Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #1  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

Default the binge, the guilt, and the doing it again?

okay, so dear, darling chickies- I have been missing in action for a little bit, dealing with this new, "step" in my healthy living?

it actually sort of feels like old dog, same tricks, but they just keep getting "better" (should actually be read as worse).

anyways, i lost a whack load of weight. living alone, in a very set routine.

now, i moved home (i am in my mid-twenties) - I left a very very good job, 5 years worth of friends, and my beloved tiny little apartment where healthy things manifested, back home to a larger city, 450 kms away from my "happy place".

while i know the forthcoming imminent suggestion that i move out again, unfortunately at this point, it is not financially realistic as renting here (in toronto) is exceptionally expensive and my mother (dear darling mother) wants me to buy, fine. but this means i need to get a job, and save up some funding. Before I buy my own place, I would like to attend teacher training for the type of yoga that i do (bikram) - which ends up costing around 15,000 and 10 weeks in LA (which means I would rather be paying as little bills as possible) my personal forecast is that I will be living in this particular house for the next year or so.

having moved home, it seems as though ALL of my trigger foods are around. they are left out on the counters, and my mother (who lives with her common law ) leave these trigger foods out on the counter. these aren't unhealthy foods- these are very healthy foods.

so this is what happens.

i make myself a "Feeding plan" for the day- i will be good until 5 or 6 pm or whenever dinner rolls around and 1 of 2 things will happen. either i will eat my dinner, then they will make something delicious which i will have "just a bite of" and BAM full blown binge. or 2, something will get brought home for dinner that involves WHEAT (MY KRYPTONITE) i will have a decent portion and then BAM full blown binge.

i feel like this is becoming a cycle? I mean, my workouts haven't stopped, but I have gained 10 lbs, and It's like i am maintaining this 10 lb gain.

Has anybody been in a position such as this? How do you deal with it?

Are there any suggestions? Personal experiences?

I feel as though this house, is where my negative food issues manifest, it's like living in a petrie bowl of disease :S
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #2  
Sweet girl in L.A.

S/C/G: 242/212/180

Height: 5'2"

I can't offer any advice but I feel your pain. I like that comparison...wheat is my kryptonite too. (along with sugar) I may steel that. LOL Congrats on your huge weight loss. Oh if I could say I am no longer overweight. One day I will get there. Good luck!
swtgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4

You definitely seem to have it pegged as to what exactly your triggers are, so that right there is super helpful! If you have had your fill for the day, maybe you can get out of the house and go for a walk, go see a movie, practice yoga, or call a friend? Get out of the house and DON'T take your wallet with you, so that even if you wanted to you couldn't go and buy food to binge on. Works like a charm.

I think you are correct; you've developed a habit, and the only way to break a habit is to replace it with a new one. It might be difficult at first, but just removing yourself from the situation during the time that you normally binge could be all you need to do.

Also, if you know wheat is an issue, just avoid it. Surely not all of the options with dinner that night include wheat, so just don't have any of it for a while... just until you break the habit.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

I know what you mean... When I lived with my parents everything went right until tea time, when mom would start displaying all the wheat and sugar you can think of! And from than moment on, everthing was eat eat eat.
If I could go back to that time of my life, I would just leave the house before tea time and I would come back when it was over, but back then it never occurred to me I could do that. I guess I craved that food and stayed home to eat it.
If I were you, I would find something that would keep me away from the place where your kryptonite makes its appearance. How about going for a walk right then, or visiting somebody, or going to the gym precisely at that time? Or locking yourself in your room to study! Find something to do that keeps you away from it, at least until your regain your self-control.
Tell us how you are doing!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #5  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

thank you very much for your advice, every little word and syllable is appreciated, it's almost having solace in somebody understanding the issue?

it's funny- how thick the skull sometimes is.

my family, is little. my mother, stands at about 5'5 or 5'6 and weighs in at a grand spanking total of about 120-130 lbs. and it seems as though every day is a reason to celebrate something in this house. funny how thick the skull can be, that I as a human, as a being and as a person totally understand that there is nothing to celebrate, and the food will still be here in the morning (and if it isn't ...all the better) but it's like the good old see-food-diet. i SEES IT, I EATS IT. ha.

swtgila thank you for your kind words of encouragement. i am unfortunately back in the overweight category. all due to this little, situation. too be fixed SOON hopefully!

JOSSFit holy smoke show!! i love your body first of all!! congrats!! it's funny when you know all the coping mechanisms, and choose not to go for them right? good old thick skull.

inglesita64 funny isn't it? i wonder, do the parents do it to taunt us? is it a way to show love and affection? or a method by which to build a thick skill and determination? HMMMMMM haha
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #6  
You're my fantasy.

I am exactly where you were when you started - you've lost 100 pounds! How incredible is that? ok, it's pretty incredible!

So. You must have learned a lot along the way, and now that you're in a different situation you're going to have to use what you've learned, use what got you where you are today.

You can definitely do it - you've already proven it. Don't let a temporary situation undermine your progress and your goals.

Great ideas here, walking, yoga, movies - whatever it takes. Your resolve will get stronger as you face these triggers.

Good luck! Let us know how it's going.

Last edited by stillmeadow; 05-21-2012 at 06:58 PM.
stillmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimkovs View Post
...JOSSFit holy smoke show!! i love your body first of all!! congrats!! it's funny when you know all the coping mechanisms, and choose not to go for them right? good old thick skull.
LOL you're too cute, thank you so much! I know EXACTLY what you mean... I'll just say yesterday was quite an off day for me. I have ONE binge trigger, and it's boredom - hit me hard yesterday too!

The important thing is that I didn't turn it into 2, 3 or 30 days... today I'm right back in the gym, right back to my healthy meals, and in a few days time or a week it will be no harm done.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote