because my portions always sneak up and I overeat until I feel sick.

Yesterday I went to a party and I did a good job. I chose the vegetarian chili instead of meat because I knew I was going to want a big piece of cake. I also stayed away from the unhealthy appetizers and stuck to fruit. Unfortunately, I ended up blowing my week by drinking quite a bit. I use PointsPlus, and I used up all my weekly bonus points so now I have to go the rest of the week with no extra each day. This is going to be hard, if not impossible, since it means eating around 1100 calories a day (give or take). After scrapping last week, I am bummed out that I have to be so strict this week to lose. I am worried I will have another bad week like last week.

I don't know. I guess I am just looking for some encouragement.
Ferny1730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #2  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

First of all, HUGS! I know how frustrating it is when there's no loss on the scale. I'm experiencing the same thing right now and it stinks!

Your right though, it will never be over. If you want to get and KEEP the weight off, you truly need to make this a lifestyle change. You'll need to continue making mostly healthy choices and watching your portions and limiting sweets.

The biggest thing I've learned (and am still learning) is that the most important thing is jumping right back on the bandwagon. A bad day, even a bad week is just a drop in the bucket if you can get back to healthy eating.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #3  
Warrior Princess

You're close to goal, those last 10-15p are a pain in the ***. Much harder to lose when you have less to lose. It has taken me 8 months to lose approx 11 pounds. You'll get there but if you give up you won't. Keep on keeping on.

Wearing an ipod with good music is crucial for me to get through working out. I don't follow any diet plans they make me batty. I just eat everything using my best judgment and in moderation. I don't drink calories either.

Good luck.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

I know what you mean about just being tired of the new lifestyle. It's tough! And the old habits were (and still are) so easy.

I'm currently sitting here with a crazy snack craving, and the only thing keeping me sane is the fact that I've already posted on this site (in a different thread) that I'm done eating for the night. But, secretly, I want to get up and snack on something - anything - simply because I can.

As I write this, I remind myself of my goals, why I'm doing this in the first place. Not only do I want to lose weight, but I feel better when I'm not as heavy. I want to prove to myself that I'm capable of achieving this weight loss success. It takes commitment, determination, and action. I've been talking about what I "want" to achieve. Tonight, I commit myself to action.

I'm NOT going to snack tonight because tomorrow morning I AM working out. I'm also sticking to my allotted 1400 calories tomorrow.

*sigh* I'll try to sleep off this stupid craving, lol. G'night!
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #5  

Thanks for the support. My highest weight was 183 and it took me so long to lose and feel good about my body again. I usually yo-yo between the winter and summer by about 15 pounds. I lost 30 pounds at one point, and it was so hard I don't ever want to do it again.

I know I am only 5 weeks in, but it seems endless. I give respect to those to have a lot to lose, because the endurance of consistently monitoring food intake has been what has ruined diets for me in the past. Usually I do a project, finish it, and move on to a new project.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello and welcome.

Just one comment... 1100 calories is *extremely* low, especially for your height. My doctor has advised me to never go under 1300, and I think I generally stick between 1500-1800. Perhaps you would want to check with your doctor for his/her input.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #7  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

First of all :HUGS: !! I totally get where you're coming from because I'm also a start point-end point, Gantt chart-type person. I think I had a mourning period (yes, that dramatic! I cried, threw tantrums and everything) when I realized that this wasn't going to be a project with an end date but rather a lifetime thing. For me, at least, there's probably never going to be a point where I'm done, "project over" and move on to the next thing. I'm always going to have to be at least somewhat vigilant about diet and exercise.

It's a sad, sad realization but if you're committed and it's something you really want, you stick with what you're doing, you do find acceptance and it becomes a way of living. Nearly 4 years since I started and now to me, it's weird not to count calories. Even on free days like my birthday and Christmas where my calorie count doesn't really matter to me, I still track calories otherwise, it just doesn't "feel" right. It's part of my routine, and I barely notice. Yes, it's cumbersome and annoying and frustrating at first, it's true. Yes, everyone gets to the point where they just "want to be done." But just stick to it.

There's a victory in not gaining that's almost as sweet as losing. And even with gaining, realize that ultimately, it IS just weight and you have the power to lose it. Please don't feel defeated and hang in there. This journey is in large part mental. Forget what's happened yesterday or last week or earlier today or whenever, start afresh from your next opportunity to make a good decision. Whether or not you lost weight last week has nothing to do with your ability to lose weight. You CAN lose weight and get to goal and maintain at goal. Let those thoughts keep you going. Stick with it and hang in there. You can do it!
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #8  
HW:232/SW:165

S/C/G: 215/211/165

Height: 5'6

I've been through your dilemma SO many times, and recently too. Last week was a no-loss week for me and before I would've been upset and given up straight away but this time I didn't. What was different? I don't actually know, except I just carried on and now I've lost another pound.

Weight loss is always going to be a journey whether you have 10lb or a 100lbs to lose; it's frustrating losing a pound a week (i hate it myself, personally) but every pound you lose makes you lighter and closer to your goal than if you hadn't have lost it.

Just think, do you want to forget the diet, put all the weight you've lost back on and have to start your journey all over again? (and possibly be in the same place you are right now) or just carry on and get through it. If you stick to your plan, the weight WILL come off and it should give you the motivation you need. Every time you're tempted to have that piece of food that could ruin it all, just think that the healthier choice will help get that next pound off.

Sorry for the ramble, but best of luck and I hope you stick with it!
kymb92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #9  

Thank you for the encouragement everyone! I am doing a little better today, even though the scale this morning showed a five pound gain from last week. I don't really think I've gained five pounds from one week, but it is discouraging to see the numbers rising instead of falling.

I am trying to focus on non-scale victories to keep me motivated, such as the fact that my pants fit really well right now and that I got a compliment on smaller my (slightly) waistline the other night. I also haven't eaten until I felt sick for a while.

I am also trying to keep in mind that if I keep making this change, the results will come on their own time.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
Hello and welcome.

Just one comment... 1100 calories is *extremely* low, especially for your height. My doctor has advised me to never go under 1300, and I think I generally stick between 1500-1800. Perhaps you would want to check with your doctor for his/her input.

@ Misti-- Weight watchers uses Points instead of calories, so I am eating 29 points a day, which is between 1100 and about 1350. Fruit and vegetables are also free, so I do eat a lot of those.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:336/CW:236/GW:175

Height: 5' 7"

You are not alone. I'm also doing pointsplus and I've only been doing it for a little over a month so I guess we started around the same time. I did terrible through Thanksgiving and not just that day, but three days in a row I went over on my points and two of them I didn't even keep track because I knew I was way over. It looks to me like you've done really well so far. For as little as you have to lose, 10 pounds is a lot. Congratulations! Keep up the good work. You can do it!
mandydawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #12  

Thanks Mandydawn. I guess it's easy to write off successes. I am down from my July weight by ten pounds, and that is nothing to sneeze at. I feel better about my appearance and more confident overall, so that is the most important thing.

That is more important than a number.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #13  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I completely related to the feeling of being tired of it. I've been seriously working at losing weight for 8 months now, 11 months total if you count the 3 months I totally half-a$$ed it. I get very very sick of it. I've had many sets of weeks throughout where I kind of get lax, stall out, eat crap, gain a little bit, then buckle down again.

Lots of trial and error (still!) to try and find a way to do this that doesn't seem like so much work. Of course some weeks seem easy, and some weeks are an incredible struggle. Hang in there!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote