Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #1  
Arianna

S/C/G: 126/122/105

Height: 4'9"

Question help me stop being so addicted to chocolate!!!

First of all, please don't make comments on my weight. i am very tired of trying to prove to people that i DO NOT have an eating disorder.

Okay, so as a high schooler i am exhausted all the time, even if i get enough sleep and over the years i have become addicted to chocolate. i don't even like milk chocolate very much, and it's not that i eat unhealthy kinds of chocolate, but i eat way too much of it. i can't find anything else (even coffee) that gives me the same sensation as chocolate. I also have anxiety issues and chocolate has chemicals that calm that part of the brain, so right now especially i am relying on it to get through the day. (i know that sounds awful, but i am trying to eat less now and i am seriously suffering "withdrawal" symptoms!

do any of you guys have any ideas on how i can get over this? or other foods that will give me enough energy and calm me down?

please don't recommend pills, i don't want to take any!!!

Thanks
olliepop96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #2  
It's OK to be hungry

S/C/G: 297/T/170

Height: 5'3"

How much chocolate are you eating that you feel it's a problem?
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #3  
Arianna

it depends. on days when i'm really tired and stressed i can eat at least a whole bar. (it's embarrassing)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #4  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

First of all breathe and hugs!!!!

Okay, I can relate with the anxiety part as I am guess alot of ppl on these boards will be able to. For me chocolate and sugar calms me but never has a lasting effect as I feel lousy and crappy after...

Have you tried exercising? Also when you have been eating alot of a certain food, for some ppl cold turkey works and for others it does not. After you tried limiting it and adding fruit?

As Roxmysox asked, how much are you eating?
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/175/140

Height: 5'3

I totally understand...at my heaviest i was eating 3 to 4 full size chocolate candy bars a day....its my stress food....when I really started to think as food as fuel not as medication....that I had the "something clicked" moment and didn't really need them as much...I still love a snickers bar once a month or so...but it is now a true treat instead of its own separate food group!! Good luck!!
jajomo0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #6  
Chronic Pain Fighter

Apart from adjusting your nutrition and fitness, have you tried talking to somebody, alot of times addressing what drives the anxiety can be helpful in the long run, just a suggestion...
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

I have a horrible craving for chocolate! I remember days where I couldn't leave Target without buying some type of chocolate! Now I have some light chocolate soymilk and it works well but I had to cut sweets from my diet for a while. I feel like after your body "forgets" about some foods for a while and then when you have something sweet, you'll feel very satisfied, at least that's what works for me now. You should try it!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #8  
Arianna

whether i'm exercising or not, my brain doesn't shut off, the stuff in chocolate relaxes me more than anything else right now (i'm going through a lot of hard stuff right now, so it will get better eventually, but the anxiety stays). the thing is, chocolate makes me feel so much better i don't feel yucky after eating it, i just feel guilty. basically dark chocolate is the junkiest food i eat, and if i could find some way to get the energy from something else i would probably lose like ten pounds right away
Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #9  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

When you say no pills, do you mean no pharmaceuticals or are you open to vitamins/herbs? I've heard good things about Valerian Root (I think that it comes in drops too). Another one that is supposed to help with anxiety is GABA. I'd suggest doing some research on natural anti anxiety treatments. Best of luck to you.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #10  
Arianna

and to answer the other questions, i am working on my anxiety disorders, but they will never really go away and i've tried quitting cold turkey and i feel dead. like today i fell asleep during math i was so exhausted!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #11  
Chronic Pain Fighter

Have you tried just eating a few pieces?

Also what is your current diet like? I mean are you getting enough nutrition that will provide your body with energy?

I am a little concerned with " if i could find some way to get the energy from something else i would probably lose like ten pounds right away"

There's not quick fix, like you said you are going through alot right now, take it slow, you are already under alot of stress..
Old 03-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #12  
Arianna

i'm not concerned with a quick fix, don't worry, and i as i am still pretty young i have no rush. i am a little on the heavier side but i am not at risk of developing any health problems at the moment, mostly it's my eating habits that i want to change now. since i am under a lot of stress right now i am more understanding and i let myself eat it (midterms are this week). the thing is, i eat pretty healthy, i just eat a little too much but i'm working on it. for example, for breakfast i eat some eggs or turkey bacon and a fruit. for lunch i eat a salad or veggies, and for dinner i have chicken or meat with veggies. in between i eat fruit. i am getting enough nutrients, just for some reason i am just SO addicted to chocolate. and i also never get tired of it so it's frustrating. it is basically the only thing stopping me from losing the weight and since i got addicted (around ninth grade because of all the extra stress and work) i have gone from 110 pounds to 125 pounds. and its not because i eat a lot occasionally but because i eat it regularly so the extra 200-400 calories a day add up. you know?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #13  
Arianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
When you say no pills, do you mean no pharmaceuticals or are you open to vitamins/herbs? I've heard good things about Valerian Root (I think that it comes in drops too). Another one that is supposed to help with anxiety is GABA. I'd suggest doing some research on natural anti anxiety treatments. Best of luck to you.
those are some good suggestions, however i am only 16 and i don't really feel comfortable taking things like that yet. i am taking a remedy for my anxiety though, but so far it isn't helping
Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #14  
Chronic Pain Fighter

I am curious when you eat the chocolate I know you stated that it is calming, but is it distracting your from your stress/anxiety, hope this makes sense...

I mean does it feel like you are stress eating to avoid whatever is going on?

Have you tried utilizing other distraction skills when you are stressed?
I noticed you stated you have no energy and feel asleep during class, are you getting enough of sleep or are you able to sleep at night? I know anxiety can keep a person up for long periods of time esp at night
Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #15  
Arianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiresdestiny View Post
I am curious when you eat the chocolate I know you stated that it is calming, but is it distracting your from your stress/anxiety, hope this makes sense...

I mean does it feel like you are stress eating to avoid whatever is going on?

Have you tried utilizing other distraction skills when you are stressed?
I noticed you stated you have no energy and feel asleep during class, are you getting enough of sleep or are you able to sleep at night? I know anxiety can keep a person up for long periods of time esp at night
i don't really stress eat to avoid anything, i know food isn't going to solve my problems on it's own. i don't get as much sleep as i should, but as you know, teenagers NEVER get enough sleep. like even if i get 10 hours of sleep i'm still completely exhausted. i just can't get the same energy from any food other than chocolate and it kinda sucks