General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #1  

Default Volumetrics

Is anyone doing Volumetrics? I searched this forum and the threads are old.

I am doing Weight Watchers Simply Filling Technique, but bought the new Volumetrics book that came out this month. I also have all the Volumetrics books and might switch back to Volumetrics.

Is anyone here interested in a Volumetrics thread?
winkingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #2  

Hey there, I just learned about Volumetrics. Are you still doing a combo of WW and Volumetrics? I was thinking about buying the book.
ho11ybr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #3  

Long ago... in a message board far away, I believe I heard people talk about how great this was. I, didn't listen. I am going to say... truth is, I didn't quite get it. Then 5 years later... I went to a diet program that used this (and their own food) and I lost weight hand over foot. Fast, sustained, in 6-8 months I made goal. I am now a believer. My entire life I struggled with never making goal... over years... and then I go high volume low calorie and it falls off me.

I used the HMR plan food but that can be expensive. But I also eat:
(1) Soup (which I never ate before)
(2) low calorie popcorn
(3) Bag of veggies that I combine with low calorie entrees.
(4) Egg Beaters
(4) Potatoes in moderation but combined with other food.
(5) Oatmeal (which I never ate before)

My only goal is high volume... low calorie. I have been maintaining for a few months. Normally once I stop dieting -- I gain like 10 lbs the first week of eating normal. This time... 2 months and I am exactly what I was when I stopped dieting.

Last edited by AnnRue; 10-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have the book and try to follow the principles. The "Bag 'o Veggies" speaks to me! I am on my third 5.5 lb bag of stir-fry veggies. I add an extra cup or so of these vegetables to anything I can. There is something about eating a big pile of food that is very satisfying.

Note: I buy my 5.5 lb bag of veggies at Costco. They are labeled "stir-Fry", and have no added sauce, or oil. There are other bags of veggies in the same freezer that have different high calorie sauces, so avoid those. I just grab a handful and add to my soup, stew or even to some of my Lean Cuisine meals.

TMI, but I can kind of gauge how well I am staying on plan by how much I use the bathroom. I drink a lot of water. Add to that lots of food high in water and you get lots of bathroom breaks.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've never followed the Volumetrics plan as layed out in the book, but I use the strategies I learned int he book, virtually every day. I always try to "bulk up" the volume without adding calories (I tend to think of it as calorie dilution - more food overall and fewer calories per bite).

I love that the Volumetrics principles can be adapted to virtually all food plans, so no matter what food plan you're following, you can probably also use Volumetrics strategies. This is great for me, because I have Dieter's ADD and get bored easily, so whenever I get bored, I tend to switch food plans (though Volumetrics strategies and some form of counting strategy tends to be entwined there somewhere).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
TMI, but I can kind of gauge how well I am staying on plan by how much I use the bathroom. I drink a lot of water. Add to that lots of food high in water and you get lots of bathroom breaks.
Great point. When I started on my diet plan my skin cleared up amazingly... and now, I notice that if I am not eating enough water / volume... my dry skin returns and yes... my bathroom breaks go up the more volume I have.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

This time of the year through winter is a great time for volumetrics for me because I love soups, stirfrys and salads.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
This time of the year through winter is a great time for volumetrics for me because I love soups, stirfrys and salads.

There's really not a bad time of year for volumentrics (though many people do experience more hunger in the fall and winter).

I do tend to use some tricks in the summer that I don't in winter, and vice versa.

For example, in the summer I tend to make salads bigger and lower calorie by adding more lettuce and other low-calorie veggies and by using a lower calorie or diluted salad dressing. I don't like most reduced-calorie salad dressings, so I either dilute a full-fat dressing with rice wine vinegar (or even water) or I make my own dressing with a rice wine vinegar base (I find that rice wine vinegar or rice vinegar tends to be milder than other vinegars and I can use far less oil, or even no oil at all and still make a very tasty dressing. Champagne vinegar and other mild vinegars also work as well, or you can even add a bit of water and sweetener to a stronger vinegar to dilute it. Rice wine vinegar though works the best in my opinion, because it's naturally mild and sweet and almost makes a great dressing on it's own (just a few spices and instant, yummy, almost no-cal dressing).

Another volumetrics strategy for summer is using steamed cauliflower (cut in bite size pieces) in place of some or all of the potato in potato salad, and using sour cream (fat-free, light or even regular will reduce the calories compared to whole mayo) for part of the mayonaise, and using Hellman's canola or olive oil mayo for some or all of the mayonaise. (Hellman's canola and olive oil mayonaisses are about half the calories of reguluar mayo, but don't taste as fake as most light mayos. I think the canola has 40 calories per tablespoon and the olive oil version has 45 or 50 calories, compared to 100 calories for regular Hellman's mayo. I'm extremely picky about mayo, and the Hellman's canola mayo is the only light mayo I consider worth buying. The olive oil mayo isn't bad either, but the canola is better in my opinion.

Another trick for summer is making frozen berry lemonades and margaritas. I throw a cup of frozen berries (usually strawberrries, but blackberries are awesome too) into a blender with diet lemonade (or other sugar free drink, made from powered drink mix. I especially like Walmart/Target's lime margarita drink mixes because they're about half the price of Crystal Light's margarita flavor and just as good), and sometimes a splash of Diet Sprite or Mountain Dew (or the generic equivalent) for a bit of fizz, and maybe an extra ice cube or two.

Adding ice to smoothies also adds no-cal volume.

The volumetrics strategies are similar to (and very compatible with) budgeting strategies. The strategies I use to stretch the food budget are often the same (or at least similar) to those I use to stretch the food volume.

For example I use dry tvp (textured vegetable protein - looks like grapenuts cereal, but is made of soy - you reconstitute with water). I brown it with cheap, fattier ground beef, along with onions, celery, and maybe bell pepper or mushroom and then add hot broth or water to make a ground beef mixture that has a calorie and fat content more similar to the more expensive 95% lean beef or turkey (because the tvp is virtually fat free). I save calories, bulk up the volume, and save money.

I freeze the ground beef mixture in ziploc bags (smooshing the bag every 30 minutes or so so it freezes in crumbles that I can then use in any recipe calling for browned ground beef - tacos, spaghetti, sloppy joes, casseroles...).

I'll stir cooked veggies into pasta (cold or hot, summer or winter) to make bigger portions. French style green beans, spinache, shredded cabbage, thinly sliced onion... all sorts of veggies can bulk up the pasta hot or cold.

I'll stir cooked beans or lentils into dishes you might not expect them (such as with the ground beef/tvp mixture in things like sloppy joes).

Another good "mix in" to sloppy joes or shredded/pulled chicken or pork barbecue is shredded cabbage (or bagged coleslaw mix). The cabbage cooks down into the bbq sauce.

When our budget was crazy tight, I'd make "pulled pork" sandwhiches that contained more cabbage and onion than pork.

Budget stretching can go hand-in-hand with volume-stretching, as long as you're careful to pick inexpensive low-cal stretchers such as cabbage, iceberg lettuce, onion, water, ice, broth, beans...

However some budget-stretchers (like potatoes) can actually increase the calories of a dish, so you have ot make sure you're replacing something of higher calorie.

I've been craving shepherd's pie, so I'm going to use several strategies to save money and calories (and increase bulk). I'll use my tvp/ground beef mixture and frozen mixed veggies and a can of diced tomatoes with chiles in the filling, and I'll make mashed cauliflower (with just a little bit of mashed potato flakes to improve the texture) for the topping.

My normal recipe calls for grated mild cheddar on the top. I'll use an extra sharp cheddar instead (or another strongly flavored cheese) and will use less (the stronger the cheese, the less I can use. I'd much rather use a 1/4 cup of strong, good cheese than a pound of fat-free cheese substitute).

It's fun to combine dollar-stretching with volume-stretching.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Kaplods - Thanks for sharing how you do volumetrics. I don't think I've seen textured vegetable protein. Where do I find it? Is it a soy base found in the produce section of the store?
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Kaplods - Thanks for sharing how you do volumetrics. I don't think I've seen textured vegetable protein. Where do I find it? Is it a soy base found in the produce section of the store?

It is soy based, but you probqably won't find it in the produce section, you'll usually find it with the flours and grains or in the health food aisle.

The brand you'll usually find in grocery stores is Bob's Red Mill and it will be with the other Bob's Red Mill products either in the health food section, or the grain/flour section. Often Bob's Red Mill will actually have a little display area where all their products are lined up together.

Super Walmart and Target stores often carry it, and most health food stores sell it. Health food stores often sell it in bulk bins (which is usually the cheapest way to get it).

Bulk food stores and baking supply stores also sometimes carry it.

It comes in various shapes and flavors. The unflavored granules are what I usually use (they look like beige gravel or grapenuts cereal). I've also used the flakes which are sort of flattened version of the gravel.

There are also "beef" and "chicken" flavored nuggets that sort of look like dog kibble, and there are also bigger pieces that are shaped sort of like chicken fingers.

I've tried the nuggets, but I don't care for them. When they're reconstituted they have a sort of spongey, tough texture. The flakes and granules are almost indistinguishable from the meat if you brown it with ground beef.

I don't mind using the tvp as a ground beef substitute (just adding hot water and flavorings), but hubby didn't like the tvp on it's own, in the least - so I started adding the tvp in small quantities to ground beef to "stretch" the ground beef. I kept adding more and more tvp until hubby noticed/complained. I now can use about 1 - 2 cups of dry tvp to 1 lb of ground beef (2 cups of dry tvp is equivalent to about 2 pounds of ground beef), depending on the recipe (the more seasonings in the mix, the more tvp I can use before hubby complains that it tastes funny - so I can use more tvp for tacos and chili than for milder dishes).

I'll also use other meats besides ground beef (ground pork, sausage, chorizo). When I brown it with chorizo (because chorizo is so fatty and so spicy) I use at least 2 cups of tvp per pound of chorizo, because the chorizo's flavor is strong enough to mask the soy flavor (for hubby). Also, you really want to use a lot more tvp, because chorizo is so fatty it takes a lot more tvp to make it a reasonably healthy protein.

I actually almost never use chorizo except with tvp, because on it's own it's so fatty it really has to be diluted (volumetricized).

Last edited by kaplods; 10-15-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

I'd never heard of volumetrics, but now I'm interested. It sounds like principles that I've come by naturally myself, actually.

Does anyone have any recommended free resources, websites or e-books? Or else, any books I should look up in the library?
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #12  

I took a look at the books on Amazon and it looks like something I could follow. I think I'll buy one of them and read it on my Kindle.
Malva Nettles is offline   Reply With Quote