Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/110

Height: 5'5"

Default What's so bad about salt?

My title says it all... I keep reading about people taking salt out of their diet and I don't understand why it's so bad. While I eat mostly whole foods and home cooked meals, I always add salt (and like it a lot!). Will this hinder my weight loss?
Oxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #2  

Table salt or sodium chloride is an inorganic sodium compound formed by the union of sodium and chloride. Sodium chloride causes the body to retain fluid trying to shield the cells from this protoplasmic poison in an effort to keep it out of the cells. High salt and high fat both seriously impair the immune system. Salt also clogs up the blood stream.

I'm not going to lie, i googled that
linnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I haven't seen any credible studies tying salt intake to immune system issues. Did you find any? I would really be interested in seeing the evidence because immune system issues are a big concern in my house.

If your blood pressure is healthy the biggest issue with salt might just be water retention. Salty foods can make us retain water and keep our weight up. I often feel really puffy when I've had too much salt and nothing seems to fit right. I do use salt all the time, just not too much.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #4  

Nothing in my opinion unless you want to stay away from water retention (like before an event). Its one of my low cal "vices" like soy sauce. In a couple months I will go light on it so I can fit into a dress lol.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #5  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Oy, I don't mean to be unpleasant, linnyc, but... what you Googled just isn't grounded in much objectivity or facts. I mean, the chemical description is right, but calling it a poison is a bit much. Anything can be toxic; the dose makes the poison.

Salt does cause the body to retain more water - that's just a biological reality. Some people seem to be more sensitive than others, or at least notice the change more. It can be relevant if you have blood pressure concerns, as it does raise blood pressure. (It is actually used as a treatment for low blood pressure!) In moderation and balance, it's healthy. When you add salt to home-cooked meals, the overall sodium is probably still quite a bit less than manufactured food 'product.' But you can always reduce salt if you want to see a temporary drop in water weight.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

My husband stays away from salty things as he's had blood pressure concerns in the past.

I... don't have those concerns for me. Salt is one of those things I don't pay attention to. That's not to say I go salt crazy, but I pay attention to so many other things, salt just isn't high on my priority list.

The only thing it does to hinder weight loss is that salt can sometimes raise water retention in the body. If I have a rather salty weekend, it means I sometimes feel "puffy" for a day or two.

Last edited by Lovely; 03-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata View Post
Salt does cause the body to retain more water - that's just a biological reality. Some people seem to be more sensitive than others, or at least notice the change more. It can be relevant if you have blood pressure concerns, as it does raise blood pressure. (It is actually used as a treatment for low blood pressure!) In moderation and balance, it's healthy. When you add salt to home-cooked meals, the overall sodium is probably still quite a bit less than manufactured food 'product.' But you can always reduce salt if you want to see a temporary drop in water weight.
Absolutely. I don't worry too much about salting my unprocessed, home cooked meals. It's the sodium levels (used as a preservative) in the processed foods that makes me cringe, especially if I was regularly taking in 4000+ mg per day - easily done with processed foods!
My blood pressure is fine, but I tend to feel the bloat if I have something extra salty.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I also add salt according to taste. Salt is only "bad" if you have high blood pressure (or are leaning in that direction), as it causes you to retain more fluid, which causes your blood pressure to go up. If you have low blood pressure, as I do, there's nothing wrong with salting to taste.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

It depends.

Some people are more salt sensitive than others. This is a genetic thing. If you are salt sensitive salt can be a very bad thing. If you are not salt sensitive the safe range is a little more unclear. Most "recommended" levels are given for salt sensitive SEDENTARY people.

On the other hand the body NEEDS some sodium. I get very very concerned when I hear people say they are eliminating all the salt from their diet AND saying "when I get hungry instead of eating I drink a lot of water to fill me up". The combo can kill you. Especially if you exercise. Sweat removes salt from your body and you NEED to replace it. Low electrolytes is far far far far more dangerous than dehydration

Salting homemade fresh food is rarely an issue. Most people will not put on with a saltshaker in a week what a meals worth of processed food holds.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/175/140

Height: 5'3

I have low blood pressure but blow up like a balloon if I go over 2500mg of salt (Its one of the things I monitor on my food app)....then I get frustrated if the scale won't budge...do I do keep an eye on it....but it is the thing I most go over on my food plan.
jajomo0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Nothing is bad about salt, it has been unnecessarily demonized by many a badly controlled study, and is being exonerated quite thoroughly these days.

Sodium is a good thing, especially when balanced with potassium and magnesium, and the 'problems' with salt come about from the overly processed foods that use it as a preserving agent and to cover their degraded nutrition and lack of taste, not the substance itself. Many conditions once attributed to sodium aggravation are now being proven to have a genetic component that is the biggest factor in their expression, not dietarily linked with salt.

Salt to taste, with real salt that provides plenty of other trace minerals, and you're fine unless you are one of the rare individuals with a sodium-sensitive condition. It isn't common and certainly most normal individuals eating a healthy, whole foods diet are not taking in too much sodium (processed, packaged foods are the culprits, not home cooking) by and large, and there is no reason to restrict intake unless medically indicated (and even then, some of those recommendations are bunk).
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #12  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Some people are more salt sensitive than others. This is a genetic thing. If you are salt sensitive salt can be a very bad thing. If you are not salt sensitive the safe range is a little more unclear. Most "recommended" levels are given for salt sensitive SEDENTARY people.
**DING DING DING**

I would go a step further and say if you're not salt sensative that sodium is simply no big deal and the body will get ride of excess sodium.

Having said that - sodium can cause you to retain water. It's not so much the sodium but rather the sodium to potassium ratio.

Furthermore, salt sensative or not a low sodium diet can keep help reduce blood pressure so if you're someone with high blood pressure a low sodium diet can help.

Personally we switched to salt lite a couple years ago. Tastes like salt but is half salt/half potassium.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #13  
banned

Height: 5'3"

Too much salt causes the body to retain water. It makes the heart have to work harder to pump all of that extra fluid, and increases blood pressure in most people.

I am extremely salt sensitive. Even a little causes swelling, fatigue, and tingling of my feet.

It's best I avoid it.

Some people though, can eat a lot of salt and nothing ever happens to them. Depends on the person.
QuarterLife88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #14  

I have noticed that alot of low-carb cooking seems to have really high sodium content? Why is that?
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata View Post
Oy, I don't mean to be unpleasant, linnyc, but... what you Googled just isn't grounded in much objectivity or facts. I mean, the chemical description is right, but calling it a poison is a bit much. Anything can be toxic; the dose makes the poison.

^This^
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote