Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #1  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

Default Tools and Apps?

Hi everyone I hope I'm not crashing the party. I found a calorie calculator on an app I loaded(I use a droid tablet) and found out I should have 1603 cals per day ~
My question is do any of you have apps/tools you could recommend me (the lazy way) where you can input the foods and not have to do your own calculating? The last time I followed the counting calories , I burnt out on always having to keep up on it. Or if there is no other way but to do it myself does anyone have any advice to keep someone involved w/o burning out? Maybe that's a tall order. *sigh*
Anyway I admire all of you for taking such great care of yourselves.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I use My Fitness Pal. Its free and you can use it from the computer or my i phone.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #3  

Thanks Toobig. I did ues it before and reverted back to it today. I was just hoping there might be a easy app somewhere. i will keep my eyes opened though. Thanks again; it does do the job though!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I think MFP is about as easy as it gets. What do you not like about it? Maybe we have some tips or tricks we can share.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #5  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I use My Fitness Pal. It's like a hobby now where I log -everything-. I rather enjoy it
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #6  

Juliana~ I guess it's just sometimes you have to wade through lists of foods, for instance if I'm asking the search for the amount of calories in something natural like celery I might get a varied answer and it just sometimes get confusing. I want to calculate everything right or as close as possible for my success. It works for mebut at times I have to scratch my head. I just wondered if there might be a modern app that might be simplistic and accurate. Myfitnesspal does get my calories figured out for now.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Oh, that makes sense. Once you have been using it for a while, your common items will be listed in your "recent" or "frequent" lists, so they are easy to find. Then you only have to search if you have something that's not on your regular rotation. I do get annoyed that the "basic" entries don't come up first in the results though!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

When I first started I used a plain lined journal type book from the dollar store and a calories are king book to log my food. Actually I tracked my calories, fiber, water, and feelings. That worked for over a year then hubby bought me an iphone. The mfp app ade it easier to track on the go and I was on the go alot at that point in time. I'm so use to mfp now that I can't see me changing back to pad and paper but its comforting to know that I still have those journals if I ever need to refer back to them.

I guess what I am trying to say is that different stuff works for different people and what works will change along the way. Next time you are some place where they sell books look at the calorie counting books and see if you like any of them. It maybe that you need to set up your own weight loss journal.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #9  
Restarting AGAIN

S/C/G: 167/114/140/see ticker/105

Height: not quite 5'

I am using lose-it this time around for the barcode scanner.

Lose-It does add back exercise calories which I have never done before, but I have also never trained at the volume I am now, and I have 3 races in the next 90 days so really need to eat back training calories to be able to maintain my training volume. After 1 week, I seem to be losing weight, and have definitely stopped gaining weight, so that does seem to be working for me right now.
Sindaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 119.4kg/117.2kg/100kg

Height: 173cm

I love My Fitness Pal - although I am totally amazed at the calories in certain foods, like lettuce for example.
Bec259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I am a lose-it user. I love it! It took about a month to get use to it, but it works much faster now that I have my own list of food.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

I like Loseit too.
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 162/128/125

Height: 5'4"

I use Spark People.
TzuMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #14  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

OKay I Know I must be a Dinosaur but I don't Write anything down,including charting my weight. make a mental note in my head at the time,what weight is what a ate but don't do a journal.
Do you guys find it that helpful or do you just like to look back?
I do plan what family meals will be for the week but I use very broad menu
Monday Crockpot night,Tuesday Pork, Wednesday Pasta(Italian something) and so on but it's on paper that I throw out every week.
so what's the easiest one for a non-techy person?
Thanks,Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 212/199/135

Height: 5 ft 2.5 in

I have a fitbit that comes with it's own calorie counting system, so this is what I use to track my calories.

It's nice because the fitbit automatically syncs to the calorie counter system. If you log your food into the system it also tracks your fiber, sodium, protein etc. and it then calculates how many calories you have burned and how many calories you took in. It then calculates your deficit for you, and lets you know how many more calories you can eat or how many calories you went over or if you were right on target etc. It allows you to set daily goals for how many steps you want to take etc, as well as monthly goals, or weight goals and then calculates how many calories you should eat a day to achieve your weight goal. I can log all of that from the iphone app for the fitbit or on my laptop. I also have the fibit scale which syncs with the calorie counter system as well; so whenever I weigh it automatically records it for me wirelessly (via wifi) so I also have my weigh-ins tracked as well. It all works together, my workouts, fitness, eating, weigh-ins etc. I think the fitbit is an awesome little tool that has really aided me in losing weight and makes calorie counting easier. (:
The other great thing is if you do not like the program that the fibit comes with for calorie counting you can choose to have it sync with My Fitness Pal, which is another great app that some of the other posters were talking about.
heartinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote