Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/173/125

Height: 5'8"

Question Is IP Athlete Friendly?

Hey IPers. I am IP curious, seems like a great system but I am a little concerned that it will fit into my lifestyle. I am just about to start training for my second Ironman, meaning lots of training and it won't be moderate. I would like to take off about 20 pounds to be at race weight and I am not willing to lessen my training to get there. Do you guys think IP would work for me? I have seen that there is an "athlete protocol" but it also states that working out should be a moderate 45 minutes a day.

Thanks for any advice you have to share!
ella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #2  

I was told today only light exercise. I may have to put off my sprint triathlon again but then I have a lot more than 20 lbs to lose
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

This diet is super low cal and low carb, even with the Athlete's protocol it's going to be tough to fuel your body properly while doing intense training.

The diet IS designed to help you drop pounds while maintaining lean muscle mass, WITHOUT excessive training. It was designed for athletes to use in the off season.

You may be better off using a bodybuilder's type diet for intense training, and then maybe look at IP once you're in your own "off" season.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

From what I understand is that heavy cardio on this program may be unhealthy since IP depletes all glycogen stores and utilizes fat stores for energy.

This is my understanding...During periods of heavy cardio, the body relies mainly on the quick and easy sugar stores for fuel--fat stores are the body's least favorite, most difficult, and slowest way of achieving energy. So during light exercise, it is no biggie, it can draw energy from the fat. But during high demands, if your body doesn't have a sugar source, it goes for your muscle. It can eat up your own muscle, including your heart muscle.

Eating extra protein can help and prevent your body from buring its own muscle for fuel, but you have to be very careful to get enough. One extra packet of IP will likely NOT be close to enough extra protein to train for an ironman.

You might consider a modified PSMF diet with whole foods and a few added carbs. Here is a good site to reference http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the...-loss-handbook Click on the articles link at the top for lots of good info.

Good luck on your weight loss and training

Last edited by serendipityberry; 10-01-2012 at 08:58 PM.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I have never trained (or done) an Ironman, but I have exercised intensely through out my entire IP journey. In fact, my running has improved dramatically. I did (and still do) Crossfit 4x per week, Track work / speed work 1x per week and long run 1x per week. The first week or so I felt like garbage, but after that, I had so much energy and my workouts felt great.

I can only tell you MY personal experience with IP and exercise. I did Phase 1 through training for Ragnar Relay (long distance running event) and for the MS 150 (long distance biking event) and my performance had never been better. Not to mention that the lost pounds didn't hurt either.

I don't know how long your training schedule is and when you need to actually start, but if you want to start IP, I would give yourself 1-2 weeks of P1 before launching into your full blown training program. I also have 4 packets a day instead of 3, as I have one immediately following exercise. If you are doing 2 a days, you may need to go to 5 packets per day.

Also, I will add that it doesn't take very long to lose 20# on IP, so you may be able to get it all done in the early stages of your training before the really long workouts kick in.

Just my $.02 and my experience with IP and exercise.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote