Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #1  

Default Working out while on period.

Okay, ladies, I need to hear your input/opinion/ideas about your routine while you're on your period. I know there are some women out there that can work out normal and just fine while on their period, but let me tell you now, I am just not one of them, unfortunately. I have dysmenorrhea and for those first two days of my period, I am basically disabled.

I have been working out consistently for 16 days now and have lost 4 pounds so far. I am feeling good about how I'm doing, but! I'm going to be on my period next week. I want to know some ideas on how to still burn calories and get a good workout in (at least for those first two difficult days ) I can not do my usual intense workouts for sure. Will a walk suffice? How do you deal with the monthly visitor?

Last edited by mich24; 09-20-2012 at 02:42 AM.
mich24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #2  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Well done on your 4 pounds lost

While TOM I usually do yoga or pilates. It feels like your "dying" while doing it but I promise you, the after benefits are awesome! These days I'm also a big fan of Blogilates. Check it out on youtube!
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #3  
Carrots? Meh...

I've always had horrible periods - heavy flow, really painful and long. My main exercise is walking, which I do at least six times a week for an hour. Sometimes I feel so bad during TOM I skip a day, but usually walking helps to ease the pain.

Painkillers don't help me, but heat does - when I get really bad cramps I use a hot water bottle on my stomach and even sleep with it, or wrap a thick folded up fleece blanket around my midsection.

The worst times are those when I have to work outside in winter during TOM. Keeping my midsection warm helps, so I've been thinking about buying some heating pads to wear in sub zero weather.
Silly Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Personally, this is just ME, but during my cycle, I don't workout at all. All I do is lay around and drink water or do what I absolutely have to do i.e. go to class. Thing is, I don't even get cramps or anything, I just feel icky and don't have motivation to do anything. Idk how people do it either... Thank God my period tends to be pretty short. Usually last 3-4 days and I don't get it on point every month either. I'm blessed.

Don't listen to me though, TOM is just one of those things I absolutely hate!!! I'm sure all women hate it but my hate for it is beyond words!!
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:00 AM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

My periods are heavy and long, but I can't say I've ever let it affect my workouts or anything. Life goes on whether I'm bleeding or not!

So I just use a menstrual cup, backup pad, and proceed with whatever is planned. If I'm sore I'll take some medicine, but my cramps are actually better with good stretching and core work.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

After 16 days of working out you might be surprised to find that your pain is greatly reduced.
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #7  
Carrots? Meh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drixnot View Post
After 16 days of working out you might be surprised to find that your pain is greatly reduced.
Ah, no - that hasn't worked for me. I've been consistently exercising for more then two years and it hasn't done anything for the pain. Better diet has made my periods a little lighter, but they're still as painful as ever.

But yeah, everyone is different, so who knows.
Silly Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #8  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

I don't exercise on the first day but usually unless I'm in a bad way that's it. I have a copper coil so periods are heavier and more painful and the first day I'm useless, I just feel completely drained.

Maybe try something like pilates or just walking for the rest of the time and see how far you can/want to go with it.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Periods that were once unbearable to me are almost non-existent now that I'm on bc. They happen- normally- but I use a diva cup so only really notice them twice a day (when I clean the cup) for about 4-5 days, and those days I can function perfectly normally. I highly recommend both BC (which helps many women regulate hormones) and the diva cup.

Last edited by kelly315; 09-20-2012 at 08:20 AM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 227/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9''

Working out makes my cramps go away. It is REALLY hard to get myself in the gym but once I am there it's good. High intensity cardio is the best...maybe it just takes my mind off of them...
angie7896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I just go thru with them I think being emotional and missing a workout would be bad lol
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Your body needs rest days every week anyway, so I just take off the first two days of my period and call it that week's rest. Sometimes I take a walk, but it just depends how I feel.

Working out consistently doesn't mean that you have to work out every single day. 4-5 times a week is perfectly fine for the average person; in fact the average person who tries to work out every single day is probably flirting with the potential for burn-out.

Well done on the four pounds.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #13  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
Your body needs rest days every week anyway, so I just take off the first two days of my period and call it that week's rest. Sometimes I take a walk, but it just depends how I feel.

Working out consistently doesn't mean that you have to work out every single day. 4-5 times a week is perfectly fine for the average person; in fact the average person who tries to work out every single day is probably flirting with the potential for burn-out.

Well done on the four pounds.
This! Rest those days, go on a mild walk if you want be stay a little active.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #14  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i also found that cardio has helped with my aches and cramps...plus i guess i kinda like to push my body and see what it can do...but i typically workout during TOM
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #15  

I vote to take a rest day or 2 around that time if you need to, BUT... if you want to try, then do what you can. If it is a walk then fine, but if you can go for a harder workout than that, then try it.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote